PDA

View Full Version : Cubcast Sports Net

russ99
08-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Ok, this may lean towards a "flubsessed" post, but what's up with Comcast Sports Net and their constant practice of putting the Cubs first on their Sports Nite show, not to mention heavier coverage than the Sox on Chicago Tribune Live and other talk shows.

Yesterday, the Sox destroyed the Mariners and Griffey hit a historic homer, but on the 10pm SportsNight, a semi-embarassing cub loss led the show and had extended coverage...

Don't both teams own the station equally? So why do the Cubs get preferential treatment?

soxpride724
08-21-2008, 08:11 AM
No matter how impressive a White Sox winner might be, a Cubs loss will always lead the show. As will a Cubs win and a White Sox win etc.

Law11
08-21-2008, 08:30 AM
They always save the best for last..

Taliesinrk
08-21-2008, 08:30 AM
I don't like it - but the Cubs were vying to go 30 games over .500. I mean, they have been are close to being the best (record wise) team in baseball... so I can kind of understand it here.

russ99
08-21-2008, 09:20 AM
I don't like it - but the Cubs were vying to go 30 games over .500. I mean, they have been are close to being the best (record wise) team in baseball... so I can kind of understand it here.

Yeah, but we're having a great season, are in first place in an exciting and close pennant race and also only 4 games off of the Cubs W-L record.
When (not if) we catch up will the coverage switch? Hmm, I don't think so...

oeo
08-21-2008, 09:27 AM

The Cubs are also 5 games ahead in their division. Which game mattered more?

The Sox won, they should have lead off.

areilly
08-21-2008, 09:38 AM
It's broadcast 101 - you always lead with the story that affects the most people. More Cubs fans = more people affected by Cubs loss. Simple as that.

People really need to stop clinging to these fantastic ideals of journalistic integrity and giving balanced reporting, as though sports media were a beacon of neutrality. It's not, and it never has been, and it never will be.

oeo
08-21-2008, 09:40 AM
It's broadcast 101 - you always lead with the story that affects the most people. More Cubs fans = more people affected by Cubs loss. Simple as that.

People really need to stop clinging to these fantastic ideals of journalistic integrity and giving balanced reporting, as though sports media were a beacon of neutrality. It's not, and it never has been, and it never will be.

I certainly don't want to watch Sox highlights after they lose. I think it would make more sense to lead off with the team that won. :dunno:

CHIsoxNation
08-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Let's face it...the storyline for Chicago baseball this year is the Cubs hopes of ending their 100 year drought. That's pretty much been the theme and what has been talked about for most of the year when talking about Chicago baseball. I don't really expect that or the extensive coverage of the Cubs to change unless the Sox went on some crazy 20 game streak or something. As much as it sucks...it is what it is. I'd expect the same thing if both teams made the playoffs too.

jdm2662
08-21-2008, 09:43 AM
The Sox have led off many times I've watched the program. So, why you people are wasting time with this thread is beyond me.

oeo
08-21-2008, 09:53 AM
The Sox have led off many times I've watched the program. So, why you people are wasting time with this thread is beyond me.

Well, mostly because I hadn't seen the highlights of the game yet, and really didn't want to sit through 5 minutes worth of a crap Cubs lost. It was a terrible game...not exactly a ratings snatcher.

seventyseven
08-21-2008, 09:53 AM

Better question: why are you wasting time watching the program in the first place? Same question for anyone who watches BBTN or Sportscenter.

oeo
08-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Better question: why are you wasting time watching the program in the first place? Same question for anyone who watches BBTN or Sportscenter.

Uh...because unlike BBTN and SportsCenter, SportsNite is all about Chicago sports. :scratch:

johnr1note
08-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Let's face it...the storyline for Chicago baseball this year is the Cubs hopes of ending their 100 year drought. That's pretty much been the theme and what has been talked about for most of the year when talking about Chicago baseball. I don't really expect that or the extensive coverage of the Cubs to change unless the Sox went on some crazy 20 game streak or something. As much as it sucks...it is what it is. I'd expect the same thing if both teams made the playoffs too.

But what about the concept of both Chicago teams going to the postseason? Everyone seems to have the Cubs ticket to the World Series already punched, while the Sox are the big question mark. I would think the concept of both teams doing so well would mean more even coverage.

