PDA

View Full Version : Most annoying Fans

october23sp
08-23-2008, 07:56 PM
For those of you not in the Chicago Area (and I only say that because everyone will say cubs fans) who do you think the most annoying fans are. I really believe it is the Minnesota Twins who think that knowing the names of the players makes them great like Carlos Gomez. Share your thoughts I am sure we will get a lot of Cubs and Red Sox.

turners56
08-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Cubs, hands down. Only because I live among them, too many of them.

Hitmen77
08-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Cubs fans.

[/thread]

twentywontowin
08-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Smart Cubs fans are some of the best. Cubs "fans" are annoying. Huge difference.

For true fans, look no further than the Red Sox for the most annoying. Did you know they won the World Series in 2004 and 2007? I bet you didn't.

DumpJerry
08-23-2008, 11:08 PM
At the WCSF luncheon earlier this month, the same question was posed to Brian Anderson and Ehren Wassermann.

Wassermann said Seattle because there is just a net which separates the visitor's Bullpen from the fans and they heckle you all game long from only a few feet away.

Anderson said that it is the fans who tell him he should have caught the ball after he makes a long run into the wall and does not get the ball. He said he is tempted to say to those fans "come on over the wall and try to catch the ball yourself!" He also said if a fan did that it would be nine-on-one real fast.....

Every team has annoying fans and polite fans. To say one is "worse" than another is impossible. We get a lot of Minnesota, Cleveland, Detroit, Cub, and Boston fans at our games because of the rivalries, so they will seem pretty obnoxious. I'm sure if we were closer to other MLB cities, we would probably complain about their fans, too.

LongLiveFisk
08-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Every team has annoying fans and polite fans. To say one is "worse" than another is impossible. We get a lot of Minnesota, Cleveland, Detroit, Cub, and Boston fans at our games because of the rivalries, so they will seem pretty obnoxious. I'm sure if we were closer to other MLB cities, we would probably complain about their fans, too.

Yep, and I'm sure if this question were asked to fans of other teams (particularly our rivals), our team would be named as well. :dunno:

It's all perception.

Lefty34
08-23-2008, 11:31 PM
On this topic I am torn. On the one hand I absolutely HATE Boston Red Sox fans, both because they are annoyingly ignorant and have the backing of ESPN no matter what (no bias my ass). However on the other I hate St. Louis Cardinal fans. Now let me explain this to you (or should I say: y'all): In St. Louis, there are three things, there is the Arch (It's big, haven't y'all seen it), the riverboats, and the Cardinals. In Cardinal Country, Chris Carpenter is the best pitcher since Nolan Ryan, he just hasn't been given the proper chance. In Cardinal Country, that's not a dead muskrat on the top of Tony LaRussa's head, that's a haircut done exclusively by Mario Tricoci. In Cardinal Country, Scott Spiezio could do no wrong, except having a career OBP of .329 (but hey, that red facial thing was important, damnit). You make your decision from there, but to me they are both horrible.

jabrch
08-23-2008, 11:41 PM
I don't think I could pick a team who has a fanbase more annoying than others. Any team has good fans and bad fans. I really dislike the know-it-all fans of EVERY team - those who always could do it better than their team's GM and Manager. Those are the type of fans who always would have done X or Y and would have won the game.

We see those in every fanbase - ours included. I try my damndest to ignore them.

Konerko05
08-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Ninety percent of the people occupying Wrigley Field. I have no problem with real Cub fans.

goofymsfan
08-24-2008, 01:44 AM
Smart Cubs fans are some of the best. Cubs "fans" are annoying. Huge difference.

For true fans, look no further than the Red Sox for the most annoying. Did you know they won the World Series in 2004 and 2007? I bet you didn't.

I think that's true for most teams. Fans that know baseball, the game and such I never seem to have a problem with, it's the "fans" that I always have a problem with and it doesn't matter which team the "fans" are rooting for as I've had trouble with Mariner "fans" at a Mariner game.

tick53
08-24-2008, 09:06 AM
I'm just going to say that I agree with Marty Brennaman :smile:

GoSox2K3
08-24-2008, 09:28 AM
I agree that there are great individual fans and bad individual fans in every fan base (great Cub fans, bad Sox fans, vice versa, etc.).

But, when you ask about "most annoying fans", that's aimed broadly at the fandom. In that case, it's the Cubs hands down.

Name me one other fandom (fandumb?) that does the following:
- Take pride in their "lovable losing" tradition
- Act as if attendance is more important that winning
- Are fans of the ballpark as much as of the team
- Have a tradition of throwing trash on the field when things don't go their way
- Go to other stadiums with obnoxious attitudes and act like they own the place (just ask fans in Cincinnati, Phoenix, Milwaukee, etc.)
- Wrapping themselves around curses. Billy goat, Bartman...ohhh let's blow up Bartman's ball and make it into pasta sause!:rolleyes:
- Overhype everything associated with their team.
- Build a statue to an announcer long before they even think about building a statue to any of their great historic players.

