PDA

View Full Version : The best move you make...is often one you didn't make

jabrch
08-20-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm glad KW didn't pull the trigger on this one. Would have been a shame to overpay for a guy who fell apart so quickly.

Per Rotoworld - X-rays on Justin Duchscherer's ailing right hip came back negative. MRI - will miss 2-3 starts - maybe more.

hawkjt
08-20-2008, 10:53 AM
I was hot for the Sox to get Washburn or Byrd. Still wish they could have swung the Bryd deal since it was just a rental but Washburn might have been a huge mistake like Duscherer. Hate to see this happen to Duscherer since the twins go out there next week.

skottyj242
08-20-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm just glad we didn't pull that deal with Florida.

08-20-2008, 02:27 PM

Isn't that the truth. Imagine that tragedy if we would have been sending Quentin along with Danks and the rest of our farm. Quentin is better than Miguel and Danks is certainly better than Willis

DumpJerry
08-20-2008, 02:35 PM
I was hot for the Sox to get Washburn or Byrd. Still wish they could have swung the Bryd deal since it was just a rental but Washburn might have been a huge mistake like Duscherer. Hate to see this happen to Duscherer since the twins go out there next week.
Duscherer's hip had been bothering him for a few weeks now. I'm sure that is a huge reason why Kenny did not pull the trigger and the rumors started about Kenny looking at Street.

munchman33
08-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Duscherer's hip had been bothering him for a few weeks now. I'm sure that is a huge reason why Kenny did not pull the trigger and the rumors started about Kenny looking at Street.

Are you? Because I'd imagine the conversation for Duscherer went more like this.

Beane: Hello?
Kenny: How's it going Billy?
Beane: Alright...what can I help you with?
Kenny: I was wondering what I can send you in a deal for Duscherer.
*click*
Kenny: Hello? Is anybody there?

08-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Are you? Because I'd imagine the conversation for Duscherer went more like this.

*click*

Nah.

BadBobbyJenks
08-20-2008, 08:11 PM

*click*

:dtroll:

Tragg
08-20-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm glad KW didn't pull the trigger on this one. Would have been a shame to overpay for a guy who fell apart so quickly.

Per Rotoworld - X-rays on Justin Duchscherer's ailing right hip came back negative. MRI - will miss 2-3 starts - maybe more.
Or what about Huston Street. He's now a middle reliever. Let's load up the wheelbarrow of young talent to get that tired arm.

Stay away from Oakland pitchers.

These pile-on talent trades for one player are usually questionable. Look at Seattle - how'd that Bedard trade work out for them. Williams hasn't been at his best with those either.

08-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Or what about Huston Street. He's now a middle reliever. Let's load up the wheelbarrow of young talent to get that tired arm.

Stay away from Oakland pitchers.

These pile-on talent trades for one player are usually questionable. Look at Seattle - how'd that Bedard trade work out for them. Williams hasn't been at his best with those either.

Bull****. Name them.

The Freddy garcie and Vazquez trades didn't work out at all.

skottyj242
08-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Bull****. Name them.

The Freddy garcie and Vazquez trades didn't work out at all.

Todd Ritchie.

spawn
08-21-2008, 09:56 AM

*click*
I'm really shocked at this post!:rolleyes:

munchman33
08-21-2008, 10:05 AM

I'm really shocked at this post!:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

This whole thread is ridiculous because it's based on a premise that doesn't exist in reality. The original poster said "pull the trigger" like the deal was hinging on KW or something.

Duscherer was the best starter available. Provide for me an adequate package based on our minor league talent that would have at least kept Billy Beane on the phone. I'll disagree with you, but at least it isn't as pretentious as simply calling anyone that disagrees with you a troll.

balke
08-21-2008, 10:10 AM
An even better non move was the millions and millions Andruw Jones was going to cost for what he's done this year. I was hoping the Sox would've tested him out, but obviously now I'm glad they didn't.

munchman33
08-21-2008, 10:14 AM
An even better non move was the millions and millions Andruw Jones was going to cost for what he's done this year. I was hoping the Sox would've tested him out, but obviously now I'm glad they didn't.

