PDA

View Full Version : Who has the worst/best looking uniforms in baseball?

Whitesoxfan23
08-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Despite the fact that I hate them, I would have to say hands down the Twins. Their home uniforms are especially freaking ugly. Especially the white ones. I think the best looking ones are the Whitesox and Rays.

Vienna
08-20-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm assuming we're talking current unis and not best/worst...ever.

I think the worst are the Jays and Padres. When it comes to the Pads, it's those gold road atrocities that make me want to hurl.

The best, well of course, are those that belong to our beloved White Sox, all flavors. This may sound like heresy , but the Cubs road is sharp. Similar to the Dodgers home, but it says "Chicago" so that gets points -- it's clean, balanced, and classic. I like the red as a third color. I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox use red in their jerseys (like the '59 Sox jerseys).

btrain929
08-20-2008, 05:26 PM
I love the Baby Blue Jays jersey.

WhiteSox5187
08-20-2008, 05:41 PM
I love the Baby Blue Jays jersey.
Me too. But I hate their black uniforms. I hate the Mets black uniforms, those are pretty ugly. But when they wear blue (especially on the road, which they've only done once since 1997) they're great. The Yankees have a great uniform. So do the Sox. But really any uniform is made one thousand times better with stirrups.

RKMeibalane
08-20-2008, 05:45 PM
I love the Sox uniforms, as well as the Phillies, Yankees, Dodgers, and Royals.

The "black as the third color" idea needs to go. The Mets look terrible in black, as did the Royals and Reds when they had black in their uniforms.

Adele_H
08-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Despite the fact that I hate them, I would have to say hands down the Twins. Their home uniforms are especially freaking ugly. Especially the white ones. I think the best looking ones are the Whitesox and Rays.

I heard vintage Astros unis from, like, the 70s were breathtaking

Zisk77
08-20-2008, 06:14 PM
I love the Sox uniforms, as well as the Phillies, Yankees, Dodgers, and Royals.

The "black as the third color" idea needs to go. The Mets look terrible in black, as did the Royals and Reds when they had black in their uniforms.

I agree on most teams Black unis being ugly unless black is your main color like the sox.

i hate the A's black unis.

Twins unis are so blah.

Sox, tigers and yanks home unis are classic looking.

I like the rays unis but i also liked last years green rays unis as well.

jays and padres are horrible.

Dbacks are better in red than purple.

Only scrub uni i liked was late 70's aqua pinstripe roadies.:o:

Bucky F. Dent
08-20-2008, 06:28 PM
My favorite uniforms are
Home Sox
Home Dodgers
Home Yanks

rdwj
08-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Best:
Sox
Yanks
Detroit (Home)

Worst:
Cubs
Padres

soxinem1
08-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Pinstripes rule. It should be MLB manditory for the home team.:smile:

doublem23
08-20-2008, 07:02 PM

Not always. :cool:

http://ryanstewart.theworldrace.org/inc-imageresize.asp?path=/blogphotos/theworldrace/ryanstewart/mips119100722_lower.jpg

The Tigers home jerseys really are one of the best, IMO.

Are we talking a team's whole jersey set, or just a jersey-by-jersey basis? Because if its the latter, then we have a loser...

http://www.velcroblog.com/images/nonbraves/larochelol.jpg

:puking:

By and by, the Pirates jerseys are pretty good looking, but this red monstrosity is one of the fugliest things I've ever seen.

soltrain21
08-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Tigers home uniforms are the best in baseball. I love the piping.

Worst belongs to the Blue Jays.

Zisk77
08-20-2008, 07:34 PM

http://ryanstewart.theworldrace.org/inc-imageresize.asp?path=/blogphotos/theworldrace/ryanstewart/mips119100722_lower.jpg

Are we talking a team's whole jersey set, or just a jersey-by-jersey basis? Because if its the latter, then we have a loser...

http://www.velcroblog.com/images/nonbraves/larochelol.jpg

:puking:

By and by, the Pirates jerseys are pretty good looking, but this red monstrosity is one of the fugliest things I've ever seen.

I whole heartedly agree, red has no place on the Pirates uniforms.

However I think Boston should go with a red hat and lettering on the home unis like in the 70's. Its too bland now.

getonbckthr
08-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Worst: Cubs Road its so boring and generic.
Best: Cardinals home.

WHITE SOX PRIDE!
08-20-2008, 08:51 PM
best- white sox pin
worst- min. twins home and cubs away

I want Mags back
08-20-2008, 09:22 PM

really. I find those really plain and boring.

Elephant
08-20-2008, 09:31 PM

Bzzzt. Pinstripes suck.

