PDA

View Full Version : Back Up Jerry Manuel

kevingrt
05-12-2002, 09:32 PM
I have to back up Jerry here. Now lets say he pitched to Erstad and Erstad singled to win the game. Guess what's coming, you should have IBB and get to Glaus look at the stats. BLA BLA BLA. But put yourself in Jerrry's shoes and you would be screwed too. Yes he has not made the best decisions but he hasn't made the worst. WE could be doin much worse if it wasn't for Jerry. I don't see anyone congraulating him on the Mags move or anything he does well. Is it just me or is all Chicago fans do is complain complain complain. Guys we've lost three in a row we are fine.

REMEMBER: BASEBALL IS A MARATHON NOT A SPRINT

RedPinStripes
05-12-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
I have to back up Jerry here. Now lets say he pitched to Erstad and Erstad singled to win the game. Guess what's coming, you should have IBB and get to Glaus look at the stats. BLA BLA BLA. But put yourself in Jerrry's shoes and you would be screwed too. Yes he has not made the best decisions but he hasn't made the worst. WE could be doin much worse if it wasn't for Jerry. I don't see anyone congraulating him on the Mags move or anything he does well. Is it just me or is all Chicago fans do is complain complain complain. Guys we've lost three in a row we are fine.

Good move with Maggs, but he's still an idiot.

baggio202
05-12-2002, 09:48 PM
i agree walking erstad and pitching to glaus was the right move...erstad is a stud...it didnt workout but there is no gaurentee foulke gets erstad either..and if he got a hit then atleast i would be screaming at manuel for walking erstad...he is the best player in that line up..the one guy i dont let beat me..plus the walk also set up forces at 1st ,2nd and 3rd...since the runner on first didnt count it gave us a better chance on a force on a ball hit in the hole...we know clayton cant throw anyone out from the hole

kermittheefrog
05-12-2002, 09:56 PM

Okay I think this is legitimately the worst move possible. No one who thinks this move isn't that bad is respecting Glaus here. This is a guy who for the last two years has been in the AL top five in walks, homers and extra base hits. He's a legit star who doesn't get enough attention. If Manuel had done something like this to get to Nomar or Arod or Giambi you guys would be just as pissed as I am you know it. Glaus is almost on that level. This was a frickin stupid move. There is nothing to explain it. You NEVER EVER put the bat in the hands of a team's best hitter with the game on the line. There is no justifying it.

baggio202
05-12-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Okay I think this is legitimately the worst move possible. No one who thinks this move isn't that bad is respecting Glaus here. This is a guy who for the last two years has been in the AL top five in walks, homers and extra base hits. He's a legit star who doesn't get enough attention. If Manuel had done something like this to get to Nomar or Arod or Giambi you guys would be just as pissed as I am you know it. Glaus is almost on that level. This was a frickin stupid move. There is nothing to explain it. You NEVER EVER put the bat in the hands of a team's best hitter with the game on the line. There is no justifying it.

in that situation i think erstad is the better hitter....you put up the power stats but a homer wasnt called for in that situation....just a single...if it was a 2 run game..then yes..you pitch to erstad...you get the righty /righty match up and you also set up forces by walking erstad...

you say the one guy you dont let beat you is glaus on the angels..i say its erstad cause he is clutch...someone else might say garrett anderson the way he hits us...i guess its a no win situation...the angels have a real good top in their batting order...so anyone of them can beat you if all thats requried is a single

GASHWOUND
05-12-2002, 11:25 PM

How about instead of blaming JM, why don't you blame Foulke for not getting Glause out? There's a new idea

RedPinStripes
05-12-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

How about instead of blaming JM, why don't you blame Foulke for not getting Glause out? There's a new idea

Why was foulke pitching the 9th? we all know he's terrible unless it's a save situation. Another move i don't like.

I saw a few games from behind the sox dugout last year vs. the angels and i'm convinced that Glause has one of the most dangerous bats in baseball. you don't see many hit shots as hard as he hits. Is it me? or is he a Sox killer? he always seems to hit very well vs. the sox

GASHWOUND
05-12-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Why was foulke pitching the 9th? we all know he's terrible unless it's a save situation. Another move i don't like.

I saw a few games from behind the sox dugout last year vs. the angels and i'm convinced that Glause has one of the most dangerous bats in baseball. you don't see many hit shots as hard as he hits. Is it me? or is he a Sox killer? he always seems to hit very well vs. the sox

Well, Foulke was pitching in the 8th and 9th cause he hasn't really pitched that much and is supposely our best pitcher. And who else would have we put in there? Biddle? I don't know what's up with Foulke and tie ballgames, he sucks in those situations. Actually, alot of closers in the league suck when they get in games just to get work in, and/our in tie games. Especially Foulke. Damn, I'm stil pissed by the HBP,I think Foulke could've gotten him out if that didn't happen and we wouldn't be talking abut any of this...
And how many "Sox killers" are their in the league, its like every game, Hawk brings up a "Sox killer" that the team has. I'm starting to think there's at least 100 "Sox killers" in the league

WhiteSoxWinner
05-12-2002, 11:59 PM
Tampa does not have a legitmate "Sox Kiler", but I understand that they are in the market for one and hope to have the deal done before they play us. Although, much like the rest of the ineptitude of the Tampa franchise, they will get him AFTER they finish playing us. I didn't know that Andy McFail could manage two franchises at once.

