PDA

View Full Version : Clayton Richard tomorrow

Adele_H
08-18-2008, 06:04 PM
per radio

Thigpen "57"
08-18-2008, 06:06 PM
So be it...

Here is to you Clayton, and to hoping you get your first MLB win.

His "stuff" has been fairly impressive considering he is a Sox farmhand. Hope he gets to bring that ERA down a lil. :smile:

Rockabilly
08-18-2008, 06:09 PM
i hope the bullpen is ready to pitch about 5 innings... we need Clayton to come up big tomorrow..

sox1970
08-18-2008, 06:09 PM
I stand corrected. Didn't think they would use him in the pen, and start two days later.

I'm still confused by the Broadway move in the first place.

turners56
08-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Clayton always seems to pitch worse against the teams that can't hit, like the Royals for example.

DumpJerry
08-18-2008, 06:12 PM
i hope the bullpen is ready to pitch about 5 innings... we need Clayton to come up big tomorrow..
Buehrle is going deep tonight. No worries.

UofCSoxFan
08-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Really hope Buerhls can go at least 7 today. I'd be happy with 4 from Richard tomorrow...5 would be great.

Taliesinrk
08-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Why no Broadway?

UofCSoxFan
08-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Clayton always seems to pitch worse against the teams that can't hit, like the Royals for example.

He's faced one team that can hit (the Rangers), one team that can hit in certain situations (the Twins), one team that in your words "can't hit" (even though they killed Buerhle that series as well) and pitched 1 inning against another team that can't hit (the A's).

Not really enough data points to comment on any trends.

His big thing is he has to throw strikes. A AAA team will kill you if you don't get ahead. Everyone's on scholarship in the major leagues. If these hitters can sit on one pitch, they will rake against you.

doublem23
08-18-2008, 06:16 PM

3 starts is really not enough data to be making statements like this.

doublem23
08-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Why no Broadway?

He was optioned to AAA after he beat Kansas City and per MLB rules, must stay there for 10 days minimum.

UofCSoxFan
08-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Why no Broadway?

Everything I've heard is that you have to sit in the minors for 10 days once demoted, unless there is an injury to your 25 man roster requiring a DL stint.

Daver has stated that this rule applies only to moving on and off the 40 man roster, but multiple newspaper sources have cited this 10 day rule as the reason. I will believe these guys, since I've read it in multiple places and it seems like the only reasonable explination. I honestly don't know either way.

btrain929
Why no Broadway?

Has to stay in the minors for 10 days after he was demoted. Hasn't been 10 days yet.

KyWhiSoxFan
Maybe they're going to try a tag team here: Start Richard and let him go four innings (he's been terrible in the 5th), and then bring in Poreda and let him just go through the order once. That should get the Sox through the sixth, or seventh inning in a best-case scenario, and then turn it over to the pen.

WhiteSox5187
I thought we were calling up Clayton just in case we needed him in the bullpen?? Why bring him up if he's going to start when we just sent down a guy who not only is capable of starting but is capable of looking GOOD against other teams too...a capability that Richard has yet to show us.

white sox bill
08-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Optioned LB back, they figured Sept. call up just days away and he'll be back

btrain929
08-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Maybe they're going to try a tag team here: Start Richard and let him go four innings (he's been terrible in the 5th), and then bring in Poreda and let him just go through the order once. That should get the Sox through the sixth, or seventh inning in a best-case scenario, and then turn it over to the pen.

Poreda isn't being brought up. If he was, he'd be starting the game.

wsf4l
08-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Do you think clayton will get sent down just like Lance did after his start so BROADWAY can come back up?

Adele_H
Everyone's on scholarship in the major leagues. If these hitters can sit on one pitch, they will rake against you.

Yep.

But ML hitters also crush off-speed mistakes like they're going out of style, so Richard better not magically lose his arm-slot/release point or poise tommorrow.

In short, Clayton.... keep 'em guessing, keep 'em reaching - then sneak up and blow 'em away. Simple enough :D:

UofCSoxFan
I thought we were calling up Clayton just in case we needed him in the bullpen?? Why bring him up if he's going to start when we just sent down a guy who not only is capable of starting but is capable of looking GOOD against other teams too...a capability that Richard has yet to show us.

I think they brought Richard up intending to use him in the pen if needed and then use someone else on Tuesday if Richard was used out of the pen(whether it be Poreda or whomever). The fact that he wasn't used more than an inning (which was probably his side day anyways) allows us to start him.

