PDA

View Full Version : The other side of Firing Jerry Manuel

MattSharp
05-13-2002, 02:55 PM
No one thinks the guy should get canned more than I do, but heres some things I have been thinking about.

Dick Jauron IMO is very similar. No coaching skills, but tons of talent. So it looks like hes doing a good job when upon a closer look he isn't. Jauron just got a contract extension. So based on that Jerry isn't going anywhere.

In order for else to all get what we want (Jerry fired), we would have to sacrifice what we all want even more (a shot at the World Series). The only way JM will get fired is if the Sox totally go in the tank and suck it up the rest of the way. So its kinda ironic. If we want JM to get fired, then the Sox will have to lose, but if we want the Sox to win, chances are it will earn JM a contract extension and more money.....

MarqSox
05-13-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
No one thinks the guy should get canned more than I do, but heres some things I have been thinking about.

Dick Jauron IMO is very similar. No coaching skills, but tons of talent. So it looks like hes doing a good job when upon a closer look he isn't. Jauron just got a contract extension. So based on that Jerry isn't going anywhere.

In order for else to all get what we want (Jerry fired), we would have to sacrifice what we all want even more (a shot at the World Series). The only way JM will get fired is if the Sox totally go in the tank and suck it up the rest of the way. So its kinda ironic. If we want JM to get fired, then the Sox will have to lose, but if we want the Sox to win, chances are it will earn JM a contract extension and more money.....

I like Jerry.

PANFIRECRACKER
05-14-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp

good motivator, bad strategist

cheeses_h_rice
05-14-2002, 02:05 PM
I like Jerry, too.

He's made his share of bad decisions, sure, but overall I prefer him to many of the so-called managers out there.

I'm not sure what many here expect from this team as currently comprised. Unrealistic expectations, it sounds like to me.

RedPinStripes
05-14-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by PANFIRECRACKER

good motivator, bad strategist

Short, sweet, perfect way to put it.

MattSharp
05-14-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Short, sweet, perfect way to put it.

Yea thats great, motivation won't win as many games and being a bad strategist will lose games. Hes a lovable guy, but he cant manage for crap.....