PDA

View Full Version : First base coaching depth

Vance Law's Dog
08-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Anyone see how Harold's backup did tonight? Did he point at the bag in an authoritative yet helpful way to direct the baserunners to where they were supposed to go? Was he using the stopwatch? Was he holding up one finger to the baserunner when there was one out, two fingers when there were two out, etc.? Was he yelling "BACK!" on pickoff throws?

I myself wasn't too confident seeing a guy wearing a spring training number out there.

I know Harold is supposed to be back in a couple of days, but do you think we should be looking for a more solid backup just in case? Do we have a first base coach in the minors that we could call up, or do we have to look at making a deal? Is Tim Raines still available? What about Doug Mansolino? Or could we put Joey out there? Would we have to put him at his familiar position of third and then move Coxy to first. I wouldn't be too confident moving Coxy out of position. How about if we prop up Contreras out there, and Ozzie Jr. could be his interpreter for all the non-Spanish-speaking baserunners?

Man I don't think I am going to be able to sleep worrying about this.

ViPeRx007
08-19-2008, 10:31 PM
I didn't know Harold was even gone....

Where'd he go?

:scratch:

EMachine10
08-19-2008, 10:33 PM
:?::?::?:

BigP50
08-19-2008, 10:34 PM
how important is a 1st base coach, serious question.

PicktoCLick72
08-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Typical Sox Brass not addressing the 1B coach in this year's draft. With Harold gone, we are going to be struggling for a while. Hopefully we can address this in the offseason.

soxfanreggie
08-19-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm more worried about 3rd base than 1st.

voodoochile
08-19-2008, 10:49 PM

Why? Cox has been great this year.

Jpgr91
08-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Harold not at first? 2008 version of a white flag.

WhiteSoxBlog
08-19-2008, 10:52 PM
There were some girls holding signs that said, "Wave 'em around, Cox!" I immediately though, "you don't watch many games, do you?"

He's had a couple of hiccups this year, that's for sure. Nevertheless, they're there to help, not to replace the runners' brains, so I'm not worried about Baines being gone for a little bit.

doublem23
08-19-2008, 10:58 PM
There were some girls holding signs that said, "Wave 'em around, Cox!" I immediately though, "you don't watch many games, do you?"

He's had a couple of hiccups this year, that's for sure. Nevertheless, they're there to help, not to replace the runners' brains, so I'm not worried about Baines being gone for a little bit.

At least they knew his name.

jabrch
08-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Nevertheless, they're there to help, not to replace the runners' brains,

Actually, they are there to be the runner's brains. The runners job is to pick up the base coaches signal and to execute.

thomas35forever
08-19-2008, 11:03 PM
We never hear from Harold. I'm surprised people noticed he was gone.

oeo
08-19-2008, 11:04 PM

Yeah, a couple as in three or four. Razor Shines and Joey Cora would be up over 20 by now. Cox has been a welcome addition to the coaching staff. Now if only someone was dumb enough to hire Joey Cora as a manager, we might be able to get even better.

Nellie_Fox
08-19-2008, 11:32 PM

Where'd he go?

:scratch:According to the Seattle announcers (watching on Extra Innings) Harold had some minor foot surgery today.

As far as I'm concerned, you just can't have too much depth at first-base coach.

BadBobbyJenks
08-20-2008, 12:07 AM
If Jerry would just open up the pocketbook once in a while and pay over slot we could develop a talented young first base coach instead of relying on low ceiling signable coaches or over the hill veterans. This needs to be addressed immediately!

Nellie_Fox
08-20-2008, 12:25 AM
If Jerry would just open up the pocketbook once in a while and pay over slot we could develop a talented young first base coach instead of relying on low ceiling signable coaches or over the hill veterans. This needs to be addressed immediately!But Boras really has a monopoly on all the promising first-base coaching prospects.

doublem23
08-20-2008, 12:25 AM
As far as I'm concerned, you just can't have too much depth at first-base coach.

World Series are won and lost in the first base coach's box.

Nellie_Fox
08-20-2008, 12:26 AM
World Series are won and lost in the first base coach's box.Truth.

swish
08-20-2008, 12:59 AM

Where'd he go?