The best thing the Phillies ever did was ditch the stripes and change to off white. Their unis are pretty sick now.

Eddo144
08-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Best: White Sox (especially the road jerseys with the script "Chicago") and the Tigers (everything, from the Old English "D" on down).
Other candidates: Cubs, Reds (I actually like the black in the Reds' jerseys), Dodgers.

Worst: Rockies, Pirates (red, hideous), Blue Jays, Astros (I've never liked the new star, for some reason).

Johnny Mostil
08-20-2008, 10:18 PM
I heard vintage Astros unis from, like, the 70s were breathtaking

I assume you mean these (http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=nl_1979_houston.gif&Entryid=1380)? There were some ugly unis in those days; I remember the Padres and Pirates having some doozies, and the Phillies having a red ensemble with white trim for one year as well.

I like the Sox unis, although I'm tiring of the black top and white pinstriped pants combination. But, yeah, they did look good in them scoring 15 runs today, didn't they?:cool:

Red Barchetta
08-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Bzzzt. Pinstripes suck.

The best thing the Phillies ever did was ditch the stripes and change to off white. Their unis are pretty sick now.

I thought the off white solid uniforms were their Sunday alternates. They still wear the pinstipes don't they?

D'Sphitz
08-20-2008, 11:39 PM
My favorite has to be the Pirates, and probably always has been. I really like black and gold.

Fun fact: Pittsburgh is the only city to have a color theme (black and gold, duh) shared by all of the major league sports franchises in the city (Pirates, Penguins, Steelers), along with the city's official flag.

Foulke You
08-20-2008, 11:54 PM
My favorite has to be the Pirates, and probably always has been. I really like black and gold.

Fun fact: Pittsburgh is the only city to have a color theme (black and gold, duh) shared by all of the major league sports franchises in the city (Pirates, Penguins, Steelers), along with the city's official flag.
I have more AL favorites than NL favorites for jerseys but I agree that the Pirates home white unis are the best in that league. Very sharp. The red Pirates alt top is horrific though.
However, it isn't the only alt jersey in MLB that is bad. The all red one that Boston uses is awful, the "priest" black vest with black shirt that the Rockies use, and for me, the worst alt jersey in baseball belongs to the lovable losers. The all blue Cubs jersey with the cutsie pie little rat running through the C is my vote for most horrible alt though. It looks like a pajama top that a pre-schooler might wear. Why they don't wear their home white pinstripes more is beyond me. They retired the blue alts last year and then brought them back for this season. The blue and red are ridiculously over saturated in the jersey and the logo is so "pwecious":

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/baseball/mlb/img7416181.jpg

doublem23
08-21-2008, 12:25 AM
really. I find those really plain and boring.

I find it classic.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=AL&city=Detroit&lowYear=1934&highYear=2008&sort=year&increment=9&=Display+uniforms

:cool:

Foulke You
08-21-2008, 12:43 AM
I find it classic.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=AL&city=Detroit&lowYear=1934&highYear=2008&sort=year&increment=9&=Display+uniforms

I also like the Tigers home whites quite a bit. Really when you think about it, outside of the pinstripes, the home Tigers and home White Sox jerseys are very similar. They are both white with dark colors and trim with "Old English" font on the hat and chest.

soxpride724
08-21-2008, 08:07 AM
I find it classic.

Wow, talk about consistency!

kraut83
08-21-2008, 08:12 AM
The Tigers home whites are my favorite, followed by the Dodgers home and the Sox home.

I don't like pinstripes on road grays (Twins, Rockies). IMO, it looks kind of stupid.

I absolutely hate the Nationals uniforms. The hats are okay, but the rest of the uni looks like it was put together in photoshop or something.

doublem23
08-21-2008, 08:23 AM
I absolutely hate the Nationals uniforms. The hats are okay, but the rest of the uni looks like it was put together in photoshop or something.

I agree, along with the Diamondbacks and Blue Jays, the Nats are the only team I'd say have truly ugly jerseys.

I don't know how many people here read Uni-Watch or Paul Lukas's Page 2 column on ESPN.com, but when the Expos moved to Washington, he sponsored a contest in which readers submitted their own designs for what would become the Nationals. Way, way better. My personal favorite was this (http://espn.go.com/i/magazine/new/uni_monuments.jpg).

MrRoboto83
08-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Twins have the best away uniforms, I love the grey with the pinstripes.

Railsplitter
08-21-2008, 10:04 AM
I've always liked the the Tiger's home uniform. I think the Sox' regular home Uunifrom shoul be a "negative" of the black alternate.

Save McCuddy's
08-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Love our Sunday home blacks. Love the Dodgers home whites.

