PDA

View Full Version : Suspended game vs. Baltimore -- who starts the 12th?

seventyseven
08-19-2008, 10:14 AM
We've used Vazquez, Jenks, and Linebrink.

Baltimore has Millar, Huff, and Scott coming up in the top of the inning.

Who do you start in the 12th?

I'm guessing Thornton is probably the best answer, as Huff and Scott are lefties. Otherwise, you could have Dotel pitch to Millar, and then use Thornton.

Btw, we have Quentin, Crede (?), and Anderson due up the bottom of the inning.

BringBackBlkJack
08-19-2008, 10:17 AM
I vote Thorny.

Cangelosi CF
08-19-2008, 10:21 AM
I vote Thorny.
the other day about how he asked for a few days off. He definitely has come back much sharper since that break.

anewman35
08-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Huff got ejected, didn't he?

UofCSoxFan
08-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Huff got ejected, didn't he?

You are correct.

I think a lot depends on who is fresh/healthy. DJ Carrasco is another possibility, especially since he can go multiple innings if need be.

fram40
08-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Look at the box score for the suspended game from April 28

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200804280.shtml

Wow - how far this team has come ... look at the lineup before TCQ moved to #3. It seems like a different team.

Does anyone remember why Uribe replaced Ramirez at second in the 9th? Not complaining obviously - as Uribe hit the tying homer in the 11th off Sherrill. It's just interesting to see how this team has grown since the end of April.

JohnTucker0814
08-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Look at the box score for the suspended game from April 28

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200804280.shtml

Wow - how far this team has come ... look at the lineup before TCQ moved to #3. It seems like a different team.

Does anyone remember why Uribe replaced Ramirez at second in the 9th? Not complaining obviously - as Uribe hit the tying homer in the 11th off Sherrill. It's just interesting to see how this team has grown since the end of April.

Uribe used to come in as a defensive replacement. I'm assuming since we had the lead going into the 9th that is why Uribe was at 2nd... how things have changed! =)

voodoochile
08-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Floyd is scheduled to start the night game provided they use the day off Thursday to bump the rotation (I assume they will). I say hand him the ball and hope for a quick run. Then he can cool for 30 minutes and come out to start the regularly scheduled game. Have Broadway/Richard up with the team just in case Floyd is forced to go 5 finishing up.

That's actually pretty traditional. Most teams would start their regular starter and hope for the best. Why burn out the bullpen when you've got a night game coming?

UofCSoxFan
08-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Uribe used to come in as a defensive replacement. I'm assuming since we had the lead going into the 9th that is why Uribe was at 2nd... how things have changed! =)

Back in April Uribe was still the starting 2nd baseman. He had a day off and Alexei was given a rare start. Keep in mind that Alexei hit .121 in April. At that time, Uribe was probably both an offensive and defensive upgrade.

UofCSoxFan
08-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Floyd is scheduled to start the night game provided they use the day off Thursday to bump the rotation (I assume they will). I say hand him the ball and hope for a quick run. Then he can cool for 30 minutes and come out to start the regularly scheduled game. Have Broadway/Richard up with the team just in case Floyd is forced to go 5 finishing up.

That's actually pretty traditional. Most teams would start their regular starter and hope for the best. Why burn out the bullpen when you've got a night game coming?

I think this is another possibility. Back in college, from time to time, we would use our starter for game 2 of a doubleheader as the closer in game 1 (this was for big games at the end of the year). The only risk you run is what if the game lasts 3 or 4 more innings? You would need to start someone else in game two.

voodoochile
08-19-2008, 11:13 AM
I think this is another possibility. Back in college, from time to time, we would use our starter for game 2 of a doubleheader as the closer in game 1 (this was for big games at the end of the year). The only risk you run is what if the game lasts 3 or 4 more innings? You would need to start someone else in game two.

Yeah, and they will need a 5th starter on Tuesday unless Danks and Vazquez are willing to go on short rest (not a good idea, IMO). Push comes to shove, you try to give Carrasco Sat and Sun off and then he'd be available for 3-5 on Monday.

LoveYourSuit
08-19-2008, 11:16 AM
I would start DJ and have him go for as long as the game goes.

This way the bullpen is not spent for game 2.

nccwsfan
08-19-2008, 11:17 AM

I would agree with this reasoning. I remember Tom Seaver winning a doubleheader in 84'- the first game was a continuation of the 25 inning game and the second game was his scheduled start.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA198405080.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA198405090.shtml

Floyd it is!

cws05champ
08-19-2008, 11:19 AM

We definitely have the advantage since the O's used 6 pitchers already in the game. I would probably start Carrasco ready to go 2-3 Innings and have Ho Ramirez, Thornon, Dotel ready if needed. While I don't want to burn the pen, I don't think I'd want Floyd to get warm and then wait to start the next game, and it may not end quickly so he would be burned for the night game.

We'll probably slide Uribe to 3B and play Getz at 2nd as well since Crede will not be back. So we'll have Quentin, Getz, BA (and hopefully Uribe, Swisher) up in the 12th.

hawkjt
08-19-2008, 11:21 AM
That will be Clayton Richard's turn in the rotation to pitch the second game. Go with Carrasco in the first and hope he can finish it.
Not a lot of options here,imo. Whoever it is has to throw strikes right away, that makes me lean toward a reliever.

voodoochile
08-19-2008, 11:28 AM
That will be Clayton Richard's turn in the rotation to pitch the second game. Go with Carrasco in the first and hope he can finish it.
Not a lot of options here,imo. Whoever it is has to throw strikes right away, that makes me lean toward a reliever.

I imagine the Sox are going to be skipping the 5th slot as often as they can. This is one of those times. They can reduce 5th slot starts by 1 over the next week with two days off. If they let the 5th starter start Monday, they are effectively saying, we don't care and will just continue with 5 man rotation, which is silly.

Dan Mega
08-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Throw Floyd in there and don't let his pitch count go up.

voodoochile
08-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Throw Floyd in there and don't let his pitch count go up.

No, if you put Floyd in, he finishes the game regardless of how long it goes, IMO. You can't ask him to go 3 then take an hour break and come back out to start the night game. If he ends up burning his pitch count in the first game, you give the ball to the 5th starter (skipped on Thursday) for the PM game and then send him down and recall the other guy for Tuesday (should be traveling with the team to be safe).

UofCSoxFan
08-19-2008, 12:01 PM
No, if you put Floyd in, he finishes the game regardless of how long it goes, IMO. You can't ask him to go 3 then take an hour break and come back out to start the night game. If he ends up burning his pitch count in the first game, you give the ball to the 5th starter (skipped on Thursday) for the PM game and then send him down and recall the other guy for Tuesday (should be traveling with the team to be safe).

If you go the Floyd route that's exatctly what you'd have to do. Once he goes more than 3, IMO he's done for game 2.

White City
08-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Isn't the obvious answer Adam Russell?

Who better than "The Vulture" to secure a cheapo win for us from the 'pen?

BringBackBlkJack
08-19-2008, 12:16 PM
If you go the Floyd route that's exatctly what you'd have to do. Once he goes more than 3, IMO he's done for game 2.

And that's where the problem lies. There is no guarantee how long the game is going to go. Relievers are used to this mindset as they have to come in for short periods of time regularly. Starters, I would tend to believe are used to having a fair amount of mental preparation prior to pitching, and pitch from a completely different mindset than a reliever.

I think throwing a starter in there would be a mistake because if he goes 3-4 innings, someone's gotta step up and be ready to throw the next game. Also, it could essentially bump all of the other starters up a day. And even if a starter comes in and goes two innings, there's going to be a lengthy break in between games. It is for the same reason you do not allow a starter to pitch after an extended rain delay... it messes with their routine. Long time periods of relative inactivity are not a pitcher's friend.

asindc
08-19-2008, 12:28 PM
We definitely have the advantage since the O's used 6 pitchers already in the game. I would probably start Carrasco ready to go 2-3 Innings and have Ho Ramirez, Thornon, Dotel ready if needed. While I don't want to burn the pen, I don't think I'd want Floyd to get warm and then wait to start the next game, and it may not end quickly so he would be burned for the night game.

