PDA

View Full Version : Starters In Relief On Side Session Days?

Lillian
08-18-2008, 11:18 AM
In view of the fact that starting pitchers routinely throw side sessions in between their starts, why couldn't they make a relief appearance, just on that side session day?

Perhaps not all starters are candidates for such a practice, however there are probably quite a few guys who could make a significant contribution in relief, while not suffering any adverse effect.

How many pitches do they typically throw on their side session day?
How much intensity do they bring to those sessions?

twentywontowin
08-18-2008, 11:21 AM
I remember Garland coming in for a relief appearance in 2006, but it was right before the All-Star break.

btrain929
08-18-2008, 11:23 AM
In view of the fact that starting pitchers routinely throw side sessions in between their starts, why couldn't they make a relief appearance, just on that side session day?

Perhaps not all starters are candidates for such a practice, however there are probably quite a few guys who could make a significant contribution in relief, while not suffering any adverse effect.

How many pitches do they typically throw on their side session day?
How much intensity do they bring to those sessions?

We have people for that. They compose the "bullpen."

doublem23
08-18-2008, 11:25 AM
If a starter were to hurt himself working a relief appearance (barring exceptional cirsumstances, such as a 20-inning game), that manager would be (rightfully so) chased out of town.

gogosox16
08-18-2008, 11:35 AM
I remember Garland coming in for a relief appearance in 2006, but it was right before the All-Star break.
If I remember correctly, that was the game that we played Boston in which in went 19 innings or so...

hi im skot
08-18-2008, 11:37 AM
If I remember correctly, that was the game that we played Boston in which in went 19 innings or so...

That's what I was thinking as well...

EDIT:

Looks like Vazquez came in for relief work:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200607090.shtml

LoveYourSuit
08-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Side sessions pitchers are only going 80-85% to work on location and sharpness. 80-85% will get torched at the ML level coming out of the pen.

UofCSoxFan
08-18-2008, 11:39 AM
First of all side sessions are practice sessions, giving pitchers the opportunity to work on stuff with the pitching coach standing 2 feet away. A close game in a pennant race is not the time for this. Second, as the season goes on, these side sessions decrease dramatiacally in an attempt to save pitchers arms.

In the final week of the season, could we see some of this? Possibly. Not 6 weeks out.

TDog
08-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Tony LaRussa and Jim Fregosi used to do it when they were managingthe Sox. It wasn't the reason they were run out of town, though.

Lillian
08-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Side sessions pitchers are only going 80-85% to work on location and sharpness. 80-85% will get torched at the ML level coming out of the pen.

If they only throw with that kind of low intensity, of course that wouldn't work. That explains why this isn't done.
Thanks for the response.

gogosox16
08-18-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm not agreeing with you here in which they only go 80-85%, because I have always been taught that the way you practice is the way you preform in games. Well I think they do give it their all, but I still wouldn't want them to come into games for bullpen unless if absolutely neccessary

hi im skot
08-18-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm not agreeing with you here in which they only go 80-85%, because I have always been taught that the way you practice is the way you preform in games. Well I think they do give it their all, but I still wouldn't want them to come into games for bullpen unless if absolutely neccessary

NO FEAR!

It's true. Pitchers are just getting a little bit of work in under the watchful of Coop. I saw Buehrle doing a session in Minnesota in '06 (right when the gates opened) and it was obvious he wasn't going all out.

voodoochile
08-18-2008, 12:08 PM

There it is. Side sessions are to stay loose and keep arm strength up. They aren't thrown under game conditions. It's a slightly more difficult version of playing catch.

Huisj
08-18-2008, 12:53 PM
The last guy I remember mentioning that he'd be open to doing that was Terry Mulholland when he was with the Cubs around 1998 or '99 or so. I don't know that it actually happened regularly, but I recall him saying he would do it if they needed a few innings in between his starts.