PDA

View Full Version : A's Fremont Stadium in trouble

Fenway
08-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Things not looking good for the new A's ballpark.

http://newballpark.blogspot.com/

Hitmen77
08-20-2008, 06:32 PM
The A's really need a new stadium. After many years of being a consistent playoff contender, they can't draw anyone to the Coliseum and they seem to be forced into a KC/Pittsburgh situation of having to always dump their good players.

The Cisco Field description sounds great. But, I don't know much about the location. I thought I read that the location isn't that great (too far away for most fans). Can any Bay Area Sox fans here shed some light on the problems with the Cisco Field proposal and whether it sounds like it could be a great park for the A's if it ever gets built?

08-20-2008, 06:40 PM
The A's really need a new stadium. After many years of being a consistent playoff contender, they can't draw anyone to the Coliseum and they seem to be forced into a KC/Pittsburgh situation of having to always dump their good players.

The Cisco Field description sounds great. But, I don't know much about the location. I thought I read that the location isn't that great (too far away for most fans). Can any Bay Area Sox fans here shed some light on the problems with the Cisco Field proposal and whether it sounds like it could be a great park for the A's if it ever gets built?

I thought it was an awesome idea right in the heart of the A's fan base. Close to San Jose, Pleasanton, Livermore. I thought it was also tied into the BART transportation system too which makes it easily accessible for all of the bay area.

Brian26
08-20-2008, 07:59 PM
The stadium should be built in time to showcase the prospects Beane's going to acquire in the 2012 Gio Gonzalez and Eric Patterson trades.

Tragg
08-20-2008, 08:30 PM
The stadium should be built in time to showcase the prospects Beane's going to acquire in the 2012 Gio Gonzalez and Eric Patterson trades.
LOL - if Beane were a football GM, he'd own 26 7th round draft choices for each year for the next decade.
Weren't his moves this year pretty close too Scheuler's in 97?

russ99
08-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Things not looking good for the new A's ballpark.

http://newballpark.blogspot.com/

Aw man, that would be a bummer. The A's really need to get out of Al Davis' silver & black hole.

Plus they'd bring in tons of south East Bay, San Jose and Silicon Valley baseball fans. As much as they like to deny it, Oakland's not really a major-league size town.

TDog
08-20-2008, 09:15 PM
I thought it was an awesome idea right in the heart of the A's fan base. Close to San Jose, Pleasanton, Livermore. I thought it was also tied into the BART transportation system too which makes it easily accessible for all of the bay area.

The Fremont deal has appeared dead for awhile because it hasn't been received well by A's fans.

One of the reasons A's fans have not received the plan as warmly as many outside the area would expect is that the stadium isn't tied to the BART system. The neighborhood looks like the set of a Mad Max movie, but the BART train stops across the street from the coliseum. The Capital Corridor train from Sacramento that stops at the stadium as well. Oakland is four stops from Dublin/Pleasanton on the BART, and the line is being extended out to Livermore, which would be five stops away. One angry fan I talked to Sunday said he wouldn't go to as many games if it meat transferring at Bay Fair and going all the way down to Fremont, especially with the BART not going directly to the proposed stadium site. (Going to Giants games requires taking the BART into the city and riding the Muni to the park.)

As nice as AT&T Park is, McAfee is substantially easier to get to from the Central Valley, where the A's has a large fan base. Getting to the proposed A's park in Fremont wouldn't figure to be easy.

cards press box
08-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Has A's ownership indicated what their next move would be if, in fact, the Freemont stadium is not built? Would the A's stay in McAfee Colliseum or would they explore other alternatives?

I've always thought the A's/Giants = White Sox/Cubs and, thus, I've always rooted for the A's to take a stronghold in the Northern California baseball market. One significant difference currently exists between Bay Area baseball and Chicago baseball. Unlike the Cubs (and like the Sox), the Giants are the team with the convenient, modern stadium and unlike the White Sox (and like the Cubs), the A's currently have an antiquated stadium.

08-21-2008, 10:39 AM
The Fremont deal has appeared dead for awhile because it hasn't been received well by A's fans.

One of the reasons A's fans have not received the plan as warmly as many outside the area would expect is that the stadium isn't tied to the BART system. The neighborhood looks like the set of a Mad Max movie, but the BART train stops across the street from the coliseum. The Capital Corridor train from Sacramento that stops at the stadium as well. Oakland is four stops from Dublin/Pleasanton on the BART, and the line is being extended out to Livermore, which would be five stops away. One angry fan I talked to Sunday said he wouldn't go to as many games if it meat transferring at Bay Fair and going all the way down to Fremont, especially with the BART not going directly to the proposed stadium site. (Going to Giants games requires taking the BART into the city and riding the Muni to the park.)

Thank you, that clarified some of what I thought that I had heard. So it isn't right on BART. That is kind of dumb. Were they planning on extending some kind of transport to the stadium then? I agree with squashing the stadium deal unless it is tied directly into the vast public trans system the Bay area has.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-21-2008, 10:56 AM

As nice as AT&T Park is, McAfee is substantially easier to get to from the Central Valley, where the A's has a large fan base. Getting to the proposed A's park in Fremont wouldn't figure to be easy.
How about the A's build a **** hole of a stadium, with terrible parking. They could then embrace losing, and still sell it out.

Average Homeboy
08-21-2008, 06:30 PM
http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/oakbpk.htm

Fenway
08-21-2008, 07:39 PM
There was some talk of a monorail from BART to the ballpark complex but nobody wants to pay for it. Another factor is Fremont despite being in the East Bay is more of a Giants town than the A's.

There has been some talk of building a new park at the existing complex but both the Raiders and Warriors are against it because it would cut down on parking and the city and county are broke.

One friend in Berkeley tells me the A's are looking at land at a horse track in adjacent Albany as well.

However you may soon hear rumblings from Portland trying to entice the A's to move. Fans in Portland are terrified that the Blazers will head north to Seattle where their owner lives and also a much larger TV market..

The Immigrant
08-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Sounds like a mess that only contraction could resolve. :cool:

PeteWard
08-22-2008, 06:29 AM
As long as it has a "No ****ing Horns" policy I don't give a shiny **** where it's built. :mad:

PeteWard
08-22-2008, 06:31 AM
Sounds like a mess that only contraction could resolve. :cool:

That ''mess" was the Twinkies five years ago. It's now 2008 and we still have a dozen or so more games in that thing they play in up there. :angry: