PDA

View Full Version : What if Carlos were a Cub?

thomas35forever
08-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Mike Imrem of the Daily Herald makes some interesting points in this good read. I have to say he's indisputably right.
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=228565

CashMan
08-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Mike Imrem of the Daily Herald makes some interesting points in this good read. I have to say he's indisputably right.
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=228565

Who is Carlos? I only know of TCQ.

kittle42
08-19-2008, 03:16 PM
It is what it is.

GregO23
08-19-2008, 03:20 PM
He would be MVP, just like he is with the Sox.:D:

turners56
08-19-2008, 03:21 PM
He'll be 50x larger than Fukudome. Jim Hendry or any Cubs fan wouldn't be clever enough to come up with the nickname of TCQ though.

With his lack of humor and tough attitude, I think Carlos Quentin is what he is.

The Chuck Norris of Baseball.

doublem23
08-19-2008, 03:23 PM
That would be the same Carlos Quentin who was just featured on the front page of ESPN.com, right?

btrain929
08-19-2008, 03:24 PM
He'll be 50x larger than Fukudome. Jim Hendry or any Cubs fan wouldn't be clever enough to come up with the nickname of TCQ though.

With his lack of humor and tough attitude, I think Carlos Quentin is what he is.

Well said, I agree.

nccwsfan
08-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Who is Carlos? I only know of TCQ.

Shame on me for missing this, but can someone explain the TCQ nickname? Thanks.

aryzner
08-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Usually I hate Mike Imrem but that was actually kind of readable for once.

Chrisaway
08-19-2008, 03:28 PM

TCQ doesn't sleep, he waits

I want Mags back
08-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Shame on me for missing this, but can someone explain the TCQ nickname? Thanks.

Kenny in one his press conference over spring training explained that he did everything wanted to do this offseason. one thing was acquire Carlos Quentin. "and not someone like Carlos Quentin but THEE Carlos Quentin" or something like that. so it comes from Thee Carlos Quentin

kittle42
08-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Kenny in one his press conference over spring training explained that he did everything wanted to do this offseason. one thing was acquire Carlos Quentin. "and not someone like Carlos Quentin but THEE Carlos Quentin" pr something like that. so it comes from Thee Carlos Quentin

I had that down as possibly the worst quote of the offseason after the "You can't spend a dollar when you only have 50 cents" quote. I'm glad I was wrong.

hawkjt
08-19-2008, 05:51 PM
I love everything about Carlos. How often do you hear the manager(ozzie) say that he should look in the mirror and try to be more like the 25 year old new guy? LOL.
Carlos is like a young guy with an old soul. Wise,humble,fierce, generous...just a perfect teammate.

BadBobbyJenks
08-20-2008, 12:16 AM
I had that down as possibly the worst quote of the offseason after the "You can't spend a dollar when you only have 50 cents" quote. I'm glad I was wrong.

When do you retire the Fiscal Responsibility Champions quote? After we clinch?

BadBobbyJenks
08-20-2008, 12:17 AM
I have to say at the same time some Sox fans would say be saying he is the second coming of Jose Canseco and is on the juice.

SpartanSoxFan
08-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Imrem is a tool. I guess I agree with his notion that TCQ would get more notoriety if he were a Flub. But he is still a tool.

Nellie_Fox
08-20-2008, 12:35 AM
I have to say at the same time some Sox fans would say be saying he is the second coming of Jose Canseco and is on the juice.And they would be *******s. As soon as they have some evidence, they can run their mouths.

WhiteSox5187
08-20-2008, 01:11 AM
I have to say at the same time some Sox fans would say be saying he is the second coming of Jose Canseco and is on the juice.
We probably wouldn't like him but it's not like this is Sosa circa '02-'03 when it was an open secret as to who was on steroids and who wasn't. Quentin would have come up in the first year there was testing, would have played in the minors when there was testing throughout and put up equally great numbers. It's not like Quentin is a guy who hit .220 with fourteen homeruns in five total major league seasons. This is his first full season without being injured and when he first came up he was expected to put up these sort of numbers. If we flash back to 2005 when he came up and asked scouts "Would you be surprised if in three years Quentin is hitting 35+ HRs with 96 RBIs?" I think a lot of scouts would have said that it wasn't totally out of the question. It's not like this guy was supposed to be a fleet footed shortstop.

TDog
08-20-2008, 01:21 AM
I think the column exaggerates Carlos Quentin's anonymity. Granted, when I was in Chicago in June, I saw people Fukudome jerseys, and I didn't see any Quentin jerseys away from the Cell. So what if having a great opening day on the Cubs does more for jersey sales than having a great season for the White Sox.

But I saw someone wearing a Carlos Quentin jersey in a Modesto, California, supermarket a couple of week ago. Fans around the country have noticed Carlos Quentin. He's been leading the league in home runs for much of the season. People have noticed.