For example, I tuned in briefly to WGN Radio's coverage of the Cubs/Reds game. It was the pregame. They went to the "scoreboard" and gave the score of the Brewers game, and of a couple other National League games, but nothing about the White Sox game from that afternoon. Why should they say anything? Well, its a Chicago radio station, and the Sox are fighting for first place. A simple mention of the score would have been enough. I know its "Cubs Central," but totally ignoring the Sox doesn't make them non-existent. Maybe I expect too much, but you would think a mention of it, in the pregame, would be appropriate.

twsoxfan5
08-21-2008, 10:11 AM
I hate to break the news to everyone, but there is one answer to this: The Cubs are more popular than the Sox right now. That should not surprise you anymore.

pierzynski07
08-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Why would it be appropriate? It's a Cubs game, and a battle of opponents in the National League. The American League has no priority.

chisoxmike
08-21-2008, 10:23 AM
The Cubs probably led off because their game had just wrapped up and was the latest sports news in Chicago. The Sox game was in the afternoon and most likely led off their 6:30 show. By 10pm, everybody probably had seen the Sox highlights and knew what went down in the game.

DumpJerry
08-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Same here. I've seen many SportsNite and SportsRise shows lead off with a Sox win even though the Cubs also won.

Yesterday there was not "extended"coverage of the Cub game. The Sox game got pretty much the same number of minutes.

Remember, CSN is owned by the Sox and Cubs among other Chicago teams.

jdm2662
08-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Same here. I've seen many SportsNite and SportsRise shows lead off with a Sox win even though the Cubs also won.

Yesterday there was not "extended"coverage of the Cub game. The Sox game got pretty much the same number of minutes.

Remember, CSN is owned by the Sox and Cubs among other Chicago teams.

Really? So, I'm not the only sane one here? Seriously, this thread is a borderline joke.

The Cubs probably led off because their game had just wrapped up and was the latest sports news in Chicago. The Sox game was in the afternoon and most likely led off their 6:30 show. By 10pm, everybody probably had seen the Sox highlights and knew what went down in the game.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. I happened to watch the 6:30 show, and they led off the show with a good five or so mins of highlights of the Sox.

Iwritecode
08-21-2008, 11:25 AM

CSN > BBTN and SC combined.

They'll at least show more than 30 seconds of highlights plus some of the post-game stuff.

TommyJohn
08-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Why would it be appropriate? It's a Cubs game, and a battle of opponents in the National League. The American League has no priority.

Our resident Cub Fan In Disguise speaks again, predictably. Whatever.

But I wouldn't worry about the media, or how they are or aren't treating the Sox. 2005 brought out their true colors. Let's just enjoy this season. The Sox are in a fight for the postseason a year after losing 90 games. It's a great feeling to be rooting for a winning team once again. Fun, too.

Zisk77
08-21-2008, 03:02 PM

Well lets see, i watched BBTN for sox higlight. They said they were coming up next. The start talking about what is happening in the sox game but they are showing the indians and balt. they say they'll get that corrected and show sox highlates later...and never do.

balke
08-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Ok, this may lean towards a "flubsessed" post, but what's up with Comcast Sports Net and their constant practice of putting the Cubs first on their Sports Nite show, not to mention heavier coverage than the Sox on Chicago Tribune Live and other talk shows.

Yesterday, the Sox destroyed the Mariners and Griffey hit a historic homer, but on the 10pm SportsNight, a semi-embarassing cub loss led the show and had extended coverage...

Don't both teams own the station equally? So why do the Cubs get preferential treatment?

I think you notice this because the Sox game comes up after the show, so they probably talk about the Sox later in the show, thinking Sox fans just tuned in. That's what I always assume, and I'd assume they do the opposite for Cubs games. P.S. I think its common practice to save the best stories for last, so the viewer stays tuned.

thomas35forever
08-21-2008, 04:31 PM
I have to say that CSN is one of the more balanced media outlets in Chicago. I've seen Sox wins lead off SportsNite many times, especially when the Cubs lose. I don't have an answer about last night, but I do know that this thread should not really exist.

EuroSox35
08-21-2008, 07:16 PM
I was actually about to post the same thing yesterday, it was over the top. Chicago Trib Live after the day game, their intro emphasizes the game was against "last place Seattle", and the panel goes on and on talking about how abysmal they are, that it's nice to be playing them, and uses the good Griffey game as a negative by saying it took him way too long to do something. Then they did a promo on the 'red hot Cubs', funny how I never hear anything about the terrible Reds/Pirates clubs they're always facing, the ones who have overhauled their team by midseason every year

Meanwhile, Sportsnite, their channel didn't even show the Cubs game, but they covered it like 4-5 times throughout the show, they would come out of commercial and microanalyze little situations and all that, I thought it was a post game show

pierzynski07
08-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Our resident Cub Fan In Disguise speaks again, predictably. Whatever.

