PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox last ever visit to Yankee Stadium?

Fenway
08-25-2008, 01:33 PM
The computer gurus who come up with the MLB schedule obviously have no regard to history.

The Red Sox make their last ever regular season visit to Yankee Stadium this week and honestly they should have been the last team to play there in the regular season. Boston opened the Stadium in 1923 and there have been some very memorable games over 85 years.

Dan Shaughnessy reflects

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/08/shaughnessy_las.htmlh

http://www.nydailynews.com/features/thestadium/img/magazine_02/01-yankees_M2_660.jpg

bigsoxfan420
08-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Who care? **** the Yankees and the Red Sox.

munchman33
08-25-2008, 01:40 PM
I hear you Fenway. It would only make sense, they have one of the biggest rivalries in the sport. I would have naturally assumed that would be the case. It seems rather wrong it didn't work out that way.

soltrain21
08-25-2008, 01:49 PM

I care. That should have been the last series there. But anything that makes people bitch about ESPN and bias, I guess.

Fenway
08-25-2008, 01:50 PM

Remember the Red Sox and the White Sox may be fighting for the wild card

UofCSoxFan
08-25-2008, 02:06 PM

This is the general major league baseball discussion forum. If you aren't interested in the Yankees or Red Sox don't click on the thread in the first place.

Fenway
08-25-2008, 02:15 PM
I hear you Fenway. It would only make sense, they have one of the biggest rivalries in the sport. I would have naturally assumed that would be the case. It seems rather wrong it didn't work out that way.

LOL when Yankee Stadium opened in 1923 it had EIGHT bathrooms :gulp:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/stadium_history.jsp

Boston Garden closed with Montreal

Maple Leaf Gardens closed with Chicago ( who opened the building )

UofCSoxFan
08-25-2008, 02:23 PM

Old Comiskey closed with the Seattle Mariners....a hallowed rivalry that is.

Fenway
08-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Old Comiskey closed with the Seattle Mariners....a hallowed rivalry that is.

That was wrong as well...but it would have been hard for the Browns to play in 1990 :tongue:

areilly
08-25-2008, 02:43 PM
That was wrong as well...but it would have been hard for the Browns to play in 1990 :tongue:

They could've played the Cleveland Browns instead.

Man, that would've been awesome.

skottyj242
08-25-2008, 02:50 PM
This is the general major league baseball discussion forum. If you aren't interested in the Yankees or Red Sox don't click on the thread in the first place.

Leave the modding to the mods.

P.S. **** the Red Sox.

eriqjaffe
08-25-2008, 02:51 PM
That was wrong as well...but it would have been hard for the Browns to play in 1990 :tongue:But perfectly possible for the Orioles.

bigsoxfan420
08-25-2008, 02:57 PM

Boy people are so touchy here. I agree with Fenway, it is rediculous that the BoSox aren't closing out The Stadium, especially if they were the first to paly there. This just shows that MLB with all its success still misses the mark, seemingly a lot.

UofCSoxFan
08-25-2008, 03:13 PM

P.S. **** the Red Sox.

Not trying to be a mod...but at the same time I enjoy Fenway's perspective, especially given that we are batting the Red Sox for a position right now, and would hate for him to stop posting here if all he gets is fairly rude responses. I was just trying to stick up for him is all.

bigsoxfan420
08-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Not trying to be a mod...but at the same time I enjoy Fenway's perspective, especially given that we are batting the Red Sox for a position right now, and would hate for him to stop posting here if all he gets is fairly rude responses. I was just trying to stick up for him is all.

I doubt any statement I could make would make Fenway to stop posting here. He pobably has some of the most threads started here at WSI.

doublem23
08-25-2008, 03:23 PM

Leave the modding to us. :cool:

Max Power
08-25-2008, 03:27 PM
I was surprised when I learned the Red Sox weren't going to close out Yankee Stadium. But the Yankees were originally located in Baltimore so perhaps having the Orioles close out the Stadium is somewhat appropriate. Maybe? Kind of? Ok, not really. At least it's a division rival and not, like, the Seattle Mariners.

bigsoxfan420
08-25-2008, 03:49 PM
It is going to be a very special series and final game. Maybe they didn't schedule the BoSox because it would be an even BIGGER circus than it's going to be.

twentywontowin
08-25-2008, 03:53 PM

Chicago Stadium also closed with the Leafs. The first game there, the Hawks played the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Fenway
08-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Boy people are so touchy here. I agree with Fenway, it is rediculous that the BoSox aren't closing out The Stadium, especially if they were the first to paly there. This just shows that MLB with all its success still misses the mark, seemingly a lot.

I have seen more games at Yankee Stadium than any other park besides Fenway. No baseball venue has more excitement than The Stadium and it is just nuts for a Boston game.

I think it is important to state that this is a rivalry that was not created by the media but is fueled by it. New England is insane and the Yankees have pockets of fans in Maine, NH and Vermont and NYY has radio stations there. As you travel south from Boston the Yankees have a strong fanbase in Rhode Island and Connecticut is a war zone. The Mets dont exist in fans eyes.Today thanks to WEEI and WFAN it is crazier than ever. WFAN can be heard in southern NE and WEEI has satellite transmitters that cover most of CT.
Boston fans have WCBS preset on car radios and NYY fans do the same with a CT station that carries the Red Sox that can be heard clearly in the city. In RI CT and Western MA many cities are NYY hotbeds because they were heavily Italian and rooted for DiMaggio.

I will concede that ESPN which is located 100 miles from both cities overdoes it. But their staffers hear EEI and FAN get both cities tabloids and get caught up in it. It also doesn't hurt that the teams have had epic games that live up to the hype.

I have never had a problem as a Boston fan there and my best memory was Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS which erased the nightmare of the year before. The area outside the Stadium is just so intense on a gameday and hopefully that won't change. I will be there Thursday afternoon.

It will be intense the next 3 days as NYY tries to get back in the WC chase. New York really has to win them all at this point.

spiffie
08-25-2008, 04:11 PM
I believe it is a shame that the most storied rivalry in professional sports will not be the event that concludes the story of Yankee Stadium. MLB dropped the ball on this one, and deprived the good people of Boston one last chance to visit Yankee Stadium and spread good cheer to the people of New York City.

areilly
08-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Chicago Stadium also closed with the Leafs. The first game there, the Hawks played the Pittsburgh Pirates.

First the Sox don't play the Cleveland Browns, and now I find out the Blackhawks didn't play the Pittsburgh Pirates. That could've been a damn Golden Age of crossover sports.

areilly
08-25-2008, 04:26 PM
I believe it is a shame that the most storied rivalry in professional sports will not be the event that concludes the story of Yankee Stadium. MLB dropped the ball on this one, and deprived the good people of Boston one last chance to visit Yankee Stadium and spread good cheer to the people of New York City.

Indeed, the stories of the Boston and New York baseball teams are truly woven into the fabric of our hearts.

Fenway
08-25-2008, 04:34 PM

My favorite sign from Game 5 of the 86 Series
RED SOX 2
METS 2
YANKEES NO GAME TODAY

FedEx227
08-25-2008, 04:39 PM
My favorite sign from Game 5 of the 86 Series
RED SOX 2
METS 2
YANKEES NO GAME TODAY

http://www.nyc.gov/html/sports/gif/yankeeswinsmall.gif

Any further argument: over.

sullythered
08-25-2008, 04:40 PM
I agree, they should have had the Red Sox play the last game at Yankee stadium. Then they should contract the Red Sox franchise. :cool:

Fenway
08-25-2008, 04:55 PM
http://www.nyc.gov/html/sports/gif/yankeeswinsmall.gif

Any further argument: over.

The Yankees had a huge billboard in Times Sq in 2001 saying 'We Will Try To Do Better This Century'

Seriously the Yankees have not recovered from 2004. It wasn't so much that Boston won but how they did it.

doublem23
08-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Seriously the Yankees have not recovered from 2004. It wasn't so much that Boston won but how they did it.

:rolleyes:

How many players are still on the Yankees from that 2004 team? Maybe it's just hard to win 26 World Series every century when there's more teams, more play-offs, and more money for everyone.

This is as lame as your "ND hasn't won anything in 20 years because of that loss to Boston College in 1993 argument."

Fenway
08-25-2008, 05:54 PM

How many players are still on the Yankees from that 2004 team? Maybe it's just hard to win 26 World Series every century when there's more teams, more play-offs, and more money for everyone.

This is as lame as your "ND hasn't won anything in 20 years because of that loss to Boston College in 1993 argument."

still the most devasting loss in ND history as was the NYY loss in 2004

FedEx227
08-26-2008, 03:49 PM

Or the Yanks haven't recovered because of their aging, expensive team and a lack of good drafting, player development and the constant trading of prospects from 1998-2007.

