PDA

View Full Version : AJ is a genius.

Whitesoxfan23
08-24-2008, 11:00 PM
I love this guy. He is so smart. AJ is a fantastic heel, and I am glad he is on our team.

FedEx227
08-24-2008, 11:01 PM
...Well that's it. I'm out of here guys.

Signed,
The English language

Noneck
08-24-2008, 11:23 PM
I love this guy. He is so smart. AJ is a fantastic heel, and I am glad he is on our team.
A fantastic heel, yes. Able to recover and be fortunate from a base running blunder doesn't make him smart. I think if you would ask him, he would agree.

Whitesoxfan23
08-24-2008, 11:24 PM
I know it was terrible baserunning, I just can't believe the things that he thinks of.

34rancher
08-24-2008, 11:29 PM
AJ is pretty amazing. He definitely knows the game as well as any player in my lifetime. The fact that he knows the rules and how to use them so quickly in his head is amazing.

thomas35forever
08-24-2008, 11:31 PM
I love when AJ is AJ. It just makes every other team hate him more and us love him more.

FedEx227
08-24-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm usually all in favor of AJ's "heads up" plays, but I really can't defend what he did today. It was pretty bush league. There's a big difference between being a genius and being Vlade Divac.

If any player on any other team did this we'd want their heads on a platter.

BigP50
08-24-2008, 11:46 PM
it wouldn't call AJ smart. He makes bone-head baserunning mistakes then makes up for it sometimes

DumpJerry
08-24-2008, 11:54 PM
AJ used the training he got in the Twins' system to get that call. How ironic that it helped knock the Twins out of First today.:smile:

gobears1987
08-24-2008, 11:56 PM
This is going to sound nerdy, but AJ really reminds me of Captain James T. Kirk.

AJ made a dumb move in deciding to go, but he found a way out of what appeared to be a no win scenario. Kirk got out of the no win scenario that is the Kobayashi Maru by exploiting the fact there is no rule against changing the program so that there was a way to win. He kept finding other ways out of no win scenarios such as the pre-fix code for the Reliant.

EuroSox35
08-25-2008, 12:05 AM
It was Doug Eddings again, how hilarious is that

21stcenturySox
08-25-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm usually all in favor of AJ's "heads up" plays, but I really can't defend what he did today. It was pretty bush league. There's a big difference between being a genius and being Vlade Divac.

The Rays player obstructed AJ. He didn't have the ball, he was in the base path and it really doesn't matter if AJ reached out to touch him, he has no right to be in the base path UNLESS he is in possession of the ball or is in the act of fielding the ball.

Which is why in a pickle, after you throw the ball you're supposed to veer off to the side and get out of the base path.

Nothing bush league about AJ's pratfall--Aybar should have gotten out of the way.

jabrch
08-25-2008, 12:16 AM
This is going to sound nerdy, but AJ really reminds me of Captain James T. Kirk.

AJ made a dumb move in deciding to go, but he found a way out of what appeared to be a no win scenario. Kirk got out of the no win scenario that is the Kobayashi Maru by exploiting the fact there is no rule against changing the program so that there was a way to win. He kept finding other ways out of no win scenarios such as the pre-fix code for the Reliant.

LMAO....

I was just trying to explain Kobayashi Maru to my wife...who called me a nerd...

SaltyPretzel
08-25-2008, 12:22 AM
LMAO....

I was just trying to explain Kobayashi Maru to my wife...who called me a nerd...

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/86/86hgetalife.phtml :smile:

Rockabilly
08-25-2008, 12:32 AM
AJ is going to be a great MGR one day, maybe even for the Sox..

Jason82807
08-25-2008, 12:37 AM
The Rays player obstructed AJ. He didn't have the ball, he was in the base path and it really doesn't matter if AJ reached out to touch him, he has no right to be in the base path UNLESS he is in possession of the ball or is in the act of fielding the ball.

Which is why in a pickle, after you throw the ball you're supposed to veer off to the side and get out of the base path.

Nothing bush league about AJ's pratfall--Aybar should have gotten out of the way.

Exactly. AJ was the beneficiary of a stupid play on Aybar's part. I like the guy, don't get me wrong, but he didn't do anything to "get" that call.

JGarlandrules20
08-25-2008, 12:55 AM
After the base running blunder, AJ took a chance to put his team ahead and it paid off. You have to love him for that.

Vestigio
08-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Sometimes I can get fed up with the way AJ plays (for example swinging at first pitches when he should be working the count), but its times like this that I appreciate that he's on the team...

