PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody else amazed by Alexei's swing?

Whitesoxfan23
08-20-2008, 01:36 PM
It is a thing of beauty. I love his quick swing. One of the sweetest looking swings that I have ever seen. He can turn a pitch high inside out of the park in a hurry. He just did it today against the Mariners. Man, this guy is what you call a BALL PLAYER.

BigP50
08-20-2008, 01:42 PM
it's one of the best swings in baseball. he makes it look so easy

DumpJerry
08-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Very smooth and natural.

KenBerryGrab
08-20-2008, 01:49 PM
The ball sounds different coming off his bat.

DumpJerry
08-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Alexei home runs are a Cuban Missile Crisis for the opposition.

SouthSideSid
08-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Alexei is as exciting a prospect as I have seen on the big club since Robin Ventura came up. I hope he ends up with the ROY.

turners56
08-20-2008, 03:58 PM

They're usually missiles in general. He lines them out of there most of the time.

turners56
08-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Alexei is as exciting a prospect as I have seen on the big club since Robin Ventura came up. I hope he ends up with the ROY.

You don't ever like to see good young players like Longoria on the DL for a long stint of time, but I would love him to take a bit longer on his healing and that rehab assignment of his...

That'll give Alexei time to catch up numbers-wise.

PatK
08-20-2008, 04:00 PM
To me, it seems like what you'd normally call a bad long swing.

But the way he gets it around is just something. He doesn't seem to get fazed by changes in speed or type of pitch like most long swing hitters do.

voodoochile
08-20-2008, 04:08 PM
To me, it seems like what you'd normally call a bad long swing.

But the way he gets it around is just something. He doesn't seem to get fazed by changes in speed or type of pitch like most long swing hitters do.

He makes a ridiculous amount of contact. His hand eye coordination and spatial awareness have got to be off the chart.

hawkjt
08-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Soriano and him are built alike and their swings seem very similar. Great wrists,I think. Hank Aaron had great wrists, a slight build, and a ton of homers. I keep thinking Alexei will come back to earth but so far...he is soaring into the stratosphere.

soxinem1
08-20-2008, 07:01 PM
His swing has really settled in nicely, but with his recent HR surge, I just hope he does not go homer-happy.

cws05champ
08-20-2008, 07:47 PM
You do know that Tim McCarver is going to steal that line don't you??

FedEx227
08-20-2008, 07:50 PM
The ball sounds different coming off his bat.

We noticed that at Spring Training, you had to be there to really hear it, it was a different sound completely.

It started the season off a bit loopy, but he seems to have improved tremendously. The only problem I see is it's sometimes Soriano long as in he doesn't get around as many curves, but again he seems to be taking steps to correct it, and obviously it's been working lately. It's a lot like Griffey, fundamentally a bit weird, but does it look pretty when it works.

Adele_H
08-20-2008, 09:27 PM
He makes a ridiculous amount of contact. His hand eye coordination and spatial awareness have got to be off the chart.

I'd love to see how good Alexei can be when he

a) gets fed & hits the weights in the off-season
b) learns the league
c) starts "working" the pitchers a little more, exhibiting a little more discipline with 2 strikes especially

Sky is the limit in the next 5-7 years.

Big Gus
08-21-2008, 06:31 AM
His swing reminds me of a young Ted Williams, not to mention the similarity in body type.

oeo
08-21-2008, 08:45 AM
His swing has really settled in nicely, but with his recent HR surge, I just hope he does not go homer-happy.

I think Alexei knows when to take his rips, and when to just swing for contact.

His grand slam and three run homer the other day were both late in games that we were already up by a ton. Yesterday, we had already put up 3 runs in the first inning, and there was only one out. In all those instances, he got a pitch to drive, and he took it.

And for a guy that likes to swing, he knows how to lay off when he gets behind in the count. Very rarely do you see him swinging at crap when he gets behind. He really knows how to buckle down and get himself a pitch to hit.

Adele_H
08-21-2008, 04:58 PM
And for a guy that likes to swing, he knows how to lay off when he gets behind in the count. Very rarely do you see him swinging at crap when he gets behind. He really knows how to buckle down and get himself a pitch to hit.

Is that why he's hitting only

.164 ba, with 424 OPS after he gets down in the count 0-2
.198 ba, with 526 OPS after he gets down in the count 1-2

(including .032 ba, with 064 OPS :o: on 2-2 count)

The Hawkaroo is the greatest, but his "Alexei is the best 2-strike hitter in the world" routine is crap. You want a great 2-strike hitter? Berroid Bonds had something like an 1100 OPS with 2 strikes on him a few years ago, unreal....

Alexei Ramirez is still work in progress.... which is scary if you're the opposing pitcher in an important game.