thomas35forever
08-19-2008, 09:46 PM
We're still in first. Have at it.:cool:

kitekrazy
08-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Richard did all right?

CMPDragRacing
08-19-2008, 09:48 PM
good win, we got all the runs we needed not via the home run. the hr's just added to the win. good job. there were some stupid errors that they played over and got the outs they needed.

veeter
08-19-2008, 09:49 PM
I truly believe if the playoffs started today, the Sox would win it all. They're playing their best ball of the season right now.

Tragg
08-19-2008, 09:50 PM
We matched our 2007 win output.

doublem23
08-19-2008, 09:50 PM
I truly believe if the playoffs started today, the Sox would win it all. They're playing their best ball of the season right now.

If Richard/Broadway/Whomever can shore up the 5th starter spot and Vazquez starts bringing it, we're sitting real, real pretty.

Frankie5Angels
08-19-2008, 09:51 PM
What a game by Richard!! ANother solid game all around. Keep it going!!:bandance::bandance:

BadBobbyJenks
08-19-2008, 09:51 PM
A game that was never in doubt featuring Clayton Richard versus Felix Hernandez, who'd a thunk it?

Huge outing from him. He got out of a jam right off the bat with a great assist from Swish and AJ.

Great to see the offense still ripping the ball all over the place even when making outs.

The Thomenator
08-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Good vibes stayed with the kid after the double play turned in the first. Things could have gotten really sketchy if that wasn't the case. Great first major league W for Clayton. Whenever we need a 5th guy, I can have faith in him and Broadway.

turners56
08-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Richard did all right?

He pitched very good, he was more than alright. We hit Hernandez hard, but we also messed up in certain situations. Good win with our fifth starter going. Hey! We have as many wins as we did last year! Let's sweep the series. I hope our sluggers hit knuckleballs well.

soxfanreggie
08-19-2008, 09:55 PM
1.) I don't know if we'll have a 5-man rotation for the playoffs. I would put it more towards going with a 4-man.
2.) A win is a win, and I'll take it, especially at a spot where we don't have a true starter right now.

Brian26
08-19-2008, 09:57 PM

They've won 7 of their last 8 games, and they were six lousy outs from being 8 out of 8. They appear to be rolling, and it's pretty exciting.

However, keep in mind they have played the three worst teams in the American League for the last 8 games, so don't expect this kind of production to continue for the remainder of the season.

They're winning the games they are supposed to win, so at the worst hopefully they are holding serve on the Twins.

Tragg
08-19-2008, 09:57 PM
1.) I don't know if we'll have a 5-man rotation for the playoffs. I would put it more towards going with a 4-man.

We won't. We need the 5th starter to get there. He moves to the pen foro the playoffs, El Duque style.

Zisk77
08-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Richard needs some more PFP, but way to gut it out. We hit the ball hard tonight and could have easily had more than 5 runs.

TDog
08-19-2008, 10:05 PM
The starting pitching has been very good lately. Buehrle's defense let him down Monday night, but he still pitched well enough to win. Even the fifth-starter slot hasn't been a problem since Contreras came back and went back down.

Of course, the Sox look so good now because they're offense looks so good. Never this season have I believed that the offense was the problem.

PicktoCLick72
08-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Starting to click. Hopefully we can keep up the pitching/hitting over the next couple weeks. Keep it going hairless Gavin.

doublem23
08-19-2008, 10:10 PM
All this room in the Post-game thread with no Dark Clouds and Pants Pissers around... I can't stand it!

arKnaD7
08-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Wasn't able to watch the game, couldn't believe the box score when I saw it.

In Kenny we trust!!!!!!!!! :gulp:

GlassSox
08-19-2008, 10:21 PM
All this room in the Post-game thread with no Dark Clouds and Pants Pissers around... I can't stand it!

Amen. Good solid game and no whining posts. :D:

UofCSoxFan
08-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Very good job by Richard. He was able to avoid the big inning today. If he can do that consistently there is no reason he can't help us out big time down the stretch.

BigP50
08-19-2008, 10:24 PM
alright? He didn't allow any runs and only allowed 5 hits, WAY better then alright.

FedEx227
08-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Had a feeling Richard wasn't going to **** himself every time we put him out there. Nice going between Broadway and him we might be able to patch this 5th starter until the end of the year.

Mohoney
08-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Even if it is the Mariners, this was still our #5 against their #1. Winning games like that is such a bonus when the race is this close.

Oldfellah
08-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Isn't that the King Felix we played tonight??? The one ESPN gushered about so many times??? Looked like another solid game from our solid team! :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

21stcenturySox
08-19-2008, 10:36 PM
I wonder when the last time the Sox recorded a double play 3 to 2. I know I've seen the reverse before with the bases loaded, but I can't say I've ever seen the first baseman throw home for the tail of a double play.

