PDA

View Full Version : *Official* That was kind of awesome 08/20 postgame thread

hi im skot
08-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Discuss!

spawn
08-20-2008, 03:39 PM
TCQ didn't get a hit today. He ****ing sucks!

veeter
08-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Keep stacking up the wins. I think they're primed for Tampa Bay.

aryzner
08-20-2008, 03:40 PM
That was quite the ass kicking. And without Dye and Thome in the lineup.

Mr.1Dog
08-20-2008, 03:41 PM
:sweep:winner

palehozenychicty
08-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Well, that was a wrap from the start. :D:

SouthSideSid
08-20-2008, 03:43 PM
When this team hits like they are capable - no team in baseball can touch them.

Vienna
08-20-2008, 03:43 PM
TCQ didn't get a hit today. He ****ing sucks!

Clearly, he must be off the PEDs now.

Nice win. Great to sweep a team you're supposed to beat. Let's keep it going.

kidmccarthy
08-20-2008, 03:44 PM
How dare they not score in the last two innings! Great sweep considering the pitchers were the Mariners best and we kicked their butts.

BringBackBlkJack
08-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Everyone who played scored a run except Wise, who was taken out early with a leg injury. Mercy!

Frankie5Angels
08-20-2008, 03:45 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now it's time to send a message to a possible playoff team!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bandance::bandance:

SoxSpeed22
08-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Very convincing sweep. The Mariners were useless in Minnesota, and they were useless here. Gavin continues to impress this year. The offense got things rolling against a bad pitcher. Nice sweep. Now, let's kick some Ray ass, or fins.

downstairs
08-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Outscoring 48-10 in this 5-game winning streak.

munchman33
08-20-2008, 03:47 PM
More of this, please.

turners56
08-20-2008, 03:47 PM
I thought Dickey would give us a bunch of problems considering we're a team with big sluggers with big swings. But I guess not. This team is just pumping on all cylinders right now on offense.

This next Rays series will really give our offense a true test as to how well we can hit against the good teams with good pitching. We did hit the Red Sox well, but the Rays are a better team with slightly better pitching.

Gavin's been really mediocre in his past 12 or so starts. He might be 13-6, but his ERA is near 4 and I really don't enjoy watching him pitch at all anymore. My mindset is kinda like, "okay Gavin, get your 6 innings in and hit the showers." To put it in a nut shell, he's regressing (that was expected to happen, right?). Danks on the other hand, is actually getting a bit better...

20 games over .500, this team is playing its best ball since that 7 game winning streak back in late June.

Sox83Kid
08-20-2008, 03:49 PM
So many homers in this series! Will there be any fireworks left at U.S. Cellular for the weekend? :tongue:

popilius
Another good win- now let's continue with TB!

:gulp:

turners56
And oh yeah, welcome to the home run club Junior.

Did you guys see what he did after he got into the dugout? :rolling::rolling:

This team is so entertaining in blowouts with their off the field antics.

October26
08-20-2008, 03:50 PM
What a great series! This was so much fun. Enjoy the day off tomorrow, fellas and come back on Friday ready to play. :bandance:

TDog
08-20-2008, 03:50 PM
No Dye. No Thome. No (hits by) Quentin.

No problem.

A great win today. A great sweep.

Keep the wins coming.

beasly213
08-20-2008, 03:51 PM
And oh yeah, welcome to the home run club Junior.

Did you guys see what he did after he got into the dugout? :rolling::rolling:

This team is so entertaining in blowouts with their off the field antics.

I missed it what did he do?

voodoochile
Sweet victory... or is it :sweepvictory?

Either way, got a day off and then some to relax and get ready for a stronger test. Would love to see Baltimore actually show some stones tonight and hand Boston a loss, but so long as they roll over for us next week too, I got no complaints.

4 HR, none by guys named TCQ, Dye or Thome... Sounds like a plan. Time to go on a tear...

:winner

:supernana:

:)

:moonwalk:

turners56
I missed it what did he do?

He ran into the tunnel as quickly as possible so they wouldn't mug him or do the jump celebration.

Navarro's Talent
I thought Dickey would give us a bunch of problems considering we're a team with big sluggers with big swings. But I guess not. This team is just pumping on all cylinders right now on offense.

This next Rays series will really give our offense a true test as to how well we can hit against the good teams with good pitching. We did hit the Red Sox well, but the Rays are a better team with slightly better pitching.

Gavin's been really mediocre in his past 12 or so starts. He might be 13-6, but his ERA is near 4 and I really don't enjoy watching him pitch at all anymore. My mindset is kinda like, "okay Gavin, get your 6 innings in and hit the showers." To put it in a nut shell, he's regressing (that was expected to happen, right?). Danks on the other hand, is actually getting a bit better...