Yes, you will have obnoxious individuals in every fan base. Red Sox fans can certainly qualify for some of the above categories. And, no, not every Cub fan going to a game at Chase Field is obnoxious - some fans are very nice, knowledgable people. But as far as fandoms go, the Cubs win this question hands down.

As a Sox fan, the other reason why I find Cub fans most annoying is that they don't just hate our team like a Twins fan would hate the Sox or a Packers fan would hate the Bears. Much worse than that, the just think we don't exist. Their arrogance in this respect is overwhelming. The funniest part is how they act like they couldn't care less about the Sox, but then just about died of jealousy when we won the World Series.

LITTLE NELL
08-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Was Cubs fans before I retired to SW Florida, now without a doubt its Red Sox fans.
It doesnt help that Beantown has become Title Town in the last decade.

cards press box
08-24-2008, 10:02 AM
My first response would be to declare a five-way tie between Cubs, Red Sox, Yankees, Twins and Indians. But after watching a few Cub road games (complete with loud, noisy and in-your face Cub fans), I have to admit that some Cub fans are bringing aggressive obnoxiousness to a whole new level.

Having been to the Metrodome, I see the original poster's point. Twins fans, I think, are still mad about all the contraction talk from 2002. Why they take their frustration with baseball's current economic system out on the White Sox and Sox fans is a mystery to me. It's not like the Sox are a team with unlimited resources, like the Yankees or the Mets or, for that matter, the Cubs.

soxpride724
08-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Bandwagon fans of any MLB team.

ComiskeyBrewer
08-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Bandwagon fans of any MLB team.

We have a winner.

alohafri
08-24-2008, 11:23 AM
I have a problem with the Cub fans who don't respect the teams they are going to see. Too many times, I have tuned into the Fox or ESPN or whatever "Game of the Week" wich don't involve the Cubs, yet there they are in the stands wearing Cub hats and jerseys.

You may see someone in a Sox hat (or any other team) in the stands, but I haven't seen someone in the jerseys and tee shirts. It is like they are saying, "Look at me! I am a Cub fan! I am supporting my team even though they have nothing to do with this game! Heck, they aren't even in the American League, but I want them to know that here I am supporting them in Oakland! I'm cool! Ronnie Woo Woo is my hero!"

I hate the Wrigley Field fans as well. I got into a discussion with someone at work about a year ago. She is about my age (40ish). She was going on about how long she has been a Cub fan, yet was clueless as to who Dave Kingman, Steve Ontiveros, or Rick Reuschel were. I didn't feel the need to go into Mick Kelleher or George Mitterwald. :rolleyes:

ChiSoxGirl
08-24-2008, 11:30 AM
I have a problem with the Cub fans who don't respect the teams they are going to see. Too many times, I have tuned into the Fox or ESPN or whatever "Game of the Week" wich don't involve the Cubs, yet there they are in the stands wearing Cub hats and jerseys.

You may see someone in a Sox hat (or any other team) in the stands, but I haven't seen someone in the jerseys and tee shirts. It is like they are saying, "Look at me! I am a Cub fan! I am supporting my team even though they have nothing to do with this game! Heck, they aren't even in the American League, but I want them to know that here I am supporting them in Oakland! I'm cool! Ronnie Woo Woo is my hero!"

At yesterday's game, I saw three people in different Cubs' player tees- Harden, Sosa :?:, and Fukudome. Now, I know the Cubs had a noon game on the north side and people very well may have taken in the double header (albeit arriving late to Comiskey), but seriously... the Rays are playing on the south side. Wearing Cub gear to the Sox/Rays game is just pointless.

When I went to the Marlins game last month, and when I've been to numerous other ballparks over the years and the Sox aren't the opponent, I just wear regular clothes. Why should I wear a Sox shirt when the team is nowhere near the ballpark I'm visiting?

kittle42
08-24-2008, 02:07 PM
At yesterday's game, I saw three people in different Cubs' player tees- Harden, Sosa :?:, and Fukudome. Now, I know the Cubs had a noon game on the north side and people very well may have taken in the double header (albeit arriving late to Comiskey), but seriously... the Rays are playing on the south side. Wearing Cub gear to the Sox/Rays game is just pointless.

When I went to the Marlins game last month, and when I've been to numerous other ballparks over the years and the Sox aren't the opponent, I just wear regular clothes. Why should I wear a Sox shirt when the team is nowhere near the ballpark I'm visiting?

I always wear Sox gear to a baseball game. It's a baseball game.

ComiskeyBrewer
08-24-2008, 03:18 PM

I usually don't go fully decked out, but i always rep by wearin a hat.