Whitesoxfan23
08-25-2008, 01:21 AM
The Sports board at Gamefaqs and several Rays fans have just went nuts over this whole deal. Apparently, AJ is quite the hated fellow... :D:

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2008, 01:24 AM

AJ made a dumb move in deciding to go, but he found a way out of what appeared to be a no win scenario. Kirk got out of the no win scenario that is the Kobayashi Maru by exploiting the fact there is no rule against changing the program so that there was a way to win. He kept finding other ways out of no win scenarios such as the pre-fix code for the Reliant.Correctemundo.

Jason82807
08-25-2008, 01:26 AM
After the base running blunder, AJ took a chance to put his team ahead and it paid off. You have to love him for that.

I don't think he would've run if Cox didn't give the go-ahead

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2008, 01:27 AM
I don't think he would've run if Cox didn't give the go-aheadThat's not the third-base coach's call, I don't think. There isn't enough time. When you're on second, and the ball is hit on the ground to your right, you have to head back to second until you see what happens.

Jason82807
08-25-2008, 01:27 AM
The Sports board at Gamefaqs and several Rays fans have just went nuts over this whole deal. Apparently, AJ is quite the hated fellow... :D:

It's always a good thing to be hated by your rivals.

doublem23
08-25-2008, 01:30 AM
Can we all stop pretending this is more than it is? A.J. got really ****ing lucky. I'm not going to complain about the end result, especially since I know the Sox have been dicked by the umps out of at least a couple of games (Opening Day, I am looking in your direction), but let's not make it out to be more than it is.

AJ must have saved Doug Eddings' family from a burning building. That's all I can come up with right now.

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2008, 01:42 AM
AJ must have saved Doug Eddings' family from a burning building. That's all I can come up with right now.Hey, the umps all huddled and upheld the call. I'd have to think most of them were looking at it.

Jason82807
08-25-2008, 02:18 AM
That's not the third-base coach's call, I don't think. There isn't enough time. When you're on second, and the ball is hit on the ground to your right, you have to head back to second until you see what happens.

I meant when he was going from third to home.

alohafri
08-25-2008, 08:47 AM
A good athelete doesn't do that, a good baseball player does. AJ is more along the lines of the latter.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-25-2008, 09:41 AM
AJ is pretty amazing. He definitely knows the game as well as any player in my lifetime. The fact that he knows the rules and how to use them so quickly in his head is amazing.

This should be the original post...its more so his reacation time is quicker than any other ballplayer we have known....

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-25-2008, 09:44 AM
It's always a good thing to be hated by your rivals.

The real question is...how long till AJ is hated by the Leauge as a whole?

I love this guy!

alohafri
08-25-2008, 10:28 AM
You should hear all of the Cub fans at work. "AJ is a cheater!" "AJ is going to rot in hell." "I would never want that cheater on my team."

Marqhead
08-25-2008, 10:36 AM
You should hear all of the Cub fans at work. "AJ is a cheater!" "AJ is going to rot in hell." "I would never want that cheater on my team."

Why don't you ask them about their 10 year love affair with Sammy Sosa.

voodoochile
08-25-2008, 10:39 AM

How can it be cheating if the umps are the ones who made the call and then confirmed it in a group setting? Running into someone on the basepaths isn't cheating. Corking your bat and taking steroids... now those are examples of cheating...

alohafri
08-25-2008, 10:55 AM
How can it be cheating if the umps are the ones who made the call and then confirmed it in a group setting? Running into someone on the basepaths isn't cheating. Corking your bat and taking steroids... now those are examples of cheating...

Here is what I got when I brought those arguements up..."They got the call wrong. AJ is a cheat. And I never liked Sammy anyway." Yeah, right!

I think being a Cub fan kills more brain cells than Jack Daniels.

voodoochile
08-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Here is what I got when I brought those arguements up..."They got the call wrong. AJ is a cheat. And I never liked Sammy anyway." Yeah, right!

It's impossible to find a flubbie fan who ever rooted for ShamME*. They didn't exist when he played for the team all those years and clubbed all those homers and they don't exist now. I remember clearly reading all the articles in the Trib and Times scoffing at ShamME*'s prowess and pointing out it was obvious he was on roids then ripping him to shreds when Corky's fake bat exploded ridiculing his explanation that it was for pre-game to entertain the fans. Oh how the editorial replies piled on to those sentiments, praying for the day, ShamME* would never again dishonor their team or stadium by playing for the flubs. I remember all of that so clearly, don't you? :rolleyes:

jdm2662
08-25-2008, 11:42 AM
A few things.

