PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to New York...help!

hi im skot
08-21-2008, 11:01 AM
My sister and I are taking my dad to Yankee Stadium on September 15th. We're trying to figure out the best general area to get a hotel in, and if a rental car will be necessary.

It's a super-short trip, as we're just in town for the Monday night Sox/Yankees game and then maybe a quick visit to downtown Tuesday. We're also hoping to squeeze a tour of the ballpark in sometime.

So, can any of you fine folks make any recommendations on where the heck we should stay and/or tips on getting to the stadium?

Thanks!!

Mr.1Dog
08-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Don't rent a car. It is pointless. Depending on where you are flying into, I would recommend taking a cab. From LaGuardia it's about $45 or so into Manhattan. They have a more expansive subway system than Chicago. You can take the train to Yankee Stadium. There are plenty of hotels in Manhattan and would not recommend staying in the Bronx. When I was there in December for my sister's wedding, there was a nice little pub just west of Times Square. The guy immediately recognized my "accent" and asked if I liked the Sox or Cubs. I said the Sox and he gave me a free shot and beer. He lived on the Southside for 20 years. Try to find him.

Save McCuddy's
08-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Hotel Fitzpatrick at 57th and Lexington in Midtown. Outstanding set up, great pub in the lobby. I prefer this location to the Times Square location, so make sure to specify Midtown when calling. The beauty is that the subway is less than a block away and takes you directly to the stadium. I usually take a car service there and subway back.

If not Hotel Fitzpatrick, then look in Midtown or the upper East side -- these are two neighborhoods that are convenient to get to the Bronx and also well located for assorted tourist activities, walking through the park etc. Have a great time and prepare to pay a **** load for beer.

hi im skot
08-21-2008, 11:12 AM
I should also note that I'm hoping to do the hotel on the cheap (or, you know, as cheap as humanly possible). Since we're just there for a night, we don't really need anything fancy.

Max Power
08-21-2008, 11:13 AM
I was just in NYC for a Yankee game last weekend. Definitely do not rent a car. The Subway goes everywhere, including Yankee Stadium. They are doing a lot of construction- similar to what's going on with the el these days- so make sure to check their website for what trains are or are not running, though it seems like they're doing most of that stuff on weekends.

Save McCuddy's
08-21-2008, 11:16 AM
I should also note that I'm hoping to do the hotel on the cheap (or, you know, as cheap as humanly possible). Since we're just there for a night, we don't really need anything fancy.

Skotty --

Look on Craigs list for short term/vacation rentals. Lots of manhattanites sublet their apartments for short stays and even by the night. This can be the best price and an insider's trip to town at the same time.

08-21-2008, 11:16 AM
My sister and I are taking my dad to Yankee Stadium on September 15th. We're trying to figure out the best general area to get a hotel in, and if a rental car will be necessary.

It's a super-short trip, as we're just in town for the Monday night Sox/Yankees game and then maybe a quick visit to downtown Tuesday. We're also hoping to squeeze a tour of the ballpark in sometime.

So, can any of you fine folks make any recommendations on where the heck we should stay and/or tips on getting to the stadium?

Thanks!!

Don't rent a car, you won't need one.

Try the Hotel Wolcott, 4 W. 31st St. between 5th Ave. and Broadway. Go to their website at www.wolcott.com (http://www.wolcott.com) and see if discount code 1059 helps. It's three blocks from the Empire State Building and also close to Penn Station, which is likely where your shuttle or better yet subway train will drop you off.

Good luck on a ballpark tour. It sounds like your schedule is extremely tight and I'm hearing the tours are booked tight. Hopefully you can get in.

If you use search, there's a lengthy thread on NYC with a whole bunch of recommendations for convenient food, eats, etc.

Edit: for reference, we paid $160 for our room at the Wolcott. For mid town Manhattan, that's cheap.

twentywontowin
08-21-2008, 11:21 AM
One recommendation for food:

Peter Luger's.

Best steak in the world. Bring cash.

doublem23
08-21-2008, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't even bother with the car. I'm assuming your flying, just take a cab in to town and the take the subway. IIRC, Yankee Stadium is served by the B, D, and 4 trains, and I think just about any point on Manhattan Island is within walking distance of one of those stations.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

DumpJerry
08-21-2008, 11:29 AM
The parking challenges New York City presents make Chicago look like parking heaven.

seventyseven
08-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Like the previous posts said, do not rent a car. Take a cab from LGA and the subway (4 train) to/from Yankee Stadium.

