PDA

View Full Version : Cubs booed at WWE Raw last night

Frontman
08-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Last night at the Allstate Arena, the Cubs were shown during the broadcast, which received some boos from the fans in attendance.

I thought this was a Cubs town!

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/2008_/1219118500.php

And yes, once again the WWE does what I have never understood.

CM Punk, current champion and Chicago's very own, loses a non-title match in his hometown.

pierzynski07
08-19-2008, 09:07 AM
It was more of a mix, as it always happens when one team is there.

BTW, wouldn't winning in your home town be a bit predictable?

beasly213
08-19-2008, 09:47 AM
I was there live last night. Some guy had a giant sign that said "Cubs are Raw" and every time he held it up he was booed out of the building.

Def. more boos than cheers for the Cubs last night.

skottyj242
08-19-2008, 09:47 AM
This is equal with Bret Hart losing in Canada. Or Jimmy King losing on a non pay per view.

alohafri
08-19-2008, 09:50 AM
I was there live last night. Some guy had a giant sign that said "Cubs are Raw" and every time he held it up he was booed out of the building.

Def. more boos than cheers for the Cubs last night.

I saw on tv they showed some guy holding up a "Cubs Suck" sign.

jdm2662
08-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Was there last night. I was amazed at the amount of actual wresting there was. There wasn't much drama at all outside of the first 15 mins (which is typical for a Raw show). It's also amazing the crowd was mostly kids, which wasn't the case in the late 90s/early 2000s. It was an overall enjoyable show.

And, not that this is news to anyone, but the parking lot at Rosemont sucks.

Frontman
08-19-2008, 10:59 AM
It was more of a mix, as it always happens when one team is there.

BTW, wouldn't winning in your home town be a bit predictable?

For whatever reason, the WWE has now followed what WCW used to do, and thinks its being "clever" by giving the fans a match involving a home town person; but instead of giving the fans the pay off of a win; they have the person lose. They then give an "after the show goes off the air" a relatively fast match involving the hometown guy who gets a quick win. It sounds nice on the surface, but when you watch a guy get beat down for 20-30 minutes and then lose, only to win say a 5 or 6 minute match; it just comes off as a cheap "send 'em home happy" moment instead of building towards anything.

And they do it now ALL THE TIME, so its now predictable for the hometown fave to lose. You'd think they'd catch on, but sadly; they don't. Ric Flair jobbed more times in the Carolinas than anyone. Now the Hardy Boyz are almost sure fire losses in the Carolinas; as is Mr. Kennedy when they are in Wisconsin.

skottyj242
08-19-2008, 11:18 AM
For whatever reason, the WWE has now followed what WCW used to do, and thinks its being "clever" by giving the fans a match involving a home town person; but instead of giving the fans the pay off of a win; they have the person lose. They then give an "after the show goes off the air" a relatively fast match involving the hometown guy who gets a quick win. It sounds nice on the surface, but when you watch a guy get beat down for 20-30 minutes and then lose, only to win say a 5 or 6 minute match; it just comes off as a cheap "send 'em home happy" moment instead of building towards anything.

And they do it now ALL THE TIME, so its now predictable for the hometown fave to lose. You'd think they'd catch on, but sadly; they don't. Ric Flair jobbed more times in the Carolinas than anyone. Now the Hardy Boyz are almost sure fire losses in the Carolinas; as is Mr. Kennedy when they are in Wisconsin.

I'm confused. So they had a match after the show ended? I have been to a couple of shows and have never seen that happen. Is this normal?

beasly213
08-19-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm confused. So they had a match after the show ended? I have been to a couple of shows and have never seen that happen. Is this normal?

Yea they had a dark match after the show. It's not um common for TV tapings for them to do a post show match. It also helps keep people in their seats while the show is still going on TV thus making it look better to those watching.

kittle42
08-19-2008, 03:14 PM
I know we are all wrestling fans in this thread, but, given the intelligence of the average wrestling fan, isn't it kind of a bad thing that Cubs fans were getting booed?

Optipessimism
08-19-2008, 04:43 PM
I know we are all wrestling fans in this thread, but, given the intelligence of the average wrestling fan, isn't it kind of a bad thing that Cubs fans were getting booed?
I was going to post something similar when I saw this thread but decided not to. All the Cubs fans have to do is spin this around to try to prove that Sox fans are rednecks.