In hindsight, we probalby wouldn't have sent down Broadway, had we known our starters would have peformed well. But given how they were going, we just didn't have enough arms in the pen without making a move.

Adele_H
08-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Why no Broadway?

Maybe Sox brass, like me, wasn't impressed with any aspect of Lance Broadway's game? :dunno:

turners56
08-18-2008, 06:26 PM
3 starts is really not enough data to be making statements like this.

True, but if you were to judge his three starts as a whole, it would seem like he's gotten hit harder by the bad teams.

BadBobbyJenks
08-18-2008, 06:32 PM
I am glad we sent Broadway down to get that 1 inning of Richard in a 13-1 blow out.

hawkjt
08-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Hopefully Clayton can neutralize Ibanez,Ichiro and Clemens..a couple of tough lefty hitters ...bout all we can ask.
Throw strikes, stay ahead in the count and hope the defense actually helps him for a change.

btrain929
08-18-2008, 06:37 PM
I am glad we sent Broadway down to get that 1 inning of Richard in a 13-1 blow out.

And his 5.2 IP tomorrow, giving up 5 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk and 4 K's for his first MLB win.

delben91
08-18-2008, 06:38 PM
<Adele H> Richard rulz, Broadway drulz </Adele H>

btrain929
08-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Hopefully Clayton can neutralize Ibanez,Ichiro and Clemens..a couple of tough lefty hitters ...bout all we can ask.
Throw strikes, stay ahead in the count and hope the defense actually helps him for a change.

You mean Jeff Clement?

doublem23
08-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Maybe Sox brass, like me, wasn't impressed with any aspect of Lance Broadway's game? :dunno:

http://badgerblogger.com/img/broken_record.jpg

Don't get hurt patting yourself on the back.

BigP50
08-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I expect an easy win for Richard, if not trade him or send him down AGAIN

Tragg
08-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Richard's best is a lot better than Broadway's best as far as I've seen. But he's young and inconsistent. Seemed like the pen would be a good spot for him to get some work. Kind of odd starting 2 days after pitching in relief.
Trading him would be the worst move- selling low. We need more young pitchers anyway.

delben91
08-18-2008, 07:19 PM
I expect an easy win for Richard, if not trade him or send him down AGAIN

Definitely trade him if he doesn't set the world afire by his 4th start. That's plenty of time to assess his potential in the big leagues.

DUMP HIM NOW!!!!!

Problem is, if we dump Richard then we're stuck with Broadway, who apparently has vastly underwhelmed the Sox front office.

Oh woe is me.

Maybe Ken Hill is still available?

btrain929
08-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Richard's best is a lot better than Broadway's best as far as I've seen. But he's young and inconsistent. Seemed like the pen would be a good spot for him to get some work. Kind of odd starting 2 days after pitching in relief.
Trading him would be the worst move- selling low. We need more young pitchers anyway.

He threw like 10 pitches. It's not a big deal at all.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-18-2008, 07:24 PM

And there are not of lot of other options other than Richard within the Sox farm system for a fifth starter for next year (I'm assuming Contreras will not be ready April 1.)

Richard is definitely worth keeping. If he can't make it as a starter, I sure like his chances as a good lefty reliever a lot more than Boone Logan.

btrain929
08-18-2008, 07:29 PM
And there are not of lot of other options other than Richard within the Sox farm system for a fifth starter for next year (I'm assuming Contreras will not be ready April 1.)

Richard is definitely worth keeping. If he can't make it as a starter, I sure like his chances as a good lefty reliever a lot more than Boone Logan.

Indeed. If you need a K, bring in Thornton. If you need a groundball, bring in Richard.

gobears1987
08-18-2008, 07:33 PM
:?:Maybe Sox brass, like me, wasn't impressed with any aspect of Lance Broadway's game? :dunno:
Maybe you need to start using your brain. Broadway appears to be the real deal.

southside rocks
08-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Definitely trade him if he doesn't set the world afire by his 4th start. That's plenty of time to assess his potential in the big leagues.

DUMP HIM NOW!!!!!

Problem is, if we dump Richard then we're stuck with Broadway, who apparently has vastly underwhelmed the Sox front office.

Oh woe is me.

Maybe Ken Hill is still available?
:rolling:

kevingrt
08-18-2008, 08:01 PM
:?:

Lets not jump to conclusions. But it was anything but a bad start for Broadway.