20 games over .500, this team is playing its best ball since that 7 game winning streak back in late June.

Gavin's also had some huge wins for us in Minny and Detroit lately when the other starters were scuffling.

Great game today, by the way! :bandance:

soxpride724
08-20-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm loving this offensive explosion! I hope the bats can stay hot for the remainder of the stretch!:gulp:

turners56
08-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Gavin's also had some huge wins for us in Minny and Detroit lately when the other starters were scuffling.

Great game today, by the way! :bandance:

He's pitched very mediocre against the Tigers recently. The only great start he had was in Minnesota and that was huge, I'll give him that. Unfortunately, I didn't watch that game.

chisoxmike
08-20-2008, 03:56 PM
The past two-three weeks it seems like everything is clicking for this team. They aren't winning games 10-7, 9-8. But rather 15-3, 9-0, 2-1. That's a good sign. Keep it up boys... :bandance:

thomas35forever
08-20-2008, 03:58 PM
This club is playing awesome on both ends right now. Let's see what we can do against a likely playoff opponent. Oh, and to the Mariners:
:bart

spawn
08-20-2008, 03:59 PM
He's pitched very mediocre against the Tigers recently. The only great start he had was in Minnesota and that was huge, I'll give him that. Unfortunately, I didn't watch that game.
He pitched well in Minny, his last start in Oakland was pretty damn good as well, along with this start. Besides, the guy does have 13 wins, which is more than most on this board predicted. Besides, he's been more consistent than both MB and Javy, so I'm not going to complain.

BadBobbyJenks
08-20-2008, 04:00 PM
This is an email I got from my uncle from Minnesota,
"Looking at the two games today, I think the only conclusion you can draw is that the Twins played the smarter game - a quick, efficient win done with the minimum amount of effort required. Meanwhile, the White Sox are scoring way too many runs. This late in the season hitting all those home runs will give them tired arms, and running around the bases so many times and getting those extra at bats will wear everyone out. Plus, you have to admit, there is something show-offy and poor sportsman-like about the White Sox getting so many runs when just 5 or 6 would have done the trick."

I think that was a funny way of saying he is very worried.

palehozenychicty
He pitched well in Minny, his last start in Oakland was pretty damn good as well, along with this start. Besides, the guy does have 13 wins, which is more than most on this board predicted. Besides, he's been more consistent than bot MB and Javy, so I'm not going to complain.

I can't really hate on Gavin neither because people were pissing their pants at him being in the rotation. I want to see the number of hands who penciled him in for 13 wins this year.

Blueprint1
That was Awesome. :)

SOXBOY
08-20-2008, 04:01 PM

Come on Floyd has guted out a few wins and has been a pretty good pitcher this year. A couple of times he pitched well and all he got was a ND.(Fri in Oakland)

BadBobbyJenks
08-20-2008, 04:03 PM
I can't really hate on Gavin neither because people were pissing their pants at him being in the rotation. I want to see the number of hands who penciled him in for 13 wins this year.

I drafted him in the last round for fantasy, that has to count, right?

Hitmen77
08-20-2008, 04:03 PM
He pitched well in Minny, his last start in Oakland was pretty damn good as well, along with this start. Besides, the guy does have 13 wins, which is more than most on this board predicted. Besides, he's been more consistent than bot MB and Javy, so I'm not going to complain.

Nope. He sucks. He's not outstanding, so I just can't stand watching him.

Tragg
08-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Despite the fact that so many wanted to dump Floyd after one start last year (what else is new) he's pitched well this year, just like he did in 2/3 of his outings last year.

JGarlandrules20
08-20-2008, 04:08 PM
We've surpassed our 2007 win total. That feels good. Way to bounce back from that horrible season, Sox. :smile:

BadBobbyJenks
08-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Despite the fact that so many wanted to dump Floyd after one start last year (what else is new) he's pitched well this year, just like he did in 2/3 of his outings last year.

Yep, I was very encouraged by his performance in September last year.

chisoxmike
08-20-2008, 04:10 PM
"Looking at the two games today, I think the only conclusion you can draw is that the Twins played the smarter game - a quick, efficient win done with the minimum amount of effort required. Meanwhile, the White Sox are scoring way too many runs. This late in the season hitting all those home runs will give them tired arms, and running around the bases so many times and getting those extra at bats will wear everyone out. Plus, you have to admit, there is something show-offy and poor sportsman-like about the White Sox getting so many runs when just 5 or 6 would have done the trick."

