PDA

View Full Version : John Kass: genius or Dr. Evil?

DumpJerry
08-22-2008, 08:10 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-kass-22-aug22,0,5376331.column

I love it!

doublem23
08-22-2008, 08:15 AM
I love John Kass.

Marqhead
08-22-2008, 09:17 AM
For some reason I can't see the link. Do you have to subscribe?

DumpJerry
08-22-2008, 10:03 AM
For some reason I can't see the link. Do you have to subscribe?
I'm thinking you have to subscribe. Or borrow someone's Tribune from today.

oeo
08-22-2008, 10:04 AM

I didn't. :dunno:

SOXPHILE
08-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Kass rules. He's the one who, shortly after the White Sox won the World Series, took the World Series trophy and barged into a meeting of Cubune execs at The Tower, and taunted them. He was going around the room asking them if they wanted to touch it, and wondering if they would burst into flames if they did. He kept referring to the trophy as "My Precious".

DumpJerry
08-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Kass rules. He's the one who, shortly after the White Sox won the World Series, took the World Series trophy and barged into a meeting of Cubune execs at The Tower, and taunted them. He was going around the room asking them if they wanted to touch it, and wondering if they would burst into flames if they did. He kept referring to the trophy as "My Precious".
I hope he's been at the gym lifting weights. Carrying two World Series trophies to the meeting this year can get heavy.

spawn
08-22-2008, 10:45 AM

I didn't. :dunno:
Neither did I.

PaleHoser
08-22-2008, 11:38 AM
I hope he's been at the gym lifting weights. Carrying two World Series trophies to the meeting this year can get heavy.

Carrying two should be easier since it he will be more balanced with one in each hand.

turners56
08-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Reading those comments is downright funny.

pythons007
08-22-2008, 11:57 AM
"Dead on balls, accurate!"

DSpivack
08-22-2008, 12:10 PM
"Dead on balls, accurate!"

I will never be able to hear that phrase without hearing it in Marisa Tomei's Brooklyn accent.

Madscout
08-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Love it.

Law11
08-22-2008, 12:12 PM
I'd love to have kass over for a beer and some poker.. This guy is a Sox fan.
Doesnt take himself too serious and knows how to have fun with this whole rivalry thing.

PatK
08-22-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm laughing my ass off at the one comment by the poster named "Reality"

soxpride724
08-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Funny comments at the bottom! And John is quickly becomming my favorite columnist!

TommyJohn
08-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Bet: In a few days he will write a follow-up column with comments from Cubs fans who will accuse him of trying to "jinx" them. Amongst the quoted will be Dave Kaplan, who will be portrayed as a borderline psycho.

cws05champ
08-22-2008, 03:00 PM
That was a stroke of genius... He was probably viewing threads over on the Cubs message board at cbssports. Here's a sampling of thread titles over there:
Cubs magic number 43 When will they clinch? (http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/9806369)
Clinching too early? (http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/9981293)
Best record in baseball (http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/10051306)
Wrigley Field World Series tickets...How much? (http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/10013756)
A Cubs World Series an Accident Waiting to Happen (http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/10013085)

Yes...I was bored.

doublem23
08-22-2008, 03:57 PM
We need to find more of these chest-thumping threads so that when the Cubs train derails (again), we can look back and have a hearty laugh.

jabrch
08-22-2008, 04:05 PM
We need to find more of these chest-thumping threads so that when the Cubs train derails (again), we can look back and have a hearty laugh.

But what if...

thedudeabides
08-22-2008, 04:08 PM
The comments after the article were pretty funny. Outside of a couple of posts, pretty civil. See, wouldn't it be fun if we could all just have light hearted discussions about the Sox-Cubs rivalry? Actually, my friends and I pretty much do.

Boondock Saint
08-22-2008, 04:40 PM
But what if...

I'd be pretty embarrassed if people on WSI started posting "magic number" and "WS ticket" threads at this point in the season. Nobody's locked up a playoff spot yet, and the Angels are the only team close to it. The Cubs are 5 1/2 games up with plenty of time left in the season. The playoffs aren't guaranteed yet, but they're talking about World Series tickets...further proof that some people never learn.

thomas35forever
08-22-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm not saying the Cubs will choke this year, but you never know with them. If they do choke again, how it will happen hasn't been scripted yet.

Great article.

hawkjt
08-22-2008, 06:40 PM
good on the Sox -Cubs rivalry. He is a real sox fan. Otherwise, he stinks.

slavko
08-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Fun article. The Trib sports section has a countdown of a special game from each of the last 100 years of Cubbie history. Kass has a "magic moment" every day from the corresponding day in 1969. Guy knows how to apply the needle.

Otherwise, he can be crude.

petekat
08-27-2008, 02:30 PM
A group of us used to share season tickets with Kass. Then we spun off and got our own plan. He's as advertised, great guy to hang with.

I'd love to have kass over for a beer and some poker.. This guy is a Sox fan.
Doesnt take himself too serious and knows how to have fun with this whole rivalry thing.

ImaGrinder
08-27-2008, 04:58 PM
I think we're setting ourselves up for crow lunch if we want to keep trying to convince ourselves that the Cubs suck this year.

They don't.

However, I think we have a better team. That doesn't mean they suck or that they are going to blow it.

voodoochile
08-27-2008, 05:17 PM
I think we're setting ourselves up for crow lunch if we want to keep trying to convince ourselves that the Cubs suck this year.

They don't.

However, I think we have a better team. That doesn't mean they suck or that they are going to blow it.

The flubbies have a 10 game lead on the 3rd place WC team (St Louis and NY) as well as a solid 5 game lead over Milwaukee. If they aren't in the playoffs, it will make 1969 look like a minor issue.