:scratch:

He had a minor medical procedure, he will return by the weekend.

Konerko05
08-20-2008, 01:46 AM
He had a minor medical procedure, he will return by the weekend.

No Guillen insists Baines does a minor league rehab assignment before returning. Harold's backup did such a great job, Ozzie wants to make sure Harold is ready before he gives him his position back.

Harold's backup may be looking at a utility base coach position next season if he keeps producing.

Marqhead
08-20-2008, 06:35 AM
:threadrules:

Gave me a good laugh this morning. :D:

Chez
08-20-2008, 07:19 AM
If Jerry would just open up the pocketbook once in a while and pay over slot we could develop a talented young first base coach instead of relying on low ceiling signable coaches or over the hill veterans. This needs to be addressed immediately!

Agreed. When's the last time the Sox had a first base coach they had developed in their system? Plus, you know there HAD to be several solid first base coaches available at the trade deadline, but because our minor league system is so depleted, Kenny had nothing to deal. This really, really sucks and I blame Dave Wilder.

Max Power
08-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Does anyone know what 1st Base Coaches have cleared waivers? With Baines hurting we definitely need to improve our depth there. Hopefully MIN doesn't put in a claim on someone just so we can't get him.

doublem23
08-20-2008, 08:19 AM
Does anyone know what 1st Base Coaches have cleared waivers? With Baines hurting we definitely need to improve our depth there. Hopefully MIN doesn't put in a claim on someone just so we can't get him.

Where is otis at a time like this!?!?

:whiner:

white sox bill
08-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Why? Cox has been great this year.

He is? Last time I checked, he was batting .000

white sox bill
08-20-2008, 08:31 AM

I heard thru the grapevine Billy Bean and KW are working on a deal that would bring in Oakland's First Base Coach AND a left field ballgirl in exchange for one of Ozzies's sons and a bullpen catcher to be named later.

The only hangup is the ballgirls husband has to try and transfer his job to Chicago before thumbs up can be given

RowanDye
08-20-2008, 08:32 AM
No Guillen insists Baines does a minor league rehab assignment before returning. Harold's backup did such a great job, Ozzie wants to make sure Harold is ready before he gives him his position back.

Harold's backup may be looking at a utility base coach position next season if he keeps producing.

"I'm going to make it clear. I'm not going to bring Harold because he's Harold Baines," Guillen said. "I'm going to bring Harold Baines because we need him." :tongue:

white sox bill
08-20-2008, 08:37 AM
"I'm going to make it clear. I'm not going to bring Harold because he's Harold Baines," Guillen said. "I'm going to bring Harold Baines because we need him." :tongue:
KW:" Not just any Harold Baines, THE Harold Baines" (THB)

Jim Shorts
08-20-2008, 08:54 AM
I can't believe I read this whole thread

Chez
08-20-2008, 09:15 AM
The sad thing is that you just know the Twins have developed all sorts of young first base coaching talent throughout their organization.

white sox bill
08-20-2008, 09:35 AM
The sad thing is that you just know the Twins have developed all sorts of young first base coaching talent throughout their organization.
Ever see them execute the "hold" sign? Or the slap on the butt after a single? They can see a pick off move coming before the pitcher does. Its all about fundamentals with that team

PaleHoser
08-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Maybe K.W. can go get Rusty Kuntz from the Royals. He can kill two birds with that stone:

1. Make another deal with K.C.
2. Bring another former Sox home. Man, Jimmy Piersall just loved him.

EndemicSox
08-20-2008, 10:52 AM
how important is a 1st base coach, serious question.

If you're coaching a 10 year old? Fairly important...

At the big league level? A monkey could do the job...

Third base coaches are a tad bit more important, but the 1st base coach is window dressing...

KenBerryGrab
08-20-2008, 10:54 AM

"I can't spend a dollar if I only have 50 cents...."

pythons007
08-20-2008, 12:25 PM
World Series are won and lost in the first base coach's box.

Classic!:rolling:

MisterB
08-20-2008, 12:34 PM
He is? Last time I checked, he was batting .000

Yeah, but stats don't tell the whole story. Third base coaching is more about execution and "intangibles".

