PDA

View Full Version : Fay Could Force Rays to Move Games

Viva Medias B's
08-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Fay (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#FAY), currently a tropical storm that could strengthen to a Category 1 hurricane, has threatened to force the Rays to move games scheduled at Tropicana Field this week to another city, probably Turner Field in Atlanta or Dolphin Stadium in Miami Gardens. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale is outside of Fay's "cone on uncertainity."

Link (http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/aug/18/180011/sp-storm-could-disrupt-angels-series/sports-rays/)

BringBackBlkJack
08-18-2008, 09:52 AM
God forbid a "home team" win any games in Atlanta...

I did see the Braves beat Santana to complete a sweep of the Mets but all of the other Braves games I've been to this year have been losses.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-18-2008, 10:07 AM
When I first read this, I thought Faye Vincent was forcing Tampa to move their home games. :redface:

Time for more coffee.

WhiteSox5187
08-18-2008, 12:16 PM
When I first read this, I thought Faye Vincent was forcing Tampa to move their home games. :redface:

Time for more coffee.
That's what i thought too!

Fenway
08-18-2008, 12:48 PM

Time for more coffee.

so did I :tongue:

ChiSoxGirl
08-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Fay (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#FAY), currently a tropical storm that could strengthen to a Category 1 hurricane, has threatened to force the Rays to move games scheduled at Tropicana Field this week to another city, probably Turner Field in Atlanta or Dolphin Stadium in Miami Gardens. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale is outside of Fay's "cone on uncertainity."

Link (http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/aug/18/180011/sp-storm-could-disrupt-angels-series/sports-rays/)

Looking at a weather map of Florida, it's raining like hell in the Jupiter/West Palm Beach/Miami area. The Palm Beach Cardinals game for tonight has already been postponed because of the storm. There's a scheduled FSL off-day tomorrow, so by the time the team resumes play, things should be fine. I'd guess Miami is probably the most likely of places for the Rays to call home for a few days.

cws05champ
08-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Looking at a weather map of Florida, it's raining like hell in the Jupiter/West Palm Beach/Miami area. The Palm Beach Cardinals game for tonight has already been postponed because of the storm. There's a scheduled FSL off-day tomorrow, so by the time the team resumes play, things should be fine. I'd guess Miami is probably the most likely of places for the Rays to call home for a few days.

We are getting outer rain bands of the storm right now here in Boca Raton (Del Boca Vista), but the center of the storm looks like it will make landfall as a Cat 1 hurricane between ft. Myers and Tampa on Tuesday. Have to start taking some of the backyard stuff from outside to inside so we don't lose it!! Miami is under tropical storm warning too, so I doubt they'd play there.

C-Dawg
08-18-2008, 02:52 PM

Me, too!

Everyone knows Bowie Kuhn would have allowed them to stay!

Oblong
08-18-2008, 10:51 PM

Time for more coffee.

As did I. I thought he bought the team or something. I even clicked on the link to see "what's up with this?"

ChiSoxGirl
08-18-2008, 11:18 PM
We are getting outer rain bands of the storm right now here in Boca Raton (Del Boca Vista), but the center of the storm looks like it will make landfall as a Cat 1 hurricane between ft. Myers and Tampa on Tuesday. Have to start taking some of the backyard stuff from outside to inside so we don't lose it!! Miami is under tropical storm warning too, so I doubt they'd play there.

I was texting my friend in Jupiter after the game tonight and he said it's just a bad rainstorm down there now and that he's at a "hurricane party" and is fine.

Is it really windy or is that not a problem with the outer rain bands?

RockJock07
08-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Atlanta would probably make the most sense, although Fay will head up there soon enough, I would cancel tuesday's game and play a doubleheader on Wednesday, Fay should be a TD at that point.

I used to live in FL, Vero Beach actually, and I remember some of the Hurricane's, although can me soft, Tornado's scare me a hell of alot more.

dcb56
08-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Scheduling home games in Houston and Florida during the peak of hurricane season?

Stupid Bud Selig can't he do anything right...

cws05champ
08-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Atlanta would probably make the most sense, although Fay will head up there soon enough, I would cancel tuesday's game and play a doubleheader on Wednesday, Fay should be a TD at that point.

I used to live in FL, Vero Beach actually, and I remember some of the Hurricane's, although can me soft, Tornado's scare me a hell of alot more.
This one has not been bad at all...just a lot of wind in spurts and it dumped about 8-10 " of rain overnight. Although we did have a tornado off shoot of the tropical storm that touched down about 15 miles from here last night as well. I knew the storm was not going to be that bad but was still uneasy about going to sleep last night.

Viva Medias B's
08-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Scheduling home games in Houston and Florida during the peak of hurricane season?

Stupid Bud Selig can't he do anything right...

Well, they can't make the Astros, Rays, and Marlins take four-week road trips.

dcb56
08-20-2008, 02:55 AM
Well, they can't make the Astros, Rays, and Marlins take four-week road trips.

Why not? People seem to want half the league to start on the road for at least the first couple weeks of the season because it might be too cold outside. Is that any less realistic? Seems easy enough to me...