PDA

View Full Version : Sox to bring up Poreda?

BigP50
08-18-2008, 10:18 AM
White Sox may call up Poreda (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/62517)

MOD EDIT: COPYRIGHTED TEXT

Rockabilly
08-18-2008, 10:24 AM
I would love to see him pitch tomorrow...

doublem23
08-18-2008, 10:26 AM
I would love to see him pitch tomorrow...

I would, too... For the Barons.

Rockabilly
08-18-2008, 10:29 AM
I would, too... For the Barons.

who knows what he might do tomorrow.. maybe he can be the way Jenks was in 05. catch lighting in a bottle

eriqjaffe
08-18-2008, 10:31 AM
who knows what he might do tomorrow.. maybe he can be the way Jenks was in 05. catch lighting in a bottleEsteban Loaiza in 2003 was lightning in a bottle. Jenks in 2005 was just plain ready.

doublem23
08-18-2008, 10:31 AM
who knows what he might do tomorrow.. maybe he can be the way Jenks was in 05. catch lighting in a bottle

I would love to believe that but Jenks A) pitched out of the bullpen and B) has more than 1 killer pitch.

Trust me, I'm salivating at the prospect of a young lefty hitting 100 MPH on the gun, but Gio Gonzalez yesterday showed everyone what happens when you promote a kid with only 1 MLB-quality pitch in his repertoire.

Rockabilly
08-18-2008, 10:33 AM
I would love to believe that but Jenks A) pitched out of the bullpen and B) has more than 1 killer pitch.

Trust me, I'm salivating at the prospect of a young lefty hitting 100 MPH on the gun, but Gio Gonzalez yesterday showed everyone what happens when you promote a kid with only 1 MLB-quality pitch in his repertoire.

I know what you're saying but who else is going to start for us tomorrow.. Really don't want to see Richard getting the start..

LoveYourSuit
08-18-2008, 10:33 AM

I take Poreda's "one good stuff" pitch over Gio's any day of the week.

But still, that might not be enough to get ML hitters out for 5-6 innings.

I think the pen should have been the best spot to debut this kid.

oeo
08-18-2008, 10:34 AM

Huh? :scratch:

What he showed yesterday, is nibbling the outside corner with fastballs isn't going to work. He was throwing nothing but fastballs, and doing nothing but trying to hit the outside corner. When he couldn't hit it, he started throwing everything right over the meat of the plate.

The problem was pitch selection, not his actual stuff. He didn't feature his good curve ball very often, if at all, early in the game. If he establishes that early, it's quite a different game.

As for Poreda, I think he can survive up here with his fastball...just not as a starter. If Linebrink isn't going to come back 100%, I'd love to have Poreda up here in a relief role.

LoveYourSuit
08-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Even Richard's stuff look great yesterday for a limited 1 inning. I think Poreda can be lights out for 1 inning of work every other day.

gogosox16
08-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Even Richard's stuff look great yesterday for a limited 1 inning. I think Poreda can be lights out for 1 inning of work every other day.
If he could help us right now in the Bullpen, he should be up here. I think I would rather see Clayton pitch tomorrow just because now he has a better understanding of what he has to do to be successful, while Poreda has no experience and you would be throwing him into the fire at 21 years old. If anything, I think he should come up to help the bullpen for the time being

oeo
08-18-2008, 10:46 AM
If he could help us right now in the Bullpen, he should be up here. I think I would rather see Clayton pitch tomorrow just because now he has a better understanding of what he has to do to be successful, while Poreda has no experience and you would be throwing him into the fire at 21 years old. If anything, I think he should come up to help the bullpen for the time being

I think if Richard was going to pitch tomorrow, Ozzie wouldn't have put him out there for a garbage time 9th inning yesterday. That would have been Russell's job.

doublem23
08-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Huh? :scratch:

What he showed yesterday, is nibbling the outside corner with fastballs isn't going to work. He was throwing nothing but fastballs, and doing nothing but trying to hit the outside corner. When he couldn't hit it, he started throwing everything right over the meat of the plate.

The problem was pitch selection, not his actual stuff. He didn't feature his good curve ball very often, if at all, early in the game. If he establishes that early, it's quite a different game.

As for Poreda, I think he can survive up here with his fastball...just not as a starter. If Linebrink isn't going to come back 100%, I'd love to have Poreda up here in a relief role.