Nipped that potential disaster right in the bud.

veeter
08-19-2008, 10:39 PM
They've won 7 of their last 8 games, and they were six lousy outs from being 8 out of 8. They appear to be rolling, and it's pretty exciting.

However, keep in mind they have played the three worst teams in the American League for the last 8 games, so don't expect this kind of production to continue for the remainder of the season.

They're winning the games they are supposed to win, so at the worst hopefully they are holding serve on the Twins.That's just it, they're winning games they are supposed to win. Haven't heard that since 2005, first half of '06. And they dropped the hammer on a very good pitcher tonite. And like I said, if the playoffs started right now.

TheOldRoman
08-19-2008, 10:44 PM
Of course, the Sox look so good now because they're offense looks so good. Never this season have I believed that the offense was the problem.I believed the offense was a big problem for most of the season to this point, and it was. We lost a lot of games early on in which our pitching was great, only to be undone by Walkerball. If one of Thome/Konerko/Swisher had hit close to their career norms for the entire year, we would be up by 5-8 games right now. As for tonight, we did good enough to win. We were up 3 times with two runners on and 1 out, and grounded into a double play. We also had runners on 2nd and 3rd and stranded them. I am just glad it didn't come back to bite us.

But that is besides the point. The offense has picked it up of late. If the Sox make the playoffs, it won't matter that the offense was terrible for much of the year. Hopefully we keep it up and hit the playoffs in full stride.

voodoochile
08-19-2008, 10:45 PM
So fun watching different players get to be the hero every night. JD not hitting tonight? NP, Thome, TCQ and AJ got your back.

Every player on this team has the ability to win the game by themselves on any given night. 1-9 we're as dangerous as it gets in MLB.

:winner

:supernana:

:)

:moonwalk:

voodoochile
08-19-2008, 10:47 PM
I believed the offense was a big problem for most of the season to this point, and it was. We lost a lot of games early on in which our pitching was great, only to be undone by Walkerball. If one of Thome/Konerko/Swisher had hit close to their career norms for the entire year, we would be up by 5-8 games right now. As for tonight, we did good enough to win. We were up 3 times with two runners on and 1 out, and grounded into a double play. We also had runners on 2nd and 3rd and stranded them. I am just glad it didn't come back to bite us.

But that is besides the point. The offense has picked it up of late. If the Sox make the playoffs, it won't matter that the offense was terrible for much of the year. Hopefully we keep it up and hit the playoffs in full stride.

Sox lead the majors in HR, are 4th in OPS, second in slg and a respectable tied for 6 or something in OBP. I think the concept that this team has been bad offensively except for May is a misconception...

Noneck
08-19-2008, 10:48 PM
This is the time of the year when you have to get fat by feeding off the bottom dwellers. The Sox have been doing pretty well at this lately. They will need that blubber to live off of when the other big boys are their only meal choice.

TheOldRoman
08-19-2008, 10:48 PM
I wonder when the last time the Sox recorded a double play 3 to 2. I know I've seen the reverse before with the bases loaded, but I can't say I've ever seen the first baseman throw home for the tail of a double play.

Nipped that potential disaster right in the bud.Once the 1B touched first, the force out would be off at all bases. The catcher would have to tag the runner.

I don't remember seeing it much, and I imagine it is pretty rare. If the 1B fields a quick hopper right by the bag and steps on first (for some reason deciding not to throw to 2nd or home), the runners would return to their bases. If the 1B has to move to field the ball and run to the bag, he won't have time to get the runner at first.

EDIT: I see what you are saying. I missed the first inning, and didn't know it happened.

PeteWard
08-19-2008, 10:58 PM
Even if it is the Mariners, this was still our #5 against their #1. Winning games like that is such a bonus when the race is this close.

Going in Richard was in a way the #7 with Jose and Broadway as 5 & 6. In a way. :scratch:
This game was the tough one and I like the Sox chances very much tomorrow.

If the Sox sweep, I think it makes it that much harder on the Twins in Seattle next week. Twins just swept them in Minny. These guys will be due to take a game or two. No team is THAT bad. I also look for a hungry Angels team to rip the Twins starting Thursday. They have been cold lately, have lost the best mark for home field in the playoffs and will be hungry & happy to be home. I will be surprised if the Angels do worse than 3-1 in that series. Sox just have to wail on the rays.

Hitmen77
08-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Great effort by Richard. We need him and Broadway (when he returns) to give us outings like this as we head to the finish line. Not only did Richard get the win, but he avoided straining the bullpen....only 1 inning each for Thornton, Dotel, and Jenks.

Thome hits another HR. It seems like just yesterday that he hit his 500th. Now he's 1/3 of the way to 600.

21stcenturySox
08-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Once the 1B touched first, the force out would be off at all bases. The catcher would have to tag the runner.