We'll probably slide Uribe to 3B and play Getz at 2nd as well since Crede will not be back. So we'll have Quentin, Getz, BA (and hopefully Uribe, Swisher) up in the 12th.

Slightly off topic, but is Getz available for this game? I thought only players on the active roster at the time of the original game were eligible.

UofCSoxFan
08-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Slightly off topic, but is Getz available for this game? I thought only players on the active roster at the time of the original game were eligible.

There is a rule that I'm too lazy to look up that identifies this specifically. Anyone on your active roster is eligible, even people that were on the DL or AAA when the game started. The only people that are not eligible are people that were already removed/ejected from the game.

You actually could have had a quirk where had we traded for Brian Roberts, he could have played for both us and the Orioles in the same game.

UofCSoxFan
08-19-2008, 12:36 PM
And that's where the problem lies. There is no guarantee how long the game is going to go. Relievers are used to this mindset as they have to come in for short periods of time regularly. Starters, I would tend to believe are used to having a fair amount of mental preparation prior to pitching, and pitch from a completely different mindset than a reliever.

I think throwing a starter in there would be a mistake because if he goes 3-4 innings, someone's gotta step up and be ready to throw the next game. Also, it could essentially bump all of the other starters up a day. And even if a starter comes in and goes two innings, there's going to be a lengthy break in between games. It is for the same reason you do not allow a starter to pitch after an extended rain delay... it messes with their routine. Long time periods of relative inactivity are not a pitcher's friend.

It's definitely a risk as you could lose game 1 and then have to use a spot start guy in game 2. I'd be more inclined to go with Carrasco because of this. But if it works out, where you score right away and end it after 1, it could be genious.

MisterB
08-19-2008, 12:42 PM

No, otherwise there might not be enough eligible players left for either team due to players having been traded/injured/demoted in the mean time. The only Sox players ineligible for the game are Alexei, Vazquez and Jenks because they have already been substituted for.

gf2020
08-19-2008, 01:52 PM
The game resumes Monday, August 25th.

The White Sox only ineligible players are Alexei Ramirez, Javier Vazquez, Scott Linebrink and Bobby Jenks.

The Orioles, on the other hand, have used up Guillermo Quiroz, Jay Payton, Luiz Hernandez, Dennis Sarfate, Jim Johnson, Jamie Walker and Chad Bradford. George Sherrill is currently their pitcher, but they may not start with him.

The lineups essentially are:

Millar 1B
Huff DH
Scott LF
Montanez CF (likely sub for Jones who will still probably be out with a broken foot.)
Cintron/Castro SS (subbing for Fahey who is in Norfolk)
Hernandez C
Roberts 2B
Mora 3B
Markakis RF

Quentin LF
Getz 2B (Subbing for Crede)
Anderson CF
Uribe 3B
Swisher RF
Cabrera SS
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Pierzysnki C

I too would go with DJC for as long as possible. I think there is a chance that Dye pinch hits for Anderson in the bottom half.

anewman35
08-19-2008, 01:57 PM
. I think there is a chance that Dye pinch hits for Anderson in the bottom half.

Not if Carlos hits a walk-off first...

It's Dankerific
08-19-2008, 02:05 PM
We owe Gavin an easy win. Let him pitch the top of the inning, get him the win.

Also, let the poor boy bat (BA) =)

UofCSoxFan
08-19-2008, 02:35 PM
The game resumes Monday, August 25th.

The White Sox only ineligible players are Alexei Ramirez, Javier Vazquez, Scott Linebrink and Bobby Jenks.

The Orioles, on the other hand, have used up Guillermo Quiroz, Jay Payton, Luiz Hernandez, Dennis Sarfate, Jim Johnson, Jamie Walker and Chad Bradford. George Sherrill is currently their pitcher, but they may not start with him.

The lineups essentially are:

Millar 1B
Huff DH
Scott LF
Montanez CF (likely sub for Jones who will still probably be out with a broken foot.)
Cintron/Castro SS (subbing for Fahey who is in Norfolk)
Hernandez C
Roberts 2B
Mora 3B
Markakis RF

Quentin LF
Getz 2B (Subbing for Crede)
Anderson CF
Uribe 3B
Swisher RF
Cabrera SS
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Pierzysnki C

I too would go with DJC for as long as possible. I think there is a chance that Dye pinch hits for Anderson in the bottom half.