Fenway
08-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Or the Yanks haven't recovered because of their aging, expensive team and a lack of good drafting, player development and the constant trading of prospects from 1998-2007.

I wonder if Cashman will be around next year. Hank wanted Santana and Brian talked him out of it and NYY would be a lot closer to the playoffs had they made the trade. If the Mets don't blow the playoffs this year Hank might still explode.

Meanwhile the NYY season ticket holders are screaming about the prices in the new park. One fan is seeing his 4th row tickets jumping from $220 to $650 per game. The upper deck is being called the Terrace Suite and those will be $135. The Yankees scout seats will go for $2500 A GAME up from $1000.

It will be a very interesting 48 hours in The Bronx.

doublem23
08-26-2008, 04:11 PM

I agree but it had little to do with the following years and has had nothing to do with the program for 20 years now. Probably the entire team now is too young to even remember it.

chaerulez
08-26-2008, 04:22 PM

Not to mention free agency (easy to build a dynasty if your best players can't leave) and the fact the Yankees can't get away with making questionable trades like they did 50 years ago.

chaerulez
08-26-2008, 04:24 PM
I agree but it had little to do with the following years and has had nothing to do with the program for 20 years now. Probably the entire team now is too young to even remember it.

Basically saying ND can't win because of a game in '94 is saying the Cubs can't win because of a goat.

It's both silly.

ND hasn't won because they've either hired bad head coaches, fielded teams that weren't that good, or choked in big time bowl games. Plus like MLB these days, it's harder to win a national championship because there are more good teams in this era.

C-Dawg
08-26-2008, 04:26 PM
What's that, you say? The Red Sox are making their last-ever visit to Yankee Stadium this weekend?

Better bring in the demolition crew on Monday; there's no point playing any more games.

Fenway
08-26-2008, 05:11 PM

I think that loss hurt ND in recruiting over the past 15 years as both schools recruit heavily with the Catholic prep schools. While BC doesn't have the history it can promise that many games will be on national TV and NFL scouts will be watching. Kids today don't care if they on NBC or ESPN as long as they are on TV.

BC now gets the players that made up the depth of the Fighting Irish years ago. Before a recruit was willing to be a bench jockey at ND and that is no longer the case. Boston itself is a plus for recruiting over the city of South Bend. If the parents want their son to go to a Catholic school there are only 2 choices in football. I am not knocking Notre Dame but just pointing out the gap between the 2 programs is now much closer.

BC usually hovers in the Top 25 and winds up in a second tier bowl with the chance of a BCS slot. And you can bet that BC coaches remind these recruits that BC has had ND's number the past few years.

BC is rethinking the move to the ACC. They see UCONN and Rutgers rising and the coaches of the non revenue sports are complaining about the insane bus rides their players are stuck with. Maryland is the closest ACC team to Boston and that is 400 miles. Leaving the Big East was a blunder and the power alumni miss the old rivals especially in basketball.

Fenway
08-26-2008, 06:27 PM
from the NY Daily News

Many Bronx tales link Yanks and Bosox (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/08/25/2008-08-25_many_bronx_tales_link_yanks_and_bosox-2.html)

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/bmorrison813/Pedro-HellFreezesOver.jpg

Fenway
08-27-2008, 04:48 PM
A-Rod did not have a good night and the NY papers just went after him as only they can

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/08/the_view_from_new_york.html

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/extras/schools_blog/nydn.jpghttp://www.boston.com/sports/schools/extras/schools_blog/post.jpg

Fenway
08-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Typing this on my smartphone from Momument Park.

I know today will be the last time I am inside Yankee Stadium and I am feeling sad about it. I have said goodbye to a few parks in the past few years (County Stadium, The Vet, Comiskey, Cleveland Stadium, RFK, Stade Olympique) but this one is harder.

I have had memories both good and bad here but it really is one of the great sporting venues in the world. The new park looms across the street and it remains to be seen what the atmosphere will be like.

This field will be kept as a city park and it will be cool to play catch on the same land that so many greats played ball.

Ironic thing is would this park had even been built if Charlie Comiskey hadn't gotten cold feet at the last second on trading Joe Jackson to Boston for one George Herman Ruth. Comiskey figured he could beat the Cook County Courts but never thought Landis would ban Jackson and the others.

I am going to miss this dump.