Face the facts, the flubbies are going to make the post season...

guillen4life13
08-27-2008, 10:24 PM
I posted this just now in that response thread:

"It's truly amazing how childish and immature people on both sides of this argument can be. Resorting to stereotypes is so old.

As a Sox fan, I can just go on my own experience growing up and having random people take a Sox hat I wore from my head and throw it in the dirt. Regardless of your leanings, doing stuff like that is so incredibly disrespectful.

Having said that I'm a Sox fan, this post is going to be biased, but I want to clear some things up. For those of you referencing the on-field attacks at Comiskey, I wonder what Randy Myers and Chad Kreuter think about that, so don't act like it's only happened on the South Side. Plus, as was later found (but not well publicized), the guy who attacked umpire Laz Diaz at Comiskey had been at the Cubs' day game earlier and was even wearing a Cubs hat during the attack. So seriously, that whole point backfires.

The Cubs will make the playoffs. This is pretty certain (and if they don't, that's just pathetic). However, when the playoffs start, it's a whole new situation. I don't expect either Chicago team to make the World Series. But I do expect that someone/something will be made a scapegoat if the Cubs don't win it all. Just like Steve Bartman and some stupid goat. In Bartman's case, you'd have a lot more reason to blame Alex Gonzalez and Mark Prior. Winners don't make excuses, and to their credit, the Cubs themselves didn't. Their fans did.

Oh, and Cubs fans might want to see what Derrek Lee, Barack Obama and Marty Brennaman had to say about their behavior. And knowing some of you (not all), you take pride in taking someone's eye out at a child's birthday party because he's a Sox fan.

Unfortunately, of late, the same stupid drunken debauchery we fault Cubs fans for has been happening more frequently at the Cell. But it hasn't reached your level yet.

I'd just like to say that there are some decent Cubs fans out there. It's just that there's a very strong, vocal contingent that casts all of you in a bad light.

Oh, and our obsession isn't with the Cubs. It's with Cubs fans. Most Sox fans don't even have anything against the Cubs as an organization. We just have something against the "fans" who show us incredible amounts of disrespect, and the newspapers that generally don't give fair amounts of attention to us. It's not an inferiority complex. We just want to be appreciated and don't understand why the Cubs are so blindly loved while our organization has, since 1990, had one of the highest winning percentages in all of baseball. We don't understand why the media treated Frank Thomas, the guy who was trying to make steroids a topic even before the '98 homer race as if he were a **** bag while they absolutely loved Sammy Sosa when it was so obvious what was going on. We haven't been treated fairly, and frankly, we're pretty bitter about it.

I hope the Cubs make the playoffs. I won't lie and say I hope they win the World Series, but if their "fans" were a little more decent, I would cheer for them. I just like to see you all eat crow."

DSpivack
08-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Guillen: Very well said, sane, fair comment on Chicago baseball.

TommyJohn
08-27-2008, 11:46 PM
I posted this just now in that response thread:

"It's truly amazing how childish and immature people on both sides of this argument can be. Resorting to stereotypes is so old.

As a Sox fan, I can just go on my own experience growing up and having random people take a Sox hat I wore from my head and throw it in the dirt. Regardless of your leanings, doing stuff like that is so incredibly disrespectful.

Having said that I'm a Sox fan, this post is going to be biased, but I want to clear some things up. For those of you referencing the on-field attacks at Comiskey, I wonder what Randy Myers and Chad Kreuter think about that, so don't act like it's only happened on the South Side. Plus, as was later found (but not well publicized), the guy who attacked umpire Laz Diaz at Comiskey had been at the Cubs' day game earlier and was even wearing a Cubs hat during the attack. So seriously, that whole point backfires.

The Cubs will make the playoffs. This is pretty certain (and if they don't, that's just pathetic). However, when the playoffs start, it's a whole new situation. I don't expect either Chicago team to make the World Series. But I do expect that someone/something will be made a scapegoat if the Cubs don't win it all. Just like Steve Bartman and some stupid goat. In Bartman's case, you'd have a lot more reason to blame Alex Gonzalez and Mark Prior. Winners don't make excuses, and to their credit, the Cubs themselves didn't. Their fans did.

Oh, and Cubs fans might want to see what Derrek Lee, Barack Obama and Marty Brennaman had to say about their behavior. And knowing some of you (not all), you take pride in taking someone's eye out at a child's birthday party because he's a Sox fan.

Unfortunately, of late, the same stupid drunken debauchery we fault Cubs fans for has been happening more frequently at the Cell. But it hasn't reached your level yet.

I'd just like to say that there are some decent Cubs fans out there. It's just that there's a very strong, vocal contingent that casts all of you in a bad light.

Oh, and our obsession isn't with the Cubs. It's with Cubs fans. Most Sox fans don't even have anything against the Cubs as an organization. We just have something against the "fans" who show us incredible amounts of disrespect, and the newspapers that generally don't give fair amounts of attention to us. It's not an inferiority complex. We just want to be appreciated and don't understand why the Cubs are so blindly loved while our organization has, since 1990, had one of the highest winning percentages in all of baseball. We don't understand why the media treated Frank Thomas, the guy who was trying to make steroids a topic even before the '98 homer race as if he were a **** bag while they absolutely loved Sammy Sosa when it was so obvious what was going on. We haven't been treated fairly, and frankly, we're pretty bitter about it.

I hope the Cubs make the playoffs. I won't lie and say I hope they win the World Series, but if their "fans" were a little more decent, I would cheer for them. I just like to see you all eat crow."

I'm disappointed that you referenced only the Myers and Kreuter incidents and left out the many incidents of trash-throwing and the fans that have run out on the field. There were two such incidents in June of 2007, one of them went after Bobby Howry. That they still reference the 2002 and 2003 attacks is ****ing infuriating. Everything else you said was spot-on.