Huff was ejected in the 12th. He's out. And Linebrink isn't out as of yet. He pitched the top of the 12th and is still in the game.

oeo
08-19-2008, 02:37 PM
And Linebrink isn't out as of yet. He pitched the top of the 12th and is still in the game.

No wonder his shoulder is bothering him.

kittle42
08-19-2008, 03:13 PM

Ha! Great post!

kba
08-19-2008, 03:15 PM
What's the etiquette on uniforms for a game like this? Do the Sox wear their home whites, since they're technically the home team?

anewman35
08-19-2008, 03:16 PM
What's the etiquette on uniforms for a game like this? Do the Sox wear their home whites, since they're technically the home team?

I don't think there really is one. I highly doubt they bring their home uniforms for (possibly) one inning.

nccwsfan
08-19-2008, 03:20 PM

They'll probably wear the black uni for the first game and switch to the road greys for the second game. Or they might continue wearing the black unis.

DSpivack
08-19-2008, 03:24 PM
They'll probably wear the black uni for the first game and switch to the road greys for the second game. Or they might continue wearing the black unis.

I would expect them to wear the road uniforms for both games. It'd be rather stupid to wear uniforms for what would be one inning.

turners56
08-19-2008, 03:25 PM

:redneck

gobears1987
08-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Russell needs to start the 12th so we can guarantee a walk-off in the bottom half.

Foulke You
08-19-2008, 04:53 PM
I envision Carlos getting the 1st walkoff by a non-Orioles player at Camden Yards as well. Monday is a potential huge day for the Sox. If they can get 2 wins on Monday, that will put tons of pressure on Minnesota to win a late west coast game in Seattle where they didn't play well before.

BadBobbyJenks
08-19-2008, 05:09 PM
I vote Russel for the vulture and a TCQ walkoff winner. Then on to game 2.

lpneck
08-19-2008, 05:22 PM
We owe Gavin an easy win. Let him pitch the top of the inning, get him the win.

Also, let the poor boy bat (BA) =)

No way that BA bats in this game. Dye is on the bench. Carlos singles to lead off the bottom of the 12th, Getz bunts him over, JD hits for BA and gets the game winning hit.

If the game goes to the 13th Swisher moves to center and JD plays right.

It's Dankerific
08-19-2008, 05:30 PM
No way that BA bats in this game. Dye is on the bench. Carlos singles to lead off the bottom of the 12th, Getz bunts him over, JD hits for BA and gets the game winning hit.

If the game goes to the 13th Swisher moves to center and JD plays right.

I know the realities. I still have my dreams.

voodoochile
08-19-2008, 05:54 PM
I know the realities. I still have my dreams.

Most of us call those nightmares.

:ohno
"It was the bottom of the 12th. It was a pennant race. We were playing the Orioles and TCQ led off with a double. Getz bunted him to third with Anderson on deck. Dye was on the bench unused, but Ozzie let BA hit... (sob)... HE LET HIM HIT!!! Fortunately, that's when I woke up, but the sheets were soaked and I had to drink a double shot and take a warm bath before I could stop shaking and go back to bed."

:tongue:

It's Dankerific
08-19-2008, 06:15 PM
You guys might be in for a hard awakening come 2009. Yesterday, Hawk and DJ were talking how BA was too good to be a 4th OF. Hawk saying he'll be starting somewhere, DJ saying how about here. Then, the tribune beat writer talking about BA playing next year too. its an avalanche, AND ITS COMING!!!!!

Anyways, I certainly won't bitch if Dye PHs for BA with a runner in scoring position. I just hope that if there is not a runner in scoring position, we let BA hit instead of hoping JD hits a HR. I'd rather pinch hit Dye the first time there is a scoring opportunity.

Most of us call those nightmares.

