PDA

View Full Version : Who would you like to see in the booth?

RedPinStripes
05-13-2002, 02:35 AM
I would include the SnR crew, but in reality we all know that no network will put up with 3 beer drinkin foul mouthed sox fans that hate every other team. :D:

I wouldn't mind Hawk if Wills was with him. DJ is just dead. I get sick of hearing Hawk and DJ back everything the organization and Manuel for every stupid mistake.

I think Roony and Wills would make a great team on the radio. IMO Roony is very informative while Wills talks just like Die-Hard fan and is very out spoken. These guys on the radio would be perfect. I'd turn the tv volume down and still be able to hear them if i was in the car.

:farmer
uh oh!

GASHWOUND
05-13-2002, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I would include the SnR crew, but in reality we all know that no network will put up with 3 beer drinkin foul mouthed sox fans that hate every other team. :D:

I wouldn't mind Hawk if Wills was with him. DJ is just dead. I get sick of hearing Hawk and DJ back everything the organization and Manuel for every stupid mistake.

I think Roony and Wills would make a great team on the radio. IMO Roony is very informative while Wills talks just like Die-Hard fan and is very out spoken. These guys on the radio would be perfect. I'd turn the tv volume down and still be able to hear them if i was in the car.

:farmer
uh oh!

How about J.Hood and Wills in the booth? That would be great!

kermittheefrog
05-13-2002, 02:41 AM
Josh Lewin - Always seemed like he was secretly a stathead.

&

John Kruk - One of my favorite baseball personalities.

RedPinStripes
05-13-2002, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

How about J.Hood and Wills in the booth? That would be great!

I really hope you're kidding.

GASHWOUND
05-13-2002, 02:55 AM

I really hope you're kidding.

What's wrong with that duo? Everybody seems to like Wills, including me and J.Hood is a great Sox fan who would tell it like it is.

RedPinStripes
05-13-2002, 02:58 AM

What's wrong with that duo? Everybody seems to like Wills, including me and J.Hood is a great Sox fan who would tell it like it is.
As far as color commentary they wouldn't be bad at all, but who would do pbp?

If Wills can do pbp, that might not be a bad idea, but i never heard him do it.

Nellie_Fox
05-13-2002, 02:59 AM
I already referenced it in another thread, but J. Hood takes pro wrestling seriously; why should I take him seriously?

GASHWOUND
05-13-2002, 03:05 AM

As far as color commentary they wouldn't be bad at all, but who would do pbp?

If Wills can do pbp, that might not be a bad idea, but i never heard him do it.

Well, I'm sure Wills could do PbP and has a good voice for it. Its really not that difficult..DJ does PbP, so really, how hard can it be?

GASHWOUND
05-13-2002, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

I already referenced it in another thread, but J. Hood takes pro wrestling seriously; why should I take him seriously?

Isn't that a bit judgemental? Just because he likes wresling doesn't mean he's not insightful about the game of baseball or can't be taken serious. I watch wrestling, does that mean you don't take me serious?

Nellie_Fox
05-13-2002, 03:20 AM
Isn't that a bit judgemental? Just because he likes wresling doesn't mean he's not insightful about the game of baseball or can't be taken serious. I watch wrestling, does that mean you don't take me serious?
If you took up an hour of air time on a "sports talk" radio station to talk about pro wrestling, no I wouldn't take you seriously.

GASHWOUND
05-13-2002, 03:37 AM

If you took up an hour of air time on a "sports talk" radio station to talk about pro wrestling, no I wouldn't take you seriously.

Well, I'm not as hardcore about wrestling as he is, never been to a wrestling even or called into his show. I'm a casual wrestling fan. And its more about demand if the show is on, if noone wanted it on than management wouldn't put it on the air.
And its only 1 hour out of the 24 hours on the air he does a week that he devotes to it. I still think Hood is a very insightful man about the game and what he does on the side for entertainment purposes shouldn't blind your judgment. :smile:

Nellie_Fox
05-13-2002, 03:49 AM
And its more about demand if the show is on, if noone wanted it on than management wouldn't put it on the air. Sorry, there are too many real sports that don't get so much as a mention on sports radio. I don't care how many pro wrestling fans there are; there are as many or more of other legitimate sports, and they don't get radio time. If he's willing to talk about "sports entertainment" wrestling just for the ratings, I don't respect that. If he takes it seriously, I really don't respect that.

GASHWOUND
05-13-2002, 04:02 AM
Sorry, there are too many real sports that don't get so much as a mention on sports radio. I don't care how many pro wrestling fans there are; there are as many or more of other legitimate sports, and they don't get radio time. If he's willing to talk about "sports entertainment" wrestling just for the ratings, I don't respect that. If he takes it seriously, I really don't respect that.