Is your uncle Timberwolf? :rolling:

Lundind1
08-20-2008, 04:10 PM
I have to say, way to come out of the starting blocks fast. The three runs that were given up are just one of those things. I think that Floyd pitched pretty decent. I am not going to give him a great one but this Mariners Team can score runs as well, but they have no pitching to speak of.

One more down. Now time to prepare for TB.

IronFisk
08-20-2008, 04:13 PM

That's it - I think I've heard it all.

voodoochile
08-20-2008, 04:15 PM
I have to say, way to come out of the starting blocks fast. The three runs that were given up are just one of those things. I think that Floyd pitched pretty decent. I am not going to give him a great one but this Mariners Team can score runs as well, but they have no pitching to speak of.

One more down. Now time to prepare for TB.

You pitch differently with a 10 run lead than a 2 run lead. Floyd was just throwing strikes to keep the line moving. Glad he had an easy victory and didn't have to stress his arm at all.

arKnaD7
08-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Swisher: 3 straight games with a HR

Alexei: 3 out of 4 with a HR

Team: 14 HRs in last 4 games

Let's keep it up against a good team

Frontman
08-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Excellent birthday present for both my wife and me. Thank you Sox and THANK YOU GRIFF!!!!

Frontman
08-20-2008, 04:21 PM

Where's the AFLAC duck from the Yoggi commercial when you really need him?

Too many runs? It's not like they were laying down bunts and stealing with a 10 run lead. Yikes.

turners56
08-20-2008, 04:24 PM

Even Timberwolf is not that stupid.

turners56
08-20-2008, 04:25 PM

Too many runs? It's not like they were laying down bunts and stealing with a 10 run lead. Yikes.

"And they'll give you cash, which is just as good as money!"

PennStater98r
08-20-2008, 04:26 PM
My fantasy baseball team has Swisher, Griffey AND Ramirez - woot!

Good day for the Indiana Jones.

Line-up for a 14 team league with 4 OF spots on every team:

C - Mauer
1B - Morneau
2B - Upton
3B - Cabrera
SS - Reyes
OF - Berkman
OF - Griffey
OF - Swisher
OF - A. Ramirez
Util - D. Young
Bench - C. Davis
Bench - Francisco
Bench - Keppinger
DL - Hafner

delben91
08-20-2008, 04:27 PM

None of these wins count anyway though, right? I thought until it was a 7 game winning streak the wins didn't count? The streak is only at 5 so really the Sox are only truly 15 over .500, correct?

Or am I mis-understanding your theories?

GAsoxfan
08-20-2008, 04:28 PM
It looks like Konerko is finally heating up. It's a small sample size, but he's batting .302 with a .467 OBP in August.

turners56
08-20-2008, 04:29 PM
My fantasy baseball team has Swisher, Griffey AND Ramirez - woot!

Good day for the Indiana Jones.

Line-up for a 14 team league with 4 OF spots on every team:

C - Mauer
1B - Morneau
2B - Upton
3B - Cabrera
SS - Reyes
OF - Berkman
OF - Griffey
OF - Swisher
OF - A. Ramirez
Util - D. Young
Bench - C. Davis
Bench - Francisco
Bench - Keppinger
DL - Hafner

Ramirez's utility really helps in fantasy doesn't it?

doublem23
08-20-2008, 04:29 PM
How will the Sox win if they just keep hitting home runs!?

turners56
08-20-2008, 04:30 PM
None of these wins count anyway though, right? I thought until it was a 7 game winning streak the wins didn't count? The streak is only at 5 so really the Sox are only truly 15 over .500, correct?

Or am I mis-understanding your theories?

I said this team is playing great baseball, the best baseball this team has played since we swept the Cubs and Indians at home. What's wrong with that?

turners56
08-20-2008, 04:30 PM
How will the Sox win if they just keep hitting home runs!?

We wasted all of our strength on this series, we'll score like 5 runs against the Rays, it's inevitable.

thomas35forever
08-20-2008, 04:33 PM
We wasted all of our strength on this series, we'll score like 5 runs against the Rays, it's inevitable.
:darkclouds:

markopat
08-20-2008, 04:56 PM
WOW...I love when the bats come out! Let's go SOX!

Hitmen77
08-20-2008, 04:58 PM

I'm assuming he was saying this tongue in cheek.

Adele_H
08-20-2008, 05:40 PM
Discuss!

Another reminder why Griffey trade was a good one. All of the sudden Thome goes down for whatever reason - and it's not the end of the world.

Floyd was sharp - other than failing to put away a coupla people with 2 strikes on them in the 1st, a little inexperience showing - continuing the streak of solid pitching performances which have rendered the Contreras injury, dare I say, non-critical?

