PDA

View Full Version : im officially off the manuel bandwagon

baggio202
05-12-2002, 08:32 PM
not that it was very big...but ive been a huge supporter of manuel since he got here..and i thought he was improving as a manager...but these last couple of weeks his moves have just left my scatching my head in bewilderment...

today manuel was aboput to pull a move that maybe a lot of you didnt catch but was the last straw for me....it happened in the 8th inning...now we know percival is coming out for the 9th that we are all but done..he is one of the few closers i feel is better than foulke..so we had to tie the game in the 8th...it was our last legit chance to score....2 outs and maggs is up...we pan to the on deck circle and clayton is standing there....to me this is absolutely mind boggling..lets say ordonez doubles instead of homers...manuel, with liefer and durham on the bench was going let that last scoring chance go down in the hands of 200 hitting royce clayton....thats idiotic....would any other manager in baseball in that same situation let clayton bat???...i wanted to throw up when i saw him in the on deck circle

we have nick leyva in our system..he is a fiery guy and he managed the phillies in 91 -92..helped rebuild that team and in 93 they went to the playoffs...i ready to see manuel gone and nick in his place....i remember early in '01 rowand was struggling at charlotte and he came out and blasted the whole charlotte team but also singled out rowand as a guy not hustling and doing his best and said he never make the najors with that kind of attitude...look at how rowand responded....thats just might be what this teams needs...a kick in the ass

somebody here started a topic about how manuel is like doug collins..excellent at helping develop a young team but might not be the guy to lead it to the promise land...i beginning to believe whoever wrote that is right...

with or without manuel this team should win the division...but its starting to look like it might be inspite of him instead of because of him

Kilroy
05-12-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
today manuel was aboput to pull a move that maybe a lot of you didnt catch but was the last straw for me....it happened in the 8th inning...now we know percival is coming out for the 9th that we are all but done..he is one of the few closers i feel is better than foulke..so we had to tie the game in the 8th...it was our last legit chance to score....2 outs and maggs is up...we pan to the on deck circle and clayton is standing there....to me this is absolutely mind boggling..

Well, I don't know what was going on in the Angels' bullpen, but if no one was up throwing, do you announce your pinch hitter early giving them time to get someone up and warming? I don't. After Maggs' at bat is done, then I send the PH out on deck. Sure, we know that Percival will get the 9th, but he probably wasn't up yet in the top of the 8th. So who knows what he would have done? Maybe you assume too much.

baggio202
05-12-2002, 09:14 PM
manuel hasnt pinched hit for clayton yet..and he wasnt going to do it then....its not like they are playing chess...scoiscia has our line up card too and knows there was johnson and liefer a lefty and durham a switch hitter who hits better from the left side on the bench...the only thing sending clayton into the on deck circle and then pulling him back and sending up a pinch hitter would do would give our pinch hitter less time to loosen up...because either way scoiscia knew our only pinch hitting options were lefties....so if he wanted to make sure he had a lefty ready for our bench he would have had him up regaurdless of who we sent to the on deck circle..plus the few times manuel has pinch hit this year he sent the pinch hitter out onto the on deck circle

in the national league the send the pitcher onto the on deck circle and then pull him back but normally national league teams have a bench designed for pinch hitting...in our case there was no deception involved since our bench was all left handed

RedPinStripes
05-12-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Maybe you assume too much.

Maybe Manuel is an idiot? I might have fianlly talked some sense into baggio about Manuel after 2 years of arguing with him about it. :smile: