PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that Wise will "need" (ahem) to go to the DL?

White City
08-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Wise left with an injury today.

What if they want to bring back Linebrink or Crede before Aug. 31 but keep Wise without waiving him (and also keeping him as an option for the playoff rosters)?

What if they want to bring up another pitcher like Broadway in case he turns light out and we'd want him as a playoff roster option?

Do you think Wise's inury today might be seen as an opportunity to DL him and get another player into the playoff mix?

How many games would Wise really play in between now and Sept. 1, anyway? Probably wouldn't hurt the team to have him unavailable for the next 11 days. You'd assume he would be on the expanded roster under any scenario.

It's not particularly ethical, assuming his injury isn't all that significant. But it wouldn't be the first time a major-league team gamed the playoff rosters, either.

turners56
08-20-2008, 05:01 PM

What if they want to bring back Linebrink or Crede before Aug. 31 but keep Wise without waiving him (and also keeping him as an option for the playoff rosters).

What if they want to bring up another pitcher like Broadway in case he turns light out and we'd want him as a playoff roster option?

Do you think Wise's inury today might be seen as an opportunity to DL him and get another player into the playoff mix?

How many games would Wise really play in between now and Sept. 1, anyway? Probably wouldn't hurt the team to have him unavailable for the next 11 days. You'd assume he would be on the expanded roster under any scenario.

It's not particularly ethical, assuming his injury isn't all that significant. But it wouldn't be the first time a major-league team gamed the playoff rosters, either.

We really don't need 3 extra outfielders (Griffey, Anderson, Wise). Two is more than enough. I say put Wise on the DL and have both Broadway and Richard on the team until rosters expand.

palehozenychicty
08-20-2008, 05:04 PM
I think Griffey and Anderson is enough for the outfield. Anderson has played well enough in a limited role to start 2-4 times a week anyway.

White City
08-20-2008, 05:06 PM
I think Griffey and Anderson is enough for the outfield. Anderson has played well enough in a limited role to start 2-4 times a week anyway.

Sure. But having Wise on the DL would give us the option -- doesn't mean we have to use it -- of adding Wise to the playoff roster for a particular series. He could be of use as a PR, especially against an NL team.

UofCSoxFan
08-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Thing is I think Wise may very well be needed come playoff time, much more so than now. We likely will need less pitching in the playoffs and a pinch runner of the bench coulde be vital (see. Willie Harris in 2005 or Dave Roberts in 2004).

UofCSoxFan
08-20-2008, 05:11 PM

What if they want to bring back Linebrink or Crede before Aug. 31 but keep Wise without waiving him (and also keeping him as an option for the playoff rosters)?

I mean it certainly would be "convenient" for him to be injured now and return just in time for the playoff push. Still I don't really buy the conspiracy theory and here's why:

I got to think that the league closely examines these transactions b/c of the obvious opportunity to abuse the system. The fines/other penalties/rep damage if caught probalby aren't worth it.

The union would throw a fit if a player was DL'd to gain an extra roster spot, even if Wise is still paid.

If Linebrink came back and we wanted to keep Wise, we could send Adam Russell down just as easily.

If Crede came back you could send Getz down.

I just don't see this huge conspiracy because we'd have other options to keep Wise without risking a huge backlash from the league or union.

Tragg
08-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Other than pinch running (which i've never seen to do), I'm not sure why Wise is on this team, much less starts games. He hits poorly and his fielding is mediocre. The Sox have players that can get around the bases.

doublem23
08-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Groin muscle strain.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280820104

2nd nugget in the Game Notes at the bottom of the page.

UofCSoxFan
08-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Other than pinch running (which i've never seen to do), I'm not sure why Wise is on this team, much less starts games. He hits poorly and his fielding is mediocre. The Sox have players that can get around the bases.

I'm not sure why you havent seen Wise pinch run...since he's done it multiple times this year. He is currently 1 of 2 people on this team that can steal bases when the other pitcher is paying attention. That being said, I think he needs to be on the playoff roster.

