PDA

View Full Version : The 10 most important players in MLB playoff chase

Fenway
08-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Interesting column in the Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2008/08/17/were_talking_pivotal_figures/?page=full

Mark Buehrle is considered the key to the White Sox hopes

asindc
08-18-2008, 12:51 PM
I noticed at the end of that piece the author assessed the current ROY candidates. Not one mention of Alexei Ramirez. Curious.:scratch:

soltrain21
08-18-2008, 01:01 PM
I noticed at the end of that piece the author assessed the current ROY candidates. Not one mention of Alexei Ramirez. Curious.:scratch:

They also make mention of Youk winning MVP.

hellview
08-18-2008, 02:26 PM
They also make mention of Youk winning MVP.

He's got the 4th highiest OPS in the AL. I don't think he should win, but I don't think he's crazy to mention him in the same breath as Hamilton/Quentin/Morneau.

hawkjt
08-18-2008, 03:32 PM

Evidently Alexei is at least 6th in the ROY consideration with Longoria,Murphy,Gallaraga,Blackburn and Ellsbury...no mention of Alexei who has better numbers than all the hitters on this list.
Floyd is just as much a rookie as Blackburn and has better numbers.

hellview
08-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Evidently Alexei is at least 6th in the ROY consideration with Longoria,Murphy,Gallaraga,Blackburn and Ellsbury...no mention of Alexei who has better numbers than all the hitters on this list.
Floyd is just as much a rookie as Blackburn and has better numbers.

Except Floyd isn't a rookie, he pitched over 50 MLB innings in 2006 with Philly and over 70 innings last season.

Alexi doesn't have better numbers then Longoria.

WhiteSox5187
08-18-2008, 05:27 PM
I think it's the Sox pitching staff as a whole. but like that article mentions, pitching can be contagious and it can be one of those things where if Buerhle strings together a couple of good outtings everyone all of a sudden gets hot. We have the capability of bashing teams to death, but if we are pitching like we did in the first half, forget about it. We're playoff bound.

I think the same is true for Boston. Yes it's important for Ortiz to do well, but if Beckett keeps getting shelled at home, the Sawx are in for a rough ride.