PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for "in your ear" Eckstein!

Foulke You
05-12-2002, 08:50 PM
Is anyone else pissed at these little $#!ts who stick their knee out on an inside pitch that is barely inside and take their base? The Cards' Fernando Vina did this Busch League crap to us a bunch of times last year on us and I'm sick of it! They do it because they know they can get away with it. 20 or 30 years ago if a guy did that they'd get a 90mph heater right at their head the next time up. These days pitchers seem to let that crap go a lot more.

Eckstein's coming to Comiskey on Friday and I want the Sox to DRILL HIM on the 1st at bat. When a guy makes no effort to move out of the way and he's hanging over the inside part of the plate then he obviously wants to get hit! Give him what he wants and drill him in the back on a fastball. Make him think twice about doing that again. I'm not making excuses for Manuel or Foulke but I hate losing because of a $#!t play like that.

CerberusWG
05-12-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Is anyone else pissed at these little $#!ts who stick their knee out on an inside pitch that is barely inside and take their base? The Cards' Fernando Vina did this Busch League crap to us a bunch of times last year on us and I'm sick of it! They do it because they know they can get away with it. 20 or 30 years ago if a guy did that they'd get a 90mph heater right at their head the next time up. These days pitchers seem to let that crap go a lot more.

Eckstein's coming to Comiskey on Friday and I want the Sox to DRILL HIM on the 1st at bat. When a guy makes no effort to move out of the way and he's hanging over the inside part of the plate then he obviously wants to get hit! Give him what he wants and drill him in the back on a fastball. Make him think twice about doing that again. I'm not making excuses for Manuel or Foulke but I hate losing because of a $#!t play like that.

Amen!

GASHWOUND
05-12-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

I was thinking exactly your sentiment a couple minutes after he was hit, if he wants to get hit...lets really hit him and maybe he'll think twice about doing it again. Can't even believe they didn'targue that play, you're suppose to make an ATTEMPT to get out of the way, he didn't even move, but stuck out his leg farther. What kinda crap is that? sheesh

baggio202
05-12-2002, 09:38 PM
in '00 i e - mailed hawk and dj about vina on this same subject..showing the same frustrations you guys are...he read mine on the air (the only time thats ever happened after sending numerous e -mails) and this is what he said...

a guy like vina (and eckstien) are not gonna beat you deep...you pitch them away away away and overpower them..wehn you come inside you know if you miss off the plate they will take the pitch and get hit...so in key situations (tie game late) you make them hit their way on and dont come in off the plate and give them a chance to get hbp...because even if they get a hit its 90% chance of being a single and thats no different than a base on balls..

so in that situation we ought to be asking foulke what the hell he was doing pitching inside to eckstein knowing if he missed in he would let himself get hit??..foulke's been around long enough to know not to do that..

i understand guys like eckstein and vina doing that...doing the little things like that is the only way they can keep a job in the majors...look at tony g...in that same situation if tony was up im sure he would have done the same thing..and we wouldnt be bitching about it

HawkDJ
05-12-2002, 10:23 PM
http://anaheim.angels.mlb.com/ana/photo/ph_play_mugshot_275930.jpg
Oops!

I was just trying to get on base any way I could, especially in that situation," Eckstein said. "I saw the changeup when I strided, and I didn't think it was going to hit me. But it dove in on me. I was probably surprised as anybody else."