I'd rather Twins go to the playoffs than the Red Sox or Yankees, so good for them winning against Oakland.

Soxman219
08-20-2008, 05:58 PM
The Sox didn't score in the last two innings, fire Greg Walker.

Keep it up guys!!!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

KyWhiSoxFan
08-20-2008, 06:00 PM
A big key to the chances of the Sox is how they hit on the road. If they can continue to hit well when they go to the East Coast after the Tampa Bay series, they will prove they are one of the best teams in baseball this year (as long as they continue to pitch well, of course).

southside rocks
08-20-2008, 06:05 PM
What a fun game -- another gorgeous summer day, warm sunshine and cold beers and the Sox just CLOBBERED the ball. A good time was had by all in Box 116.

Oh, and we enjoyed watching Floyd pitch, too, which just shows you how dumb we are. :rolleyes:

soxfanreggie
08-20-2008, 06:17 PM
My phone was almost buzzing off my desk with all the runs we scored. Such a beat down; however, hopefully we can continue to hit this well for the rest of the season, but I don't think any team can go at a clip of over 10 runs a game for that long. If we can still hit well and bump our pitching up a notch, we can get some more distance between ourselves and the Twins, so hopefully we have a lead greater than 3 games going into the last series.

Harry Potter
08-20-2008, 06:26 PM
I'd rather Twins go to the playoffs than the Red Sox or Yankees, so good for them winning against Oakland.

:dtroll:

MCHSoxFan
08-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Sorry I took sooo loong to post here but I was Making a Griff Jr. video. I was lucky enough to get his HR basically frame-for-frame!!!

Oh, BTW, GREAT game, series sweep!!!

BadBobbyJenks
08-20-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm assuming he was saying this tongue in cheek.

Yes it was, I guess I should have put it into teal, but sadly he has no idea about Chicagoans needing teal to understand sarcasm. Easy folks it was a joke.

Lillian
08-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Well, it was against the Mariners, and the Sox will of course be much more challenged by teams like the Rays, Angels, Red Sox and Twins, all of which remain on the schedule. However, the presence of this lineup is indeed impressive. It must be very intimidating for an opposing pitcher to face so many dangerous hitters.
I think it's telling that we've been getting so much production out of the lower third of the order. Pitchers are probably concluding that they must be aggressive with the lower third, as it represents less of a threat than that really intimidating middle of the order. Fortunately for the Sox, Swisher, Alexei and Uribe are all capable of doing plenty of damage with pitches around the plate.
I'm so happy to see Uribe being more selective, and standing up instead of bending over at the waist. He really looks like he could go on one of his good streaks.

sox1970
08-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Red Sox are getting thumped, so the Sox will probably pass Boston tonight.

BadBobbyJenks
08-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Red Sox are getting thumped, so the Sox will probably pass Boston tonight.

Twins will pass Boston. We don't want any part of that race.:cool:

sox1970
08-20-2008, 07:57 PM

True, but you always want to be ahead of the wildcard leader.

It's a good thing.

SoxGirl4Life
08-20-2008, 08:07 PM

Hey Timberwolf has become a White Sox fan! On Motown sports, he/she is praising the Sox and saying they're going to win 100 games.

I think he's off his meds.

Tragg
08-20-2008, 08:13 PM
I root for all contenders to lose. Right now the priority is Twins, BoSox, D Rays, Yankees, Blue Jays.

cws05champ
08-20-2008, 08:13 PM
I love me some TCQ. One of the reasons...he ALWAYS hustles!! He didn't get a hit today in the drubbing, but in the 8th inning of a 12 run game he hits a high chopper to 3rd and busts his butt to first and almost had a hit. That is one of the reasons he has become one of my favorite players so quickly.

Great game...lets take it to the Rays this weekend. A sweep would be nice!!! But I'l take 2/3.

Frankfan4life
08-20-2008, 08:39 PM
I decided to ditch work today to go to the game and boy was I glad I did. I got some good seats from Stub Hub and got a discount using a code I got from the ticket exchange. I hadn't seen Griffey play at The Cell yet and somehow I felt that this would be the day he hit his first Sox homer. Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed.

Not only did the Sox plate six runs in the first but the offense was smokin' the whole game. The pitching wasn't bad either. And to top it off, I won two Sox tickets. I picked the Detroit game on September 12. Great day! Great Game!! :bandance::bandance:

October26
08-20-2008, 08:46 PM
I love reading all the posts from Sox fans that attend each game. It is fun to get your perspective. Keep 'em coming. I have attended some great games myself and it has been a great summer to be a Sox fan so far. Here's hoping the Sox keep it going and we see more Soxtober magic in 2008! :)

PS -> I am thoroughly enjoying listening to the Score right now with John Danks and Adam Russell. John Danks is funny. :smile:

SBSoxFan
08-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Well, it was against the Mariners

The Mariners got swept in Minnesota, but they certainly were in all 3 games. This series? Not so much.