LoveYourSuit
08-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Broadway, Richard, Poreda ...etc

Does it matter when we are facing Felix Hernandez?

jabrch
08-18-2008, 09:17 PM

Don't feed the trolls.

patbooyah
08-18-2008, 10:16 PM
The only thing that bothers me about this is that the Mariners actually hit lefties better than they do righties, so I'd have liked to see DJ or Lance go.

Oh, well. I still expect a win.

champagne030
08-18-2008, 10:25 PM

No, Broadway does not appear to be the real deal. He had a very nice start last season against the Royals and survived 5 innings against the Royals this season....after getting his **** hammered in AAA. I like the upside of Richard much more than Broadway. Either way, neither have any command at this point.........

Adele_H
08-18-2008, 10:46 PM

Let's just say your and mine definitions of "real deal" vary juuuust ever so slightly ;)

Then again, Broadway certainly proved a lot of doubters wrong in college, so maybe he's one of those Buerhle-esque 'natural born winner' types on the major league level, as well. I hope you're right.

Edited to add: why does it need to be the tired old "Richard vs. Broadway", your guy/my guy pissing contests? They both need to improve their respective games if they wish to stick around in the majors. This is silly.

WhiteSox5187
08-18-2008, 11:05 PM
I think Broadway might be a major league starter and a descent back end of the rotation guy, but he's not going to be a 1-2 guy like Danks and possibly Poreda.

RockJock07
08-19-2008, 12:48 AM

lol

doublem23
08-19-2008, 12:53 AM

That's probably an overstatement.

The real Lance Broadway exists somewhere between the "Lance Broadway is FREAKING awesome, man" folk and the "Lance Broadway would be the #3 starter on my 16'' softball team" camp.

That said, right now, Broadway > Richard.

BadBobbyJenks
08-19-2008, 01:05 AM
Broadway, Richard, Poreda ...etc

Does it matter when we are facing Felix Hernandez?

Well Felix does have an era of 5.01 against the Sox in four starts with 5 homeruns allowed. We can turn around anyone's fastball. Seattle does rely heavily on left handed hitters so if Clayton can contain them and Beltre we can definitely pull out a win.

chisoxfanatic
08-19-2008, 01:10 AM
Hopefully our offense hasn't tired out after these last couple of games, as we're gonna need it to come up big.

JGarlandrules20
08-19-2008, 01:32 AM
Well Felix does have an era of 5.01 against the Sox in four starts with 5 homeruns allowed. We can turn around anyone's fastball. Seattle does rely heavily on left handed hitters so if Clayton can contain them and Beltre we can definitely pull out a win.

2 home runs belong to Brian Anderson! It'd be nice if he could get the start.

Just glancing at the stats...Orlando Cabrera is 14 for 27 against Felix. :o:

PeteWard
08-19-2008, 10:46 AM
2 home runs belong to Brian Anderson! It'd be nice if he could get the start.

Just glancing at the stats...Orlando Cabrera is 14 for 27 against Felix. :o:

Sox will sweep unless Richard gets absolutely crushed.

jabrch
08-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Where's the Clay hate now?

rdivaldi
08-19-2008, 10:16 PM

Nice game pitched tonight by Clayton. His control is still not there, but sometimes you can be "effectively wild".

If I was a GM and given a choice of Richard vs. Broadway, it would be an easy choice. Lance is a hard worker, a nice kid and mentally tough. But you go with a left hander that can throw in the low/mid 90's with some workable offspeed pitches.

jabrch
08-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Nice game pitched tonight by Clayton. His control is still not there, but sometimes you can be "effectively wild".

If I was a GM and given a choice of Richard vs. Broadway, it would be an easy choice. Lance is a hard worker, a nice kid and mentally tough. But you go with a left hander that can throw in the low/mid 90's with some workable offspeed pitches.

I don't think either would ever be a #1 or a #2. I do believe that both could be very workable in the middle to back end of a rotation. I also think both may develop trade value. For KW, that's often better than developing into great pitchers as he can turn them into better players. Either way, I am glad Williams doesn't have to choose between Broadway or Richards. They are both nice pieces to the farm.

Hitmen77
08-19-2008, 11:46 PM

You obviously have learned nothing from WSI. If a player with potential is called up from the minors and struggles for a little while, he is garbage and will never improve and we never want to see him on the Sox again.

One good thing is that we are quickly approaching September 1. After that, the rosters expand and the Sox will have the luxury of carrying both guys without sending anyone down. Plus they'll be able to add Linebrink once he is healthy without displacing anyone from the roster.