Best place for a reasonably-priced (i.e. under $250) hotel with good location is Midtown East. Being near Grand Central is ideal to catch the 4 train, and most other lines to see the city. Do NOT stay in the Bronx.

Try to avoid eating/drinking near Times Square. Its terribly touristy, and overpriced, even for NYC.

Mr.1Dog
08-21-2008, 11:31 AM
There is a great pizza place right across the street from the Empire State Building. I believe it's on 33rd right next to the Gray's Papaya. FWIW, Gray's sucks for a hot dog. You will have better luck with a dirty water dog on the street.

Bucky F. Dent
08-21-2008, 01:16 PM
I was in NYC for a Yankee game the first weekend in August. We stayed at a Hotel in midtown and took the subway to the stadium.

If you want to see the monuments, get there early and be prepared to stand in line.

Don't rent a car.

kittle42
08-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Try priceline for a one-night stay, choose several areas in Manhattan, and toss in a reasonable price, and you'll get somewhere good. I have gotten the Grand Hyatt at Grand Central Station twice on the cheap, and that was over the weekend.

Follow the train advice of our fellow WSIers.

Bob G
08-21-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm also going to NYC for 5 days and will be at the 9/15 game. I was on the Yankee web site and noticed you can take the Yankee Clipper ferry to the stadium. If anyone has any advice on this please let me know.

I also checked into tickets for the stadium tour but they're sold out.

dickallen15
08-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Try priceline for a one-night stay, choose several areas in Manhattan, and toss in a reasonable price, and you'll get somewhere good. I have gotten the Grand Hyatt at Grand Central Station twice on the cheap, and that was over the weekend.

Follow the train advice of our fellow WSIers.

An added bonus if you get the Grand Hyatt on priceline is that is also where the White Sox stay.

tony1972
08-21-2008, 02:54 PM

Thanks!!

Don't rent a car either..you can get anywhere in New York with public transportation...also..I would not stay in Manhattan..but a nicer hotel for 1/3 the money in Queens or Brooklyn and just use the Subway....

kittle42
08-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Don't rent a car either..you can get anywhere in New York with public transportation...also..I would not stay in Manhattan..but a nicer hotel for 1/3 the money in Queens or Brooklyn and just use the Subway....

Bah. Stay in Manhattan.

nccwsfan
08-21-2008, 10:44 PM
:hijacked: ....sort of.

I'm going to one of the games. For those who have been there before (White Sox games or other) are there a lot of visiting fans and if so are they wearing their team's gear? I'd love to show my team spirit, but not if it includes beer showers or drunken fans.

08-21-2008, 10:52 PM
I'd love to show my team spirit, but not if it includes beer showers or drunken fans.

I wouldn't. NY fans are notorious for giving visiting fans a hard time, to put it nicely.

Having been to almost all the other major league stadiums, my advice would be to be respectful, recognize you're in someone else's stadium, be somwhat low key, and cheer for your team in an under the radar way. If that makes sense. You're in the minority, and Yankee Stadium in particular is known for a certain level of shall we say, hostility.

But obviously it's up to you, and I wish you the very best of times at the game. Very glad you get to see Yankee Stadium, as I did last year.

Bucky F. Dent
08-21-2008, 10:59 PM

I'm going to one of the games. For those who have been there before (White Sox games or other) are there a lot of visiting fans and if so are they wearing their team's gear? I'd love to show my team spirit, but not if it includes beer showers or drunken fans.

Granted, I was in box seats on a Sunday afternoon, but I saw quite alot of out of town gear (including my red early seventies White Sox cap), and no one said anything.

The Angels fans at that game I was at (it was NYC v. LAA) appeared to go unmolested.

I didn't see any BoSox gear, however.

Max Power
08-21-2008, 11:01 PM

I was at the Yankees/Royals game last Saturday and TONS of people were wearing non-Yankees apparel- even saw a couple of Sox jerseys, I just wore a Sox hat. Yankee fans were giving crap to the few people in Red Sox apparel, but no one said anything to me nor did I see anyone in non-Red Sox gear get crap. Then again a Saturday afternoon game in August against the Royals is a probably a prime "tourist game," so things might be a little different for other games.

