PDA

View Full Version : DJs home run call

beasly213
08-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Does anyone else just cringe every time they hear it? "Going going gone"

He sounds so akward and it is miserable to listen to. Please Hawk, don't let DJ do any play by play any more.

skottyj242
08-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Uh-oh.

btrain929
08-19-2008, 09:07 AM

He sounds so akward and it is miserable to listen to. Please Hawk, don't let DJ do any play by play any more.

I don't have that much of a problem with it because it's not like every single announcer in baseball has a great home run call. I love Hawk's. The only thing that bothers me is when he uses his line when the other team hits a HR too. That totally kills the slight chance of it sounding cool.

skottyj242
08-19-2008, 09:10 AM
I don't have that much of a problem with it because it's not like every single announcer in baseball has a great home run call. I love Hawk's. The only thing that bothers me is when he uses his line when the other team hits a HR too. That totally kills the slight chance of it sounding cool.

I like when he does it sarcastically. "You can put it on the board and it's now 5-2 bad guys." Or whatever the situation is.

PeteWard
08-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Hawk blows. The "He looks up" part especially. It's is all so ****ing canned.

Rockabilly
08-19-2008, 09:41 AM
hopefully DJ will be gone next year...

BringBackBlkJack
08-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Hawk blows. The "He looks up" part especially. It's is all so ****ing canned.

You must also hate Christmas morning.

kba
08-19-2008, 10:27 AM

There's no part of DJ's play-by-play that doesn't sound awkward. He seems to talk like a normal person when he's doing color, but for some reason as soon as he starts doing play-by-play, he falls into an awkward sing-song vocal pattern - like you might use when you read a fairy tale to a toddler.

ChiSoxFan7
08-19-2008, 10:34 AM
:rolling::roflmao::lol:

I'm pretty indifferent to both HR calls but I guess i Sorta like it for two reasons.

1. It's not the HR derby guy's... "Backbackbackbakcbakcbk GONE!"

2. I means the whitesox are putting up some runs!:cool:

KenBerryGrab
08-19-2008, 10:35 AM
"He looks up" is the best part!

Law11
08-19-2008, 10:42 AM
They are talking about it on Silvey/Waddle.

During the 4 homer barrage a few days ago DJ had the first two and Hawk seemed to step in in that same inning and made the next two calls.

DJ is just brutal with that Gooooing, Goooing, Gooing.. as his voice gets higher.

To answer the original post yes I cringe.

BigP50
08-19-2008, 10:45 AM
as long as the Sox are hitting home runs I could care less about how the announcers sound

PeteWard
08-19-2008, 10:49 AM

I'm not a child anymore, if that's what you mean. And Harrelson's call is pretty damn childish.

PeteWard
08-19-2008, 10:51 AM
"He looks up" is the best part!

Yeah right especially when "he" stopped looking three seconds after the clown says it.

Lamest HR call ever

PeteWard
08-19-2008, 10:52 AM
as long as the Sox are hitting home runs I could care less about how the announcers sound

Well if you mean "couldn't care less" I agree. Keep on hitting!!:D:

08-19-2008, 10:53 AM
And Harrelson's call is pretty damn childish.

In your opinion.

Baseball is a game, it's supposed to be fun and enjoyable.

Not directed at you specifically, just wondering aloud really, but I wonder if other team's fans complain as much about every little thing their announcers do like White Sox fans. It seems like there's a thread complaining about one of the announcers every week.

PeteWard
08-19-2008, 10:55 AM
In your opinion.

Not directed at you specifically, just wondering aloud really, but I wonder if other team's fans complain as much about every little thing their announcers do like White Sox fans. It seems like there's a thread complaining about one of the announcers every week.

Of course it's my opinion. Jeesh! :rolleyes:

08-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Of course it's my opinion. Jeesh! :rolleyes:

And I completely disagree with it. Jeesh! :rolleyes:

hawkjt
08-19-2008, 11:15 AM
hawk's homer call is the best thing he does. it has become the industry standard as evidenced by the BB2Nite crew and Sportscenter crew mimicing it when they do sox highlights. It has seeped into the sports venacular. DJ's is about the other end of the spectrum...totally forgettable.

Konerko05
08-19-2008, 11:41 AM
DJ's home run call is pretty bad, but it is probably pretty standard to the rest of the homerun calls around the league. Sad thing is DJ probably spend all year thinking it up. He thinks he needs a coined phrase like Hawk, but instead came up with something completely unoriginal. I don't know why he can't just call it as it is happening.

My friend and I were talking about it a couple days ago and we were trying to think of his call from a couple years ago. Instead of "uh-oh," we convinced ourselves it was "buh-bye" for a couple hours. Talk about cringe-worthy. We were laughing about that for a while.

SOXPHILE
08-19-2008, 11:49 AM
"OH MY" was another one of his forgettable homerun calls.

Dibbs
08-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Going going gone is cheesy. I miss "uh-oh"...

Hawk's call is legendary by the way.

