PDA

View Full Version : Ned Yost's Continued Stupidity

South Side Irish
08-18-2008, 09:55 PM
With the Brewers up 9-2 in the 9th, he sends CC Sabathia out to pitch the last frame. He loads the bases up twice, and ends up throwing 131 pitches. We all know he's a horse, but if he Brewers get to the playoffs and CC's out of juice, Milwaukee should hang Yost.

Sox Supporter
08-18-2008, 09:57 PM
That is beyond stupid. I wonder if the Milwaukee press will press him on the matter in the post-game.

twentywontowin
08-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Even with managers, your ego gets too big sometimes.

Example: Ditka and The Fridge at Super Bowl XX.

TDog
08-18-2008, 10:05 PM
The Brewers can ride Sabathia this year as hard as they want to. It isn't like they are worried about shortening his career.

South Side Irish
08-18-2008, 10:07 PM
The Brewers can ride Sabathia this year as hard as they want to. It isn't like they are worried about shortening his career.

Sure, but shouldn't they be a bit worried about October? I understand not giving a **** about after that, but I don't think they want to gas him before then.

South Side Irish
08-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Even with managers, your ego gets too big sometimes.

Example: Ditka and The Fridge at Super Bowl XX.

Still feel a bit badly for Walter...

veeter
08-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Couldn't agree more. C.C. must be begging to go back out each 9th inning. I know the cash register rings after each complete game, but at some point the owners that might sign him next year, could get concerned.

Oblong
08-18-2008, 10:52 PM
On a similar note, during the Tigers/Rangers game tonight they were talking about Nolan Ryan being President of the team. Apparantly he's going to order the team to disregard the 100 or so pitch count standard. He wants his pitchers throwing a lot of pitches like he did.

He should hire Dusty Baker.

EuroSox35
08-18-2008, 11:01 PM
I think the pitch count was also his season high

Optipessimism
08-18-2008, 11:09 PM
On a similar note, during the Tigers/Rangers game tonight they were talking about Nolan Ryan being President of the team. Apparantly he's going to order the team to disregard the 100 or so pitch count standard. He wants his pitchers throwing a lot of pitches like he did.

He should hire Dusty Baker.
There are a lot of old school types that think the pitch count stuff is way overblown, but this can't help the Rangers.

First of all, it's one thing if you're talking about a workhorse who is more like a Buehrle type in that he doesn't throw so hard and relies generally on pitches that don't mess with his elbow like a fastball and change-up combo. If you want those guys to go over 100 pitches regularly, that's probably fine. It's also not so bad when you're talking about pitchers working in cool temperatures or in a dome where the conditions are controlled.

In Texas, because of their infield, they need to develop strikeout pitchers and usually that means hard fastball and big breaking stuff. Those guys shouldn't be going too far above the 100-pitch mark, especially young players, and when you take the weather conditions into consideration in Arlington, it's a huge, huge, huge mistake to ignore the 100-pitch mark.

When you think about how hard it is for any team to draft and develop or sign free agent pitchers with the kind of stuff that will play well in Texas, you're talking about a near impossibility, but when you also consider that Texas is the No. 1 worst spot in the Major Leagues for pitchers to play, they're going to have a tough as hell time putting together any sort of respectable rotation. And then, on top of that, if you've got your team president ignoring the 100-pitch rule you'll have agents doing everything in their power to either keep their clients out of Texas or to make Texas pay a much higher price for their clients than anyone else.

So in short, Nolan Ryan is an idiot if he thinks this is going to work. All it will lead to is higher payroll, more injuries, more ruined careers, unhappy agents, and good players demanding to be traded. Just because a guy was one of the greatest pitchers ever doesn't mean he should be running a team.

Adele_H
08-18-2008, 11:11 PM
With the Brewers up 9-2 in the 9th, he sends CC Sabathia out to pitch the last frame. He loads the bases up twice, and ends up throwing 131 pitches. We all know he's a horse, but if he Brewers get to the playoffs and CC's out of juice, Milwaukee should hang Yost.