Lefty34
08-24-2008, 03:57 PM

I'll just wear something baseball related when I'm going to see a team I don't root for or care particularly much about. Whether it be a high school baseball T or my college baseball T, I'm always rocking something baseball related, but I'm not going to wear the jersey of someone that's on another team from a different state.

BTW speaking of jerseys, my girlfriend (Cubs fan) took me to a Sox game for my 21st this summer, and she got me a Jose Contreras jersey, and a Joe Crede one for herself...I was so ashamed of myself that day...and POed...but mostly ashamed.

C-Dawg
08-24-2008, 04:37 PM
and when I've been to numerous other ballparks over the years and the Sox aren't the opponent, I just wear regular clothes. Why should I wear a Sox shirt when the team is nowhere near the ballpark I'm visiting?

If I'm on the road, I usually wear Sox stuff, and then I also politely root for the home team along with everyone else. That is, unless its some team I hate like the Twins, Red Sox, Cubs or Indians; then I'll root against them but leave the Sox stuff at home.

Its very complicated.

Southsider101
08-24-2008, 04:47 PM
San Francisco Giant fans. This is based upon my experiences in Arizona. A good number of them not only have a chip on their shoulder, but continue to see Barry Bonds as some innocent in a world of dark conspiracies. To many of them. its poor Barry, victimized by racism, politics, anti-San Francisco prejudice, homophobia- - the excuses are endless.

Please Giant's fans, just go away with your phony BALCO conspiracies and crawl back into your compound with the rest of your cult and enjoy your X-Files reruns!

vegyrex
08-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Cub fans. All other annoying fans are distant second.

ComiskeyBrewer
08-25-2008, 12:39 AM
anti-San Francisco prejudice,

I must not get out enough, because i've never heard anybody hate on SF. Or care enough about it to hate on it. To think there is an anti-san fran prejudice out there is REALLY big headed of them.

cub killer
08-25-2008, 03:14 AM
Scrub fans, hands down. Every time you argue with them, they play the attendance card. It's impossible to get it thru their thick skulls that WINNING THE WORLD SERIES is the point of baseball. but no, they always gotta say "we have more fans!" over and over again.

There's a saying that goes "the stupid and their money are easily parted." That explains the cubs' existence in a nutshell.

Cangelosi CF
08-25-2008, 08:31 AM
are the Coob fans who sit in the bleachers, get drunk and ask for a PBP of the game from the real Coob fans who are paying attention.

second place to "Red Sox Nation." :angry:

third place to the Cardinal fans, wearing jean shorts and writing poems in honor of Josh Hancock & Daryl Kile. Scott Spiezio was just misunderstood!

cws05champ
08-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Wrigley Field Fans. Which is about 30-50% on any given game day there. I love all the "Wrigley Field" t-shirts you see around there. Did you know they fill thier stadium day after day with the greatest most loyal fans in the world? I bet you didn't....it's never portrayed that way in the media.

twsoxfan5
08-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Red Sox fans hands down. I usually sell those tickets every year. They are by far the most annoying. This year I was surrounded by them and I did not hear one Boston accent.

alohafri
08-25-2008, 10:37 AM

Hats are one thing, and that is cool. I'm talking about the fully decked out knuckleheads. I have a couple of Cub fan friends who I have taken to the Cell for games and they won't even wear a Cub hat out of respect for our team and park. (Some Cub fans have class.)

SoxFan78
08-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Hats are one thing, and that is cool. I'm talking about the fully decked out knuckleheads. I have a couple of Cub fan friends who I have taken to the Cell for games and they won't even wear a Cub hat out of respect for our team and park. (Some Cub fans have class.)

Yesterday I saw a Cub fan at the game with a full jersey and hat on. I just wondered to myself why he would be at the game when the Cubs WERE PLAYING AT THE SAME TIME 8 MILES NORTH???

Red Barchetta
08-25-2008, 12:49 PM

I hate the Wrigley Field fans as well. I got into a discussion with someone at work about a year ago. She is about my age (40ish). She was going on about how long she has been a Cub fan, yet was clueless as to who Dave Kingman, Steve Ontiveros, or Rick Reuschel were. I didn't feel the need to go into Mick Kelleher or George Mitterwald. :rolleyes:

I posted this on an earlier thread about the Rays. I attended a business event during a Rays-Indians game a few weeks ago in St. Pete. Although I am a die-hard relocated SOX fan, out of respect to the Rays and our local Rays-fan customer base, I wore a nice "TB" navy golf shirt. Very generic, but nice. During the earlier SOX-Rays series, I wore my SOX gear accordingly.

The game had the typical Rays and Indians fans wearing their team gear, etc. During the third inning, a Cubs fan decked out in a pro Soriano home jersey, a field cap and wristbands :scratch: shows up and starts jawing with the Rays fans about "best record in baseball" etc. What was really funny was that an Indians fan told him to shut up and remember that he was at an Indians-Rays game and not watching the Cubs play the Cardinals. :D:

Too funny!