But he does have segments on other legitimate sports. NBA, Highschool sports on Fridays, Baseball post game shows, and the score dedicates 2 or 3 hour shows on other legitimate sports, Golf show, hockey shows. Its not like they don't give more time for legitimate sports. What other legit sports doesn't the Score give radio time to? Nascar? Bowling? Tennis?
Just because its a Sports radio station doesn't mean they can't give an hour a week for entertainment purposes.

Nellie_Fox
05-13-2002, 04:12 AM
What other legit sports doesn't the Score give radio time to? Nascar? Bowling? Tennis?
Just because its a Sports radio station doesn't mean they can't give an hour a week for entertainment purposes.
NASCAR is a heck of a lot more serious (and popular) than pro wrestling.

And it doesn't mean I have to take seriously any radio personality who thinks pro wrestling is worth an hour a week.

GASHWOUND
05-13-2002, 04:25 AM

And it doesn't mean I have to take seriously any radio personality who thinks pro wrestling is worth an hour a week.

Of course you don't, I'm just giving you a different perspective on the situation.
:gulp:

34 Inch Stick
05-13-2002, 04:38 PM
It would be like having a segment about soap operas or a show with sports as its backround theme (Sportsnight, Arli$$). Wrastlin' is not a sport and all it becomes is a discussion of story plots.

I vote for Steve Stone in the booth.

charlie browned
05-13-2002, 05:23 PM
Bring back Jimmy Piersall!

If the Sox are really looking to "increase fan excitement", why not a separate Hispanic broadcast team for Spanish-speaking media outlets?
They'd automatically dominate the Hispanic fan market in Chicago, and pull in alot from outside the Chicago area...

Ozzie Guillen would be pretty funny, I'd bet (I don't speak Spanish)

ode to veeck
05-13-2002, 05:31 PM

Dave Condon, who eloquently authored the original Trib "In the Wake of the News" column for decades also took pro wrestling seriously, but admitedly in the era of Verne Gagne, not "the Rock", and yes of course he understood the purpose was entertainment

on the other hand an occasional column is one thing, wasting an hour of sports radio on pro-wrestling, is well, wasting an hour of sports radio

ode to veeck
05-13-2002, 05:34 PM
Jimmy Piersall and Bill Murray (totally unbiased reporting squared!)

charlie browned
05-13-2002, 05:41 PM
Bill Murray?? A died-in-the-blue, pseudo-knowledgable, typically facile Flubs fan?? No way....

ode to veeck
05-13-2002, 05:59 PM
Bill would root in his usually totally biased fashion for any of the Chicago teams ... & he'd do it a helluva lot better than Hawk, BTW, BMurray's reportedly got a Bill Veeck life story project in the works somewhere

WhiteSoxWinner
05-13-2002, 10:53 PM
What other legit sports doesn't the Score give radio time to? Nascar? Bowling? Tennis?

I hate wrestling, but for the hour they do it, so I have to tune over to the national coverage. As far as the other sports, I consider myslef a race fan, but an hour long discussion about the race? There isn't much controversy in a typical week (Harvick's recent incident and the ONE incident with T Stewart aside) to do a full hour. Bowling? Pllllllease. An hour long show on the radio on tennis would suck because there is no way to SEE Anna Kournikova on the radio, and really, that is the only reason to consider tennis for longer than it takes for the TV channel to change.

Bottom line, I'd endorse J Hood for a broadcast spot. He has some good insights and wouldn't be bad to listen to as a color guy.

Nellie_Fox
05-14-2002, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Bill would root in his usually totally biased fashion for any of the Chicago teams ... & he'd do it a helluva lot better than Hawk, BTW, BMurray's reportedly got a Bill Veeck life story project in the works somewhere
Giving me yet another opportunity to point out the Bill Veeck was never a White Sox fan. He helped plant the vines at Wrigley when his dad was GM there, and I'm convinced he owned the Sox only because he couldn't own the Cubs. He spent all the last years of his life at Wrigley. Don't tell me about how much he disliked Reinsdorf and Einhorn. A real Sox fan would never use that as an excuse to switch allegiances to the Cubs. Owners come and go, the Sox are eternal.

Bill Murray is a Cubs fan, and nothing but. I'd never listen to him broadcasting a Sox game.

34 Inch Stick
05-14-2002, 12:10 PM
Do you think Harry and Jimmy were never White Sox fans also?

RedPinStripes
05-14-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Do you think Harry and Jimmy were never White Sox fans also?

Funny you should ask that because Harry used to make snide comments about the cubs all the time when he was with the Sox.

I think they were both Sox fans until JR had them canned.

voodoochile
05-14-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by charlie browned
Bring back Jimmy Piersall!

If the Sox are really looking to "increase fan excitement", why not a separate Hispanic broadcast team for Spanish-speaking media outlets?
They'd automatically dominate the Hispanic fan market in Chicago, and pull in alot from outside the Chicago area...