Oh crud. We schedule the ticker tape for ending the streak while we're out of town.

RedPinStripes
05-13-2002, 12:05 AM

Well, Foulke was pitching in the 8th and 9th cause he hasn't really pitched that much and is supposely our best pitcher. And who else would have we put in there? Biddle? I don't know what's up with Foulke and tie ballgames, he sucks in those situations. Actually, alot of closers in the league suck when they get in games just to get work in, and/our in tie games. Especially Foulke. Damn, I'm stil pissed by the HBP,I think Foulke could've gotten him out if that didn't happen and we wouldn't be talking abut any of this...
And how many "Sox killers" are their in the league, its like every game, Hawk brings up a "Sox killer" that the team has. I'm starting to think there's at least 100 "Sox killers" in the league

I for one don't think Foulke is our best pitcher. He don't have many pitches and they all depend on if he can fool someone with a changeup. He is our best closer though.

Not that i'd want to be in front of many mlb line drives or 1 hoppers, but i would get the hell out of the way if glause wanted to hit my way. That guy hits some of the hardest ropes i've seen up close.

GASHWOUND
05-13-2002, 12:08 AM

:hawk
'I loooove baseball cliches"

GASHWOUND
05-13-2002, 12:18 AM

I for one don't think Foulke is our best pitcher. He don't have many pitches and they all depend on if he can fool someone with a changeup. He is our best closer though.

Not that i'd want to be in front of many mlb line drives or 1 hoppers, but i would get the hell out of the way if glause wanted to hit my way. That guy hits some of the hardest ropes i've seen up close.

Well, the #'s he has put up the last few years have been phenomenal, so I would still say he is our best bullpen pitcher. And you can be dominating with just 2 pitches. A couple names who have been great with Fastball change-ups are Trevor Hoffman, and recently retired Doug Jones. Jones threw like 84 MPH and had that great change-up and was successful. Hoffman has over 300 career saves just by throwing 2 pitches.

RedPinStripes
05-13-2002, 12:25 AM

Well, the #'s he has put up the last few years have been phenomenal, so I would still say he is our best bullpen pitcher. And you can be dominating with just 2 pitches. A couple names who have been great with Fastball change-ups are Trevor Hoffman, and recently retired Doug Jones. Jones threw like 84 MPH and had that great change-up and was successful. Hoffman has over 300 career saves just by throwing 2 pitches.

good point.

kermittheefrog
05-13-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

in that situation i think erstad is the better hitter....you put up the power stats but a homer wasnt called for in that situation....just a single...if it was a 2 run game..then yes..you pitch to erstad...you get the righty /righty match up and you also set up forces by walking erstad...

you say the one guy you dont let beat you is glaus on the angels..i say its erstad cause he is clutch...someone else might say garrett anderson the way he hits us...i guess its a no win situation...the angels have a real good top in their batting order...so anyone of them can beat you if all thats requried is a single

Darrin Erstad
2001 BA: .258
2001 OBP: .331
2002 BA: 277
2002 OBP: .318

Troy Glaus
2001 BA: .250
2001 OBP: .367
2002 BA: .277
2002 OBP: .351

Who would you rather face?

GASHWOUND
05-13-2002, 01:10 AM

Darrin Erstad

Troy Glaus

Well, obviously Glause is their big bopper, but Glause was not swinging a hot bat this game, and was O-fer while Erstad the previous time had a solid single to drive in the go ahead run against Marte.

Jerry_Manuel
05-13-2002, 08:01 AM

The only people left in the pen were Porzio and Ginter.

Oh yeah, I want Matt Ginter in the game when the cards are down, baby! :D:

RedPinStripes
05-13-2002, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

The only people left in the pen were Porzio and Ginter.

Oh yeah, I want Matt Ginter in the game when the cards are down, baby! :D:
What about biddle? In a tie game, i'll take rockey with the stitches still in his arm from the surgury over foulke.

Jerry_Manuel
05-13-2002, 08:19 AM
What about biddle? In a tie game, i'll take rockey with the stitches still in his arm from the surgury over foulke.

My bad, he was out there. I'm not sure if there allowing him to pitch on back-to-back days yet.

I sure look like an ass. :smile:

RedPinStripes
05-13-2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

My bad, he was out there. I'm not sure if there allowing him to pitch on back-to-back days yet.

I sure look like an ass. :smile:

:ass
I am the only ass around here.

baggio202
05-13-2002, 07:52 PM

Darrin Erstad

Troy Glaus

i dont care what erstad's numbers are...that guy is clutch and always finds a way to beat you...he is the one guy on that team i dont let beat me...btw..in that situation...runners in scoring position with two outs...erstad and glaus both were hitting .333...maybe it was just a no win situation...no matter what manuel did it wasnt gonna work cause we played like **** all series