PDA

View Full Version : How about this scenario?

KenBerryGrab
08-21-2008, 12:05 PM
As Boston's starters either ache or stumble, there's a great chance the wild card could come out of the Central.

So how's this for a scenario:

The White Sox catch the Rays for the second-best record in the AL. The Twins take the wild card.

Minnesota steals one at Anaheim and uses its dome voodoo to take that ALDS series. The White Sox prevail over the Rays, thanks in no small part to home field advantage.

ALCS: Sox vs. Twins, with the South Siders having home field.

Would that be a series or what?

gogosox16
08-21-2008, 12:07 PM
As Boston's starters either ache or stumble, there's a great chance the wild card could come out of the Central.

The White Sox catch the Rays for the second-best record in the AL. The Twins take the wild card.

Minnesota steals one at Anaheim and uses its dome voodoo to take that ALDS series. The White Sox prevail over the Rays, thanks in no small part to home field advantage.

Even thought, both The Rays and Angels are much better overall teams on paper, I would not want to face the Twins in the playoffs, expecially in the dome, and they always find ways to win.

oeo
08-21-2008, 12:14 PM

The Twins win a playoff series? That's funny.

skottyj242
08-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Fox would love it.

SoxGirl4Life
08-21-2008, 12:33 PM
The Twins win a playoff series? That's funny.
I'm with you

It's Dankerific
08-21-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't like to pick who I want in the playoffs because I don't want to worry if they lose that I wished that upon them. When I was asked in 2005 who I wanted the whitesox to play, i always said "whoever is easiest to beat" and let the baseball gods work it out.

pmck003
08-21-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't think the Twins would be easier than anyone else, but it would be alot of fun

DumpJerry
08-21-2008, 01:13 PM
The Twins getting out of the ALDS?

Did I just see a pig fly past my office window?

Seriously, Fox and ESPN would really, really hate your scenario. They would go into NFL as much as possible taking breaks for roundtable discussions of "how the Red Sox will make it back to the World Series in 2009."

palehozenychicty
08-21-2008, 01:33 PM

Did I just see a pig fly past my office window?

Seriously, Fox and ESPN would really, really hate your scenario. They would go into NFL as much as possible taking breaks for roundtable discussions of "how the Red Sox will make it back to the World Series in 2009."

The Twins getting out of the first round is like the Vikings winning a Super Bowl. Not in this day and age.

White City
08-21-2008, 01:57 PM
The Twins getting out of the first round is like the Vikings winning a Super Bowl. Not in this day and age.

Vikings Winning a Super Bowl = Not in any day or age.

TDog
08-21-2008, 02:08 PM
I don't like to pick who I want in the playoffs because I don't want to worry if they lose that I wished that upon them. When I was asked in 2005 who I wanted the whitesox to play, i always said "whoever is easiest to beat" and let the baseball gods work it out.

I agree. I remember in 2000, having tickets for the ALDS games in Chicago, being happy that the Mariners beat out the Indians for the wild card the last weekend of the season. It was the diffeence between the White Sox having the homefield advantage over the wild card Mariners and having up to three games at home against the Yankees.

We know how the series against the Mariners worked out. Whether it would have been different against the Yankees (playing the games at night where the 2000 Sox had a better regular season record, but against a veteran team with postseason experience) is anyone's guess. It probably couldn't have turned out worse.

If the Twins do make the postseason (such is my hatred for the Twins that I hope it never again happens), I do hope it is as the wild card, for obvious reasons.

skottyj242
08-21-2008, 02:16 PM

."

I just glanced at this and I thought it said: Twins getting AIDS?

hawkjt
08-21-2008, 02:18 PM
his very likely that the Sox will face the Rays in the first round if they make it. I can live with that. Maybe the young Rays will freak out under the pressure.

skottyj242
08-21-2008, 02:37 PM
his very likely that the Sox will face the Rays in the first round if they make it. I can live with that. Maybe the young Rays will freak out under the pressure.

Why is it unlikely? If the wild card comes out of the Central we can't play the Twins, if it comes out of the East the Rays can't play Boston.

thomas35forever
08-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Fox would love it.
TBS carries the American League playoffs this year.

DumpJerry
08-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Would be nice to avoid that dome. The only way I see us avoiding a dome is to go on the Run of the Century while the Angels take a total dive to give us the best AL record. Combine that with the Red Sox pulling off the WC. We face the Red Sox in the ALDS with home field advantage. The Angels face the Rays in the ALDS with home field advantage. We beat the Red Sox, the Angels win their series. We face the Angels in the ALCS. The Cubs win the NLCS to get to the World Series for the first time in 63 years. We face a National League team with no significant World Series experience and home field advantage.........

Sound vaguely familiar?