PDA

View Full Version : The Cheapest of Cheap Shots from a Brother Priest

kevin57
08-20-2008, 10:14 PM
:angry: I've said it before. I'm ashamed we belong to the same 'club,' as this tool but the "Rev." Andrew Greeley has sunk to a new low in cheap shots. I quote from his op-ed in today's Rag-Times:

Who are those who reject compromise of a useless and criminally deadly war like Iraq? They are the blusterers, members of 'veteran's organizations,' mountain folk, crackers, West Texans, blue-collar workers, evangelical clergy, neo-cons, Republicans, white ethnics, Sox fans, ..." :scratch:

Please do not turn this into a political thread. That is not the point. But how in the hell did Sox fans get lumped into this group and invoked in this discussion? Little wonder he and Eddie Munster (aka, the Moron) work for the same newspaper. :angry: Disgraceful! And some wonder why Sox fans have a chip on their shoulders?!

SoxandtheCityTee
08-20-2008, 10:19 PM
:angry:
Please do not turn this into a political thread.

You have no hope on this.

But I get your point.

Soxman219
08-20-2008, 10:22 PM
:angry: I've said it before. I'm ashamed we belong to the same 'club,' as this tool but the "Rev." Andrew Greeley has sunk to a new low in cheap shots. I quote from his op-ed in today's Rag-Times:

Who are those who reject compromise of a useless and criminally deadly war like Iraq? They are the blusterers, members of 'veteran's organizations,' mountain folk, crackers, West Texans, blue-collar workers, evangelical clergy, neo-cons, Republicans, white ethnics, Sox fans, ..." :scratch:

Please do not turn this into a political thread. That is not the point. But how in the hell did Sox fans get lumped into this group and invoked in this discussion? Little wonder he and Eddie Munster (aka, the Moron) work for the same newspaper. :angry: Disgraceful! And some wonder why Sox fans have a chip on their shoulders?!

What happened?

I want Mags back
08-20-2008, 10:24 PM

what this "club"

DickAllen72
08-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Who cares about anything Greeley writes? :scratch:

He's the Jay Mariotti of the Op-Ed circle.

kevin57
08-20-2008, 10:57 PM
what this "club"

The thread title says what club. "Brother" priest...like me?

Johnny Mostil
08-20-2008, 11:07 PM
I've read the column four times now and have no idea what his point is--which I find odd, because usually it's belabored . . .

Nellie_Fox
08-21-2008, 12:54 AM
I think I qualify in five of his categories, but I also have no idea what he's talking about. But, yeah, why single out Sox fans?

Foulke You
08-21-2008, 01:06 AM
I think I qualify in five of his categories, but I also have no idea what he's talking about. But, yeah, why single out Sox fans?
I'm a long time Sun Times subscriber and Andrew Greeley is a diehard Cubs fan and unabashed Sox hater and makes no bones about his hate for our team. Usually he writes his articles on current political topics or religion but in the past, he has written articles dedicated to railing against the White Sox, our fans (or lack thereof in his mind), our ballpark, and everything else. I kept waiting for his sour grapes article after the Sox won it all in 2005 but shockingly he just slinked into the shadows.

Being a Sox hating columnist gives him plenty of company at the Sun Times though. Jay Moronotti, Greg Couch, Carol Slezak, Eliott Harris...sigh...wow..why do I subscribe to this newspaper again?:D: October 27th, 2005 must have been a tough morning for that group to go to work.

hawkjt
08-21-2008, 01:27 AM
That's flat offensive. Where does the Suntimes allow most of their readership to be insulted like that? Beyond the fact that I would guess that a poll of sox fans would be decidedly fed up with the Iraq War,just to lump sox fans in with ''cracker'' and other derogatory descriptions is despicable. I can assure the good father as a anti-war catholic with a son serving in baghdad who will be out at Sox park with me next month when he is back in town on leave,you cannot paint Sox fans with that broad a brush. He should apologize.

TDog
08-21-2008, 02:04 AM
I thought he lived in Tucson.

kittle42
08-21-2008, 02:16 AM
Everyone knows being a Sox fan is on par with being idiotic and anti-American, so I don't know what you are all so upset about.