If Upton doesn't half ass the throw on the first out, AJ doesn't advance, and Dye hits into a DP. This whole thing would be moot.

AJ got very lucky on a terrible base running decision. That's it. I thought for sure the umps were going to overturn the call, but didn't. (Then again, I thought for sure the dropped third strike call would get overturned, too)... He's a hard nosed/smart ball player, but was very fortunate in this case. I had a clear view of the play sitting behind third base, and I saw nothing to suggest interference. Quite honostly, I think AJ just happened to stick his arm out. I don't think he intended to create contact.

We don't have to apologize for anything. The umps made the call, and that's that. There have been bad calls go against the Sox, and some that go in the Sox favor. If anyone whines about it, oh well. **** happens, and it goes both ways.

If this happened to the Sox, this whole place would've exploded and Hawk would've whined for about a month. That we all can agree on.

UofCSoxFan
08-25-2008, 11:54 AM
The real question is...how long till AJ is hated by the Leauge as a whole?

I love this guy!

I honestly think he is already there (excluding Sox fans of course). I really don't get it.

He gets boo'd at Wrigley because Michael Barrett sucker punched him in the face.

He gets boo'd in Minnesota because he got traded to the Giants and provided Nathan, Bonser, and Liriano in return, basically make the Twins 5 to 10 wins better per year.

He gets boo'd in Anaheim because he forced the umpire to make a call, which said umpire may or may not have gotten right (I think the ball probably didn't hit the ground but still am not 100% sure).

He'll get boo'd in TB because he made a heads up play (when in a run down you always try to make contact with the fielder...unfortunately they usually are too smart to cooperate).

He get's boo'd pretty much everywhere else he goes for no real reason. For some of our rivals in the division, perhaps they boo just because he is one of the more recognizeable White Sox players and is a lightning rod, but I have no idea why he gets boo'd at places like Seattle.

The only fans that could have a gripe against A.J. would be Giants fans, since he gave them very litte in production and cost them two major studs and a third major league pitcher. Still, it's not A.J.'s fault the SF GM is an idiot.

Whatever. The fact that a lot of fan bases hate A.J. and we have embraced him makes it more likely that he'll end his career in Chicago....which is great by me.

UofCSoxFan
08-25-2008, 11:59 AM

100% agreed. The fielder that stood in the baseline was the one that was "cheating," if you call it that (as he violated the rules of the game), and that is why AJ was awarded third base. The fielder is not allowed to make contact with the runner if he does not have the ball. The rules are pretty clear about that. The fielder cannot impede the runner's progress even if that runner most certainly will be put out.

It is completely within the rules for the runner to initiate the contact if the fielder is dumb enough to be in the baseline without the ball. In fact, I was always told to try to do this when I was in a run down, and I think it was a completely heady play. If Rays fans want to be pissed at anyone, they should be pissed at their guy. I mean that is elementary baseball...throw the ball in the run down and peel off so the runner can't run into you.

aryzner
08-25-2008, 12:00 PM
To me, the play seemed a lot like drawing a foul in sports like basketball or soccer. Glad it worked.

PorkChopExpress
08-25-2008, 12:02 PM
If Upton doesn't half ass the throw on the first out, AJ doesn't advance, and Dye hits into a DP. This whole thing would be moot.

You have to give AJ credit for the heads up baserunning on the tag from first. That was smart baserunning. Fault lies with Upton, but AJ was smart enough to take advantage of that. Then there was bad baserunning, and a feable, perhaps bush-league (to each their own) attempt to salvage something from that bad baserunning that worked.

After that you can't say what would have happened. I say the first pitch to Dye would have been in the dirt and passed the catcher to the backstop and AJ advances to second anyway. What happened is what happened and that is all we know.

alohafri
08-25-2008, 12:03 PM
To me, the play seemed a lot like drawing a foul in sports like basketball or soccer. Glad it worked.

Excellent analogy.

jdm2662
08-25-2008, 12:13 PM
You have to give AJ credit for the heads up baserunning on the tag from first. .

Oh, no doubt. That was a great play. The next one? Not so much. In the end, the Sox won. That's all that matters.

PennStater98r
08-25-2008, 12:13 PM

If someone else called you on this - apologies - but you can't be serious, can you? Fielder was in the basepath without the ball nor in the act of fielding the ball. A.J. did nothing bush today - he was completely in the right.