In reality though, I'd imagine the average intelligence of a wrestling fan is about the same as the average intelligence of your general sports fan, in fact, maybe it's quite a bit higher. It's funny how pro-wrestling gets the redneck stereotype when their most successful market is New York. :scratch:

Optipessimism
08-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Speaking of CM Punk, I haven't watched in a while so I don't know if they've addressed it on TV, but didn't CM Punk used to wrestle for the local LWF promotion in the Chicago area? I remember old commercials while watching Nitro and Raw that advertised the Chick Magnets, which was CM Punk and a partner. Did the WWE acknowledge any of this? Have the acknowledged what the CM stands for? And, does Punk's old partner wrestle in the WWE now too? I can't remember that guy's name.

Frontman
08-19-2008, 04:53 PM
I was going to post something similar when I saw this thread but decided not to. All the Cubs fans have to do is spin this around to try to prove that Sox fans are rednecks.

In reality though, I'd imagine the average intelligence of a wrestling fan is about the same as the average intelligence of your general sports fan, in fact, maybe it's quite a bit higher. It's funny how pro-wrestling gets the redneck stereotype when their most successful market is New York. :scratch:

Considering the cost to go to a wrestling show; its just amazing that its still thought of as appealing to the "lower" class.

OldRomanPizza
08-19-2008, 04:53 PM
When the Dudleys gave crap to Chicago in the old ECW days, the cheers were always louder for their anti Sox comments than anti Cubs.

I also was shocked when much of the crowd booed Ozzie on the jumbotron at a Bulls game back shortly after the Sox won the World Series, and again in 06.

Another wrestling staple was always a massive boo to whoever came out to plug Mancow's show. As he once put it, I got all the free beer I could catch.

kittle42
08-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Speaking of CM Punk, I haven't watched in a while so I don't know if they've addressed it on TV, but didn't CM Punk used to wrestle for the local LWF promotion in the Chicago area? I remember old commercials while watching Nitro and Raw that advertised the Chick Magnets, which was CM Punk and a partner. Did the WWE acknowledge any of this? Have the acknowledged what the CM stands for? And, does Punk's old partner wrestle in the WWE now too? I can't remember that guy's name.

Chick Magnet Punk, indeed. CM Punk is a very indy name. I wonder why they allowed him to keep it.

Optipessimism
08-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Considering the cost to go to a wrestling show; its just amazing that its still thought of as appealing to the "lower" class.
Yeah, that can be pretty expensive.

The whole belief that pro-wrestling is only for rednecks really makes no sense at all, and honestly I can't even understand what it would be based upon. I mean, if you go to these shows they are very ethnically diverse, about as diverse as you can get, and they draw huge money all around the US as well as globally. Pro-wrestling, for whatever reason, has greater appeal worldwide than many professional sports and many of it's athletes have gone on to legitimize themselves in other careers. You have The Rock who is now the big movie star, Jesse Ventura as a former governor, all kinds of legit pro fighters who have had success from Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, Kazushi Sakaraba, Josh Barnett, etc. and you've also got guys with legit backgrounds in pro football, like Steve McMichael, and other sports along with some of the best amateur wrestlers to ever compete. Hell, even Dennis Rodman, Karl Malone, Jay Leno, AJ Pierzynski, Master P, and Floyd Mayweather had pro-wresting matches. I guess I just don't get it.

Frontman
08-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Yeah, that can be pretty expensive.

The whole belief that pro-wrestling is only for rednecks really makes no sense at all, and honestly I can't even understand what it would be based upon. I mean, if you go to these shows they are very ethnically diverse, about as diverse as you can get, and they draw huge money all around the US as well as globally. Pro-wrestling, for whatever reason, has greater appeal worldwide than many professional sports and many of it's athletes have gone on to legitimize themselves in other careers. You have The Rock who is now the big movie star, Jesse Ventura as a former governor, all kinds of legit pro fighters who have had success from Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, Kazushi Sakaraba, Josh Barnett, etc. and you've also got guys with legit backgrounds in pro football, like Steve McMichael, and other sports along with some of the best amateur wrestlers to ever compete. Hell, even Dennis Rodman, Karl Malone, Jay Leno, AJ Pierzynski, Master P, and Floyd Mayweather had pro-wresting matches. I guess I just don't get it.

