PDA

View Full Version : Paul Konerko has really started to turn it around...

Whitesoxfan23
08-25-2008, 02:23 AM
Not only did he save us today, he has gotten some very key walks for us lately, as well as hits. I am glad to see it too, because Paulie is such a class act, and I have always liked the guy.

Konerko05
08-25-2008, 02:29 AM
I must admit, his approach at the plate looks significantly better. Who knows what he still has left in the tank, but at least he is no longer wasting at bats.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-25-2008, 07:12 AM
PK is batting .319 in August, and his OBP is .477, due to 15 walks. He has almost twice as many walks as Ks. His average in August is by far his best for any month this year.

doublem23
08-25-2008, 07:15 AM
I must admit, his approach at the plate looks significantly better. Who knows what he still has left in the tank, but at least he is no longer wasting at bats.

Apparently it is difficult to hit if you can't quite grasp the bat because of a sore thumb. :o:

jabrch
08-25-2008, 07:33 AM
Apparently it is difficult to hit if you can't quite grasp the bat because of a sore thumb. :o:

No way...He's old, bad, stubborn, too far back in the box, and a huge waste of money. We should DFA him right now.

gobears1987
08-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Shut up, you're not allowed to say anything intelligent or factual in support of Paulie on this board.:tongue:

doublem23
08-25-2008, 08:26 AM
No way...He's old, bad, stubborn, too far back in the box, and a huge waste of money. We should DFA him right now.

Shut up, you're not allowed to say anything intelligent or factual in support of Paulie on this board.:tongue:

Well I'll give the early season Paulie haters a pass because it was frustrating watching him repeatedly pop balls straight up or just swing meekly and miss. A lot their venom should have been directed at Ozzie and KW who kept putting him in a situation to fail, but wow if he and Jr. can get hot for these next couple of weeks what a lineup we have. :o:

It's Dankerific
08-25-2008, 08:31 AM
PK actually produced more in April, but he had 7 more games to do it in

April Rbi: 17 April runs: 14
August Rbi: 10 August runs: 11

Luckily, he has a week to get 3 more hits to have his most hits in a month. (Currently 18 in April and May).

The good news is that PK isn't a black hole in the lineup anymore. But he is not exactly setting the world on fire. Unless everyone agrees that I can say BA has set the world on fire since July 1.... But, that doesn't fit into the story some people want to weave.

In my opinion, anything PK does that doesn't include dropping balls at first is all gravy. *cue theme music for Mad-Tv's Lowered Expectations*

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Paulie may not be his 2005 self...but he's getting hits when they matter...aka winning games for us...Ill take that over May 2008 PK anyday....

voodoochile
08-25-2008, 09:23 AM
I think you may just see PK go on a tear right now and I mean immediately. Ozzie sent a huge message when he put PK in to PH yesterday. He said, "Paulie, we still believe in you and we still need you. Now go get it done." You have to believe that faith and the following single took a huge weight off of Paulie. Now he's free to be himself and not worry. Those kind of moments have long lasting impacts on a player's ability to perform.

I'm telling you, watch out. He's gonna go on a tear...

Thigpen "57"
08-25-2008, 10:52 AM
I think you may just see PK go on a tear right now and I mean immediately. Ozzie sent a huge message when he put PK in to PH yesterday. He said, "Paulie, we still believe in you and we still need you. Now go get it done." You have to believe that faith and the following single took a huge weight off of Paulie. Now he's free to be himself and not worry. Those kind of moments have long lasting impacts on a player's ability to perform.

I have been thinking the same thing. I was able to watch the game on TBS here yesterday, and they showed Paulie in the dugout after Getz came in to run for him. He was smiling, and looked totally relaxed. I though to myself "there it is, Paulie is ready to tear it up."

So sign me up Voodoochile!!

tonyho7476
08-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Its good to see. A little competition for playing time has seemed to spark him and Swish.

And despite his problems, I would never boo him. It was good to hear the fans chanting for him in the 9th.

jabrch
08-25-2008, 11:11 AM

He has hit .327/.493/.551/1.044 in August. Glad to see he has earned management's faith.

jabrch
08-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Well I'll give the early season Paulie haters a pass because it was frustrating watching him repeatedly pop balls straight up or just swing meekly and miss. A lot their venom should have been directed at Ozzie and KW who kept putting him in a situation to fail, but wow if he and Jr. can get hot for these next couple of weeks what a lineup we have. :o:

I'm wondering if he ever told them how bad his hand was... If he didn't - then a part of the blame needs to be squarely on Paul's shoulders (or his hand)

Jim Shorts
08-25-2008, 11:27 AM

We all hope you're right. The good thing is, like Dankerific said, he's not the black hole at the plate right now and that's important...with or with a major tear at the plate right now.

Tekijawa
08-25-2008, 11:48 AM
I was one of the Haters, he just has to keep it going. If I can't say he stinks because of a years worth of baseball, then we shouldn't name him MVP because of 3.5 weeks of good hitting.

You can blame his thumb or what ever you want, you do have to admit that her looked terrible for the first 4 months of the season.

Domeshot17
08-25-2008, 11:54 AM
You could see this coming a month ago when we were in the Garbage Dome and the haters were clamoring for his release. Pre All Star break, he was slow with his bat, he was turning his wrists over and dropping his shoulder (compensating for a bad hand) and not getting through the pitch. Last month he was still struggling, but his swings looked good and solid, compact and explosive, it was just his timing was off. He was a hair quick and popping up or crushing balls foul, or a hair late and fouling them right back. Timing was something you just have to hit your way through and get back to feeling good.

I said it a month ago and Im still hoping its true, getting PK hot and back on track is nothing but a good thing for us in a playoff chase. If he is here next year or not, we need him now. If we want to trade him next year and sign Texiera, hey I would be all for it, but right now, hopefully we can ride Paulie.

alohafri
08-25-2008, 11:55 AM
I said early on that I hope Paulie proves me wrong and turns it around. I am glad he is doing that!

WhiteSoxBlog
08-25-2008, 12:20 PM
everyone's been rooting for him, so I'm really glad to see that something changed. :redneck

hawkjt
08-25-2008, 12:31 PM
PK came thru in a pressure packed situation with a good at bat. As a vet going down the stretch,if he is finally healthy, I want him at bat in that situation. He is a good hitter. And it is coming out finally.

jabrch
08-25-2008, 12:38 PM
everyone's been rooting for him,

That's bull****.

Konerko05
08-25-2008, 02:22 PM

Why was the directed at me? I simply pointed out how much better his approach has been lately. Is that not true? Neither of us have any idea how much Konerko's thumb was affecting him or for how long.

Hitmen77
08-25-2008, 02:58 PM
If the Griffey trade allowed PK a) enough bench time to rest his sore hand and get completely healed or b) gave him enough competition for a spot in the lineup to light a fire under him, then it's been a successful trade.

If Junior is starting to heat up for us, the great thing about his addition is that is has allowed Ozzie to rest our older veterans (Konerko, Thome, Dye) and Swisher.