What a ****ing idiot.

I am sure Sabathia told him he wanted to go (to get a 'CG', presumably), but it's a good manager's job to put his foot down and do what's in the best interest of the team, with little regard to the player's individual ambitions.

And that 4-game choking at home against the semi-struggling Cubs last month that jump-started the Cubs season and virtually guaranteed the Northsiders a playoff berth, was beyond inexcusable.

And let's not forget about 2007 debacle...

Optipessimism
08-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Also agree on Yost. I've gone to so many Brewers games where I've sat there scratching my head the whole game. The guy is the worst manager in baseball.

JB98
08-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Yost is one of the worst game managers I've ever seen.

Sabathia will be damaged goods next year after the Yankees give him $170 million over eight years this offseason.

Adele_H
08-18-2008, 11:17 PM

Forget Ned Yost. Nolan Ryan easily takes the '****ing Idiot of the Year' award.

Hey Nolan, reality check: just because you were born with a rare ability to throw 100+ MPH and a near-indestructable arm, doesn't mean you know any more about developing successful pitchers than Michael Jordan does about running an NBA franchise.

thomas35forever
08-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Sabathia's arm's gonna be ruined by the time he hits free agency. Limits are going to have to be set and soon.

TheOldRoman
08-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Yost is one of the worst game managers I've ever seen.

Sabathia will be damaged goods next year after the Yankees give him $170 million over eight years this offseason.He is terrible, and should have been fired last season. He singlehandedly gave the Cubs a division championship.

doublem23
08-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Sabathia's arm's gonna be ruined by the time he hits free agency. Limits are going to have to be set and soon.

The Brewers don't care. They have no illusion about Sabathia being anything more than a rental. They're going to squeeze every pitch they can get out of him before someone else deals with the consequences of his ludicrous pitch counts.

hawkjt
08-18-2008, 11:57 PM
It is beyond stupid when you are up 9-1 ..pull him after 8. He will be going another 11 starts including playoffs so save him for another 88 innings. Geeezzz, he sounds like the second coming of Bevington.

DeadMoney
08-19-2008, 12:21 AM
I have to believe that part of tonight's decision has to do with the fact that he's decided to go with a 5-man rotation for the rest of the season (no matter the amount of off-days). In the next 2 weeks, they have 3 off-days (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/mil/schedule;_ylt=AisiMjoq2cKLhBbPv2Zf3_Ee0bYF), which means Sabathia's next two starts will be on 5-days rest and then 6-days rest.

Looking into it a little further, we're talking about a guy who threw 241 innings in 2007 (plus 15 innings in the post-season). If anyone is built for this type of work-load, it's CC Sabathia...

Through 18 Cle starts: 122 IP, 6.77 innings per start
Through 8 Mil starts: 64 IP, 8 innings per start

He has 7 starts remaining in the regular season (it COULD be 8, but I'll believe Ned Yost when he says he's going with (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Yost-says-Brewers-will-stick-with-five-man-rotat?urn=mlb,101322) a 5-man rotation for the rest of the year).

So, if he goes on his current Milwaukee pace (8 innings per start), he'll finish with 242.

With the exception of his first 4 starts in 2008, he's proved he can handle this type of work-load. Granted ... his 2007 post-season numbers are a different story, but I'd like to believe that those poor numbers are due more to 'nerves' than to being tired.

So, tonight's decision by Ned Yost can not (currently) be identified as 'right' or 'wrong'. From the Brewer's and Sabathia's perspective, it could be considered 'right' because he's only a rental and his pay-day increases with each CG. But, if they (and he) ultimately fail come October, the decision (although not directly related to this decision on August 19) could be considered 'wrong'. We shall see.