You were doing so well until you mentioned Mongo. He was one of the worst pro-wrestlers I ever had the dis-pleasure of seeing wrestle. Good Lord, was he bad. If I could quote good ol' JR.

"Folks, he didn't know a wristlock from a wristwatch!":D:

Soxfanspcu11
08-30-2008, 02:31 PM
I also was shocked when much of the crowd booed Ozzie on the jumbotron at a Bulls game back shortly after the Sox won the World Series, and again in 06.

I was at a Bulls Playoff game in April of 2006 and several players from the Sox were there and they showed them on the board and I did not here one single Boo, just nothing but cheers.

Juice16
08-30-2008, 02:35 PM
This may have been discussed here before, but I was at the BHawks game when they honored Thome for 500 HRs and he was booed.

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2008, 03:10 PM
I was at a Bulls Playoff game in April of 2006 and several players from the Sox were there and they showed them on the board and I did not here one single Boo, just nothing but cheers.
I must've been at that same game. Was it Game 6 of the first round? I also saw Ronnie Woo Woo in full Cubs gear on the 300 level concourse; but, yea, the Sox who were shown weren't booed very much.

During Blackhawks Convention last month, Josh Mora mentioned to the crowd at one of the main sessions "There is a first place team on the north side. There is a first place team on the south side. But, on the front page of the Chicago Tribune is a huge photo of Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews!" There were more cheers for the mentioning of the Sox being in first place than the Cubs.

pierzynski07
08-30-2008, 09:07 PM
FWIW, here's Dempster and the gascan on Santino's Casa.

udAVcAfnt2o

Excellent ending (the middle part is godawful), with the familar music, and a wonderful message. :D:

LongLiveFisk
08-31-2008, 10:34 AM
Another wrestling staple was always a massive boo to whoever came out to plug Mancow's show. As he once put it, I got all the free beer I could catch.

Not to hijack the thread, but is he even still on the air in Chicago?

Dan Mega
08-31-2008, 12:39 PM
This isn't shocking. Sox fans seem to be drawn more toward the fake sport known as wrestling. Cubs fans like the fake sport of beer pong more. :shrug:

Whitesoxfan23
08-31-2008, 01:32 PM
^ Let's not start this. Wrestling doesn't claim to be a sport. It's called sports entertainment. Wrestling is entertaining, and the wrestlers are very talented and athletic for the most part.

Lefty34
08-31-2008, 03:01 PM
^ Let's not start this. Wrestling doesn't claim to be a sport. It's called sports entertainment. Wrestling is entertaining, and the wrestlers are very talented and athletic for the most part.
Yeah the Superstars are some of the most physically fit athletes I have ever seen, I don't know why they get dogged so much, you can't fake your way into benching 350. Anyway to me, wrestlers and boxers don't get the credit they deserve for being such incredible athletes.

Nellie_Fox
09-01-2008, 03:09 AM
Yeah the Superstars are some of the most physically fit athletes I have ever seen, I don't know why they get dogged so much, you can't fake your way into benching 350. Anyway to me, wrestlers and boxers don't get the credit they deserve for being such incredible athletes.Boxers are incredible athletes. Just try to go ten honest three-minute rounds on a heavy bag and see how you're doing. And the bag isn't hitting back. Real wrestlers are insanely good athletes. Pro wrestlers vary. Some are very athletic, some just put on a good show and don't have to be in any kind of shape at all.

Whitesoxfan23
09-01-2008, 03:29 AM
The ones that aren't in good shape physically, are still tough as nails, IE: Mick Foley. Pro wrestlers are very, very, underrated.

Frontman
09-01-2008, 10:08 AM
The ones that aren't in good shape physically, are still tough as nails, IE: Mick Foley. Pro wrestlers are very, very, underrated.

Foley

The Sandman

Terry Funk

Brother Rey/Bubba Ray Dudley

Some people think its the guys like Batista that you'd have to worry about. Personally, its the guys like the one's above (well, save Foley. He's a big tough guy with truly a softie heart) that I would be afraid to piss off in a barfight.

SOXPHILE
09-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Yeah the Superstars are some of the most physically fit athletes I have ever seen, I don't know why they get dogged so much, you can't fake your way into benching 350. Anyway to me, wrestlers and boxers don't get the credit they deserve for being such incredible athletes.