Hagan
08-20-2008, 02:33 PM
hahaha that was classic about Billy Beane and KW.

It looked like the BP pitcher Munoz.
Earlier in the year we won 2 games with Daryl Boston coaching 1b. Swisher had them place a # 17 Boston jersey in the dugout for the next game until they lost.

Lundind1
08-20-2008, 04:18 PM
I will make some signage for the first base coach friday, if THB is not back, and hey it costs me nothing but some time and office max makes it on TV when he holds it up.

SOXPHILE
08-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Does anyone know when Harold will be making his rehab first base coaching starts in AAA Charlotte ? Or will they try to ease him back a little more gradual and have him do a couple of games in AA first ?

MisterB
08-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Does anyone know when Harold will be making his rehab first base coaching starts in AAA Charlotte ? Or will they try to ease him back a little more gradual and have him do a couple of games in AA first ?

They may have him coach a few simulated games first.

Brian26
08-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Anyone see how Harold's backup did tonight? Did he point at the bag in an authoritative yet helpful way to direct the baserunners to where they were supposed to go? Was he using the stopwatch? Was he holding up one finger to the baserunner when there was one out, two fingers when there were two out, etc.? Was he yelling "BACK!" on pickoff throws?

I myself wasn't too confident seeing a guy wearing a spring training number out there.

I know Harold is supposed to be back in a couple of days, but do you think we should be looking for a more solid backup just in case? Do we have a first base coach in the minors that we could call up, or do we have to look at making a deal? Is Tim Raines still available? What about Doug Mansolino? Or could we put Joey out there? Would we have to put him at his familiar position of third and then move Coxy to first. I wouldn't be too confident moving Coxy out of position. How about if we prop up Contreras out there, and Ozzie Jr. could be his interpreter for all the non-Spanish-speaking baserunners?

There are few things that I describe as brilliant. This post is one of them.

One of the funniest posts I've read in the past seven years, made even better by the lack of teal and subsequent serious replies questioning your sanity.

soxinem1
08-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Typical Sox Brass not addressing the 1B coach in this year's draft. With Harold gone, we are going to be struggling for a while. Hopefully we can address this in the offseason.

Actually, Harold was an OF/DH his entire career, and with the abundance of 1B on the roster, they had no business putting him at a position that he has such little experience in.

Just like Swisher, Everett, Mackowiak, and Griffey in CF the past few seasons, Ozzie cares na-da about putting guys in their proper positions!

Couldn't they just bring up Brad Eldred from AAA for this game??

Nellie_Fox
08-20-2008, 11:23 PM
The sad thing is that you just know the Twins have developed all sorts of young first base coaching talent throughout their organization.And they've ALL been brought through the system with the program drilled into them. Solid fundamentals, good team guys. It really all goes back to Kelly's first-base coach.

soxfanreggie
08-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Any good 1st base coaches on the waiver wire? Maybe we can find a team that is out of it that's willing to give up a veteran coach for a AA bench coach or a bat boy and a roving hitting instructor to be named later.

BadBobbyJenks
08-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Any good 1st base coaches on the waiver wire? Maybe we can find a team that is out of it that's willing to give up a veteran coach for a AA bench coach or a bat boy and a roving hitting instructor to be named later.

A team like the Twins would surely block such a move.

southside rocks
08-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Yeah, but stats don't tell the whole story. Third base coaching is more about execution and "intangibles".

Darn right, that's why the VORC stat was developed!

Vance Law's Dog
08-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Well, my worst fears appear to be coming true. It looks like Harold came out of the game tonight.

I know it was a blowout and all, but if Harold can't give us nine full innings of taking the body armor from Konerko, Thome, et al, when they reach first, making subdued gestures on close plays at first and playing bullfighter with any bouncing foul balls, how can we be confident he'll be ready for the playoffs?

Don't mean to look ahead, but what if we don't have an experienced man down there in the World Series, and one of our pitchers reaches base in the NL park. I shudder to think that Gavin or Johnny may not know where to go next (second base) without someone down there to tell them.

What's the deadline to have coaches on the roster so that they'll be eligible for the playoffs? I think we need to get someone in.