I see the 25 man breaking down as follows:

4 Starters:
Danks, MB, Floyd, Vazquez

9 Starting Position Players
Dye, Swisher, TCQ, Crede, OC, TCM, Konerko, AJ, Thome

5 Bench
Uribe, Griffey, Anderson, Wise, Hall

7 Bullpen
Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink, Thorton, Ramierez, Carrasco, Richard

I think you could make the argument for an extra arm in the pen but I really don't think you'd need it in the ALDS.

PS, I really hope I'm not leaving out someone obvious.

DickAllen72
08-20-2008, 05:54 PM
I think Crede "needs" (ahem) to stay on the DL until September 1st.

hawkjt
08-20-2008, 06:00 PM

He hits poorly? Right now...Alexei leads the team in hitting wth JD second at .298 and Wise third at .297
Not that poor.

It's Dankerific
08-20-2008, 06:16 PM
He hits poorly? Right now...Alexei leads the team in hitting wth JD second at .298 and Wise third at .297
Not that poor.

Wise, post all-star break:

.208 avg .240 OBP .292 Slugging. Not including today's 0-2

doublem23
08-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Not that poor.

64 at-bats... 1 hit would swing his BA 16 points.

UofCSoxFan
08-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Again, Wise won't be used in the playoffs to pinch hit. He will hold value in the ability to steal a base. Why do people think Wille Harris was on the 2005 playoff roster?

It's Dankerific
08-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Again, Wise won't be used in the playoffs to pinch hit. He will hold value in the ability to steal a base. Why do people think Wille Harris was on the 2005 playoff roster?

I think we just see that Wise isn't used as a pinch runner in a pennant race, so why would he be used in the playoffs. No one is saying he SHOULDNT be used as a PR to steal an important base, like harris and dave roberts.

08-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Pulled groin muscle. So he probably wouldn't be stealing any bases for the next few games anyways, unless it's really minor and he's a quick healer.

They may make a roster move Friday, this is not the time to be playing down a man, again assuming Wise isn't healthy.

Brian26
08-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Again, Wise won't be used in the playoffs to pinch hit.

Never under-estimate Ozzie's unique brand of wisdom.

Of course, I never thought Geoff Blum would pinch hit in the World Series either.

WhiteSoxBlog
08-20-2008, 07:38 PM
well, that seems convenient to ME because I was all up for sending Wise down as soon as we acquired Griffey, but they don't seem to want to part with him, so they probably wouldn't unless he really NEEDED to.

FedEx227
08-20-2008, 07:39 PM

Dugout commentary.

hoosiersoxfan
08-20-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm not sure why you havent seen Wise pinch run...since he's done it multiple times this year. He is currently 1 of 2 people on this team that can steal bases when the other pitcher is paying attention. That being said, I think he needs to be on the playoff roster.

I see the 25 man breaking down as follows:

4 Starters:
Danks, MB, Floyd, Vazquez

9 Starting Position Players
Dye, Swisher, TCQ, Crede, OC, TCM, Konerko, AJ, Thome

5 Bench
Uribe, Griffey, Anderson, Wise, Hall

7 Bullpen
Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink, Thorton, Ramierez, Carrasco, Richard

I think you could make the argument for an extra arm in the pen but I really don't think you'd need it in the ALDS.

PS, I really hope I'm not leaving out someone obvious.

Looks pretty good to me except I can see Russell getting the last spot in the pen rather than Richard

UofCSoxFan
08-20-2008, 07:51 PM
I think we just see that Wise isn't used as a pinch runner in a pennant race, so why would he be used in the playoffs. No one is saying he SHOULDNT be used as a PR to steal an important base, like harris and dave roberts.

See I beg to differ that he isn't used as a pinch runner. I mean in the past week, when we've clubbing teams by 8 runs you don't see him get on and steal a bag, but there have been multiple times where he has.