Yes, you can. When you take copious amounts of steroids, HGH, and whatever other "pharmaceuticals" you can find, such as these guys do, it is possible.

Whitesoxfan23
09-02-2008, 02:23 PM
^Oh stop it. That is like saying everyone that does sports is on steroids. They even have testing for steroids and other things now. Don't talk about something you obviously don't know anything about.

SOXPHILE
09-02-2008, 02:40 PM
^Oh stop it. That is like saying everyone that does sports is on steroids. They even have testing for steroids and other things now. Don't talk about something you obviously don't know anything about.

Excuse me ? So, what you're saying is, there's not an abundance of steroid & HGH use in wrastlin' ? A big part of the reason they have to refer to themselves as "entertainment", and not "sports" is if they did, they would be subject to drug testing. Careful when you throw around a statment I "don't talk about something I obviously don't know anything about".

Brian26
09-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah the Superstars are some of the most physically fit athletes I have ever seen, I don't know why they get dogged so much, you can't fake your way into benching 350.

Dino Bravo faked his way to a 710 lb bench press.

kittle42
09-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Excuse me ? So, what you're saying is, there's not an abundance of steroid & HGH use in wrastlin' ? A big part of the reason they have to refer to themselves as "entertainment", and not "sports" is if they did, they would be subject to drug testing. Careful when you throw around a statment I "don't talk about something I obviously don't know anything about".

They are subject to their own self-made and self-enforced "Wellness Policy." No one really knows the level of enforcement, but several wrestlers have been suspended since its implementation, including bigger-name guys.

Whitesoxfan23
09-05-2008, 12:51 AM

There have been alot of people using steroids and other things in wrestling, but they have a test in place now and suspend people for doing that. By the statement that you made you are one of those "That wrasslin just has a buncha steroid freaks". Even in sports they have problems with steroids and other substances (obviously). That still doesn't make it fair to make an assumption, and to stereotype wrestlers like that. Alot of the general public are complete morons when it comes to pro wrestling, and I am sick of it.

SOXPHILE
09-05-2008, 10:08 AM
There have been alot of people using steroids and other things in wrestling, but they have a test in place now and suspend people for doing that. By the statement that you made you are one of those "That wrasslin just has a buncha steroid freaks". Even in sports they have problems with steroids and other substances (obviously). That still doesn't make it fair to make an assumption, and to stereotype wrestlers like that. Alot of the general public are complete morons when it comes to pro wrestling, and I am sick of it.

I didn't meant to offend your sensibilities about wrastlin'. You do realize the irony in your statement that alot of the general public are morons when it comes to pro wresting, right ?

TomBradley72
09-05-2008, 11:29 AM

This is a new one for me...what exactly is "sports entertainment"? Is it in same category as American Galdiators or exhibition boxing/soccer/tennis matches? I can't argue that these guys are in great physical shape...I don't really see the entertainment value...but to each his own.

Nellie_Fox
09-05-2008, 12:33 PM
...what exactly is "sports entertainment"?Disney on Ice?

Whitesoxfan23
09-05-2008, 01:45 PM
I didn't meant to offend your sensibilities about wrastlin'. You do realize the irony in your statement that alot of the general public are morons when it comes to pro wresting, right ?

People don't know anything about wrestling, just make stereotypes about it. It gets really old. You obviously are one of those people.

Whitesoxfan23
09-05-2008, 01:49 PM
IE: When the Chris Benoit situation happened, the media was saying it was "roidrage", but when the toxicology reports came back, that was proved NOT to be the case. Every wrestler the media had on their stupid news show, was cut off when they had a good point that it was NOT steroids. Sure enough, the media and general public was made to look like complete tools, when it was revealed to not be "roidrage" after all. It's funny how the Chris Benoit case hasn't really been talked about since then.

kittle42
09-05-2008, 01:56 PM
People don't know anything about wrestling, just make stereotypes about it. It gets really old. You obviously are one of those people.

You have to cut them some slack, man. I mean, wrestling does have its huge, huge share of completely backwards fans - thus, the stereotypes. Even the supposed "smart" internet fans acknowledge that the rest of the general public sees them as stupid for being fans. Just know that you are not one of those people.