:ohno
"It was the bottom of the 12th. It was a pennant race. We were playing the Orioles and TCQ led off with a double. Getz bunted him to third with Anderson on deck. Dye was on the bench unused, but Ozzie let BA hit... (sob)... HE LET HIM HIT!!! Fortunately, that's when I woke up, but the sheets were soaked and I had to drink a double shot and take a warm bath before I could stop shaking and go back to bed."

:tongue:

SoxGirl4Life
08-19-2008, 06:29 PM
This was the game with the botched suicide squeeze, right?

LoveYourSuit
08-19-2008, 06:36 PM

Another reason why Ozzie should be fired for leaving him in there that long. Keeping a guy in there for almost 4 months, what the hell was he thinking.

anewman35
08-19-2008, 06:38 PM
O's put George Sherrill on the DL today, so they'll need to use a new pitcher for sure.

ChiTownTrojan
08-19-2008, 11:04 PM
I don't see anything wrong with going with Floyd to start game 1. If it lasts 4 more innings and he ends up throwing 50-60 pitches, so what? Put him back in game 2 for another 40. It's not like winning the second game is any more important than winning the first. If he only needs to go one inning, all the better because he'll last further into game 2.

This is of course provided that there isn't a long break between the two games, but I would think that it being a makeup game, they would try to get game 2 going as quick as possible.

EuroSox35
08-20-2008, 12:24 AM
I would like to use the 5th starter. I think using Floyd would be terrible

chisoxfan79
08-20-2008, 02:18 AM
This was the game with the botched suicide squeeze, right?
Correct, Just think BA gets that bunt down were not having this disscussion right now. I remember because I was one of those 3 a**holes sitting in the OF and missed catching Ramon Hernandez's Hr in the 11th

RockJock07
08-20-2008, 02:24 AM
Side note, will the game be aired on TV at all, or just radio. Also, what if the game goes another 5 innings. Do they start the game way late or play a doubleheader the next day. This whole thing is really crazy.

anewman35
08-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Side note, will the game be aired on TV at all, or just radio. Also, what if the game goes another 5 innings. Do they start the game way late or play a doubleheader the next day. This whole thing is really crazy.

Yes, it'll be on TV. WCIU, I think, but I'm not positive about that, I'm sure more word will come out in the next few days. And I'm sure that as long as the first game finishes under 3 hours or so, they'd play the second - it's not unheardof to start games at 9 or 10 due to rain, so I don't see why they'd have a problem with it in this situtation.

nccwsfan
08-20-2008, 06:58 AM

The second game would be played- it would more than likely start 30 minutes after the conclusion of the first game. I'll be there for both White Sox winners.:smile:

hawkjt
08-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Start time for the first game is 5:05 and it is on TV.
I note that all-star closer for Baltimore,Sherrill, went on the 15 day disabled list yesterday so we will not be facing him next week.

chisoxmike
08-20-2008, 07:09 PM
For some reason, I'm really looking forward to this game. :gulp:

russ99
08-20-2008, 07:29 PM

It's going to be really weird seeing us as the home team in an opposing park. Have the Sox done that before??

DSpivack
08-20-2008, 07:53 PM
It's going to be really weird seeing us as the home team in an opposing park. Have the Sox done that before??

I believe it's only happened a handful of times before in MLB history, let alone Sox history.

Hitmen77
08-20-2008, 08:21 PM

I believe it's only happened a handful of times before in MLB history, let alone Sox history.

I seems to recall wayyyy back in my childhood that the Sox once played a game at Comiskey Park vs. Cleveland that started at 10:00 in the morning and where the Indians had the last at-bats. This must have been in '77 or '78. Can anyone confirm this?

getonbckthr
08-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Pinch hit Griffey for Crede. If their is a 13th then Getz goes for Crede/Griffey.

Max Power
08-20-2008, 08:47 PM

We played a bunch of home games in Milwaukee in the 70's.

jcw218
08-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Pinch hit Griffey for Crede. If their is a 13th then Getz goes for Crede/Griffey.

The game resumes with the Sox on defense. As was mentioned earlier, Uribe probably goes to 3b and Getz goes to 2B.

gf2020
08-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Trib is reporting that a reliever will indeed start the suspended game. Richard, Broadway or Haeger will start the full game after and Floyd will pitch Tuesday.

