08-20-2008, 09:55 AM
I believe around 9:20 AM....

soltrain21
08-20-2008, 10:06 AM
I didn't know he spoke English?

aryzner
08-20-2008, 10:07 AM
I didn't know he spoke English?
They said Ozzie Jr will come in and translate.

oeo
08-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Very cool. We don't ever get any comments from Alexei.

Keep us updated on what he has to say.

aryzner
08-20-2008, 10:28 AM
So far it's really just been he's grateful to the White Sox for giving him a chance to play, he said he's looked at better players and tried to emulate the things that they do, etc.

voodoochile
08-20-2008, 10:31 AM
I am sure having OG, OC and even Uribe around to learn from has been great for him. He'll end up being a better hitter than any of them, but in terms of mental preparation and defensive alignment, there is plenty of talent to learn from.

hawkjt
08-20-2008, 10:34 AM
his tryout for all MLB teams, many were disapointed with his thin frame and his footwork, according to Alexei in this interview. Said the Sox stayed on him the whole time.
Thank you,Jose(who I am sure endorsed him) and Kenny. As Mully said, this kid is a just a joy to watch so far this year.

aryzner
08-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Sorry I'm at work and haven't been paying 100% full attention but he also thanked Jose Contreras for his help and said that lots of MLB teams saw him play and some were disappointed by his size and some said he needed work on his footwork and some other stuff I can't remember.

edit: whoops I just got beat to it. :)also i hope you like my run-on sentence

eriqjaffe
08-20-2008, 10:35 AM
I am sure having OG, OC and even Uribe around to learn from has been great for him. He'll end up being a better hitter than any of them, but in terms of mental preparation and defensive alignment, there is plenty of talent to learn from.He already is a better hitter than Uribe.

krispoulin
08-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Crap. I just missed the interview. Alexei's become one of my favorite players and, considering his back-story and the fact that I don't think I've ever heard him speak, I bet an interview would have been pretty interesting.

Anyone out there feel like posting a recap of the interview for those of us who missed it?

Thanks!

Rockabilly
08-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Crap. I just missed the interview. Alexei's become one of my favorite players and, considering his back-story and the fact that I don't think I've ever heard him speak, I bet an interview would have been pretty interesting.

Anyone out there feel like posting a recap of the interview for those of us who missed it?

Thanks!

i'm sure the SCORE homepage will probably have the interview on their site

doublem23
08-20-2008, 11:23 AM
i'm sure the SCORE homepage will probably have the interview on their site

Yes, they do. It's on the main page of their site, in the nav bar on the right side of the screen.

www.670thescore.com

P.S.... What a ****ty website. That thing looks like it was created by a 13-year-old who hasn't taken his Ritalin in a few days.

08-20-2008, 11:27 AM
his tryout for all MLB teams, many were disapointed with his thin frame and his footwork, according to Alexei in this interview. Said the Sox stayed on him the whole time.
Thank you,Jose(who I am sure endorsed him) and Kenny. As Mully said, this kid is a just a joy to watch so far this year.

Interestingly, the guy who did most if not all of the legwork on this was Dave Wilder, the now disgraced former Sox exec. Wilder was there for the tryout, Wilder gave the recommendation, etc. In spring training before all the Dominican payout mess surfaced, word was Wilder really liked Alexei's bat speed and instincts which were the big reasons the White Sox were so aggressive.

oeo
08-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Yes, they do. It's on the main page of their site, in the nav bar on the right side of the screen.

www.670thescore.com (http://www.670thescore.com)

P.S.... What a ****ty website. That thing looks like it was created by a 13-year-old who hasn't taken his Ritalin in a few days.

"Alexi Ramirex joins Mully & Hanley in studio to talk Chicago White Sox baseball!"

I guess that 13-year-old kid updates the site, too.

Interestingly, the guy who did most if not all of the legwork on this was Dave Wilder, the now disgraced former Sox exec. Wilder was there for the tryout, Wilder gave the recommendation, etc. In spring training before all the Dominican payout mess surfaced, word was Wilder really liked Alexei's bat speed and instincts which were the big reasons the White Sox were so aggressive.