You also need to keep in mind that you manage your roster differently in the playoffs than the regular season. I just think in a 5 game series, you don't need 12 pitchers and it would be better to have the option of pinch running for Griffey or Konerko in a tie game with 2 outs and you need a stolen base.

soxinem1
08-20-2008, 08:02 PM
We really don't need 3 extra outfielders (Griffey, Anderson, Wise). Two is more than enough. I say put Wise on the DL and have both Broadway and Richard on the team until rosters expand.

Right on target. It's only eleven days from expansion time anyway.

Daver
08-20-2008, 08:06 PM
I haven't figured out why Wise is still on the active roster.

BadBobbyJenks
08-20-2008, 08:09 PM

I think he is because he kind of looks like Willie Harris.

Tragg
08-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Not that poor.Oh yes he is.
That .297 was due to 1 week in June when he went 8/16. Otherwise, he's around .220 this year. His Career OBP is .252.
He's worse than poor.
It's incredible that he actually starts games.

gf2020
08-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Sun times online says he's likely to go on the DL. Jerry Owens time?

Daver
08-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Jerry Owens time?

Why?

Hitmen77
08-20-2008, 09:31 PM

I'm guessing it's Lance Broadway time.

But, maybe not since he's not eligible to come back up until Aug. 24

gf2020
08-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Why?
Well, at least in the continuation game, we'll need an extra bench player due to people being unavailable. Plus, I believe it would make him eligible for the post season roster and I'd like to have the option of having him on the team as a pinch runner, especially if Wise never fully heals or something were to happen to BA.

Daver
08-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Well, at least in the continuation game, we'll need an extra bench player due to people being unavailable. Plus, I believe it would make him eligible for the post season roster and I'd like to have the option of having him on the team as a pinch runner, especially if Wise never fully heals or something were to happen to BA.

What's wrong with using Getz as a pinch runner?

Jerry Owens really isn't very good at playing baseball, and the Sox already have two extra outfielders without Wise.

UofCSoxFan
08-20-2008, 09:37 PM

I think it's pretty simple. He's out of options. If they don't want him on the major league team he'll be snatched up by another team....he's shown enough for another team to want him and the Sox obviously don't want to lose one of their two basestealing threats. I think if he had any options left, he would have been sent down long ago.

jcw218
08-20-2008, 09:53 PM

I'm guessing it's Lance Broadway time.

But, maybe not since he's not eligible to come back up until Aug. 24

If Wise does end up on the DL, Broadway can get recalled. There is no time limit on injury replacements and it does not have to be the same type of player that gets recalled.

08-20-2008, 10:04 PM
If Wise does end up on the DL, Broadway can get recalled. There is no time limit on injury replacements and it does not have to be the same type of player that gets recalled.

I understand it differently, but either way, there are other factors in play here.

Broadway pitched last night (Wed. 8/19) so he wouldn't be available until Monday anyways.

So, it doesn't make any sense to call up a guy for an immediate need this weekend who can't help.

Assuming Wise is DL'd, I find it highly unlikely Ozzie will want to play a man short vs. Tampa. The guy who profiles the best in Wise's role is Owens. Doesn't matter what we think of him, it matters what Guillen will do. If he feels he needs a legit stolen base threat, Owens is the guy. They can always send him back down on Monday if they feel they need Broadway, especially with the suspended game coming up where they might need another arm.

Or, Ozzie may decide to bring up a 12th arm for this weekend vs. Tampa. If so, the candidates on the 40 man are guys he's seen before, namely Logan, Wasserman, MacDougal. If they dig deeper, they need to move a DL guy to the 60 day (Contreras likely), clear a spot, and add someone. Maybe Poreda or maybe KW has something cooking.

I think they will recall Owens. Ozzie seems to feel a pinch runner stolen base threat is necessary. You can use Getz to pinch run, but they usually pinch run for Konerko, which means you lose an OF because Swisher moves to 1B and you've burned your only utility IF.