Ozzie Guillen would be pretty funny, I'd bet (I don't speak Spanish)

The Sox used to have a spanish radio broadcast. Is it still on?

CiscoCarlos
05-14-2002, 12:33 PM
I enjoy listening to Tommy John's color commentary with the Charlotte Knights. He's full of Sox lore tales--much like Hawk is full of Bosox lore tales. I've heard him tell very interesting Ed Hermanm stories, Pete Ward tales and so on -- and this is for a Charlotte audience! Plus his commentary is insightful about the game itself, so he's play off nicely with Harrelson.

I also enjoy Hawk's enthusiasm, but imagine he must be a very difficult person to work with. I don't know if this is an urban legend or not, but from what I understand Paciorek hated being called Wimpy and Hawk continued to do it. Quite demeaning. With that type of outdated "I'm in charge" attitude toward a color partner, could they ever get anyone of high quality?

voodoochile
05-14-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by CiscoCarlos
I enjoy listening to Tommy John's color commentary with the Charlotte Knights. He's full of Sox lore tales--much like Hawk is full of Bosox lore tales. I've heard him tell very interesting Ed Hermanm stories, Pete Ward tales and so on -- and this is for a Charlotte audience! Plus his commentary is insightful about the game itself, so he's play off nicely with Harrelson.

I also enjoy Hawk's enthusiasm, but imagine he must be a very difficult person to work with. I don't know if this is an urban legend or not, but from what I understand Paciorek hated being called Wimpy and Hawk continued to do it. Quite demeaning. With that type of outdated "I'm in charge" attitude toward a color partner, could they ever get anyone of high quality?

Yeah, for a while Paciorek tried to get Hawk to call him "Duke". It always sounded contrived when Hawk would use it, but eventually it became more commonplace and Hawk only called him Wimpy about half of the time.

As Hawk used to say, "Duke, you'll always be Wimpy to me."

Cheryl
05-14-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

The Sox used to have a spanish radio broadcast. Is it still on?

No. I don't know if the radio station that had them cancelled because of fan indifference or if maybe, just maybe, JR wanted too much for broadcast rights.

Neither team (to my knowledge) does Spanish broadcasting, which is stupid.

chisoxfanatic
05-14-2002, 01:36 PM
Here's an idea...

I think that it is very important to get a female perspective in there, so how about Hawk and Julie Sweica. Sweica is a huge Sox fan who isn't afriad to let herself be known when it comes to heated battles such as Sox/Cubs...or even better...How about "Dubbah H"--Heather n Hawk! :D:

Heather the Redbird

ode to veeck
05-14-2002, 01:47 PM
Bill Veeck was never a White Sox fan

Nellie, I'll buy Bill Murray as eternally Flubs loving (though, I think he'd certainly be entertaining and certaqinly not managment butt kissing), but I've got to call you on that one for Veeck. Not only did he bring us the world series appearance and the South Side Hit Men, but he did a lot to develop a broader fan base for the Sox that JR inherited (and has since squandered). Not to mention, he didn't do too bad within the financial constraints he was burdoned with in his second Sox ownership in terms of identifying, bringing up young talent, e.g. Harold and a host of young pitchers (Burns, Hoyt, Dotson, Trout, etc) from late 70s, early 80s (that JR rode into playoffs in '82)

Yeah the guy turned to the darkside after Jerry and Eddie bad talked him, made fun of him and "cleaned" up the Sox house / image with the likes of Hawk, and Ribbie and Rhubarb (yech!), but don't say that Veeck was never a Sox fan, it don't work!

"If there is any justice in the world, to be a Sox fan frees a man from any other form of penance."

- Bill Veeck

How true

raul12
05-14-2002, 01:56 PM

what about ultimate frisbee?! the greatest non-baseball sport ever!

Nellie_Fox
05-14-2002, 02:03 PM
I think they were both Sox fans until JR had them canned.
Harry wasn't canned; he turned down the Sox offer because he wanted to be on free TV rather than subscription SportsVision. At least that's what he said, and I have no reason to doubt him. Jimmy had worn out his welcome because of his sometimes irrational behavior when he forgot to take his medications. I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd keep paying someone to go on the air and rip me all the time.

Originally posted by CiscoCarlos
I don't know if this is an urban legend or not, but from what I understand Paciorek hated being called Wimpy and Hawk continued to do it. Quite demeaning.
I have no way of knowing if Paciorek hated the nickname, but Hawk wasn't the one who gave it to him. He got it when he was a rookie with the Dodgers, because when he would go out to dinner with all the other young Dodgers who were big-bonus, big-contract guys, they would all order steaks and lobsters, and Paciorek, who was not making the big money, would always get a hamburger. The other players started calling him Wimpy after the burger-eating character in the Popeye cartoons. Paciorek told the story on the air several times over the years, and he never said that he hated the nickname.