I don't remember seeing it much, and I imagine it is pretty rare. If the 1B fields a quick hopper right by the bag and steps on first (for some reason deciding not to throw to 2nd or home), the runners would return to their bases. If the 1B has to move to field the ball and run to the bag, he won't have time to get the runner at first.

EDIT: I see what you are saying. I missed the first inning, and didn't know it happened.

Swish was playing close to the line without anyone on first. Ichiro must have been going on contact and Swish fielded the ball with his foot on the bag and threw a strike to AJ.

With Ichiro's speed he almost made the play but AJ was able to successfully blocked him out and tagged him.

Ya I'm sure I've never seen that before. Great head's up baseball by Swish and AJ.

TheOldRoman
08-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Swish was playing close to the line without anyone on first. Ichiro must have been going on contact and Swish fielded the ball with his foot on the bag and threw a strike to AJ.

With Ichiro's speed he almost made the play but AJ was able to successfully blocked him out and tagged him.

Ya I'm sure I've never seen that before. Great head's up baseball by Swish and AJ.I see. Not that it matters much, but I assumed the bases were loaded. The runners didn't have to go anyway, but with someone as fast as Ichiro, it figures he would go on contact. Hell, he probably still scores 9 out of 10 times in that situation.

Foulke You
08-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Nice win tonight against a very tough pitcher. We need to break out the brooms tomorrow and it would be nice if we got more help from the A's like we did yesterday. A 2 game lead heading into the TB series would be very nice indeed.

I like the way the bats have been swinging lately but more importantly, the starting pitching we had in April and May is coming back. Nice to see two wins out of Sox farmhand pitchers Broadway and Richard.

TomBradley72
08-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Sox lead the majors in HR, are 4th in OPS, second in slg and a respectable tied for 6 or something in OBP. I think the concept that this team has been bad offensively except for May is a misconception...

Don't let facts get in the way of storming the castle with torches demanding the head of Greg Walker.

Martinigirl
08-19-2008, 11:53 PM
That was a great game. It is amazing how entertaining and nonstressful some games can be.

TDog
08-20-2008, 12:09 AM
... I don't remember seeing it much, and I imagine it is pretty rare. If the 1B fields a quick hopper right by the bag and steps on first (for some reason deciding not to throw to 2nd or home), the runners would return to their bases. If the 1B has to move to field the ball and run to the bag, he won't have time to get the runner at first. ....

The play isn't as common as it used to be. When the firstbaseman is holding a runner on first with a runner on third with a sharp grounder hit at him, tagging first and going home is good fundamental baseball. As they say, they work on it in spring training. Nick Swisher grew up with baseball. I'm sure he knew exactly what to do with the ball when it was hit to him.

When I was coaching a junior high school baseball team 29 years ago, I drilled that play in practice with my infielders. For all the drills, in our championship game, our firstbaseman still didn't step on first before throwing the ball home in that situation, and compounding the mistake, he threw the ball away. We would have lost if he had stepped on first, but I wouldn't have been so upset.

When I saw the description of the doubleplay on Gameday, I smiled broadly, more than I did when Swisher homered later in the game.

EuroSox35
08-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Richard steps up, 1st inning was key, seems like all young pitchers cruise if they get out of an early jam. Nice line, their offense isn't as bad as they've shown it to be

hawkjt
08-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Richard looked different tonite. He was more like a MB type pitcher tonite ,not throwing near max with his fastball most of the time. I thought his stuff looked somewhat hittable but he changed speeds just enough and spotted some inside fastballs on rightys that were nice. He looked like he did not try so damn hard tonite and it worked.

October26
08-20-2008, 07:46 AM
I cannot tell you how happy I was to see Clayton Richard get his first win last night. It is great for him and for the Sox. Richard gave the Sox a quality start last night and looked great in doing so. That double play in the first inning was key; I believe this outing will help boost his confidence.

We are going to need all hands on deck to hold off the Twins. Very happy once again about this Sox win. Keep it going! :bandance:

palehozenychicty
08-20-2008, 08:00 AM
Richard looked different tonite. He was more like a MB type pitcher tonite ,not throwing near max with his fastball most of the time. I thought his stuff looked somewhat hittable but he changed speeds just enough and spotted some inside fastballs on rightys that were nice. He looked like he did not try so damn hard tonite and it worked.

True that. I think, simply, that he got added confidence from being called up again. Everyone here gives up on young players so quick if they don't set the world on fire right away. Some guys take longer than others to adjust their repertoire. Whether he'll be a good, consistent major leaguer is another story for another day, but he looked good yesterday evening. Kudos to him.

cws05champ
08-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Good for Richard, good for us!!! I had a good feeling going into last nights game, for some reason. Lets hope he can give us quality starts down the stretch(or at least keep us in games). If the bats keep going over the next few weeks I think we'll build a 3-4 game lead by mid sept...hopefully.