WhiteSox5187
08-21-2008, 04:09 AM
I thought he lived in Tucson.
He does but he was a parish priest at my parish...regardless of his political views I thought he was a very good priest, he never talks politics when he says Mass as it should be. Nice guy. Shame that he's a Cubs fan.

hose
08-21-2008, 07:43 AM
I think a time out is in order for Mr. Greeley:http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=null-cat280017&rid=&indexId=cat280017&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=0&parentType=index&parentId=cat280017&id=0046986&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=cabelas%20tree%20stand&cm_ite=netcon

DrCrawdad
08-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Here's a link to the cheap shot. (http://www.suntimes.com/news/greeley/1116394,CST-EDT-greel20.article?plckCurrentPage=1&sid=sitelife.suntimes.com)

eriqjaffe
08-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Here's a link to the cheap shot. (http://www.suntimes.com/news/greeley/1116394,CST-EDT-greel20.article?plckCurrentPage=1&sid=sitelife.suntimes.com)Shouldn't the last line of that article have used "all together" instead of "altogether"?

Ah, well, that's what I get for being such a hater, I guess.

Hitmen77
08-21-2008, 09:19 AM
No surprise here. He has slammed Sox fans before. It's a joke that a priest will insult his fellow man based on their sports allegiance.

I'm a long time Sun Times subscriber and Andrew Greeley is a diehard Cubs fan and unabashed Sox hater and makes no bones about his hate for our team. Usually he writes his articles on current political topics or religion but in the past, he has written articles dedicated to railing against the White Sox, our fans (or lack thereof in his mind), our ballpark, and everything else. I kept waiting for his sour grapes article after the Sox won it all in 2005 but shockingly he just slinked into the shadows.

Being a Sox hating columnist gives him plenty of company at the Sun Times though. Jay Moronotti, Greg Couch, Carol Slezak, Eliott Harris...sigh...wow..why do I subscribe to this newspaper again?:D: October 27th, 2005 must have been a tough morning for that group to go to work.

Oh, I'm pretty sure he had an op-ed piece slamming Sox fans after they won the World Series. I'll see if I can find it. I remember reading it - IIRC he was pretty saying that he hates Sox fans and that we are all scumbags. Nice Christian attitude, Father. :rolleyes: I'm glad a man of the cloth doesn't let something as silly as sports drive him to make disparaging blanket judgments against other people. It's WWJD, right?

Hitmen77
08-21-2008, 09:40 AM
It looks like the article is no longer available online unless you pay for it.
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=CSTB&p_theme=cstb&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&s_dispstring=%28greeley%29%20AND%20date%2810/1/2005%20to%2012/1/2005%29&p_field_date-0=YMD_date&p_params_date-0=date:B,E&p_text_date-0=10/1/2005%20to%2012/1/2005%29&p_field_advanced-0=&p_text_advanced-0=%28%22greeley%22%29&xcal_numdocs=20&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&xcal_useweights=no

Here is where it was mentioned on WSI: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60696&page=15

Greeley's op-ed piece published on 10/28/05. So on October 27th, 2005, he did what any good Christian would do when he went to work - he wrote an article for mass circulation slamming the entire Sox fan base as people to be hated.

Viva Medias B's
08-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Fr. Greeley should be ashamed of himself to lump us as White Sox fans into the group he describes. He is insulting many of his fellow Chicago Catholics. Since the White Sox came into existance, it has been the baseball team with which many of Chicago's Catholics identified with.

This is even true for some North Side Catholics, where pockets of White Sox fans live. In the old days, according to Bill Gleason, the Cubs were regarded as the "Protestants' team" while the Sox were the "Catholics' team." Gleason said that Charles Comiskey's Catholicism, as well as the huge Catholic population on the South Side, contributed to this.

Even here at WSI, we have seen an example of this Catholic identification with the White Sox. Several years ago, a "Where did you go to grade school?" thread prompted many responses (perhaps a majority) that listed Catholic grammar schools.

Even though I think this idea might be a fruitless one, do you think we would get results if we expressed our disappointment with Fr. Greeley's comments to the Archdiocese?

Taliesinrk
08-21-2008, 10:12 AM
I believe I'd have a tough time calling this guy 'Father' anything. Furthermore, some of you are saying that associating Sox fans with this group is in poor taste. I'm just short of Nellie in associating with only 4 of those groups, but I don't see a whole lot wrong with a fair amount of those groups.

TommyJohn
08-21-2008, 10:37 AM
No surprise here. He has slammed Sox fans before. It's a joke that a priest will insult his fellow man based on their sports allegiance.