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 02:39 AM
I have to believe that part of tonight's decision has to do with the fact that he's decided to go with a 5-man rotation for the rest of the season (no matter the amount of off-days). In the next 2 weeks, they have 3 off-days (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/mil/schedule;_ylt=AisiMjoq2cKLhBbPv2Zf3_Ee0bYF), which means Sabathia's next two starts will be on 5-days rest and then 6-days rest.

Looking into it a little further, we're talking about a guy who threw 241 innings in 2007 (plus 15 innings in the post-season). If anyone is built for this type of work-load, it's CC Sabathia...

Through 18 Cle starts: 122 IP, 6.77 innings per start
Through 8 Mil starts: 64 IP, 8 innings per start

He has 7 starts remaining in the regular season (it COULD be 8, but I'll believe Ned Yost when he says he's going with (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Yost-says-Brewers-will-stick-with-five-man-rotat?urn=mlb,101322) a 5-man rotation for the rest of the year).

So, if he goes on his current Milwaukee pace (8 innings per start), he'll finish with 242.

With the exception of his first 4 starts in 2008, he's proved he can handle this type of work-load. Granted ... his 2007 post-season numbers are a different story, but I'd like to believe that those poor numbers are due more to 'nerves' than to being tired.

So, tonight's decision by Ned Yost can not (currently) be identified as 'right' or 'wrong'. From the Brewer's and Sabathia's perspective, it could be considered 'right' because he's only a rental and his pay-day increases with each CG. But, if they (and he) ultimately fail come October, the decision (although not directly related to this decision on August 19) could be considered 'wrong'. We shall see.

9-2 game.

http://forgottenjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/whitney_houston.jpg

N-to tha-I-t'tha-N-t'tha-E.......O-to tha-N-t'tha-EEEEEEEEEE.

palehozenychicty
08-19-2008, 08:12 AM
I can't believe that they kept him after last season. Sadly, if they hang on for the Wild Card, he'll probably stay another season.

PatK
08-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Can someone explain why Yost is regarded as such an idiot?

A couple of years ago, everyone made it seem like he was a genius.

I don't follow them closely enough to know why people have soured on him.

Optipessimism
08-19-2008, 12:14 PM

A couple of years ago, everyone made it seem like he was a genius.

I don't follow them closely enough to know why people have soured on him.

I thought he was a ****ty manager three years ago and I still think so now.

Bill Naharodny
08-19-2008, 12:22 PM
It is beyond stupid when you are up 9-1 ..pull him after 8. He will be going another 11 starts including playoffs so save him for another 88 innings. Geeezzz, he sounds like the second coming of Bevington.

I've been watching how Piniella lately has handled Zambrano, and I've thought THAT has been fairly idiotic -- regular pitch counts near 120, despite Zambrano having already been injured this year.

But, once again, Ned Yost demonstrates why he's the patron saint of dumb. His handling of C.C. last night was beyond moronic.

I think, top to bottom, the Cubs are a better team than Milwaukee. In a playoff series, of course, that means only a little. But Milwaukee's ability to give the Cubs a run in such a series is hampered by Milwaukee's: (a) failure to improve its bullpen for the stretch and playoffs; and (b) allowing of Yost to continue managing this team after last year's botch job.

Eddo144
08-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Forget Ned Yost. Nolan Ryan easily takes the '****ing Idiot of the Year' award.

Hey Nolan, reality check: just because you were born with a rare ability to throw 100+ MPH and a near-indestructable arm, doesn't mean you know any more about developing successful pitchers than Michael Jordan does about running an NBA franchise.
I totally agree. Sometimes the best players are the worst managers/coaches for that exact reason. Because they were blessed with unique talents, they don't see what it requires to bring about success in their players.

Unfortunately, I think Ozzie falls into this trap a little bit (though he was far from having unique talents) when he seems to favor free-swinging speedy guys with little power (Cabrera, Ozuna, Erstad) because he sees himself in them.

jabrch
08-19-2008, 02:26 PM

Because it's so easy on Playstation to win the WS every year.