That ballpark always creeps me out.

Nice W

Let's go M's!

thomas35forever
08-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Glad Bobby could nail it down. Now let's get 'em again tomorrow!:bandance:

october23sp
Needed that one can't get swept by the O's on one day.

DumpJerry
From now on, Alexei's new name is ROY.

infohawk
08-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Great win! I was watching on gamecast. There's something about trying to close out a game in the ninth inning in Baltimore that makes me nervous. It seems like Bobby struggles a bit there.

Vienna
I'll take it. Shake off the loss and keep going!

Frater Perdurabo

I'd be satisfied calling him "starting shortstop" and "leadoff hitter."

Adele_H
Let me be the first one to say this..... Alexei for lead-off :bandance::bandance::bandance:

Ozzie's move to remove Richard with only 80-some pitches paid off, credit where due.

Marqhead
http://crashtheconventions.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/borat.jpg
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccceeeee!

Great win. Great job by the bullpen. Props to Richard for recovering and going 6 strong. Come on M's!

arKnaD7
08-25-2008, 10:23 PM
This is what I look like when the Sox win :smile:

BadBobbyJenks
08-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Thatta boy Clayton.

I don't like that Alexei does not walk, but I had no idea his obp is roughly the same as OC's. I guess it can't hurt to try him there.

cbone
08-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Nice win.:bandance: Keep it rolling. :bandance: Go Ms!!!!!:gulp:

JB98
Good pitch by Jenks on 2-0 to retire his nemesis, Brian Roberts. A little late movement on that fastball was just enough to get in on Roberts and cause the weak pop to JD.

voodoochile

Funny, I was wondering if it should be changed to LOH, but he's probably better lower in the order where he can drive in runs.

Would have liked to take advantage of some of those scoring opportunities and put this game away earlier, but can't argue with the results.

Go you M's.

:winner

:bandance:

:)

:moonwalk:

JungleJimR
Thanks to Jenks - and whew!
The last 2 innings: Sox have 1st and 2nd and no outs; then 1st and 3rd and one out - without a Sox run!

But Bobby saves the day.

JB98
08-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Let me be the first one to say this..... Alexei for lead-off :bandance::bandance::bandance:

Ozzie's move to remove Richard with only 80-some pitches paid off, credit where due.

Ozzie did manage the pitching staff nicely in this game. I ripped him for having AJ bunt in the suspended game, but he managed a good ballgame in the nightcap.

DumpJerry
08-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Thatta boy Clayton.

I don't like that Alexei does not walk, but I had no idea his obp is roughly the same as OC's. I guess it can't hurt to try him there.
I don't either, but I'm getting used to it. He has a huge swing area as was pointed out by Hawk and DJ.

Rdy2PlayBall
08-25-2008, 10:27 PM
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/6236/neweria1.jpg
Might as well use the banner I made for no reason somewhere! xD I might as well just save Alexei's head since he's always the guy I'm putting up there! :tongue:

Great win, the bull-pen actualy shut a team down! :bandance:

october23sp
08-25-2008, 10:27 PM
I don't think Cabrera will be missed next season.:D:

Cuck the Fubs
08-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Thank you White Sox for the :happybday gift to me!

Now let's win the series, and keep rolling along :gulp:

Vienna
08-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Stone to Farmer regarding The Missile as leadoff -- "looks pretty good from here." Indeed.

soltrain21
08-25-2008, 10:33 PM
If we were to put TCM as lead off; what do you do with Orlando? Do we slide him to second and find a different spot for AJ, or do we leave AJ and just swap Orlando and Alexei?

Stringer
08-25-2008, 10:33 PM
We tied the game with a balk and got the lead with a solo homer

:(:

I'll take it, though

Lets get them tomorrow

ElevenUp
08-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Nice way to rebound after a loss. Let's get after those O's tomorrow!

Tragg
08-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Alexei is a good hitter....but he could be a great hitter if he would take a few walks. It would have a multiplier effect - the additional walks would help his OBP plus he's start to see better pitches. He can really handle a bat.
Cabrera - you know - he's okay, nothing special. I have nothing against him....he hits better than Uribe. But offer him arb.

Whitesoxfan23
08-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Awesome win. Alexei is a RBI machine. I rather him hit further down in the lineup.

turners56
08-25-2008, 10:39 PM
I don't think Cabrera will be missed next season.:D:

Time to move OC to the two spot. If not, he can bat 9th. I hope his ego is ok with that. BTW, Crede was very good at 3rd today.

Adele_H
08-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Ozzie did manage the pitching staff nicely in this game. I ripped him for having AJ bunt in the suspended game, but he managed a good ballgame in the nightcap.

I ripped Ozzie about a dozen times for NOT pulling the starter until wheels come off.

So it would be kinda hypocritical for me NOT to give him props when he makes a risky move to remove the guy and trust recent goats Dotel/Thornton to redeem themselves.

sullythered
08-25-2008, 10:42 PM
The only reason I don't like leading Alexei off is that he's one hell of a run producer. I like having men on base in front of him.

cws05champ
08-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Awesome win. Alexei is a RBI machine. I rather him hit further down in the lineup.
Amen...I don't want a guy who is hitting like .425 with RISP at leadoff. are you kidding me! Even if he gets on he has proven that he is a not a good base stealer yet.

Good win...take the next two and I'll see you guys in Beantown.

alohafri
08-25-2008, 10:43 PM

I'll take it, though

Lets get them tomorrow

To quote Al Davis..."Just win baby."

ChiSox89
08-25-2008, 10:46 PM
yea a wins a win and ill take it

Stringer
08-25-2008, 10:47 PM
To quote Al Davis..."Just win baby."

Have you seen the Raiders lately?

lol

ChiSox89
08-25-2008, 10:56 PM
pitching in this game was vert good. good outing by richard and nice three innings by the bullpen

kevingrt
08-25-2008, 11:02 PM
Thank you Octavio, Matt, and bobby. You guys got the job done tonight. Nice job.

Hokiesox
08-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Great win! I was watching on gamecast. There's something about trying to close out a game in the ninth inning in Baltimore that makes me nervous. It seems like Bobby struggles a bit there.

I was listening to the post game report on my way home from the park and Johnny Miller was saying Jenks is 1-2 with a 9.25 ERA, though he did have 5 saves, prior to tonight at Camden Yards! You aren't imagining things.

--Make it six saves.

And the pitching was outstanding for both teams. Other than Ramirez's hit to lead off the game, and the subsequent poorly played ball in the same inning, there wasn't a ball hit to the outfield until the 4th inning for either team. Great game to watch too, even if the suspended game sucked.

RockJock07
A win is a win. HAVE to get better with men on, no need to even use bobby tonight because the sox should have been up at least another 3-4 runs.

Tragg
Richard looked like he pitched a solid game stats wise. How did he look though?

Hokiesox
08-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Richard looked like he pitched a solid game stats wise. How did he look though?

He had great command tonight. He got behind a few times early, but managed to come back on all in the early innings. I think he gave up a walk in the 4th (maybe the third?). He also had some great defense behind him. Crede made an excellent grab at third, and Uribe got a slow roller from a deep position to get somebody. Other than the 4th, I don't think he was in much trouble.

asindc
08-25-2008, 11:12 PM
I was listening to the post game report on my way home from the park and Johnny Miller was saying Jenks is 1-2 with a 9.25 ERA, though he did have 5 saves, prior to tonight at Camden Yards! You aren't imagining things.

--Make it six saves.

And the pitching was outstanding for both teams. Other than Ramirez's hit to lead off the game, and the subsequent poorly played ball in the same inning, there wasn't a ball hit to the outfield until the 4th inning for either team. Great game to watch too, even if the suspended game sucked.

You are having a flashback. Jon Miller is in SF now. That was Fred Manfra you heard.

