PDA

View Full Version : question re: pitch outs

raul12
05-13-2002, 10:41 AM
are pitch outs called by the catcher, pitcher, or manager? whoever it is, what pissed me off about the game yesterday was bob howry throwing a pitch out with a runner on first, 1-2 count with 2 outs. the pitch out made it a 2-2 count, and he ended up walking the guy.

just focus on the guy at the plate b/c if you make a good pitch on 1-2, the guy at first doesn't even matter.

Randar68
05-13-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by raul12
are pitch outs called by the catcher, pitcher, or manager? whoever it is, what pissed me off about the game yesterday was bob howry throwing a pitch out with a runner on first, 1-2 count with 2 outs. the pitch out made it a 2-2 count, and he ended up walking the guy.

just focus on the guy at the plate b/c if you make a good pitch on 1-2, the guy at first doesn't even matter.

During a game, the only thing our catchers look to the dugout for are:
1) Pick-off moves
2) Pitch outs.

Pitch calling and all else is handled by the Catcher, but Art Kuyshner is very good at stealing signs and studies teams' running strategies very closely. WHile I thought it was questionable with 2 outs, if he steals that base they have the winning run in scoring position. Turns out it happened anyways, but hindsight is 20/20...

FarWestChicago
05-13-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by raul12
are pitch outs called by the catcher, pitcher, or manager? whoever it is, what pissed me off about the game yesterday was bob howry throwing a pitch out with a runner on first, 1-2 count with 2 outs. the pitch out made it a 2-2 count, and he ended up walking the guy.Well, unlike many people around here, I don't believe I know more about baseball than people who are paid to play and manage in MLB. However, I must say that if I were a manager, I would never, ever have Bob "I've never met a man I couldn't walk" Howry waste a pitch. If the Sox were up 25-0 and the batter was 0-2, I wouldn't do it. It's like giving the Baseball Gods the finger and they will get you back.

Jerry_Manuel
05-13-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Pitch calling and all else is handled by the Catcher, but Art Kuyshner is very good at stealing signs and studies teams' running strategies very closely

I always thought Joe Nossek was our sign stealer?

Daver
05-13-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

He is.

Randar68
05-13-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Yes he is, my bad. The Kuysh is our bullpen coach. Geez! gimme some :prozac LOL!