Oh, I'm pretty sure he had an op-ed piece slamming Sox fans after they won the World Series. I'll see if I can find it. I remember reading it - IIRC he was pretty saying that he hates Sox fans and that we are all scumbags. Nice Christian attitude, Father. :rolleyes: I'm glad a man of the cloth doesn't let something as silly as sports drive him to make disparaging blanket judgments against other people. It's WWJD, right?

It looks like the article is no longer available online unless you pay for it.
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=CSTB&p_theme=cstb&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&s_dispstring=%28greeley%29%20AND%20date%2810/1/2005%20to%2012/1/2005%29&p_field_date-0=YMD_date&p_params_date-0=date:B,E&p_text_date-0=10/1/2005%20to%2012/1/2005%29&p_field_advanced-0=&p_text_advanced-0=%28%22greeley%22%29&xcal_numdocs=20&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&xcal_useweights=no

Here is where it was mentioned on WSI: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60696&page=15

Greeley's op-ed piece published on 10/28/05. So on October 27th, 2005, he did what any good Christian would do when he went to work - he wrote an article for mass circulation slamming the entire Sox fan base as people to be hated.

I remember that article, and the response on WSI. You slammed him for it a few times, especially on the "Tomorrow's Cubune headline" thread.

Greeley is an idiot and if he was trying to be tongue-in-cheek, he missed and instead got a foot-in-the-mouth. Anything further that I want to say belongs in PI, so I'll stop there.

rocky biddle
08-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Just one more shining example of the cesspool that is the Scum-Times.

Foulke You
08-21-2008, 11:22 AM

I must have still been in a post World Series daze that day to notice that little man's whiney column. It doesn't surprise me that he did that though. There is almost as much venom from him as Mariotti except with the snottyness turned up to 11. For my own amusement, I would have enjoyed reading that sour grapes article. Hopefully, he'll be able to re-live his nightmare again this October.:cool:

PorkChopExpress
08-21-2008, 11:26 AM
I've read the column four times now and have no idea what his point is--which I find odd, because usually it's belabored . . .

http://www.tubearoo.com/m1/91641/126296_billy_madison_split001_1.jpg
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

SOXPHILE
08-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Wow, it sure is good to see a Catholic priest, a supposed "man of God", refer to people as "crackers" and then malign and ridicule those evil members of veterans organizations, "mountain folk", blue collar workers, white ethnics, etc. I didn't know Dan Bernstein changed his name and became an ordained Catholic priest. Way to live what was taught in the new testament there, Andy. You know, that thingy the Catholic religion is based on ?

I want Mags back
08-21-2008, 12:00 PM
The thread title says what club. "Brother" priest...like me?

ohh, you're a priest. didnt realize. carry on...

Johnny Mostil
08-21-2008, 12:49 PM
http://www.tubearoo.com/m1/91641/126296_billy_madison_split001_1.jpg
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Heh. You have no idea. Thanks for the laugh.:D:

Johnny Mostil
08-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Shouldn't the last line of that article have used "all together" instead of "altogether"?

Good catch! Yes, it should. See, for example, here (http://www.bartleby.com/64/C003/028.html) and here (http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000178.htm).

The WSI Grammar Team: bucking for the National Grammar Rodeo:cool:.

kittle42
08-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Ask yourselves this: If he said the same thing about Cubs fans, would you all be here praising him? I guarantee the answer is a resounding yes for many.

TDog
08-21-2008, 02:28 PM

Even though I think this idea might be a fruitless one, do you think we would get results if we expressed our disappointment with Fr. Greeley's comments to the Archdiocese?

Complaining to the Archdiocese about a joke by this priest (however insulting you may find it) concerning people's allegiance to sports teams indeed might be fruitless. Considering that this priest has written books in which priests have adulterous affairs and violate other Commandments as well as vows, I don't see the Archdiocese really caring. In these times, the Archdiocese probably deals with more egregious offenses against parishioners anyway.

Father Greeley's mention of White Sox fans was a joke -- one that many found unfunny, but a joke nonetheless. Joking about people's sports allegiances is something he does. I was at a writers conference held at the University of Arizona more than a decade ago where he was a speaker. He opened by saying he was looking forward to Stanford's team (it was probably basketball season) coming to Tucson to play so that people could shout out without fear of admonishment, "Kill the Cardinal!"

