PDA

View Full Version : The Tribe

turners56
08-25-2008, 09:59 PM
They're red hot and are only a game behind Detroit. I'm dreading about the last two series on this roadtrip.

hose
08-25-2008, 10:17 PM
bring it

kruzer31
08-26-2008, 12:49 AM
Why are we always feeling like we are gonna lose series, we can take 2 of 3 from BOS and 2 of 3 from the tribe. Not easy, but I think are bats will be very hot in those two parks. By mid next week i expect to be up 3 games

voodoochile
08-26-2008, 12:53 AM
They're red hot and are only a game behind Detroit. I'm dreading about the last two series on this roadtrip.

What's new. You dread every game...:rolleyes:

PeteWard
08-26-2008, 01:01 AM

It's "dreading about" every game. :rolleyes:

turners56
08-26-2008, 07:10 AM

I'm like that for a reason you know. I'm very superstitious.

doublem23
08-26-2008, 07:16 AM

Most superstitious people I know also believe in good luck, too.

Anyways, yes, the Indians have won 14 of their last 17 games, but they've done so against Toronto, Baltimore, Kansas City, Texas, and the recently struggling Angels.

:shrug:

Despite their hot streak, they've only picked up 2 games on the Sox in the last 2 weeks.

Chez
08-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Look at it this way; they're due to cool off! :D:

areilly
08-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Why are we always feeling like we are gonna lose series, we can take 2 of 3 from BOS and 2 of 3 from the tribe. Not easy, but I think are bats will be very hot in those two parks. By mid next week i expect to be up 3 games

The series against the Tribe could very well end with Grady Sizemore's head on a stick on Ontario Street, but I wouldn't be so sure about Boston. The Good Guys only salvaged a split on the South Side, albeit an ugly one that was one pitch away from 3-1 rather than 2-2, but that was from hitting home runs in a home run park.

BUT, Boston has obviously lost a step lately, so hopefully the (White) Sox can capitalize on it.

pythons007
08-26-2008, 12:15 PM

I think the word you are looking for is "pessimistic"!

munchman33
08-26-2008, 12:55 PM
They've still got two pitchers in that rotation that can beat anybody. So of course we should worry when facing them head to head.

doublem23
08-26-2008, 01:07 PM
They've still got two pitchers in that rotation that can beat anybody. So of course we should worry when facing them head to head.

Shocking.

Fausto Carmona's career ERA vs. the Sox is north of 5. Lee's is north of 6. They should worry when they face us.

munchman33
08-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Shocking.

Fausto Carmona's career ERA vs. the Sox is north of 5. Lee's is north of 6. They should worry when they face us.

I'll remember you pointed that out if we lose a game.

You know, we've faired pretty well against Justin Verlander too. Doesn't mean it isn't tough for our guys to beat him every time out. Cleveland doesn't have much of a rotation, but they have two of the better guys in the league anchoring it. You're fooling yourself if you think facing those two in a three game series won't be difficult.

doublem23
08-26-2008, 01:10 PM
I'll remember you pointed that out if we lose a game.

You know, we've faired pretty well against Justin Verlander too. Doesn't mean it isn't tough for our guys to beat him every time out. Cleveland doesn't have much of a rotation, but they have two of the better guys in the league anchoring it. You're fooling yourself if you think facing those two in a three game series won't be difficult.

The Indians ****ing suck.

munchman33
08-26-2008, 01:14 PM
The Indians ****ing suck.

Yes, they do. That doesn't change what I said.

turners56
08-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Most superstitious people I know also believe in good luck, too.

Anyways, yes, the Indians have won 14 of their last 17 games, but they've done so against Toronto, Baltimore, Kansas City, Texas, and the recently struggling Angels.

:shrug:

Despite their hot streak, they've only picked up 2 games on the Sox in the last 2 weeks.

Whenever I say something good will happen, the opposite occurs.

turners56
08-26-2008, 03:00 PM

It's not that I have no confidence in this team. It's just that in baseball, the records don't matter at times, especially on the road this year. The team with the most momentum can come in and outplay the better team. Just look at the playoffs of recent years. Were the Cardinals really better than the Tigers in 06?

The Indians are a good example of this. They've moved themselves from last place to a game out of third. This is nothing to brag about really, but they can possibly play spoiler.

turners56
08-26-2008, 03:01 PM
I think the word you are looking for is "pessimistic"!

Perhaps, but it's not like I speak badly about the team on a daily basis like some people here...

voodoochile
08-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Whenever I say something good will happen, the opposite occurs.

Could you please start trash talking my stock portfolio (such as it is?)

I used to be like you (sort of) always knocking on wood and looking for ways to twist the universe in my favor, then I realized, it's all in my head. What you think of as negative karma is simply your brain remember the shocking events that occurred at various times when you had the audacity to be happy prior to the final result.

I'm not hoping to change you. Superstitious people rarely will change, but there is help/hope for you if you want it. You simply have to stop believing that anything you say or do can influence events taking place a long way away from you.

Heck, start saying good things about Sox chances on consecutive days and eventually you will win a game when you actually said something positive. Once that happens, it's all down hill.

You cannot jinx the Sox or any other team you root for and actually, it's kind of flubbie fan like to think you can. We don't believe in black cats, goats or curses on the southside, we either got the horses or we don't. Let the sheep up north believe they can blow up and eat a baseball/goat/Bartman and change their fate. Sox fans know the game is decided between the lines.

turners56
08-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Could you please start trash talking my stock portfolio (such as it is?)

I used to be like you (sort of) always knocking on wood and looking for ways to twist the universe in my favor, then I realized, it's all in my head. What you think of as negative karma is simply your brain remember the shocking events that occurred at various times when you had the audacity to be happy prior to the final result.

I'm not hoping to change you. Superstitious people rarely will change, but there is help/hope for you if you want it. You simply have to stop believing that anything you say or do can influence events taking place a long way away from you.

Heck, start saying good things about Sox chances on consecutive days and eventually you will win a game when you actually said something positive. Once that happens, it's all down hill.

You cannot jinx the Sox or any other team you root for and actually, it's kind of flubbie fan like to think you can. We don't believe in black cats, goats or curses on the southside, we either got the horses or we don't. Let the sheep up north believe they can blow up and eat a baseball/goat/Bartman and change their fate. Sox fans know the game is decided between the lines.

I know that, but once you have a habit, it's hard to break loose. And whenever the habit is working, it's hard to not believe it. Yes, it's silly to think that anything I say or do has any effect on something that I have absolutely zero control of, but hey, it's something for me to do. If I want to sit on a certain couch when the Sox bat for good luck and it works, why not try it again? It's not like I avoid people named Joe who are shoeless or something...

voodoochile
08-26-2008, 03:14 PM
I know that, but once you have a habit, it's hard to break loose. And whenever the habit is working, it's hard to not believe it. Yes, it's silly to think that anything I say or do has any effect on something that I have absolutely zero control of, but hey, it's something for me to do. If I want to sit on a certain couch when the Sox bat for good luck and it works, why not try it again? It's not like I avoid people named Joe who are shoeless or something...

I found it got nuts. I still have few. Like I'll stand and sing the seventh inning stretch regardless of if I am at the park. Oh and I do the break before the Sox bat in the seventh as that stretch - for road games that means before the top of the seventh and I won't stand up during the other team's seventh inning or prior to it, but that's about it other than rubbing a hat for a little luck here and there.

If you're happy, then have fun...

hawkjt
08-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Looks like the Sox will face Cliff lee on monday...rats.
As Hawk always says and i agree...it's not who you play , its when you play them. We are catching the tribe at a bad time. they are playing loosey-goosey with nothing to lose.

I like our chances better vs the Red Sox.

voodoochile
08-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Looks like the Sox will face Cliff lee on monday...rats.
As Hawk always says and i agree...it's not who you play , its when you play them. We are catching the tribe at a bad time. they are playing loosey-goosey with nothing to lose.

I like our chances better vs the Red Sox.

If making the playoffs in MLB and/or winning the whole damned thing was easy, everyone would be doing it and it wouldn't be special...