PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Heard This

fado
05-13-2002, 01:00 PM
There is a rumor circulating that the Sox have traded Thomas to Montreal for two pitchers. It started this morning and now I'm hearing more people talking about it.

And if this was true, Thomas would probably be traded under the diminshed skills clause so that Montreal could afford him right?

Anyone heard anything?

Daver
05-13-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by fado
There is a rumor circulating that the Sox have traded Thomas to Montreal for two pitchers. It started this morning and now I'm hearing more people talking about it.

And if this was true, Thomas would probably be traded under the diminshed skills clause so that Montreal could afford him right?

Anyone heard anything?

Their is a clause in that contract which voids the diminished skills clause in the event of a trade.That being said there is also a no trade clause in that contract,and Frank as a 5/10 guy can refuse any trade,I doubt he would agree to get traded to the Expos.

FarWestChicago
05-13-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by daver

Frank as a 5/10 guy can refuse any trade,I doubt he would agree to get traded to the Expos. Why is that, Daver? :smile:

MattSharp
05-13-2002, 01:49 PM
I can't imagine this is true mainly due to the 5/10 rule. Plus it would have to be out somewhere. Call your local Sports AM station and ask, they will prolly say no.....

Soxboyrob
05-13-2002, 03:05 PM
Actually, I'd be surprised if Frank vetoed a trade to anyone for the reason being that a trade locks his contract up for the remaining 4-5 seasons at $10M per year. Under the current agreement w/ the Sox, the Sox can get out of the deal for a deferred $10 million. Frank has repeatedly expressed concern about this clause and it appears obvious to me that he's afraid that the Sox will actually exercise it. Based on his performance this season, he might be very willing to accept a trade to lock up the remaining $40-$50 (i can't remember how many years remain) millilon. Just my thoughts. I can't help but to believe he'd welcome a trade. On a separate note, hard to imagine he'd be going to the NL in any trade, since he's kind of a mess, defensively. He'd probably stay in the AL.

CerberusWG
05-13-2002, 03:07 PM
The only two pitchers I would want from Montreal would have to be Vazquez and Armas Jr.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-13-2002, 03:33 PM
Montreal wont be around long so they could trade away young pitchers, but i doubt Thomas would go there. He would have to play defense everygame and he would going to another team in a year most likely anyway.

However, i would only accept Vasquez and Armas Jr. as well.

Garrison
05-13-2002, 03:45 PM
I have to believe that if this were true ESPN, CLTV, etc. would be all over it. I highly doubt it could slip through the cracks only to a few people and word of mouth. It would definately be a big deal. Vasquez and Armas Jr would be a nice and welcomed addition, but for Frank? He has struggled so far but I think that would be pushing the panic button way too soon.

Mathew
05-13-2002, 03:50 PM
Why and how would Montreal trade for Frank Thomas, even for a year? Ahhhh, Larry Walker, Cliff Floyd, Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, ring a bell? They can't afford anybody on their own team, let alone their decent performance thus far is no reason to make a trade? That's crazy? :?:

Randar68
05-13-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
However, i would only accept Vasquez and Armas Jr. as well.

I, too, would do this deal in a heartbeat.

Jjav829
05-13-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by fado

Anyone heard anything?

I seriously doubt this is true, but where did you hear it?

Randar68
05-13-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

I seriously doubt this is true, but where did you hear it?

I have no doubt this is a bogus claim, but as I said, Thomas for Armas Jr. and Vazquez? I'd do it.

RedPinStripes
05-13-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

I have no doubt this is a bogus claim, but as I said, Thomas for Armas Jr. and Vazquez? I'd do it.

I don't even have to think twice about that. Too bad it's not true.

Cheryl
05-14-2002, 10:09 AM
I heard this rumor on WBEZ, so I know it's not true.

For out of towners, that's the local NPR station. They're not known for their sports coverage.

charlie browned
05-14-2002, 11:37 AM
You know how much money the Expos get from their TV contract?

$500,000 per year.

The Yankees get $57 million a year from theirs.

The Expos have to stick with the "youth movement" scam that poor secondary market teams who can't afford anybody promote. [Interesting piece on all this in today's Wall Street Journal by the owner of the Padres.]

Frank's not going there soon, unless the Expos discover oil under Olympic Stadium.

Reinsdorf's Big Lie is that the Sox are just one of those poor secondary market teams--Rob Gallas has been paid to hype the youth movement for years now. Yeah right, Jerry and Kenny--if Chicago is a secondary market, what's Cleveland?

Moses_Scurry
05-14-2002, 11:46 AM
It could be that the Expos would get Frank with the intention of trading him right away to a team that needs him. Didn't Florida do that with Mike Piazza? I seem to remember them trading someone to the Dodgers for him and then turning around and trading him to the Mets a week later. I remember that everyone on TV knew right when the trade was made that the Marlins would not be keeping him.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-14-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Moses_Scurry
Didn't Florida do that with Mike Piazza? I seem to remember them trading someone to the Dodgers for him and then turning around and trading him to the Mets a week later. I remember that everyone on TV knew right when the trade was made that the Marlins would not be keeping him.

yes they did do that.

also montreal brought in a lot of "old" players this spring as they are now owned by mlb, and if you arnt going to be around next year why not trade away the future to bring a couple more fans out now.

Procol Harum
05-14-2002, 03:19 PM
The only scenario that would make me think that this trade could possibly happen is if Bud Selig is orchestrating favors for his best buddy JR. At that point I will also begin to suspect that mysterious white busses really are ferrying U.N. troops to and fro across the country...

Jerry_Manuel
05-14-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by charlie browned
Reinsdorf's Big Lie is that the Sox are just one of those poor secondary market teams--Rob Gallas has been paid to hype the youth movement for years now. Yeah right, Jerry and Kenny--if Chicago is a secondary market, what's Cleveland?

Cleveland during their run had 40,000 asses in the seats every game. Reinsdorf isn't going to lose money, so as long as the crowds are 15,000-20,000 a game, the payroll will stay at 54-60 million. Which as we all know isn't much these days.

It's Gallas's and Reinsdorf's fault that nobody is in the seats though.