I hate that bastard.

UofCSoxFan
08-20-2008, 11:41 AM

Wilder was a pretty good scout....he just had no integrety.

PennStater98r
08-20-2008, 12:05 PM
With Longoria out - I think the kid's the rookie of the year in the AL!

BeeBeeRichard
08-20-2008, 12:20 PM
woulda liked to have heard the answers to a couple of better questions than the Score team asked, such as:

"When you were in Cuba, did you have access to see MLB games live or on tape, and if so how did you gauge your own talents vs. what you were able to see?"

and...

"What was your thought process during the HR at-bat on Sunday?"

I swear that was the funniest at-bat. The first pitch was borderline high, called strike 1, and Alexi looked like "****, THAT was a strike?" but didn't even look back at the ump. The second pitch was brderline low, and he had the same look on his face: "OK, if that was a strike, there's no way the the first pitch was. Guess I better get to work here." Then, BAM!

Still, it was better than if Mike Nort was still there...

""Eeey, Ozzie, can yooze ask him if he likes da food here in America? I mean look at da guy, he's thin as a rail, lemme take yooze guys over to Gibson's after da show. ... OK we're gonna take your calls, let's light 'em up like Christmas trees. .... "

Frankfan4life
08-20-2008, 12:22 PM

www.670thescore.com (http://www.670thescore.com)

P.S.... What a ****ty website. That thing looks like it was created by a 13-year-old who hasn't taken his Ritalin in a few days.Maybe it's my computer but I can't even get the Ramirez interview to play. :?:

white sox bill
08-20-2008, 12:30 PM
My linky won't play, anyone else have problems?

spawn
08-20-2008, 12:38 PM
woulda liked to have heard the answers to a couple of better questions than the Score team asked, such as:

"When you were in Cuba, did you have access to see MLB games live or on tape, and if so how did you gauge your own talents vs. what you were able to see?"

and...

I swear that was the funniest at-bat. The first pitch was borderline high, called strike 1, and Alexi looked like "****, THAT was a strike?" but didn't even look back at the ump. The second pitch was brderline low, and he had the same look on his face: "OK, if that was a strike, there's no way the the first pitch was. Guess I better get to work here." Then, BAM!

""Eeey, Ozzie, can yooze ask him if he likes da food here in America? I mean look at da guy, he's thin as a rail, lemme take yooze guys over to Gibson's after da show. ... OK we're gonna take your calls, let's light 'em up like Christmas trees. .... "
I would've loved it if you spelled the man's name correctly. It's A-L-E-X-E-I. Just wondering how people can spell his name wrong when it's spelled correctly in the thread title.:rolleyes:

oeo
08-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Maybe it's my computer but I can't even get the Ramirez interview to play. :?:

It's not you...their mp3 is empty. I'm sure it will be up later.

BeeBeeRichard
08-20-2008, 12:48 PM
I would've loved it if you spelled the man's name correctly. It's A-L-E-X-E-I. Just wondering how people can spell his name wrong when it's spelled correctly in the thread title.:rolleyes:

It's called a typo, *******.

<yawn>

spawn
08-20-2008, 12:49 PM
It's called a typo, *******.

<yawn>
Whatever.

By the way:

WSI Code of Conduct (http://www.flyingsock.com/MainPages/ConductCode.htm)

Though we encourage members to engage in healthy debates, we do not condone personal attacks on members. Ideas can be disputed or challenged, but attacks on a personal level are unacceptable and if they are brought to the attention of the staff, will be dealt with accordingly. Ideas can be attacked, but individuals cannot.

Adele_H
08-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Seeing Alexeeie play I am not so much suprised that even a broken Dave Wilder told the correct time, so to speak, but also... where were other organizations' higher-profile scout & development people during all of this?

It seems to me that "The Carlos Martinez" (still lol) is a can't miss international talent along the lines of Ichiro, Big Matsui, Matsuzaka, Contreras...

UofCSoxFan
08-20-2008, 01:40 PM

and...

Hey I'm always up for a good Cuban restaurant....North might have gotten a recomendation or two. Although I'm not sure I'd trust a guy as skinny as Alexei.