But I wouldn't worry about the media, or how they are or aren't treating the Sox. 2005 brought out their true colors. Let's just enjoy this season. The Sox are in a fight for the postseason a year after losing 90 games. It's a great feeling to be rooting for a winning team once again. Fun, too.
:rolleyes: If you're going to complain everytime I post, regardless of what the content is, then do me a favor and add me to your ignore list. Thank you.

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Are we still measuring newspaper column lengths with a school ruler?

nccwsfan
08-21-2008, 09:26 PM

This is the truth. I get most all of my TV sports news through Comcast SportsNet (I'm a Chicago sports fan), and I would say that the White Sox lead off the show quite often, and this has been the case since 2005. Seriously, if anyone thinks there's a Comcast bias I need to call DirecTV because I'm watching an entirely different channel.

TommyJohn
08-21-2008, 09:30 PM
:rolleyes: If you're going to complain everytime I post, regardless of what the content is, then do me a favor and add me to your ignore list. Thank you.

I don't know what you're talking about. I'll see you a :rolleyes: and raise you a :rolleyes::rolleyes:

BridgePortNative
08-22-2008, 01:04 AM
I was actually about to post the same thing yesterday, it was over the top. Chicago Trib Live after the day game, their intro emphasizes the game was against "last place Seattle", and the panel goes on and on talking about how abysmal they are, that it's nice to be playing them, and uses the good Griffey game as a negative by saying it took him way too long to do something. Then they did a promo on the 'red hot Cubs', funny how I never hear anything about the terrible Reds/Pirates clubs they're always facing, the ones who have overhauled their team by midseason every year

Meanwhile, Sportsnite, their channel didn't even show the Cubs game, but they covered it like 4-5 times throughout the show, they would come out of commercial and microanalyze little situations and all that, I thought it was a post game show

yeah, Chicago Tribune Live is completely unwatchable now because of Dave Kaplan. that guy is such a freaking tool.

JB98
08-22-2008, 01:12 AM
yeah, Chicago Tribune Live is completely unwatchable now because of Dave Kaplan. that guy is such a freaking tool.

I agree with that. From what I've seen of SportsNite, they treat the Sox fairly. Chicago Tribune Live, however, is unwatchable because Kaplan's Cubbie arrogance shines through on a regular basis. I used to tune in with some frequency when Jiggets was in charge of the panel. Now that Kaplan is there, **** it. Waste of time.

btrain929
08-22-2008, 02:35 AM
yeah, chicago tribune live is completely unwatchable now because of dave kaplan. That guy is such a freaking tool.

i agree with that. From what i've seen of sportsnite, they treat the sox fairly. Chicago tribune live, however, is unwatchable because kaplan's cubbie arrogance shines through on a regular basis. I used to tune in with some frequency when jiggets was in charge of the panel. Now that kaplan is there, **** it. Waste of time.

+1. The sound of his voice and that dumb smirk he always has on his face makes me wanna punch a baby.

jdm2662
08-22-2008, 09:09 AM

Agreed. I watched it all the time when Jiggets was on. He did a great job running the show. Kaplan, not so much...

oeo
08-22-2008, 09:13 AM
I agree with that. From what I've seen of SportsNite, they treat the Sox fairly. Chicago Tribune Live, however, is unwatchable because Kaplan's Cubbie arrogance shines through on a regular basis. I used to tune in with some frequency when Jiggets was in charge of the panel. Now that Kaplan is there, **** it. Waste of time.

Kaplan is an asshat. He compares everything to the Cubs. Whether they're talking Sox, Bears, Bulls, whoever...somehow, some way he works in the Cubs. :?:

skottyj242
08-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Wanna know what else sucks? The Cubs led off last night's broadcast too. What the SOX did on their day off is more important. That should have been the whole show.

gn2727
08-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Hows this any different than what ESPN or FOX does? :scratch:

1908<2005
08-22-2008, 04:50 PM
If you were running a TV station wouldn't you want the more popular team leading off?

1908<2005
08-22-2008, 04:51 PM
OH AND CHICAGO TRIBUNE LIVE IS OBVIOUSLY CUB BIAS!
They don't have a Nick Swisher interview every week. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I want Mags back
08-22-2008, 09:45 PM
OH AND CHICAGO TRIBUNE LIVE IS OBVIOUSLY CUB BIAS!
They don't have a Nick Swisher interview every week. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

DumpJerry
08-24-2008, 11:15 PM
We led off Sportsnite tonight. Despite the Cubs' victory today.