TommyGavinFloyd
08-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Going going gone is cheesy. I miss "uh-oh"...

Hawk's call is legendary by the way.

Well, it's tough to follow in the footsteps of a legend, especially when that legend is still there. I give DJ all the credit in the world. I hope he can come up with his own good call eventually but if not, eh. Half the time I am yelling over the HR call anyway.

soxpride724
08-19-2008, 02:03 PM
I like Ed Farmer's "Light it up!"

soxinem1
08-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Uh-oh.

I still can't figure out the uh-oh by DJ...

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Uh-oh.

A little too wordy for my taste, but scottyj you summed up my sentiment exactly.

DJ just isn't blessed with a broadcaster's voice. Thus anything he does will sound sorta lame.

That's why he's a color "analyst" - snail on turtle's back going 'Wheeeee' and all - not a PBP man.

Vienna
08-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Personally, I like Hawk's call and feel that it is one of the better parts of his presence in the booth. DJ's is a bit weak, but he can't show up Hawk, or he'll be joining Wimperoo. Seems like Hawk is taking more and more bathroom breaks and DJ is stuck calling the play-by-play as well. So, DJ is really stuck between a rock and hard place. I think that may be why uh-oh is pretty damn funny. Kind of like "Uh-oh, Hawk's in the can, better say something."

veeter
08-19-2008, 02:41 PM
DJ had no experience before he got the job. Since 2000 he has not improved a lick. His only value has been his few appearances for Fox. As far as with the Sox, I think he sucks really bad.

Sox Supporter
08-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Years from now when you talk to your kids and grandkids about White Sox history, you'll tell them about Hawk's signature call on home runs. Whether you think it's great (I do), or terrible, it is memorable, as well as unique, and to me, that's what baseball is all about. By the way, Hawk is in his 19th straight season in the booth for the Sox, and 23rd season total. The "I feel really old moment": there are a generation of Sox fans under the age of 25 who can only remember Hawk in the Sox tv booth.

OldRomanPizza
08-19-2008, 03:45 PM
"OH MY" was another one of his forgettable homerun calls.

hahaha....to each their own.

that was one of my favorites! :)

I was also a big fan of the "offense....instant" home run call he made.

I really cant get mad what anyone says when the Sox hit a home run.

thomas35forever
08-19-2008, 03:47 PM
DJ's call does need to improve. It was at its worst when he called Paulie's homer in the four-dinger barrage. He paused for about two or three seconds before saying "GONE."

chaerulez
08-19-2008, 03:47 PM
My friend mentioned to me as we saw Orlando's HR yesterday how DJ's home run calls are awkward and he's bad at them.

hawkjt
08-19-2008, 05:40 PM
it's not like they do not get to practice them a lot with 191 homers in 124 games....practice makes perfect...not. I do not really care...just keep hitting them,sox.

Frontman
08-19-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm not a child anymore, if that's what you mean. And Harrelson's call is pretty damn childish.

So's the concept of a home run call to begin with. But then again, so's being a fan when you think about it. We grab our ballcaps, we wear our t-shirts and jerseys. We want to attend special event games with giveaways and whatnot.

When you really break it down, being a sports fan is required to be a tad childish.

CMPDragRacing
08-19-2008, 07:34 PM
we could have to listen to

way back, it might be, it could be, it is.

cnw8052
08-19-2008, 08:19 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but when Hawk's voice suddenly perks up with the "That ball hit deep.....", it really gets me excited. Plus, if your doing something on the side and just listening to the TV, it grabs your attention to look at the TV quick.

DJ's call is just LAME.

Frontman
08-19-2008, 08:38 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but when Hawk's voice suddenly perks up with the "That ball hit deep.....", it really gets me excited. Plus, if your doing something on the side and just listening to the TV, it grabs your attention to look at the TV quick.

DJ's call is just LAME.

That is true about Hawk's call. When he starts it, you know to get back in front of the TV to see it go out. DJ's pitch and tone is the same on a home run call as it is when the other team scores.

krispoulin
08-20-2008, 02:22 AM
I agree. DJ's home run call is nothing but awkward and forced-sounding. On top of that, it always sounds like he's eating the mic. It' always really bad sound quality when he's speaking....

And something to all the people posting that they don't care about DJ's home run call as long as the Sox keep hitting home runs: No kidding. We all want the Sox to hit home runs and win, but the point of the subject of this particular post was DJ's home run call, not whether we like the Sox hitting home runs. Use your heads, please.

And, while I'm on a rant, Ken Harrelson should have had his ties with the Sox cut when he fired LaRussa and traded Bonilla. I can't stand listening to him call a game. It's like listening to a hillbilly egotist talk about his favorite child for 3 hours.

08-20-2008, 07:49 AM
I agree. DJ's home run call is nothing but awkward and forced-sounding. On top of that, it always sounds like he's eating the mic. It' always really bad sound quality when he's speaking....