DSpivack
08-21-2008, 11:20 PM
I was at the Yankees/Royals game last Saturday and TONS of people were wearing non-Yankees apparel- even saw a couple of Sox jerseys, I just wore a Sox hat. Yankee fans were giving crap to the few people in Red Sox apparel, but no one said anything to me nor did I see anyone in non-Red Sox gear get crap. Then again a Saturday afternoon game in August against the Royals is a probably a prime "tourist game," so things might be a little different for other games.

I sat in the (no alcohol) bleachers in may to see the Mariners; there was a small group of Mariners fans behind me that were getting some good natured ribbing, but very light hearted. I would think it depends on the team (I wouldn't expect Yankee fans to much care about the White Sox) and where you sit (again, I was in a no alcohol section, thus it was mostly families).

Viva Medias B's
08-21-2008, 11:34 PM
As has been stated numerous times, you will not need a rental car. The subway, cabs, and your feet can take you anywhere in Midtown Manhattan. From LaGuardia, taking something like Super Shuttle to Midtown would be cheaper than a cab. As for places to stay, I stayed at a Best Western around 48th & Broadway in 2005 for about $99 per night. I don't think you'd get that today, but it was a great deal for a hotel off Times Square. As for places to eat, Mickey Mantle's Restaurant on Central Park South is a good place if you like the sports bar scene.

nccwsfan
08-21-2008, 11:36 PM
2906/Bucky/Max/DSpivack,
Thanks for the input. I'm pretty low key at the games- cheer for the team but not obnoxious or loud. I'll probably go hat only for this one....should be a lot of fun!

seventyseven
08-22-2008, 12:54 AM
As for places to eat, Mickey Mantle's Restaurant on Central Park South is a good place if you like the sports bar scene.

Blondie's is a better bet for a sports bar. But then again, that's not really NYC's forte.

BeefyD
08-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I will also be at the 9/15 game. My buddy, my brother and I are driving there, hitting Cooperstown on 9/13 before heading to NYC that night. The car will be parked the whole time we're in NYC. Then, Tues., 9/16, we drive to Pitts. to PNC park to see the Pirates vs. the Dodgers. Then its back to Chicago on Wed. Should be fun.

Thanks for all of the tips. 1Dog, do you remember the name of the bar with the southside barkeep??

Tour passes, FYI, have been sold out since May. They do, however, sell about 20 passes that day for each tour. So there's still some hope without paying through the nose.

wilburaga
08-22-2008, 01:38 PM
One recommendation for food:

Peter Luger's.

Best steak in the world. Bring cash.

Truer words were never typed. Luger's is in Brooklyn at the base of the Williamsburg bridge. My siblings and I meet there periodically for milestone birthdays, etc. We take the subway over, but after stuffing ourselves with the best steak in the world, we walk back to Manhattan over the bridge. It is spectacular.

W

#1swisher
08-22-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm also going to NYC for 5 days and will be at the 9/15 game. I was on the Yankee web site and noticed you can take the Yankee Clipper ferry to the stadium. If anyone has any advice on this please let me know.

I also checked into tickets for the stadium tour but they're sold out.

on nyyfans.com they mentioned that stadium tour tickets are being sold on ebay.

Have a great time.

jenn2080
08-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Skotty, my brother and I are going the weekend before the Sox play. We are staying on 48th and Park at the Intercontinental for 279 a night. You can take the 4 or the 6. I cannot remember which one. It will drop you off in front of the stadium. Check hotwire.

TomC727
08-22-2008, 09:47 PM
I live about 1.5 hours from NYC now. I go into the city about once a week if my schedule allows. I have been to numerous Yankee games, including White Sox - Yankees.

1) Don't rent a car, you can take the subway everywhere you go. I usually take the train in from South Jersey and then subway it to whatever neighborhood I plan on going.

2) Don't be afraid to wear your Sox gear. I braved the NYC subway in full White Sox gear and the only things I got were "Hey man, you from Chicago, thats cool, thats a great city" etc.

3) I love the city but it is no Chicago. It is dirty as hell and smells like **** but for some reason, it has its charm. And compared to Chicago, it is about 4 times the size.

4) Enjoy the game, I plan on going to that game also.