I'd rather pitch Floyd Monday. No telling how long the suspended game will go and how much of the bullpen will have to be used. Floyd would probably give us six at least if he started Monday night.

hawkjt
08-20-2008, 11:53 PM
I would rather give Gavin the extra day of rest. We must baby our Big Four as much as possible cus if one of them goes down,we are truly screwed. And Richard will be working on 6 days rest instead of a whole week. It is a gamble and I suppose you could make the decision between games(but I doubt it) ,so the sox need to win that first game quickly or it could be a long nite. It will be a two-fer nite and fraught with implications.Hope the Sox do not have a letdown after playing the current best team in MLB this weekend. Hope they show they can hit against good pitching.

chisoxfan79
08-21-2008, 12:27 PM
I too am looking foward to this game just because I was at this game and was there the whole time till it got suspended damn that was a sh**ty day.

Mod Edit: This is a language filter violation. You can get your account suspended for attempting to self censor. Just type the word and let the filter do it's job, please.

Foulke You
08-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Yes, it'll be on TV. WCIU, I think, but I'm not positive about that, I'm sure more word will come out in the next few days. And I'm sure that as long as the first game finishes under 3 hours or so, they'd play the second - it's not unheardof to start games at 9 or 10 due to rain, so I don't see why they'd have a problem with it in this situtation.
I'm going to be in Boston next week. Will a sports bar with the MLB Extra Innings package be able to pick up WCIU or the Orioles feed for both games? Just thought I might be able to convince the wife to have dinner at a sports bar that night and catch two Sox games for 1. :cool:

hula
08-21-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm going to be at Monday and Tuesday nights game. Got great seats behind the plate. Looking forward to seeing our guys up close and personal!!

nccwsfan
08-21-2008, 09:31 PM
I seems to recall wayyyy back in my childhood that the Sox once played a game at Comiskey Park vs. Cleveland that started at 10:00 in the morning and where the Indians had the last at-bats. This must have been in '77 or '78. Can anyone confirm this?

The White Sox did play a morning game sponsored by McDonald's in 1976- the start time was 10:00am. I'm not certain who had the last at bats.

nccwsfan
08-21-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm going to be in Boston next week. Will a sports bar with the MLB Extra Innings package be able to pick up WCIU or the Orioles feed for both games? Just thought I might be able to convince the wife to have dinner at a sports bar that night and catch two Sox games for 1. :cool:

The Extra Innings package will pick up the White Sox feed for any Comcast games. If it's WCIU or WGN it will pickup the Orioles MASN feed.

DSpivack
08-21-2008, 09:48 PM
The Extra Innings package will pick up the White Sox feed for any Comcast games. If it's WCIU or WGN it will pickup the Orioles MASN feed.

Good luck finding a bar in Boston to put it on, though.

PeteWard
08-22-2008, 04:25 AM
I would rather give Gavin the extra day of rest. We must baby our Big Four as much as possible cus if one of them goes down,we are truly screwed. And Richard will be working on 6 days rest instead of a whole week. It is a gamble and I suppose you could make the decision between games(but I doubt it) ,so the sox need to win that first game quickly or it could be a long nite. It will be a two-fer nite and fraught with implications.Hope the Sox do not have a letdown after playing the current best team in MLB this weekend. Hope they show they can hit against good pitching.

Well, Baltimore will be hosting the Yankees this weekend and while the Sox are better, I am sure their park will be full of hated New yorkers and those who hate them. The fans will be jacked up more than they will for the Sox---so the O's have just as much a chance for a letdown.

Either way, the O's are not a pushover and I think it will be tough series.

PeteWard
08-22-2008, 04:27 AM
The White Sox did play a morning game sponsored by McDonald's in 1976- the start time was 10:00am. I'm not certain who had the last at bats.

I remember that. They were promoting their awful breakfasts.

UofCSoxFan
08-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Good luck finding a bar in Boston to put it on, though.

Boston is fighting for the Wild Card and would like both the Twins and us to lose. I think you could make the case for having it on one tv.

kba
08-24-2008, 07:16 PM

I vaguely remember that. Didn't the vendors wear pajamas and serve free coffee? Did that game also mark the debut of the center field shower? Or am I confusing my Veeck promotions?