And something to all the people posting that they don't care about DJ's home run call as long as the Sox keep hitting home runs: No kidding. We all want the Sox to hit home runs and win, but the point of the subject of this particular post was DJ's home run call, not whether we like the Sox hitting home runs. Use your heads, please.

And, while I'm on a rant, Ken Harrelson should have had his ties with the Sox cut when he fired LaRussa and traded Bonilla. I can't stand listening to him call a game. It's like listening to a hillbilly egotist talk about his favorite child for 3 hours.

670 AM, The Score.

Carolina Kenny
08-20-2008, 08:46 AM
hawk's homer call is the best thing he does. it has become the industry standard as evidenced by the BB2Nite crew and Sportscenter crew mimicing it when they do sox highlights. It has seeped into the sports venacular. DJ's is about the other end of the spectrum...totally forgettable.

I agree, I think Hawks call is original and exciting. DJ's call is lame.

"You can put it on the board" has become as iconic as "how about that" and for any broadcaster to approach iconic status is pretty damn good.
"Dammgummit"

RowanDye
08-20-2008, 08:58 AM
I agree, I think Hawks call is original and exciting. DJ's call is lame.

"You can put it on the board" has become as iconic as "how about that" and for any broadcaster to approach iconic status is pretty damn good.
"Dammgummit"

Does anyone have a clip of the game where TCQ got ejected for throwing his bat and Hawk went off his rocker?

You could here him going into a tantrum "That's bull! Pure bull.." as they cut to commercial break.

Anyone else remember that moment?

Jimmy Piersall
08-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Does anyone have a clip of the game where TCQ got ejected for throwing his bat and Hawk went off his rocker?

You could here him going into a tantrum "That's bull! Pure bull.." as they cut to commercial break.

Anyone else remember that moment?

I do and i was just as pissed thinking TCQ was tossed.As for DJ's
home run call,think fingernails on a chalkboard.

krispoulin
08-20-2008, 09:43 AM
670 AM, The Score.

Thanks, but I know. I know. Most of the time I listen to Farmer and Stone with the tv on mute. Sometimes, though, that's not an option, and it 's those times that I get the harsh reminder of Harrelson and Jackson.

Jaysox
08-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Years from now when you talk to your kids and grandkids about White Sox history, you'll tell them about Hawk's signature call on home runs. Whether you think it's great (I do), or terrible, it is memorable, as well as unique, and to me, that's what baseball is all about. By the way, Hawk is in his 19th straight season in the booth for the Sox, and 23rd season total. The "I feel really old moment": there are a generation of Sox fans under the age of 25 who can only remember Hawk in the Sox tv booth.

You pretty much nailed it on the head.

I love Hawk. If anyone's got a problem with him, then mute him and stop whining. He's here to stay.

I feel sorry for DJ. I like the guy but he just does not have the voice for the job.

soxrme
08-20-2008, 10:32 AM
I approve of any Sox home run call:bandance:

Frankfan4life
08-20-2008, 10:35 AM
In your opinion.

Not directed at you specifically, just wondering aloud really, but I wonder if other team's fans complain as much about every little thing their announcers do like White Sox fans. It seems like there's a thread complaining about one of the announcers every week.I agree. I don't have a big problem with DJs home run call. It's not great, distinctive or overly emotional but at least he has one now. Hawk's home run call is a classic and it gets me excited every time I hear it. It's the thing I like most about the Hawk.

All this squawking about DJ reminds me of the team on the northside of town. We shouldn't let something as petty as a mediocre home run call detract from the success the Sox are now enjoying. I remember all the Singleton critics and I bet that they have to admit that he does a pretty good job as an ESPN analyst.

soxgirl617
08-20-2008, 10:42 AM
I agree. I don't have a big problem with DJs home run call. It's not great, distinctive or overly emotional but at least he has one now. Hawk's home run call is a classic and it gets me excited every time I hear it. It's the thing I like most about the Hawk.

All this squawking about DJ reminds me of the team on the northside of town. We shouldn't let something as petty as a mediocre home run call detract from the success the Sox are now enjoying. I remember all the Singleton critics and I bet that they have to admit that he does a pretty good job as an ESPN analyst.

Agreed! Why all the complaining about DJ's home run call? First, I don't think it's bad at all: I kind of like it. Second, it escapes me why some Sox fans are so fixated on criticizing our broadcast teams. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but overall I think we've been quite lucky. IMHO, DJ is much better than people give him credit for, and Singleton's performance to date on ESPN shows that he certainly has more talent than many fans gave him credit for.

Just my two cents, but I think DJ's call is fine.

johnnyg83
08-20-2008, 11:42 AM
I think it's awful ... he had one two nights ago where he was saying "going, going, gone" after the ball had already landed in the stands. Sorta takes the drama out of it DJ -- if your verb tenses are wrong when you start it -- and makes it sound even more canned than usual.

KenBerryGrab
08-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Caught last night's game on the radio, so I went to see the highlights on mlb.com. Very weak that DJ called both bombs. No life, no excitement, gah.