Glad to get the win. The last two games I attended in Balt., Bobby blew each game. I left after the top 8, so maybe that's the trick. I think Brian Burres is pitching for the O's tomorrow, so it would be a good time to break out the bats.

TDog
08-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Jim Thome's home run was the difference, as they say, but so was Ramirez. Ramirez really had a great game.

I would have no problem with Ramirez leading off, although I can understand why he hasn't been leading off. He has come a long way this season. He has a good chance of leading AL rookies in both batting average and home runs, If you look at the line from the suspended game, you can see how far he has come. He didn't start hitting until May. He didn't become an everyday player until May 15. When he hit his first home run, to win a game in San Francisco May 16, he was only hitting .191. Anyone who believed in Ramirez at that point, not as a potential star, but as a star of the present, was keeping it a secret.

Unfortunately, Ramirez hasn't been as disruptive as he should be once he gets on base. He isn't a very good base stealer. Too often he tends to get poor jumps or get picked off. Tonight was different, though.

I'm not sure if Ramirez starting at shortstop was really a message to Cabrera or providing Cabrera with a needed day off.

By the way, I never doubted that Jenks could pick up the save. His innings pitched aganst the Orioles are too small a sample to exclude him from closing against he Orioles. As if Guillen has any realistic choice.

Hokiesox
08-25-2008, 11:15 PM
You are having a flashback. Jon Miller is in SF now. That was Fred Manfra you heard.

Glad to get the win. The last two games I attended in Balt., Bobby blew each game. I left after the top 8, so maybe that's the trick. I think Brian Burres is pitching for the O's tomorrow, so it would be a good time to break out the bats.

Whoa... so did I! Not proud of it, but my dad has to go to work tomorrow.

hose
08-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Thank you Octavio, Matt, and bobby. You guys got the job done tonight. Nice job.

:worship:

Britt Burns
08-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Man, if we can get this from Richard every five days...

:bandance:

Boondock Saint
08-25-2008, 11:26 PM
If we were to put TCM as lead off; what do you do with Orlando? Do we slide him to second and find a different spot for AJ, or do we leave AJ and just swap Orlando and Alexei?

Alexei doesn't really take walks, but he can foul off a ton of pitches, forcing forcing pitchers to throw a lot of pitches early (something you want from your lead-off man), and potentially frustrating less patient pitchers into throwing meatballs. That type of thing (potentially) will lead to more lead-off doubles. When that happens, you want a guy you can trust to move the runner to third, and I think that's OC.

jabrch
08-25-2008, 11:34 PM
I'd be satisfied calling him "starting shortstop" and "leadoff hitter."

I'm half with you...I agree on starting SS.

I'm not sure I agree on leadoff hitter. He's a run producer. He's not a great base stealer despite being fast. He has 25+ HR power. He is a middle of the order (6? 7?) type hitter to me. He strikes out a lot and doesn't walk much. As a leadoff hitter, he'd be out of place. Sounds a lot like the 18mm man on the north side - except for 17mm less.

jabrch
08-25-2008, 11:49 PM

I like AJ in the #2 spot. He is a good fastball hitter - and sees a lot of them in the #2 hole. He's hitting near .300 this year - I'd keep him there.

DC Sox Fan
08-26-2008, 12:07 AM
just got home- enjoyed the win! I hung out by the sox BP, and Nieves tossed me one of the balls the outfielders were using to warm up, so a nice little bonus souvenir for me :cool:

It was absolutely eerie being there for the re-start of the suspended game. Maybe 500 people in attendance. You could hear individual players yelling and the players chatting from the dugout.

oeo
08-26-2008, 12:16 AM
I'm half with you...I agree on starting SS.

I'm not sure I agree on leadoff hitter. He's a run producer. He's not a great base stealer despite being fast. He has 25+ HR power. He is a middle of the order (6? 7?) type hitter to me. He strikes out a lot and doesn't walk much. As a leadoff hitter, he'd be out of place. Sounds a lot like the 18mm man on the north side - except for 17mm less.

This is all true if you don't think Alexei will develop at all.

His walks and stolen bases are definitely two things he can improve upon. I still don't think we know enough about the guy to say he's just a hacker, he's a poor SS, he can't steal bases, etc. Let's watch the guy develop and then make these claims.

I do, however, agree that he shouldn't be a leadoff hitter. Unless, of course, we still don't have anyone to fill that role next year. Then I think he becomes the leadoff hitter by default.

jabrch
08-26-2008, 12:24 AM
This is all true if you don't think Alexei will develop at all.

That's true

I still don't think we know enough about the guy to say he's just a hacker, he's a poor SS, he can't steal bases, etc. Let's watch the guy develop and then make these claims.

I didn't say any of those things. (just because he isn't a good base stealer doesn't mean he can't steal bases) I'm just going on what he is today. In the future, if he becomes more a leadoff hitter, it might makes sense. Right now, as it stands, he's not a leadoff hitter. Who knows what he will be in the future...right now - he's best suited hitting lower down in the order.

DSpivack
08-26-2008, 12:44 AM
just got home- enjoyed the win! I hung out by the sox BP, and Nieves tossed me one of the balls the outfielders were using to warm up, so a nice little bonus souvenir for me :cool:

It was absolutely eerie being there for the re-start of the suspended game. Maybe 500 people in attendance. You could hear individual players yelling and the players chatting from the dugout.

I was sitting under the overhang behind homeplate, didn't realize it was that empty, that's crazy.

Great park, good fans around me of both teams, and one good result.

bgsoxfan
08-26-2008, 01:38 AM
Twins lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigP50
08-26-2008, 01:55 AM
Congrats to Jim passing Jimmie Foxx for 15th on the all-time HR list

and oh yea

Adrian Beltre, WALK ME OFF!!!!!!!!

Mohoney
08-26-2008, 02:41 AM
Zero errors and zero runs given up by the bullpen.

Lillian
08-26-2008, 05:48 AM
Alexei's bat is too valuable for him to be placed as far down in the order as he has been for most of the season. Placing him nearer the top will get him extra at bats.
As far a leading off is concerned, he lacks the plate discipline to hit there, and as has been pointed out, he is not a base stealer. When he learns to take more pitches, and steal bases, he could be a great lead off hitter.
For now, with his tremendous numbers with men on base, he probably should be in the middle of the order.
If he is going to bat lead off, then it might be interesting to see if Cabrera could do what he was brought here to do, that is to be a number 2 hole guy, who can hit behind the runner.

Alexei would be a good guy to send on a hit and run, and if O. C. could execute, we could have a lot of first and third opportunities. I have my doubts about Cabrera, but it might be worth a shot.
I think A. J. can hit anywhere in the lineup, but batting second has seemed to benefit him.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-26-2008, 07:43 AM
I have no problem with Ramirez leading off despite the fact he does not walk much. He brings a lot more to the table than other players on the team for that position and should lead off.

First, his OBP is higher than Cabrera's, and that is taking into account the full season, the first month of which Ramirez's numbers were terrible as he was making the adjustment to the majors.

His speed puts pressure on the other team and he has a better chance of taking an extra base on a hit than anyone else on the Sox.

You only leadoff once to start a game, plus the hitters at the top of the order bat more, on average, than those at the bottom of the order, and I would like to see Ramirez get more at bats late in the game.

Moving him to leadoff would push Cabrera to number 2, a better spot for him since he is not a prototypical leadoff hitter, and it would drop AJ to 6th or so, which is where I think he fits better. I like to see someone who can do more of the little things (bunt, hit and run, etc.) in the 2 slot.

Yes, it is late in the year to make a change, but I would like to see Ozzie try it for a few games to see how it works.

DumpJerry
08-26-2008, 07:53 AM

On the radio, it sounded like a full house when the O's won. Glad to hear it was not that full.

delben91
08-26-2008, 07:54 AM

Short of some sort of season ending injury occurring, I can't think of a reason to be sad about a Sox win or see the :(: face in the post-game win thread.