Harry Potter
08-24-2008, 07:37 PM
The Cubune is reporting that either DJ (threw 12 pitches today) or Thornton will take the bump when the suspended game resumes tomorrow. http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080824-chicago-white-sox-tampa-bay-devil-rays,1,4070891.story

Baltimore MLB site comments about their available players
http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080824&content_id=3359907&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

TDog
08-24-2008, 07:53 PM

I remember watching that game on television. Ronald McDonald through out the first pitch. And the Whtie Sox lost. I thought it was to the Texas Rangers. If I had a 1976 program or media guide lying around, I could check.

As I recall, the Sox batted last. There was a time when home teams had a choice of batting first or batting last, but that choice hasn't existed since long before I was born. The hosting team even bats last in games that are moved because of postponements -- i.e., the 1970 White Sox played 83 home games because two rainouts were transferred to Chicago from Kansas City. A suspeded game is a unique situation.

chitown13
08-24-2008, 08:03 PM
I don't feel like searching. :tongue:

What time does the suspended game start and is it being televised?

MUsoxfan
08-24-2008, 08:08 PM
I don't feel like searching. :tongue:

What time does the suspended game start and is it being televised?

5pm and yes

KyWhiSoxFan
08-24-2008, 09:19 PM
The Cubune is reporting that either DJ (threw 12 pitches today) or Thornton will take the bump when the suspended game resumes tomorrow. http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080824-chicago-white-sox-tampa-bay-devil-rays,1,4070891.story

Baltimore MLB site comments about their available players
http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080824&content_id=3359907&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

The writer for the story on the White Sox website suspects the starter will be Thornton since the first three batters--Millar, Huff, and Scott--due up are all left-handed.

CHISOXFAN13
08-24-2008, 09:24 PM
The writer for the story on the White Sox website suspects the starter will be Thornton since the first three batters--Millar, Huff, and Scott--due up are all left-handed.

Huff was ejected, and Millar is a righty.

tacosalbarojas
08-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Crede is due up second for us in the bottom of the 12th. Assuming he won't be rejoining the club, it'll have to be Getz as Ramirez and Uribe have both been in the game.

Stringer
08-24-2008, 11:00 PM
I'd say start Adam Russell....I don't wanna just Matt and have to need him for game two

CHISOXFAN13
08-25-2008, 09:39 AM
I'd say start Adam Russell....I don't wanna just Matt and have to need him for game two

Winning the first game is far more important than worrying about game two.

I'm not saying I don't trust AR, but you have to go with your best to start.

PorkChopExpress
08-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Huff was ejected, and Millar is a righty.

They said the first three guys up are lefties on Comcast this morning as well. Someone does not have the right facts. I am waiting for a breakdown on the game as to who exactly is eligible and who is not. I guess I could do it myself, but I don't get paid for it (Merkin).

cws05champ
08-25-2008, 09:58 AM
They said the first three guys up are lefties on Comcast this morning as well. Someone does not have the right facts. I am waiting for a breakdown on the game as to who exactly is eligible and who is not. I guess I could do it myself, but I don't get paid for it (Merkin).
Markakis was the last up for the O's. It should be Millar, Cintron or Juan Castro in place of DH Huff who was ejected, Scott(R, L, L).

We have the advantage here because we have used less position players and less pitchers. Lets pull this one out and pick up a full game on the Twins.

kba
08-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Here's (http://www.orioleshangout.com/date.asp?date=4/28/2008) a complete recap of the game so far, from an Orioles board. Here's (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=280428104) the box score. The Orioles will have no position players left on the bench after they make three required substitutions at the start of play tonight - Alex Cintron in to replace Fahey (now in the minors), Lou Montaņez in for Jones (now on the DL), Juan Castro in for Huff (ejected in the 10th). The Sox will need to replace Crede with Getz, but still have Dye, Wise, Griffey, and Hall on the bench.