WSox597
08-25-2008, 01:01 PM

The arguments with the umpires would be a sight to see if that happened.

Although he would get along just fine with Eddings. :redneck

WSox597
08-25-2008, 01:03 PM

Well put. I may need to borrow that one on occasion. :D:

Oblong
08-25-2008, 01:48 PM
as a non Sox fan saying this, I will never ever ever ever ever for the life of me understand why AJ takes heat for what he did in the playoffs in 2005. The controversy was because of the umps and the catcher, not him. What he did was no different than a fielder at the bag who still swipes at the runner when he slides in and is obviously safe. "Hey, you never know what the ump will call. Maybe they'll blow it".

By the rationale that many critics suggested, the fielders should never do that either.

Optipessimism
08-25-2008, 01:48 PM
I honestly think he is already there (excluding Sox fans of course). I really don't get it.

He gets boo'd at Wrigley because Michael Barrett sucker punched him in the face.

He gets boo'd in Minnesota because he got traded to the Giants and provided Nathan, Bonser, and Liriano in return, basically make the Twins 5 to 10 wins better per year.

He gets boo'd in Anaheim because he forced the umpire to make a call, which said umpire may or may not have gotten right (I think the ball probably didn't hit the ground but still am not 100% sure).

He'll get boo'd in TB because he made a heads up play (when in a run down you always try to make contact with the fielder...unfortunately they usually are too smart to cooperate).

He get's boo'd pretty much everywhere else he goes for no real reason. For some of our rivals in the division, perhaps they boo just because he is one of the more recognizeable White Sox players and is a lightning rod, but I have no idea why he gets boo'd at places like Seattle.

The only fans that could have a gripe against A.J. would be Giants fans, since he gave them very litte in production and cost them two major studs and a third major league pitcher. Still, it's not A.J.'s fault the SF GM is an idiot.

Whatever. The fact that a lot of fan bases hate A.J. and we have embraced him makes it more likely that he'll end his career in Chicago....which is great by me.
That is still the weakest "punch" I've ever seen. I've seen third grade girls hit harder than that.

It's okay though because he got his ass beat by a Sox fan (Zambrano).

Optipessimism
08-25-2008, 01:57 PM
I agree. I think he'd make a great manager, and an even better member of a future player development staff. The one thing about AJ is that even when he makes mistakes and doesn't execute, he still plays hard and keeps his head in the game. He's the type of "grinder" that you love to have because he's already a good player, but his intangibles make him special, unlike most "grinders" who rely on the intangibles almost exclusively because they suck ass at playing baseball.

Konerko05
08-25-2008, 03:39 PM
That is still the weakest "punch" I've ever seen. I've seen third grade girls hit harder than that.

It's okay though because he got his ass beat by a Sox fan (Zambrano).

I didn't think the punch was that weak.

Zambrano is a Sox fan? What?

MarySwiss
08-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Well, I heard from my Tribe fan friend again.

His message: Lie, cheat, steal.
My reply: It's called "interfering with the runner."

Look, I really believe that if AJ was walking back to the dugout after striking out and an opposing team's player came over and decked him just for the hell of it, the other team's fans would say that AJ deserved it because he was smirking or something.

I love him!

hawkjt
08-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Wish he had got that bunt down ...we would still be playing.

oeo
08-25-2008, 07:16 PM

That would have been one amazing bunt if it scored Getz from first.

hawkjt
08-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Carlos followed with a base hit that would have scored Getz.
Hey, it happens...still wish he had gotten it down.

soltrain21
08-25-2008, 07:22 PM

AJ getting a bunt down does not mean TCQ gets a single.

oeo
08-25-2008, 07:35 PM

Don't tell me you seriously believe that what actually happened would have ended up happening if AJ lays the bunt down...

Maybe Quentin does get a basehit, maybe he hits a dinger. Or...maybe he strikes out, maybe Getz gets picked off second base. Who knows?

hawkjt
08-25-2008, 08:12 PM
in other words, any strategic move made by a manager can never be questioned cus we never know what would have happened with a different move.

likewise, just because Getz would have been on second and Carlos hit the ball the way he did, no way of knowing that Getz does not fall down, or get struck by lightning on the way to home.

Nellie_Fox
08-26-2008, 12:36 AM
I was talking with co-worker Twins fans at lunch about the AJ deal today. One thing they agreed with me about is that if it had been Jeter who did the exact same thing, everyone would be talking about how "heads up" it was, how it showed what a great player he is, and how he's aware of everything going on around him.

