PDA

View Full Version : Figgins speculation moved from clubhouse

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-19-2008, 05:29 AM
At this point it's all one big "It Depends", isn't it?

If Brooks Credenson does come back some time soon on epidural; plays mediocre ball as he did before being put on DL, has a productive October... He will get more than 1 yr/4 mill - a lot more, probably with all sorts of PA-based escalators.

And if upon his return Joe Crede pulls a Mark Mulder and is quickly shut down for the year, which seems much more likely - why in the world would the Sox want him back for 2009, to begin with?

One possibility noone's mentioned is Adrian Beltre. It's hard to believe but he's younger than Crede, at this point superior defensively, superior on the pads, and has a higher ceiling offensively - especially if you put him at USCF, with better line-up protection, and with the right manager/hitting coach that convinces him to stop chasing pitches at his shoulders..... Change of scenery and all that.

As long as Mariners are willing to pay a reasonable chunk of his salary, that'd be a medium risk/high reward avenue to explore.

You could throw Chone Figgins in there as well. Isn't he finally a free agent this year? KW has been after him a while and it does look like we're gonna lose Cabrera to FA.

ChiTownTrojan
08-19-2008, 09:16 AM
You could throw Chone Figgins in there as well. Isn't he finally a free agent this year? KW has been after him a while and it does look like we're gonna lose Cabrera to FA.

I can only assume that the reason you mention Cabrera is in reference to the ever important "ex-Angel" roster spot: Erstad, Cabrera, now Figgins? For the record, at least it's a good team to pipeline players in from. Sure beats Kansas City.

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 02:42 PM

I am not sure Figgins is a FA yet, but if he is, that's Kenny's guy.

Of course a lot will depend if Sox are able to find a suitor for Paul Konerko AND Konerko waives his trade-veto rights...

And then there is Griffey on the books...

08-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Figgins is a free agent after the 2009 season. Joe Cowley has already suggested Williams will try to acquire him, for what that's worth.

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Figgins is a free agent after the 2009 season. .

That's what I thought; but for some reason his name is thrown around as an impending FA, adding to more confusion than necessary.

That said, Figgins is certainly a more realistic option than Furcal or even my guy Beltre.

BeeBeeRichard
08-19-2008, 06:39 PM
The Angels should be in the mood to trade Figgins before his walk year, just like they did with O Cabrera last off-season.

DumpJerry
08-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Figgins is a free agent after the 2009 season. Joe Cowley has already suggested Williams will try to acquire him, for what that's worth.
Figgins is a free agent when the 2008 season (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/los-angeles-angels-of-anaheim.html)concludes.

johnnyg83
08-19-2008, 06:43 PM

Of course a lot will depend if Sox are able to find a suitor for Paul Konerko AND Konerko waives his trade-veto rights...

I do not believe Griffey is on the books next year.

FGarcia34
08-19-2008, 06:54 PM
hypothetically speaking, what if we were to re-sign cabrera and bring in figgins? we could then let crede walk and decide upon keeping thome/griffey. then go after a marquee starter to the likes of ben sheets.

Lillian
08-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Figgins is a free agent when the 2008 season (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/los-angeles-angels-of-anaheim.html)concludes.

We've covered this before. Although his contract is up at the end of this season, he lacks the service time to qualify for Free Agency. 2010 is his year.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-19-2008, 10:56 PM
I can only assume that the reason you mention Cabrera is in reference to the ever important "ex-Angel" roster spot: Erstad, Cabrera, now Figgins? For the record, at least it's a good team to pipeline players in from. Sure beats Kansas City.

Well, I actually meant that is seems like Cabrera doesn't want to be here and would sign with a different team.

Save McCuddy's
08-20-2008, 12:06 AM
We've covered this before. Although his contract is up at the end of this season, he lacks the service time to qualify for Free Agency. 2010 is his year.

Doesn't the fact that I really want him and feel that he is a perfect fit for us override the technical aspects of the rule book?

btrain929
08-20-2008, 10:18 AM
What's Adrian Beltre's contract look like? I know he signed a huge contract after his monster year in LA, but where is he as far as his yearly salary and years left in the contract?

turners56
08-20-2008, 10:22 AM

Speaking of Konerko...

If the Angels can't re-sign Teixeira, will they go after their beloved Konerko?

He's awfully cheap right now and we can probably get some good prospects back in return.

turners56
08-20-2008, 10:23 AM
What's Adrian Beltre's contract look like? I know he signed a huge contract after his monster year in LA, but where is he as far as his yearly salary and years left in the contract?

He's signed through 09. At around $13.5 million a year I think.

CashMan
08-20-2008, 10:23 AM
hypothetically speaking, what if we were to re-sign cabrera and bring in figgins? we could then let crede walk and decide upon keeping thome/griffey. then go after a marquee starter to the likes of ben sheets.

Griff has a 4mill buyout and Thome will get enough ABs for his option year to kick in.

turners56
08-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Griff has a 4mill buyout and Thome will get enough ABs for his option year to kick in.

I want Thome back for next year. We're only paying about half of his contract anyhow. Griffey's probably gone. And as I said, Konerko might have a new home if the Angels can't keep Teixeira.

btrain929
08-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Speaking of Konerko...

If the Angels can't re-sign Teixeira, will they go after their beloved Konerko?

He's awfully cheap right now and we can probably get some good prospects back in return.

Especially since they don't have Kotchman there anymore, that might be a strong possibility. He's not "awfully cheap" for his production of the last 2 years, but he's better than anything they have in-house that I know of.