Dr. TomC727

JungleJimR
08-22-2008, 11:57 PM
I have lived in NYC for the past 20 years and for what its worth, here are my suggestions:

Where to stay: By all means in mid-town Manhattan. You have many options but I would try the internet for best buys. You don't need a luxury room, you'll be out and about town, not in your room. And you will be within walking distance of many sites.

How to get around: By subway - 4 train to Yankee stadium and subways and bus anywhere else. The subways and streets of Manhattan are very safe and NY is a wonderful walking city. If you are staying for a day or more of site seeing, look into an MTA unlimited fun day pass -$7.50. If you want to be shown around - go on line for Gray Line tours - unlimited 2 day all areas is $45. And you can get off and on as much as you want to explore on your own. If you are going "cross-town" you can walk faster than a cab ride. Use the subway for going long distances up and down the island, and buses for shorter and for more relaxed site seeing

Where to eat: NY is wonderful for any kind of ethnic food, and you don't have to pay high prices. All restaurants show menus in their windows. For any stay longer than a couple of days - get Zagat's guide - very reliable.

Wearing Sox gear: Go for it! We want to be seen and heard. Yankee fans appreciate this and we are the Right Sox team. If you are in box seat land then you will be inundated with very astute fans that will try to impress you with their knowledge of your team, farm system and all. If you are in the bleachers expect some friendly ribbing, and it could get heavier come mid Sept as Yankee fans are rather depressed and they would love to spoil a contender's dreams.

Site Seeing: If you are bearing witness to Ground Zero and have some extra time walk down Broadway to St Paul's and Trinity churches and to the colonial era graveyards. Then walk past Wall Street on to Battery Park and take the Staten Island Ferry (Free both ways) - Great views of Statue of Liberty and Manhattan sky line - lots of international tourists. Then take the 1 train back uptown to 50th street exit and go to the tdf 1/2 price board for Broadway theatre tickets - in mid week and pre season there should be ample offerings. If your hotel is mid-town walk to Times Square at night for a view of quite a light show.

Walk to as much as you can because September is a wonderful month weather-wise with the summer tourists gone and the city back to work with all its buzz. And route for a sweep on our last visit to wonderful Yankee Stadium.

whitesoxwilkes
08-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Hotel Fitzpatrick at 57th and Lexington in Midtown. Outstanding set up, great pub in the lobby. I prefer this location to the Times Square location, so make sure to specify Midtown when calling. The beauty is that the subway is less than a block away and takes you directly to the stadium. I usually take a car service there and subway back.

If not Hotel Fitzpatrick, then look in Midtown or the upper East side -- these are two neighborhoods that are convenient to get to the Bronx and also well located for assorted tourist activities, walking through the park etc. Have a great time and prepare to pay a **** load for beer.

It's at 47th, not 57th...right across from my office there.

I have spent many a night at the Wheeltapper tipping beers.

C-Dawg
08-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Laguardia really needs direct subway service! There are busses that connect it to Manhattan and Queens (its in Queens, obviously!) however so I would recommend them over a cab. You can take a bus 20 or so blocks south to the Number 7 subway which will take you west to Grand central, then transfer to the Number 4.

I've said it before; New York's public transportation system makes our look small and quaint.

I could recommend the cheap hotel I stayed at in Queens but it was quite the dive and had no amenities. we had to take the bus just to get any kind of food. But, hey, it was cheap.

DSpivack
08-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Laguardia really needs direct subway service! There are busses that connect it to Manhattan and Queens (its in Queens, obviously!) however so I would recommend them over a cab. You can take a bus 20 or so blocks south to the Number 7 subway which will take you west to Grand central, then transfer to the Number 4.

I've said it before; New York's public transportation system makes our look small and quaint.

I could recommend the cheap hotel I stayed at in Queens but it was quite the dive and had no amenities. we had to take the bus just to get any kind of food. But, hey, it was cheap.

Kind of a hijack, but NYC is amazingly dense compared to Chicago. Despite being scattered across 5 boroughs, it's not that much bigger than Chicago; 305 square miles of land to Chicago's 237. However, NYC has 8 million people while Chicago has 2.5. Some people are wowed by the tall buildings in NY; Chicago has some buildings taller than any in NY, but I'm always amazed by the sheer volume of skyscrapers in Manhattan.