I have always enjoyed pro wrestling. I'm not ashamed of it. But I also don't disagree that probably 95% of wrestling fans are complete mongoloids.

Whitesoxfan23
09-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Wrestling does have idiot fans, but so does music,sports, etc.

Whitesoxfan23
09-05-2008, 02:04 PM
This video shows how ignorant the media is about pro wrestling. TNA Wrestler Kevin Nash owns them in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAkBL4KO0WU

kittle42
09-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Wrestling does have idiot fans, but so does music,sports, etc.

Yeah, but I think you get an idea of the disproportionate numbers by attending a live event.

jdm2662
09-05-2008, 02:34 PM
IE: When the Chris Benoit situation happened, the media was saying it was "roidrage", but when the toxicology reports came back, that was proved NOT to be the case. Every wrestler the media had on their stupid news show, was cut off when they had a good point that it was NOT steroids. Sure enough, the media and general public was made to look like complete tools, when it was revealed to not be "roidrage" after all. It's funny how the Chris Benoit case hasn't really been talked about since then.

The thing is, the media is like that no matter what the issue is. They always spew **** and see what sticks. It's no different than a sports story, etc. "Reporters" want to be the news instead of reporting it. It was just a cool to thing to do. The only reason why Chris Beniot's story was even in the mainstream news is because a wife and a chid were involved. Personally, I think the wife killed the kid, he killed her, than he killed himself, but we will never know the story.

Steriod use is not uncommon in wrestling. I don't think anyone can deny that. I also don't think it's a concidence that both the likes of Randy Orton and Batista, have gotten a big smaller since the WWE started more harsher testing. The media will jump to conclusions for anything. They just happened to use "roid rage" as an excuse to get ratings. When they were proven wrong, well, they went hiding. Happens all the time. It's why I don't watch "news" programs or hell, pay attention to the media in general. Just give me the general AP wire reports.

jdm2662
09-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah, but I think you get an idea of the disproportionate numbers by attending a live event.

I attended No Way Out this year in Vegas and Raw a couple of weeks ago in Chicago. More than half of the crowd was kids. I guess I'm not terribly surprised since the WWE has toned down their content. Ten years ago, I think the crowd you referred to was rampant. The wife stopped going to cards because she got tired of getting doused with beer and **** thrown at her.

SOXPHILE
09-05-2008, 05:17 PM

Obviously. I never saw someone get so worked up and defensive about what, essentially, is a soap opera for teenage boys.

Whitesoxfan23
09-05-2008, 06:22 PM
^More stupidity. I love it.

Whitesoxfan23
09-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Nobody is saying that steroid use isn't uncommon in pro wrestling, but it is overblown, and testing is in place now.

Frontman
09-05-2008, 06:57 PM

Trust me, some Sox fans I've seen at the Cell makes the average wrestling fan look like they are Mensa members.

Gregory Pratt
09-06-2008, 10:53 AM
WWE's steroid policy is a joke.

I mean, I'm with you about pro wrestlers needing more respect than they get, but to pretend that their steroid policy means much is silly.

Frontman
09-06-2008, 06:25 PM
WWE's steroid policy is a joke.

I mean, I'm with you about pro wrestlers needing more respect than they get, but to pretend that their steroid policy means much is silly.

A ninety day suspension without pay isn't silly in my opinion.

Nellie_Fox
09-07-2008, 02:26 AM
A ninety day suspension without pay isn't silly in my opinion.I still don't believe it. McMahon has used steroids himself. A great PR ploy would be to have a guy who needs time off for an injury, personal reasons, vacation, whatever, and announce it as a "suspension" to try to clean up their public image.

Whitesoxfan23
09-07-2008, 02:34 AM
^ It really is true. They have had guys involved in their biggest storylines, and most popular wrestlers suspended.

scarsofthumper
09-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Speaking of CM Punk, I haven't watched in a while so I don't know if they've addressed it on TV, but didn't CM Punk used to wrestle for the local LWF promotion in the Chicago area? I remember old commercials while watching Nitro and Raw that advertised the Chick Magnets, which was CM Punk and a partner. Did the WWE acknowledge any of this? Have the acknowledged what the CM stands for? And, does Punk's old partner wrestle in the WWE now too? I can't remember that guy's name.Thing is, Punk himself doesn't acknowledge his time in LWF becuase it was "too backyard"

As far as Punk's partner, CM Venom, he doesn't wrestle anymore. I still talk to him every now and then, and actually the LWF is having a reuinion show very soon.