I think this is what you call "hitting your stride." Too bad it only took 2 years to do it. :tongue:

wsgdf
08-20-2008, 09:23 PM
He ran into the tunnel as quickly as possible so they wouldn't mug him or do the jump celebration.

This is what I saw:

It looked to me like Ozzie waved everybody to sit down and give him the silent treatment as he was rounding 1B.

Sure enough, when he gets to the dugout entrance, Coop and maybe Walk are standing there, but the rest of the team is sitting shoulder to shoulder and looking straight ahead.

Jr. having seen this act before decided to play along and ran straight into the clubhouse... hilarious move.

Dye and Thome couldn't take it and they got up laughing and running toward the stairs from the end of the bench. Griffey came back up and got his high fives.

Fun times.

kitekrazy
08-20-2008, 09:55 PM
What a fun game -- another gorgeous summer day, warm sunshine and cold beers and the Sox just CLOBBERED the ball. A good time was had by all in Box 116.

Oh, and we enjoyed watching Floyd pitch, too, which just shows you how dumb we are. :rolleyes:

Oh for sure. The only problem is with day games I'm suffering from White Sox withdrawal this evening.

PeteWard
08-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Meaningless but cool stat: At this moment the Sox and Boston have scored the same amount of runs and given up the same amount of runs: 656 to 539.
Incredible after so many games. :smile:

SBSoxFan
08-20-2008, 10:41 PM
This is what I saw:

It looked to me like Ozzie waved everybody to sit down and give him the silent treatment as he was rounding 1B.

Sure enough, when he gets to the dugout entrance, Coop and maybe Walk are standing there, but the rest of the team is sitting shoulder to shoulder and looking straight ahead.

Jr. having seen this act before decided to play along and ran straight into the clubhouse... hilarious move.

Dye and Thome couldn't take it and they got up laughing and running toward the stairs from the end of the bench. Griffey came back up and got his high fives.

Fun times.

Swish also hit his 100th career homerun. When he got back to the dugout, everyone was just sitting there. He did the little jump hip-check with the air. :D:

BadBobbyJenks
08-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Swish also hit his 100th career homerun. When he got back to the dugout, everyone was just sitting there. He did the little jump hip-check with the air. :D:

So that's why they did it. I could not figure it out and didn't look it up. I love this team.

ChiSoxGirl
08-21-2008, 12:19 AM
My phone was almost buzzing off my desk with all the runs we scored. Such a beat down; however, hopefully we can continue to hit this well for the rest of the season, but I don't think any team can go at a clip of over 10 runs a game for that long. If we can still hit well and bump our pitching up a notch, we can get some more distance between ourselves and the Twins, so hopefully we have a lead greater than 3 games going into the last series.

Mine, too. Between my friend down in Jupiter and DumpJerry texting me for the first couple innings while I sat in a painfully boring Back-to-School meeting, I thought my phone was going to explode. I was VERY pleased with the scoring updates they were sending me!

BigP50
08-21-2008, 12:36 AM
that game was ridiculous. after the 2nd out in the 1st inning, it was OVA

RadioheadRocks
08-21-2008, 04:30 AM
How dare they not score in the last two innings! Great sweep considering the pitchers were the Mariners best and we kicked their butts.

The White Sox actually accomplished this feat May 11, 1949 vs. Boston. This was a home game, so they did not bat in the bottom of the 9th.

So many homers in this series! Will there be any fireworks left at U.S. Cellular for the weekend? :tongue:

Lots more $$$ from Alex Snelius in loving memory of Ursula. :cool:

Railsplitter
08-21-2008, 09:35 AM
I was there!
:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance: :bandance:

Railsplitter
08-21-2008, 09:42 AM

I was in row 28 of section 114. People near me and my brother were making noise for the t-shirt toss. I said. "If those girls can throw the shirts this far, they have better arms than the Mariners' pitchers"

Desert Rat
08-21-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm probably way too late with this post. But did anyone else notice JD and Swish having what appeared to be a pretty serious discussion halfway thru the game? Just inside the dugout, Swish sitting in that 1st spot, JD standing right up in his face. Didn't look like arguing but serious. In fact they were still locked in when AJ hit his homer, never even got up to celebrate, nothing. Then Swish gets the "cold shoulder" next inning? Strange. Maybe the advantage of a dvr, I rewound a couple times.