Can do without the Rangers Greys. Stupid logo patch.

twentywontowin
08-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Best: White Sox home, Cubs home, Yankees home, Detroit home

Worst: Cubs alternate, any Pirates jersey

turners56
08-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Best - Sox black alternates, Sox home sleeveless, A's black alternate, Royals black alternate, D'backs black alternate.

Worst - Twins away, Indians (beige throwback), Mets (home pinstripes),

soxpride724
08-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Best: White Sox Home, Cleveland Alternate and Yankees Home

Worst: Pittsburg Red Alternate, Twins Home and Cubs Alternate

palehozenychicty
08-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Best: Yankees home, Good Guys Home/Away, Orioles Home, Dodgers Home/Away, Marlins All-Teal Cap (Wish they went back to it)
Worst: The Camouflage Padres Jersey has to be one of the most hideous fabrics ever put on man. It makes the old Nuggets technicolor jersey look good. The Cubs Alternates do look like a Fisher-Price Jersey. The Rockies uniform package sucks too.

Oblong
08-21-2008, 12:00 PM
A little bit of trivia...

The olde English D on the Tiger hat is different from the one on the home jersey. I didn't know that until a few years ago. I just never thought about it.

I really like the Giants home uniforms. I like the slightly faded look.

doublem23
08-21-2008, 12:07 PM
A little bit of trivia...

The olde English D on the Tiger hat is different from the one on the home jersey. I didn't know that until a few years ago. I just never thought about it.

I'll be damned. :o:

Jersey D:
http://umtailgate.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/DetroitTigersD.jpg

Hat D:
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj175/dingeylp/detroit-tigers-d.jpg

That is literally one of the coolest things ever.

FedEx227
08-21-2008, 12:39 PM

That is literally one of the coolest things ever.

Didn't know that either. Wow, that's awesome.

I want Mags back
08-21-2008, 01:01 PM

Jersey D:
http://umtailgate.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/DetroitTigersD.jpg

Hat D:
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj175/dingeylp/detroit-tigers-d.jpg

Wow. now that i've seen them side by side, the jersey D is really goofy looking. Never realized how different the 2 were.

hi im skot
08-21-2008, 02:44 PM
The Detroit road jerseys are sharp.

johnnyg83
08-22-2008, 04:41 PM
I tend to hate black alternates even the Sox blacks are just OK to me: among the worst:

*Mets black (ditch the black -- blue & orange is great)
*Marlins black (they really should go with a Miami-based color scheme -- dolphins scheme maybe?)
*A's black (green and yellow is great ... why black?)

*Twins away (pinstripes on away unis -- awful idea!)
*Nationals (home and away: wordmark is too busy -- numbers too big)
*Cubs alts. (need stripes or piping ... look too spring training)
*Rockies black vests (look feminine)

Best

Sox away greys
Tigers home
Dodgers home
Giants home
Cards home

russ99
08-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Best: White Sox (especially the road jerseys with the script "Chicago") and the Tigers (everything, from the Old English "D" on down).
Other candidates: Cubs, Reds (I actually like the black in the Reds' jerseys), Dodgers.

Worst: Rockies, Pirates (red, hideous), Blue Jays, Astros (I've never liked the new star, for some reason).

Best: Sox, Yankees, Red Sox road greys, Giants, Tigers, A's all-green thirds, Braves, Cardinals.

Worst: D-backs: "D-Backs" really?, Mets black, Pirates red, Rays (I like their previous ones a lot better), Twins, Blue Jays (though I love the throwbacks)

The Astros are non-commital and pretty much a Yankees rip-off. I don't like the newer red incomplete star, but I loved the old gold/navy futristic open star from about 8-10 years ago. They've always had crazy uniforms, which is why I'm disapponted in their bland ones now, especially with the move from orange to brick red.

Elephant
08-22-2008, 07:14 PM
AL: Tigers, Yankees, Royals (bring black the blue road uniforms)
NL: Giants, Cardinals, Dodgers, Phillies

Ours are better than average. The away ones I'd rank excellent. The home ones are hurt a little by resembling the Yankees too much.

PKalltheway
08-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Best:
White Sox
Pirates (without the Red alternate)
Reds home
Tigers
Yankees
Giants (they should never put the name on the back of their home jersey ever again IMHO)
Cardinals

Worst:
Blue Jays (throwbacks are cool though)
Padres road jerseys
Diamonbacks home jerseys (road jerseys look ok though)
Astros
Pirates red alternate (looks like something someone should wear at a fast food drive-thru rather than on a ballfield)
Nationals (hats are cool, but the jerseys are wayyyy too bland)
Rockies black vests
Cubs blue alternates (my Dad is a die-hard Cub fan and he even hates those)