Daver
08-20-2008, 10:13 PM
I think it's pretty simple. He's out of options. If they don't want him on the major league team he'll be snatched up by another team....he's shown enough for another team to want him and the Sox obviously don't want to lose one of their two basestealing threats. I think if he had any options left, he would have been sent down long ago.

They wouldn't be losing much.

Noneck
08-20-2008, 10:40 PM
If they don't want him on the major league team he'll be snatched up by another team.

I don't see any team going in the stretch drive wanting Wise and fore sure no team looking to the future.

Mohoney
08-20-2008, 11:19 PM

He already cleared waivers once. Can't he be sent outright to AAA if they wanted, or does he have to be waived again?

JB98
08-20-2008, 11:57 PM
If Jerry Owens gets recalled, that would be ridiculous. He's worthless. I never want to see him in a Sox uniform again.

If Wise needs to go on the DL, call up a 12th pitcher or a sixth infielder. We don't need any more outfielders.

Anderson and Wise have been getting limited playing time as it is.

WhiteSoxBlog
08-21-2008, 12:17 AM
If Jerry Owens gets recalled, that would be ridiculous. He's worthless. I never want to see him in a Sox uniform again.

If Wise needs to go on the DL, call up a 12th pitcher or a sixth infielder. We don't need any more outfielders.

Anderson and Wise have been getting limited playing time as it is.
I agree. Everyone seems to forget that before Griffey came along (which is most of the season), we had one less OF/bench player, and one extra pitcher. Not just that, but before Konerko went on the DL (minus some time when Uribe was gone), Anderson was the only alternative and things were just fine.

hawkjt
08-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Geez, the venom toward wise and owens on here seems personal.
I know, there is venom toward uribe,PK, and toby among others thruout the year.
Guess it is the nature of the fan beast.:D:

It's Dankerific
08-21-2008, 02:48 AM
Geez, the venom toward wise and owens on here seems personal.
I know, there is venom toward uribe,PK, and toby among others thruout the year.
Guess it is the nature of the fan beast.:D:

I have no problem with the man collecting some checks while on the DL. thats not venom =)

08-21-2008, 10:15 AM
I agree. Everyone seems to forget that before Griffey came along (which is most of the season), we had one less OF/bench player, and one extra pitcher. Not just that, but before Konerko went on the DL (minus some time when Uribe was gone), Anderson was the only alternative and things were just fine.

This is true. But there's still an issue and that is, which pitcher do you call up and why? The relievers they have in the minors on the 40 man have all struggled, either here or in Charlotte. Referring to Logan, MacDougal, Wassermann, Dewon Day. I'm not sure what those guys offer, even in garbage time, with the possible exception of Wassermann.

I am not a big fan of Jerry Owens but I think this is what they'll do, through Monday. As stated above, Broadway is unavailable until Monday anyways, which is just in time for the Tuesday "double header" in Baltimore. If they feel they need an extra arm at that point, swap out Owens for Broadway.

There is no reason to play one position player down this weekend. These will be tough games and they may need a pinch runner. I am not adverse to bringing in an extra arm but I would like it to be someone other than Logan, MacDougal, Wassermann, or Day. But I doubt anyone is available from the outside. If they have someone they want to add to the 40 man from within the organization, great, I'm all for it.

oeo
08-21-2008, 10:21 AM

1)He's been pretty damn good for us off the bench. You can't argue with that.
2)You never know what happens in September. What if we have a slew of injuries in the outfield? Do you want your boy Owens starting Game 1 of the ALDS?

Wise will probably be going to the DL, and it will be nice to have that insurance if things were to go wrong in September.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-21-2008, 11:01 AM
If anyone was to be called up, I wish the Sox would give Jason Childers a shot out of the pen. He's done a good job down in Charlotte: 1.15 ERA 57 K's 13 BB 15 SV in 55 IP. While I realize that's only Triple-A, he couldn't do any worse than Wassermann, MacDougal, or Logan.