PDA

View Full Version : The Official Fire Jerry Manuel thread

Jjav829
05-12-2002, 06:39 PM
Im not advocating it, but rather than see 20 threads of why he should be fired, put them all in here. :smile:

Viva Magglio
05-12-2002, 06:42 PM
I am not advocating it either, but I sure as hell don't like the job he's done! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

If we make the playoffs...
:JMstays

If we don't make the playoffs and there are no significant injuries...
:firejerry

Garrison
05-12-2002, 06:45 PM
I agree with Viva Maggs. Keep him unless we don't make the playoffs (barring injuries). Sure he is a moron at times but a few losses early in the season doesn't call for firing him just yet.

No playoffs=no Jerry.
:jerry
"I had better bring my 'A' game."

HawkDJ
05-12-2002, 06:51 PM
Lets keep in mind we shouldnt've even been in this position to begin with. We had the leadoff man on in the 9th and couldn't score. We got screwed in the bottom of the 9th but Eckstein just sitting there and getting hit by the pitch. I also remember having the bases loaded and popping up. This was a game we needed to win, and it would've been a major win to win a close game for the first time and avoid the sweep. Too bad. Now we have to think about it over an off day.

kermittheefrog
05-12-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Lets keep in mind we shouldnt've even been in this position to begin with. We had the leadoff man on in the 9th and couldn't score. We got screwed in the bottom of the 9th but Eckstein just sitting there and getting hit by the pitch. I also remember having the bases loaded and popping up. This was a game we needed to win, and it would've been a major win to win a close game for the first time and avoid the sweep. Too bad. Now we have to think about it over an off day.

Why are you defending such obvious stupidity? When have you ever seen a manager use an intentional walk to force the opposing team's best hitter to the plate? No one does this because it's a dumb idea!

NUKE_CLEVELAND
05-12-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

How's about that hang woof'em by Caballo in the at bat before the popup? If that gets down then 2 more runs score & we'd all be saying "Foulke you! " to the Angels.

Garrison
05-12-2002, 07:15 PM
We need to win close games to contend. Frankly Manuel hasn't helped us win close games and for the most part helps in the losing part. We haven't won a one-run game yet I don't think and hardly any close ones. It's either been a blowout win, a blowout loss, or a close loss. That's not the stuff champs are made of. No consistency. Those big wins were a lot of offense against mediocre teams (except the Mariners (3-3)) and I hope the Angels didn't show who we really are. We are better than this.

WhiteSoxWinner
05-12-2002, 08:54 PM
What I don't get is why he ALWAYS lets Clayton hit. I can't count how many games last year we are down by one or two and let Clayton who was hitting around .175 have a crack. Even last night, I'll admit we were down by three, but why would you let him hit with Lee on the bench? I mean, can we at least ACT like we are trying to win close ones late? I'll admit, the left side would have been brutal if we actually tied it (Valentine, Leifer, and Lee, maybe Graf to try to help out), but let's try to get to that point before we leave Royce in "for his glove".

doublem23
05-12-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Garrison
We haven't won a one-run game yet I don't think and hardly any close ones.

Please don't post stats that just aren't true...

By my best count, this loss makes the Sox 2-3 in 1-run games...

Check, to see if I'm right (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/schedule?team=chw)...

But the Sox won 6-5 over the Mariners Opening Day, and then won 4-3 over Baltimore on April 13.

They lost 7-6 at Seattle on April 3rd, 3-2 on May 5th in Oakland, and now, 6-5 in Anaheim.

Is it pretty? No. But we have won 1-run games.

Jerry_Manuel
05-13-2002, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Why are you defending such obvious stupidity? When have you ever seen a manager use an intentional walk to force the opposing team's best hitter to the plate? No one does this because it's a dumb idea!

If you fire Manuel, you'll have another idiot managing the team. The Sox we're going to lose this game no matter what Manuel did or didn't do.

RedPinStripes
05-13-2002, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

If you fire Manuel, you'll have another idiot managing the team. The Sox we're going to lose this game no matter what Manuel did or didn't do.

This is why i'd like to see Manuel go, but I don't have an answer for who could replace him. Unless we have an unknown god on the farm, there isn't much out there.

:garner
"I'm Available!"

Jerry_Manuel
05-13-2002, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
This is why i'd like to see Manuel go, but I don't have an answer for who could replace him. Unless we have an unknown god on the farm, there isn't much out there.

:garner
"I'm Available!"

If your answer is cheap, than our owner will be all over it.

Phil Garner that's the kind of manager we need. A guy with some fire!

RedPinStripes
05-13-2002, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

If your answer is cheap, than our owner will be all over it.

Phil Garner that's the kind of manager we need. A guy with some fire!

I think we'd see more of our own players and fans beating garner's ass. lol

ode to veeck
05-13-2002, 02:44 PM
because he put Parque in a tied ballgame against the As on April 26 after the guy hadn't thrown a pitch 84 mph in nearly two years and had been getting totally bombed in the minors (3 more HRs yesterday)

Jerry_Manuel
05-13-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I think we'd see more of our own players and fans beating garner's ass. lol

That's for sure! :)