Count me in on that one too.

Rocky Soprano
08-21-2008, 10:16 AM
:rolleyes:

This whole thread is ridiculous because it's based on a premise that doesn't exist in reality. The original poster said "pull the trigger" like the deal was hinging on KW or something.

Duscherer was the best starter available. Provide for me an adequate package based on our minor league talent that would have at least kept Billy Beane on the phone. I'll disagree with you, but at least it isn't as pretentious as simply calling anyone that disagrees with you a troll.

Hitmen77
08-21-2008, 10:27 AM

I totally agree. ....and some Sox fans were ready to storm KW's house with torches and pitchforks when that deal with Detroit went down.

Absolutely. But, I doubt he was ever a serious candidate for acquisition by KW - it was just fans and the press throwing his name around. Getting Jones sounded like a bad idea to me from the start. I'm surprised so many fans were willing to overlook his huge drop off in production the previous year.

munchman33
08-21-2008, 10:42 AM
I'm surprised so many fans were willing to overlook his huge drop off in production the previous year.

They overlooked Nick Swisher's. :dunno:

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-21-2008, 11:04 AM

I was too. Glad we didn't. Look at how we lit up Washburn. I think we'll be ok.

skottyj242
08-21-2008, 12:17 PM
We should try and get Rowand.

spawn
08-21-2008, 12:21 PM
We should try and get Rowand.
:club: :tongue:

Hitmen77
08-21-2008, 12:48 PM
They overlooked Nick Swisher's. :dunno:

:?: How do you figure that Swisher had a huge drop off in production before the Sox acquired him?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/swishni01.shtml

turners56
08-21-2008, 12:51 PM
:?: How do you figure that Swisher had a huge drop off in production before the Sox acquired him?

Swisher's actually bound to hit 26 HRs this year, better than what he did last year.

munchman33
08-21-2008, 06:25 PM

It was a huge dropoff from 2006. It wasn't as bad as Andrew Jones' dropoff, yes. But Andrew's been a better player for longer.

It's moot anyways. Both guys have had terrible seasons.

FedEx227
08-21-2008, 06:51 PM
It was a huge dropoff from 2006. It wasn't as bad as Andrew Jones' dropoff, yes. But Andrew's been a better player for longer.

You're kidding right?

Jones: .161/.261/.254, 3 HR, 14 RBI, 35 OPS+

Swisher: .237/.356/.433, 20 HR, 61 RBI, 106 OPS+

Those are on different levels. Say what you want about the season Swisher has had. You can call it terrible, I call it above average (OPS+). The fact that you put both of their season on a similar pedestal is a joke. Swisher is out OBPing him by nearly .100 points, out SLG him by almost .200... are you kidding or just that ridiculous stubborn?

08-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Todd Ritchie.

How did those "prospects" Kenny traded turn out?

jabrch
08-21-2008, 09:25 PM

I was on record for being WAAAAY against that one too. Ditto for paying Hunter what he got.

Jerome
08-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Torii Hunter for 70 million or whatever it is that he got

turners56
08-22-2008, 03:47 PM

I can't believe you're comparing Jones to Swisher.

Just an FYI, Swisher had a higher OPS+ (2006: 125, 2007: 127) in his "down year" in 2007 than he did in 2006.

He hit 13 less homers in 07 than he did in 06, along with less RBI. But he also hit 25 points higher with a much better OBP.

I wouldn't say Swisher improved in 07, but the drop-off was not as catastrophic as you think it is.

DumpJerry
08-22-2008, 04:36 PM
How did those "prospects" Kenny traded turn out?
That would be, to refresh everyone's memory, Kip Wells, Sean Lowe and Josh Fogg.

Sean Lowe played his last game in baseball two years later.