Pitch selection, stuff... whatever, Gonzalez showed yesterday he's not ready for this stage. Of course, I've seen only seen a very limited selection of Gio's work, but he was routinley rolling curveballs yesterday and not throwing anything for strikes with any sort of consistency... I don't know if he was intimidated by our hitters or if he just had a bad day, but he was only throwing 1 pitch with any sort of confidence and command and not shockingly, he got lit up.

balke
08-18-2008, 10:50 AM
I don't think he's probably ready, but they say he's headstrong. I don't think it'll necessarily crush his confidence or anything. Everyone seems to be confident in his fastball.

Like KW said, Alvarez and Buehrle were brought up in similar conditions and flourished. If its 1 start, I don't see the harm. I don't think bullpen as a starter is going to help this team overall. Left hander with a good fastball could go a long way.

gogosox16
08-18-2008, 10:52 AM
I don't think he's probably ready, but they say he's headstrong. I don't think it'll necessarily crush his confidence or anything. Everyone seems to be confident in his fastball.

Like KW said, Alvarez and Buehrle were brought up in similar conditions and flourished. If its 1 start, I don't see the harm. I don't think bullpen as a starter is going to help this team overall. Left hander with a good fastball could go a long way.
It won't go a long way with out secondary pitches. Hitters will just sit on his fastball and rock him. If he still needs to work on secondary pitches and their not able to be thrown consistently, then he needs to stay down and develop.

balke
08-18-2008, 10:54 AM
It won't go a long way with out secondary pitches. Hitters will just sit on his fastball and rock him. If he still needs to work on secondary pitches and their not able to be thrown consistently, then he needs to stay down and develop.

I guess there's really only one way to find out. They say a couple of secondary pitches have developed, not fully but they have progressed by a good amount. Just because they sit on the fastball doesn't mean they'll hit it. I could go either way on this, I'd like the Sox to wait, but its not the end of the world or Poreda's career if they give him a shot.

08-18-2008, 11:04 AM
They're really waiting til the last minute. It won't be Egbert because he pitched last night. If they don't have to use Russell or Richard tonight, my guess is we'll see a combo of those two guys tomorrow. Otherwise, it seems like their choices are Poreda or whoever they currently have on the 40 - Haeger maybe (doubtful though).

WhiteSoxBlog
08-18-2008, 11:05 AM
I think if Richard was going to pitch tomorrow, Ozzie wouldn't have put him out there for a garbage time 9th inning yesterday. That would have been Russell's job.
But Vazquez's pitch count was only at 91 and we saw that he can go up in the 120's. Especially with a giant lead yesterday, he could easily have finished the game, so there was really no need for him other than just for him to get used to the atmosphere again- or whatever. I'm not saying it wasn't an odd choice, but I don't we should count him out after throwing 13 pitches.

btrain929
08-18-2008, 11:19 AM

While I agree that Poreda more than likely isn't ready, Poreda has 20x better control than Gonzalez, and throwing a mid-high 90's fastball with sink on it wherever you want can go a long way.

Plus, we don't need a 9 inning shutout with 13 k's. We need 5-6 innings of 3 runs-or-less ball, preferably with no more than 1 walk.

We'll find out tonight who's going tomorrow....

hawkjt
08-18-2008, 11:23 AM
I vote for Richards. He only threw a handful of pitches yesterday and he is strong as a horse. Also think the pressure of the pennant race is really ramping up now and at least Richards has been out to the bump in a pressure packed situation already(twins game). I even think if he is a hair tired could work for him as he will not try to throw it thru the wall and let his natural movement work for him.
Poreda is too big a gamble,imo.

08-18-2008, 11:29 AM
I vote for Richards. He only threw a handful of pitches yesterday and he is strong as a horse. Also think the pressure of the pennant race is really ramping up now and at least Richards has been out to the bump in a pressure packed situation already(twins game). I even think if he is a hair tired could work for him as he will not try to throw it thru the wall and let his natural movement work for him.
Poreda is too big a gamble,imo.

Not a big deal but it's Clayton Richard, not Richards.

UofCSoxFan
08-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Not a big deal but it's Clayton Richard, not Richards.

I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by this. It's like when Cubs fans would refer to Kerry Wood as Kerry Woods when he first came up(which was a result of Tiger coming on around the same time). I used to bash Cubs fans for this and now I see Sox fans doing the same thing.

BigP50
08-18-2008, 11:49 AM
a game at home against the Mariners is the perfect time to bring him up IMO

hawkjt
08-18-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by this. It's like when Cubs fans would refer to Kerry Wood as Kerry Woods when he first came up(which was a result of Tiger coming on around the same time). I used to bash Cubs fans for this and now I see Sox fans doing the same thing.