The last time the White Sox played a suspended game was May 8 & 9, 1984. The Sox beat the Brewers 7-6 on a Harold Baines home run in the 25th inning.

johnnyg83
08-25-2008, 01:32 PM
The last time the White Sox played a suspended game was May 8 & 9, 1984. The Sox beat the Brewers 7-6 on a Harold Baines home run in the 25th inning.

I remember it ... 24 years ago ... amazing

NLaloosh
08-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Can we still use El Duque ?

Game over.

kba
08-25-2008, 02:25 PM

If he does, he will have hit his 6th and his 37th home runs of the year in the same game.

PorkChopExpress
08-25-2008, 02:35 PM
If he does, he will have hit his 6th and his 37th home runs of the year in the same game.

I don't know if that is something even the legend of Aaron Rowand could do.

sox1970
08-25-2008, 02:40 PM
With Crede back, he's still in the game.

Orioles lineup will probably be:
Millar, Cintron, Scott, Montanez, Castro, Hernandez, Roberts, Mora, Markakis

Nobody on the bench.
Bullpen: Bierd, F. Cabrera, Castillo, Cherry, Cormier, Mickolio

White Sox:
Quentin, Crede, Anderson, Uribe, Swisher, Cabrera, Thome, Konerko, Pierzynski

Bench: Getz, Griffey, Dye, Hall
Bullpen: Carrasco, Dotel, Ramirez, Russell, Thornton

getonbckthr
08-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Technically it would be 6th and 7th homeruns in this game. This was a topic last season with Arod's 500th hr. They were discussing a suspended game and if Arod was at 499 when the game was susp. hit his 500 th the next day but then 2 months later when the susp. game finished he hit another that would technically be the 500th hr.

Harry Potter
08-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Horacio to start the 12th now? :scratch:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080825-joe-crede-returns-chicago-white-sox,1,965539.story

sox1970
08-25-2008, 02:54 PM
I could definitely see Dye pinch hitting for Anderson in the bottom of the 12th...unless the game is over on a Quentin or Crede walk-off. :cool:

KyWhiSoxFan
08-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Horacio to start the 12th now? :scratch:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080825-joe-crede-returns-chicago-white-sox,1,965539.story

I hope Ramirez is good for one inning and Quentin hits the first pitch he sees over the fence.

getonbckthr
08-25-2008, 03:24 PM
How about the Umpires? Did they bring that days crew for the series or are we starting the 12th with a fresh crew?

getonbckthr
08-25-2008, 03:35 PM
How does fantasy baseball go about scoring? Looking at the results from that week (H2H league) I won that week 8-1-3. I lost wins by 1 win and we were tied in HRs, RBI's and Runs. I have Thornton and Quentin in my lineup for that day and just Quentin today. If Matt goes 3 up 3 down and Carlos hits a walk off do I win that week 11-0-1 or do those stats count for this week?

jabrch
08-25-2008, 03:54 PM
How does fantasy baseball go about scoring? Looking at the results from that week (H2H league) I won that week 8-1-3. I lost wins by 1 win and we were tied in HRs, RBI's and Runs. I have Thornton and Quentin in my lineup for that day and just Quentin today. If Matt goes 3 up 3 down and Carlos hits a walk off do I win that week 11-0-1 or do those stats count for this week?

I've never been in a league that didn't go back and update that week to show the correct results.

chitown13
08-25-2008, 04:29 PM
What channel is this game on?

Konerko05
08-25-2008, 04:32 PM
It's on CSN+/CLTV.

I'm not too excited about Horacio starting the 12th.

Konerko05
08-25-2008, 04:36 PM
It's on CSN+/CLTV.

I'm sorry. It is on WCIU. My fault.

chitown13
08-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks

DrGiggles
08-25-2008, 05:01 PM
It's on CSN+/CLTV.

I'm not too sure about Horacio either.

WhiteSox5187
08-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Who started that game? Was that Javy?

DrGiggles
08-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Who started that game? Was that Javy?

Yep :D:

spongyfungy
08-25-2008, 05:09 PM
If we win, it may be a walkoff in their own park. :D:

Hagan
08-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Boy you guys will second guess every single thing they do!

2 scoreless for Horacio.

Walk em off Swish!