DSpivack
08-20-2008, 01:59 AM
I think the column exaggerates Carlos Quentin's anonymity. Granted, when I was in Chicago in June, I saw people Fukudome jerseys, and I didn't see any Quentin jerseys away from the Cell. So what if having a great opening day on the Cubs does more for jersey sales than having a great season for the White Sox.

But I saw someone wearing a Carlos Quentin jersey in a Modesto, California, supermarket a couple of week ago. Fans around the country have noticed Carlos Quentin. He's been leading the league in home runs for much of the season. People have noticed.

You weren't looking in a mirror, were you? :tongue:

hawkjt
08-20-2008, 09:57 AM
I have to guess that Carlos has west coast fans who have followed him from his stellar exploits in HS in San Diego in both baseball and football and then at Stanford. He is like Jack Armstrong...strong silent hero type.

doublem23
08-20-2008, 10:16 AM

While I'm not denying that Quentin is recieving a lot of notoriety around the country (during the Sox highlights last night, BBTN said Quentin "had to be" the AL MVP), but TCQ is a California guy; born in Bellflower and went to Stanford, so I'm betting his popularity in California is higher than average.

Iwritecode
08-20-2008, 10:28 AM
While I'm not denying that Quentin is recieving a lot of notoriety around the country (during the Sox highlights last night, BBTN said Quentin "had to be" the AL MVP), but TCQ is a California guy; born in Bellflower and went to Stanford, so I'm betting his popularity in California is higher than average.

FWIW, I had The Score on while driving home yesterday and one of their reporters (I think it was Jesse Rogers) was saying that he sent an email out to a bunch of other reporters from around the country and asked them who their top 3 votes for MVP were if the season ended today.

Every single one that replied had TCQ as their number 1 vote. A few of the other guys mentioned were Justin Morneau, Joe Mauer, Kevin Youkilis and Josh Hamilton.

turners56
08-20-2008, 10:49 AM
I suck at Photoshop, somebody said this pic made TCQ look like a terrorist...

http://acx.prospero.com/dir-bbcard/242/qs;cache=n/1574696775.icon

TDog
08-20-2008, 11:59 AM

I know Quentin has Northern California roots. The fact that I live in Northern California and have been to just five White Sox games in Northern California and one in Chicago this year might qualify me as someone who doesn't get out much. But the kids looking for autographs certainly know who Quentin is when he is wearing a name-less warmup jersey. The people on the sports radio talk about Quentin and Dye (who also has NoCal roots) being MVP candidates even when the Sox aren't in the area. If the Sox win the Central and Quentin leads the league in home runs, I expect him to be named the MVP, the way I hear people talk.

And while there is Cubs love all over the place, I don't hear any Cubs player talked about nearly as much as I hear people talking about Quentin. But as I said, I haven't sampled a broad swath of the nation.

And I don't own a Quentin jersey.

BadBobbyJenks
08-20-2008, 07:44 PM
And they would be *******s. As soon as they have some evidence, they can run their mouths.

Completely agree, but you know it is true. Hell we have people questioning Swisher and some posters are pointing the finger at Soto because he came out of no where.

Boondock Saint
08-20-2008, 07:51 PM
The one thing I know to be sure is that if TCQ were a Cub, Cub fans wouldn't be making so many damned excuses as to why Fukudome has been barely average for the better part of the season.

cws05champ
08-20-2008, 08:20 PM
The one thing I know to be sure is that if TCQ were a Cub, Cub fans wouldn't be making so many damned excuses as to why Fukudome has been barely average for the better part of the season.
They could have traded for Mark Teahan and got the same production as Fukudome!!

If Carlos were a Cub I would hate him....for being so damn good for THEM and not for us!

WHITE SOX PRIDE!
08-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Mvp either way. He was meant for the sox though.

WhiteSox5187
08-21-2008, 03:12 AM
And they would be *******s. As soon as they have some evidence, they can run their mouths.
What exactly would you call evidence? For example we have no real solid evidence Sosa ever used steroids outside of the large rise and fall in his numbers during the steroid era, the same is true for McGwire, Bonds and Clemens...yet I don't feel compelled to say "Ah, well, we don't have any evidence on them..."

RadioheadRocks
08-21-2008, 03:55 AM
The comments following the column are even more interesting, especially those coming from the "sheep". :rolling::rolling::rolling:

TommyJohn
08-21-2008, 04:47 AM
The comments following the column are even more interesting, especially those coming from the "sheep". :rolling::rolling::rolling:

I just read them. That's five minutes of my life I'll never have back.

asindc
08-21-2008, 08:21 AM

I don't get why they are so proud of their attendance trophies.:rolleyes:

turners56
08-21-2008, 11:01 AM

Typical Cubs fans...Jesus Christ, what dumbasses.

"The Sox don't fill their ballpark" - 12 sellouts, #4 overall attendance in the AL
"Sox won't make the playoffs" - What does Cubs stand for again?
"Quentin is on roids, he hit 5 homers last year" - ...