Then again, maybe I'm crazy, being happy when the Sox win. :rolleyes:

PorkChopExpress
08-26-2008, 08:09 AM

As in ROY Hobbs?

Quentin08
08-26-2008, 08:09 AM
On the radio, it sounded like a full house when the O's won. Glad to hear it was not that full.

Last night, our home attendance figure dropped from an avg 31,003 to 30,802. I'm confused why last night's game was added into our home attendance numbers. Did they add the April game's attendance to last night's attendance, or how did that work?

And one more question: if we win the next 2, is that considered a sweep?

voodoochile
08-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Last night, our home attendance figure dropped from an avg 31,003 to 30,802. I'm confused why last night's game was added into our home attendance numbers. Did they add the April game's attendance to last night's attendance, or how did that work?

And one more question: if we win the next 2, is that considered a sweep?

Yes and Yes.

Basically the attendance couldn't be factored in until the game was completed. If the games got canceled yesterday and the teams decided to not redo them unless necessary (after the season ends) then none of the records would have counted if the game never got completed.

Yesterday's completion gets thrown into April's series. It does not count toward this series. Odd to see the standings listing the Sox as being on a two game winning streak, but they are...

asindc
08-26-2008, 12:25 PM

The O's season ticket holders began showing up about the 13th inning, so most of the crowd was there by the time the first game ended. It was rather empty at the start of the first game, though. I sat in the second tier up from the 3rd base line, and I could hear chatter on the field at the beginning.

Strange, but the Sox cheers were almost as loud as the O's cheers during the game, and they did not seem to want to cheer us down. Maybe they are numb to the fact that other teams' fans show up in big numbers at their park now. During the 90s, there were maybe only a couple of hundred Sox fans at any given O's game. Last night, maybe a few thousand!

DSpivack
08-26-2008, 12:38 PM
The O's season ticket holders began showing up about the 13th inning, so most of the crowd was there by the time the first game ended. It was rather empty at the start of the first game, though. I sat in the second tier up from the 3rd base line, and I could hear chatter on the field at the beginning.

Strange, but the Sox cheers were almost as loud as the O's cheers during the game, and they did not seem to want to cheer us down. Maybe they are numb to the fact that other teams' fans show up in big numbers at their park now. During the 90s, there were maybe only a couple of hundred Sox fans at any given O's game. Last night, maybe a few thousand!

That, and I think they had the Red Sox and Yankees in town last week; they're used to those fans taking over their park and have battles going back and forth in cheering, etc.

TDog
08-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Yes and Yes.

Basically the attendance couldn't be factored in until the game was completed. If the games got canceled yesterday and the teams decided to not redo them unless necessary (after the season ends) then none of the records would have counted if the game never got completed. ...

I understood things differently. The records of the players obviously counted. Baseball didn't wait until the completion of the game to recognize Quentin's sixth home run (or Uribe's second, but he isn't leading baseball in the category). Had the game been declared a tie, as I said at the time of the suspension it should have been and would have been under older rules, all the records would have counted. Jack Brickhouse long ago told a story about a scoreless or low-scoring opening day extra-inning tie and a player who came up seven times without getting a hit, complaining the next day that the season hadn't started yet and already he was 0-for-7. Maybe it was an exaggeration.

I think the attendance not being factored in until the game was complete had to do with computer software that totals such things. Attendance should be counted as soon as the games become official, and even if the suspended game were never resumed, it would have been official.

October26
08-26-2008, 04:39 PM
One thing I wanted to mention after game 2 last night was how much fun Ozzie has after a win. At the end of the game, they showed Ozzie greeting the players near the steps of the dugout. To some players like Dye and Uribe, Ozzie gave kicks in the behind (jokingly, of course) and to others like Jenks and Thome, Ozzie gave great big hugs. This was so funny to me.

After all of the years - Ozzie is still having fun. And as he likes to say - fun is winning and winning is fun!

Go Sox!