Frontman
09-07-2008, 05:24 PM
^ It really is true. They have had guys involved in their biggest storylines, and most popular wrestlers suspended.

Considering they suspended:

Mr. Kennedy when he was set to be a part of a huge push with the "Son of Mr. McMahon" storyline.

William Regal days after he won the King of the Ring

Jeff Hardy when he was in the middle of a title push

Rob Van Dam was stripped of both titles (including the World Heavyweight Title) and suspended for a drug arrest.

I don't think the WWE is taking their drug policy "lightly."

kittle42
09-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Considering they suspended:

Mr. Kennedy when he was set to be a part of a huge push with the "Son of Mr. McMahon" storyline.

William Regal days after he won the King of the Ring

Jeff Hardy when he was in the middle of a title push

Rob Van Dam was stripped of both titles (including the World Heavyweight Title) and suspended for a drug arrest.

I don't think the WWE is taking their drug policy "lightly."

Well, it's still questionable. I mean, I agree with all the above, of course, because it happened. But you tell me whether HHH would ever get suspended? Cena? Yeah, probably not.

Whitesoxfan23
09-07-2008, 06:58 PM
But there are more cases of them suspending people in major storylines, than the other. WWE is not taking this lightly at all.

DSpivack
09-07-2008, 07:01 PM
But there are more cases of them suspending people in major storylines, than the other. WWE is not taking this lightly at all.

Doesn't 90 days suspension pale in comparison to sports? What do they do on a 2nd suspension, or 3rd, etc.?

Whitesoxfan23
09-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Not sure, about 2nd, but 3rd is termination.

SOXPHILE
09-08-2008, 10:06 AM
^More stupidity. I love it.

Hey, if you like it fine. Have fun. Hell, I've watched it a few times and I think it's hilarious, good for a laugh now and then. But are you really getting this worked up and defensive over something like wrastlin' ?

TomBradley72
09-08-2008, 10:34 AM

"major storylines"? "sports entertainment"? But we're supposed to give these "actors" the same respects as real professional athletes?

Whitesoxfan23
09-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Just because it is predetermined doesn't mean that they aren't talented.

kittle42
09-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Just because it us predetermined doesn't mean that they aren't talented.

This much is true.

jabrch
09-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Well, it's still questionable. I mean, I agree with all the above, of course, because it happened. But you tell me whether HHH would ever get suspended? Cena? Yeah, probably not.

HHH just would have no reason to violate the policy.

spiffie
09-08-2008, 03:42 PM
I still don't believe it. McMahon has used steroids himself. A great PR ploy would be to have a guy who needs time off for an injury, personal reasons, vacation, whatever, and announce it as a "suspension" to try to clean up their public image.
Whenever Vince McMahon feels the feds are breathing down his neck, he puts in place a real drug policy. That has been his SOP since the early 90's, when the feds busted George Zahorian and tried to get McMahon himself. For a couple of years they actually test, and suddenly almost everyone gets smaller. Then when they think the coast is clear again the testing slides back off the radar. I am not at all naive to McMahon's practices. But I think for the moment the testing is pretty close to legit. I'm sure it will stop being so eventually, but the last thing Vince wants is to get hauled in front of the same people who called out MLB.

Of course, the funny part is that there is public clamoring for testing at all for people who are not playing a competitive sport. I understand the idea that we don't want anyone doing roids who isn't doing it medically. But to me this is no different than demanding that promoters give Keith Richards a drug test before he goes on stage, or making sure that Vin Diesel isn't on roids before he acts in a movie.

Frontman
09-08-2008, 06:12 PM
"major storylines"? "sports entertainment"? But we're supposed to give these "actors" the same respects as real professional athletes?

In a word, yes.

They work as hard at their craft as many professional athletes, with some exceptions of course (then again, John Daly is an athlete; but I digress....)

And unlike professional athletes, professional wrestlers have ZERO representation and ZERO union benefits. They certainly don't have medical coverage.

It might not be your cup of tea; but considering that the WWE usually outsells all other sports DVDs each month (with some exceptions) and the business of professional wrestling as a whole makes millions of dollars annually; I wouldn't "dis" respect them either.