PennStater98r
08-26-2008, 10:55 AM
in other words, any strategic move made by a manager can never be questioned cus we never know what would have happened with a different move.

likewise, just because Getz would have been on second and Carlos hit the ball the way he did, no way of knowing that Getz does not fall down, or get struck by lightning on the way to home.

AJ should not be blamed for the lack of getting a bunt down. Ozzie should be criticized for asking him to bunt. I was under the same belief that Stone had - hit and run should have been on in that situation.

oeo
08-26-2008, 11:04 AM

Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying. You're on a roll.

The funny thing is, you never questioned the move:

You just figured since Carlos got a base hit that the same thing would have happened if Getz was on second. That's what's stupid.

FedEx227
08-26-2008, 04:47 PM
If someone else called you on this - apologies - but you can't be serious, can you? Fielder was in the basepath without the ball nor in the act of fielding the ball. A.J. did nothing bush today - he was completely in the right.

No, I'd say deliberately putting your arm/elbow towards an opposing player in an effort to cause a runner's interference call is pretty bush to me. Whatever. If you guys think it's fine it's all good, as people have mentioned if Upton hustled this wouldn't come up.

All I ask is think of what you would say had Grady Sizemore or Joe Mauer done this same exact thing, just think about it. I highly doubt the posters here at WSI are drooling over how baseball savy Sizemore is, or how into the game Mauer always seems to be. Think about it.

To me, it was pretty bush. This has nothing to do with the 2005 playoffs thing, that was not bush, that was nothing, that was AJ reacting to the play at hand.

This situation, I don't think so. AJ went out of his way to make this play happen, then over-acted by falling backwards like he just got shot by a cannon. Paging Vlade Divac.

http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/a/a1/Act_vlade_divac.jpg
"B-"

D'Sphitz
08-26-2008, 05:39 PM
100% agreed. The fielder that stood in the baseline was the one that was "cheating," if you call it that (as he violated the rules of the game), and that is why AJ was awarded third base. The fielder is not allowed to make contact with the runner if he does not have the ball. The rules are pretty clear about that. The fielder cannot impede the runner's progress even if that runner most certainly will be put out.

It is completely within the rules for the runner to initiate the contact if the fielder is dumb enough to be in the baseline without the ball. In fact, I was always told to try to do this when I was in a run down, and I think it was a completely heady play. If Rays fans want to be pissed at anyone, they should be pissed at their guy. I mean that is elementary baseball...throw the ball in the run down and peel off so the runner can't run into you.

Did you even see the play? Because it sounds like you're just making things up. You can go to MLB.com and watch it to your heart's content, feel free.

The fielder (was it Bartlett? not sure) did not interfere, he was not even in the base path. AJ lost his balance and while falling backwards threw his arms out and brushed the fielder who WAS NOT in the base path. It also looked to be completely unintentional so all of this "AJ is the smartest player ever" crap should stop, it's not like it was some ingenious premeditated plan. The contact was minor, it looked like AJ's fingertips may have grazed the fielder's sleeve. Nobody was pushed to the ground, nobody was tackled, the contact had zero effect on the play.

AJ got lucky, and the Sox got lucky. It was a bad call, and that's fine - games are won and lost on bad calls all the time. There's no need to go to such extents to rationalize it and convince yourself that some justice was served. As someone pointed out in a previous post, had this happened to the Sox rather than for the Sox, everyone here would be furious and "cheater" is just one of the nicer of many words that would be thrown around.

.throw the ball in the run down and peel off so the runner can't run into you.That's exactly what he did, AJ's flailing arm just happened to graze him.

Same thing, maybe you need to actually go watch the play first.

doublem23
08-26-2008, 05:54 PM
I was talking with co-worker Twins fans at lunch about the AJ deal today. One thing they agreed with me about is that if it had been Jeter who did the exact same thing, everyone would be talking about how "heads up" it was, how it showed what a great player he is, and how he's aware of everything going on around him.

Yep.

I'm sure I'd be livid if the situation was flipped, but the Sox pulled out a big win, so I'm happy. :dunno: My bias and I are comfortable with one another.

P.S. Aybar was in a real No-Man's land... That was not a well executed run-down. OK, he didn't run straight into A.J., but all infielders should know they need to clear the heck out of the basepath immediately once they get rid of the ball. The fact that he was still within 1/2 an arm's reach of A.J. is still inexcusably close. Looks like he had a case of the BJ Upton-style laziness.