Cubs fans = ignorant. I think Webster will have a new entry coming very soon.

MeteorsSox4367
08-21-2008, 11:20 AM
IF TCQ were a Cub, there would already be a statue in front of Wrigley, ESPN would do an in-depth behind the scenes look at him, and WGN would interview celeb Cub fans who would go on and on about TCQ and what he's meant to the greatest franchise and greatest fans on the face of the Earth.

Luckily for Sox fans, he's OUR left fielder for hopefully the next decade and he's going to win the MVP this season.

Ziggy S
08-23-2008, 11:40 PM
I know I'd be saying only Jimbo could trade some anonymous A ball FIRST BASEMAN for a PRIME PROSECT injured or not. We would all be shouting HENDRY THE THIEF strikes again.

Madscout
08-24-2008, 12:36 AM
What exactly would you call evidence? For example we have no real solid evidence Sosa ever used steroids outside of the large rise and fall in his numbers during the steroid era, the same is true for McGwire, Bonds and Clemens...yet I don't feel compelled to say "Ah, well, we don't have any evidence on them..."
I don't believe that there is any rise or fall on Quentin's numbers when he isn't injured. So there is straight up no evidence, let alone solid evidence.

whitesox901
08-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Blasphemy!

Madscout
08-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Typical Cubs fans...Jesus Christ, what dumbasses.

"The Sox don't fill their ballpark" - 12 sellouts, #4 overall attendance in the AL
"Sox won't make the playoffs" - What does Cubs stand for again?
"Quentin is on roids, he hit 5 homers last year" - ...

Cubs fans = ignorant. I think Webster will have a new entry coming very soon.
Sell outs at our park never look like sellouts at that dump. There is actually stuff to do at our park if you don't want to watch the game. Rest assured, there park would look empty if they had a fan deck and fundamentals and a concourse and such... nobody watches the games there.

Lefty34
08-24-2008, 06:20 PM
TCQ doesn't sleep, he waits

TCQ doesn't run to get fly balls, they come to him.

turners56
08-24-2008, 07:11 PM
TCQ doesn't run to get fly balls, they come to him.

If TCQ were a pitcher, he would never throw a ball, he's always in control.

Lefty34
08-24-2008, 07:45 PM
If TCQ were a pitcher, he would never throw a ball, he's always in control.

They called it the Dead Ball Era because TCQ wasn't born yet.

turners56
08-24-2008, 08:12 PM
They called it the Dead Ball Era because TCQ wasn't born yet.

If TCQ had 36 homers and you had 36 homers, TCQ would have more homers than you.

Rocky Soprano
08-24-2008, 08:26 PM
If TCQ had 36 homers and you had 36 homers, TCQ would have more homers than you.

Awesome! :D:

turners56
08-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Maybe we can do some Dos Equis lines too.

TCQ - "I don't always homer, but when I do, I prefer late and close situations"

:D:

Lefty34
08-24-2008, 10:01 PM

TCQ recently had his jaw line insured.

thomas35forever
08-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Maybe we can do some Dos Equis lines too.

TCQ - "I don't always homer, but when I do, I prefer late and close situations"

:D:
Don't forget the tagline: "Stay homer-hungry, my friends."

Lefty34
08-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Ok since we're going Dos Equis-style:

TCQ's Organ Donor Card also lists his copy of the Mitchell Report.

Stay Clutch-Hungry, My Friends.

gobears1987
08-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Don't forget the tagline: "Stay homer-hungry, my friends."
That is a very dangerous idea with our offense.

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2008, 12:30 AM

Stay Clutch-Hungry, My Friends.It lists his magnificent mane of hair.

Tekijawa
08-25-2008, 11:56 AM
If he played for the Cubs he'd still be in the minor leagues, like he almost was with us to start the season. And he would most likely be injurred.

You also have to think, when is the last time the Cubs traded FOR a minor leaguer? Usually they trade them away to get the major league player.

eriqjaffe
08-25-2008, 12:12 PM
You also have to think, when is the last time the Cubs traded FOR a minor leaguer?Ironically, the answer is August 7, when they acquired Brian Schlitter (http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=34300) for Scott Eyre.

...but it does seem like they're constantly trading prospects away.

NLaloosh
08-25-2008, 01:42 PM
If Carlos were playing this way for the flubbies right now......he'd already have his own chain of restaurants in Chicago.

DSpivack
08-25-2008, 01:58 PM
It lists his magnificent mane of hair.

TCQ=Samson?

turners56
08-25-2008, 04:48 PM

Stay Clutch-Hungry, My Friends.

He is, the most dangerous clutch hitter in the world.

ImaGrinder
08-26-2008, 11:10 AM
If he were on the Cubs we'd be complaining how he has no class because he flips his bat overly aggresive sometimes and berating his sometimes awkward defense out in LF.

Oh, and the fact that it looks like he's taking a dump in the batter's box would have definitely come into play.