Taliesinrk
08-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Ask yourselves this: If he said the same thing about Cubs fans, would you all be here praising him? I guarantee the answer is a resounding yes for many.

absolutely not. I'm surprised he can even write "cracker" in the paper

Johnny Mostil
08-21-2008, 03:22 PM

Well, I would still be wondering what his point is . . .

soxwon
08-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Hey i am the ONLY REV. that matters.
From now on Greeley gets all my RANTS in his email.
Im challenging him to a showdown!!!!

whitesoxwilkes
08-21-2008, 03:38 PM

Exactly.

Them: Father Greeley
Us: DA RIGHT REVERAND MAGGSKONERKO

soxwon
08-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Exactly.

Them: Father Greeley
Us: DA RIGHT REVERAND MAGGSKONERKO

i just sent him 6 rants from this year LOL
Wow you remembered my original name cool.

minutia
08-21-2008, 04:17 PM

I want to know whtat is wrong with blue collar workers? This is a pretty offensive quote all the way around.

soxwon
08-21-2008, 04:31 PM
I want to know whtat is wrong with blue collar workers? This is a pretty offensive quote all the way around.

nothing wrong with evangelicals, crackers, or republicans, including blue collar workers.
This guy sucks, i dare him to write about my Rants which i sent him.

hose
08-21-2008, 04:41 PM

You wouldn't stand a chance against Greeley toe to toe.:o:

I can visualize you chucking up green stuff after ten minutes.:D:

soxwon
08-21-2008, 06:30 PM
You wouldn't stand a chance against Greeley toe to toe.:o:

I can visualize you chucking up green stuff after ten minutes.:D:

I'd Impregnate his face with fists so furious he'd have stretch marks on his face.

DrCrawdad
08-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Complaining to the Archdiocese about a joke by this priest (however insulting you may find it) concerning people's allegiance to sports teams indeed might be fruitless. Considering that this priest has written books in which priests have adulterous affairs and violate other Commandments as well as vows, I don't see the Archdiocese really caring. In these times, the Archdiocese probably deals with more egregious offenses against parishioners anyway.

Father Greeley's mention of White Sox fans was a joke -- one that many found unfunny, but a joke nonetheless. Joking about people's sports allegiances is something he does. I was at a writers conference held at the University of Arizona more than a decade ago where he was a speaker. He opened by saying he was looking forward to Stanford's team (it was probably basketball season) coming to Tucson to play so that people could shout out without fear of admonishment, "Kill the Cardinal!"

In 2005 Greeley smeared the Sox and then later said it was a joke but the response from Sox fans confirmed his (smear). So, he smeared and attacked Sox fans then and later tried to back pedal by saying it was a joke that was true.

People have tried to equate Greeley's ugly smears with things written by John Kass about Cubbie fans. No comparison, IMHO. It's very clear to all that Kass is trying to be funny and I don't remember Kass ever being as cruel in his comments about Cubbie fans as Greeley is towards Sox fans.

Viva Medias B's
08-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Watch for subsequent Letters to the Editor in the Sun-Times about this from Catholic Sox fans. No, I have not submitted a letter, but I am sure many Catholic Sox fans will.

Madscout
08-22-2008, 12:01 PM
He says, "Sox fans....and people that say America is not ready for a black president".

Pretty sure that is a contradiction, as...

Sox fan = Obama = person who says America is ready for a black president

= person who's platform is against the Iraq war, which is what the article was supposed to be about.

WSox597
08-22-2008, 06:49 PM
If we were to stoop to his level, there would be altar boy jokes flying around.

But we wouldn't do that. It wouldn't be right to tar an entire profession by using one of its more useless members as an example.

And I only have two fathers. This clown isn't one of them.

DrCrawdad
08-24-2008, 10:03 PM
If we were to stoop to his level, there would be altar boy jokes flying around.

But we wouldn't do that. It wouldn't be right to tar an entire profession by using one of its more useless members as an example.

And I only have two fathers. This clown isn't one of them.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

I am having a discussion about this Greeley matter with a Cubbie fan friend. I asked him the following and have not got an answer:

(Responding to a remark about Sox fans and the "chip" we have our shoulder)

Thinking of the frequently mentioned "chip on the shoulder," perhaps this explains it to a degree too, can you tell me of a single example of a prominent Sox fan columnist (let alone a religious leader) smearing Cubs fans in a similar way? Greeley's now done it twice that I know of...

I'd even amend it, and ask can you tell me of a single example of a prominent Sox fan who has smeared Cub fans in a similar way?