Its monday. I have never called him richards before. I has a momentary lapse.
Actually, I did it intentionally just to see who was paying attention,class.:D:
You passed the test.

russ99
08-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Way too early to call up Poreda, IMO. It's one thing to dominate class-A hitters and entirely another to be able to handle a major league lineup, regardless of how bad Seattle may look this year.

The Sox really don't like to rush pitchers and I doubt the organization is ready to start his service time clock so soon either.

My vote's for Russell and/or Richard. If Richard starts and Russell relieves him I'll have my name in a Sox box score for the first time ever. :D:

RockJock07
08-18-2008, 12:12 PM

I agree with your first point but not your second. When Jenks came up he had his fastball, not the curveball that he has now, or at least to the degree that it is now. Granted when you are in the bullpen you can get by with a well located fastball if that's your only pitch but a starter may be different.

Gio didn't locate yesterday, that's why he was bad. Hawk says it every couple of games, A well located fastball is the best pitch in baseball.

hi im skot
08-18-2008, 12:13 PM

I'm pretty sure it was an honest mistake.

thomas35forever
08-18-2008, 12:33 PM
If he is brought up, I hope he's only brought in when the Sox are up by ten runs. If only his fastball is fully developed, then it'll be easy for hitters to catch up to him. Let him stay down and develop a changeup and a curve.

Konerko05
08-18-2008, 12:53 PM
I agree with your first point but not your second. When Jenks came up he had his fastball, not the curveball that he has now, or at least to the degree that it is now. Granted when you are in the bullpen you can get by with a well located fastball if that's your only pitch but a starter may be different.

Jenks' had the most electric "stuff" of his Major League career in his rookie season. His curveball was insane. His curveball this year has almost been nonexistent.

I_Liked_Manuel
08-18-2008, 12:53 PM
So, in the stretch run of the tightest divisional race I can remember us being in, we're going to bring up a guy to start that has 1 plus pitch? What a joke. If anything, with 39 games left we should be going with a 4 man rotation and a spot start here or there for Broadway.

balke
08-18-2008, 01:26 PM
So, in the stretch run of the tightest divisional race I can remember us being in, we're going to bring up a guy to start that has 1 plus pitch? What a joke. If anything, with 39 games left we should be going with a 4 man rotation and a spot start here or there for Broadway.

No thanks to the 4 man rotation. There are 2 young pitchers on the team, and Danks had fatigue problems last season. There's nothing wrong with giving a young arm a shot to show what he's got so far. If he gets this start, and Broadway gets the next, that's probably enough time for Linebrink to come back. At that point, Richard can start.

ajismyhero
08-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Definitely not looking to move to a 4-man rotation to tire out the arms before (fingers crossed) October. Also, kind of hoping Richard doesn't get another start, but not really sure about Poreda.

sox1970
08-18-2008, 01:33 PM

I find it strange that they may use Poreda as well, but I'm not big on a 4-man rotation this soon.

If they're going to pitch anyone on short rest, I hope it's Buehrle and Vazquez, and not Floyd and Danks. They haven't pitched this many innings before.

I_Liked_Manuel
08-18-2008, 01:42 PM
If we go to a 4 man rotation, we're looking at 1 to 2 extra starts for each guy. You don't play 120 some games, only to trot out whatever has a pulse that can (hopefully) get the ball over the plate for 8 of the remaining games because you don't want to add 12 or 13 innings onto each of a few guys' arms. It wouldn't even be an issue for Buehrle and Vazquez, and Danks and Floyd have been on strict pitch counts for the entire season.

balke
08-18-2008, 02:48 PM
If we go to a 4 man rotation, we're looking at 1 to 2 extra starts for each guy. You don't play 120 some games, only to trot out whatever has a pulse that can (hopefully) get the ball over the plate for 8 of the remaining games because you don't want to add 12 or 13 innings onto each of a few guys' arms. It wouldn't even be an issue for Buehrle and Vazquez, and Danks and Floyd have been on strict pitch counts for the entire season.

I think realistically this would be just a test. He's not being handed 8 starts, if anything I think he'll be used against teams that have troubles against LHP. they can go back and forth between he and Broadway, and bullpen starts, while even occasionally sneaking in an extra start for Buehrle or Vasquez if needed.

Best case scenario, Poredo or Broadway looks fantastic and they can use one or the other the rest of the season. If both fail, move on to plan C.