PDA

View Full Version : What is "Fan Excitement"

34 Inch Stick
05-13-2002, 04:57 PM
Does this mean that if 15,000 people show up and are really into the game that we can afford a trade? If not then come out and tell us how many per game it will take to get another pitcher. 20,000 is doable. 25,000 will get us to 2 mil. Tell us what you need and maybe you will inspire us to attend.

Or have another big giveaway (like bobbleheads). Give it to every person over 20,000 that comes in the gates. Or the first 5,000 and the first 5,000 over 20 get it.

I'm no marketing genius but give us something to rely on. If we don't get to a certain number we know you won't trade. If we do then you give us what we want.

RedPinStripes
05-13-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Does this mean that if 15,000 people show up and are really into the game that we can afford a trade? If not then come out and tell us how many per game it will take to get another pitcher. 20,000 is doable. 25,000 will get us to 2 mil. Tell us what you need and maybe you will inspire us to attend.

Or have another big giveaway (like bobbleheads). Give it to every person over 20,000 that comes in the gates. Or the first 5,000 and the first 5,000 over 20 get it.

I'm no marketing genius but give us something to rely on. If we don't get to a certain number we know you won't trade. If we do then you give us what we want.

I think it was KW's way of inspiring us instead of threatening like he's done in the past.

MarqSox
05-13-2002, 11:09 PM

I'm not sure if the Sox have publicly stated a number, but I know they'd be satisfied if we averaged 27,000. Even if they set that as a goal, I don't think that would "inspire" people to come out... either you want to go see the Sox or you don't, and if you don't, KW announcing a goal won't make you care. Just go see the games because you love the Sox, not to achieve some corporate goal.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-13-2002, 11:25 PM
Thing is, people want to see a CONSISTENT winner. One year here, one year there won't cut it. If you want people to commit to tickets, then you have to prove that you will repeat the feat. They could have great attendance this year if they hadn't forgetten to play last April and early May and made the play-offs. Once the Sox prove that they can win consistently, the season ticket base will grow, walk up in the summer will grow, and hence attendance overall will grow. As I have heard marketing genius Rob Gallas say, Winning is the best marketing there is.

GASHWOUND
05-13-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

I'm not sure if the Sox have publicly stated a number, but I know they'd be satisfied if we averaged 27,000. Even if they set that as a goal, I don't think that would "inspire" people to come out... either you want to go see the Sox or you don't, and if you don't, KW announcing a goal won't make you care. Just go see the games because you love the Sox, not to achieve some corporate goal.

Exactly, either you want too go see the Sox or you don't

Procol Harum
05-14-2002, 10:40 AM

You gotta be kidding, right? Like Sox fans (and I emphasize FANS) should take this extortion seriously???? KW and Sox management will consider making a deal that might put us over the top if we'll go rah-rah and have some sort of a Sunday School contest to pack the stands?? Like our support over the years to a franchise that has won exactly squat since 1917 doesn't qualify? KW's latest "hint" to Sox fans is just another in a continued line of "blame the fans" abuse.

Kilroy
05-14-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

You gotta be kidding, right? Like Sox fans (and I emphasize FANS) should take this extortion seriously???? KW and Sox management will consider making a deal that might put us over the top if we'll go rah-rah and have some sort of a Sunday School contest to pack the stands?? Like our support over the years to a franchise that has won exactly squat since 1917 doesn't qualify? KW's latest "hint" to Sox fans is just another in a continued line of "blame the fans" abuse.

That's B.S. There's a saying: You gotta spend money to make money. JR and the rest of the fat-cats that own the Sox need to cut into their profit margins for a change and get the extra help this team needs. JR claims that he'd trade all 6 Bulls titles for 1 Series title? I believe him. But what he's not willing to do is cut into that profit he has from the Bulls and the last 4 low payroll seasons still with great attendance and spend that money on the Sox.

On one hand I can see that. It's a business and it needs to sustain itself. On the other hand, where's the passion to win it all? What the Sox need is a Mark Cuban type that's not a complete ass-wipe.

As presently constituted, they have a shot to make it to the playoffs, and maybe win a game or two, a series if lucky. But they need more pitching if they are gonna get to the promised land. Dip into your pockets JR and make it happen. If you do, what you sacrafice now will come back to you 10-fold in the future.

34 Inch Stick
05-14-2002, 12:06 PM
My point is reliance. If he ties a trade to an exact number then if the Sox don't draw that number at least we will not have to waste anxious moments on wishing for help that isn't coming.

The longer we wait the more I can smell a Josh Paul for Jason Bere deal (or some other B.S. along those lines).

As I have always advocated, move now before demand increases and a crazy market materializes. A longer wait will result in price increasing and a further justification for making no move....And once again the reason given for no move being made will be us.

raul12
05-14-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

JR claims that he'd trade all 6 Bulls titles for 1 Series title? I believe him. But what he's not willing to do is cut into that profit he has from the Bulls and the last 4 low payroll seasons still with great attendance and spend that money on the Sox.

I used to believe that he would trade all 6 bulls titles for one WS title, but i don't believe him anymore. what did he pay jordan in his last years? 25M? heck, if he was willing to shell out that kind of money for one player (granted, the greatest ever to play basketball), and if he'd trade all 6 titles for one WS title, what should he be willing to shell out to bring in quality players from outside the organization?!

do we have enough right now to win a WS title this year or anytime in the near future? @Q#$ no! so get some balls, and go out there and back up your words with action. (but we all know JR and KW are just feeding us BS...)