PDA

View Full Version : 7 Year old named "Wrigley Fields" to throw out 1st pitch at Cubs game

SaltyPretzel
08-18-2008, 05:11 AM
The parents should be thrown in jail. It's surprising the Cubs endorse such stupidity.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-il-wrigleypitch,0,6536523.story
(http://http//www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-il-wrigleypitch,0,6536523.story)

nccwsfan
08-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Yet they cannot find a way to let an 104 year old Cubs fan throw out the first pitch.

tstrike2000
08-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Maybe they'll nickname him W.C. Fields for short and have the all of the early 1900's covered.

JohnnyInnsbrook
08-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Any one know if this is the same Kathy fields that taught at Sandburg about 8 or 9 years ago?

soxpride724
08-18-2008, 10:37 AM
I wonder if my neighbor's dog "Wrigley" can accompany him for the first pitch.

thomas35forever
08-18-2008, 01:34 PM
This is a different "Wrigley Fields" from the baby that was born last year right before the playoffs.

eriqjaffe
08-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Kid's getting off easy. If Dusty was still managing the Cubs, he'd probably have to throw 135 pitches.

skottyj242
08-18-2008, 01:41 PM
He's probably got better range that Josh Fields.

Gammons Peter
08-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Poor kid, does she smell like urine?

nccwsfan
08-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Kid's getting off easy. If Dusty was still managing the Cubs, he'd probably have to throw 135 pitches.

:rolling:

Konerko05
08-18-2008, 02:44 PM

Yes. It was a "water" birth in the trough.

SaltyPretzel
08-18-2008, 02:49 PM

It's actually a boy.

RadioheadRocks
08-18-2008, 03:00 PM
This is a different "Wrigley Fields" from the baby that was born last year right before the playoffs.

Yikes, you mean there's more than one??? :shocked:

Gammons Peter
08-18-2008, 03:23 PM
It's actually a boy.

thats even worse

Foulke You
08-18-2008, 03:54 PM
The Sun Times also covered this story and apparently, little "Wrigley" was delivered by a diehard Sox fan who had reservations about doing the delivery when he found out what they were naming him. The father said the doc's words were "I don't know if I can do this". :tongue:

My lord does the media love a good Cubs fluff piece. I'm sure somewhere Hangar is having a fit.:D:

C-Dawg
08-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I wonder if my neighbor's dog "Wrigley" can accompany him for the first pitch.

Its scary; I have met or heard of at least a half dozen "Wrigley" dogs in the past year or so.

MeteorsSox4367
08-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I wonder if the kid will warm up by throwing a towel in the bullpen. By the way, naming the kid "Wrigley Fields" makes me wanna puke on my monitor.

dwalteroo
08-18-2008, 04:19 PM
That's it, if I ever have a son, I'm naming him U.S. Cellular.

Foulke You
08-18-2008, 04:53 PM
That's it, if I ever have a son, I'm naming him U.S. Cellular.
I'm having two children. One named Comiskey, the other named Cell. My dog will be named 35th and my pet rabbit will be named Shields. I will then call the Trib and Sun Times to do a fluff piece on my rabid fandom. :tongue:

white sox bill
08-18-2008, 06:31 PM
I think Sadaam or Bin or Adolf would be better names

alohafri
08-18-2008, 07:05 PM
This kid is going to take some SERIOUS abuse in junior high school.

30DaysintheHole
08-18-2008, 07:19 PM
There's a kid out in my neck of the woods named Clark Addison. I told my son to introduce himself as "Thirty Fifth Shields."

Frontman
08-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Yet they cannot find a way to let an 104 year old Cubs fan throw out the first pitch.

Got it nailed on the head there. See, the kid celebrates what the Cubs want people to focus on, namely the ballpark.

The 104 year old is a living reminder that they haven't gotten it done since he was 4 years old.

RadioheadRocks
08-20-2008, 03:33 AM

"Kick Me" signs are already prepared.

TommyJohn
08-20-2008, 10:12 AM
That's almost as bad as the father who wanted to raise his son to be bilingual, so his wife spoke to the kid in English and he spoke to him in Klingon. A friend of mine (and confirmed Trekkie) said "that would not make him bilingual, that would make him weird."

october23sp
08-23-2008, 08:50 PM

Yeah until he tells the story about how when he was 7 he threw the first pitch for the Cubs. My kids name will be Comisky.

Rocky Soprano
08-23-2008, 09:39 PM
My kids name will be Comisky.

Comisky?

LongLiveFisk
08-23-2008, 11:30 PM
God Almighty, I feel sorry for that poor kid. What a STUPID way to show one's Cubbie support. :rolleyes:

twentywontowin
08-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Yeah until he tells the story about how when he was 7 he threw the first pitch for the Cubs. My kids name will be Comisky.

My eight year old cousin has thrown out multiple pitches at Cardinals games. I don't think he is any cooler at school. :D:

Ziggy S
08-24-2008, 12:51 AM
Marshall Fields is nine years of age and already hits 85 on the gun with his fastball.

:hawk:

That's the best nine old pitcher I've ever seen in my life. Granted, I haven't seen any other nine year old pitchers, but he's the best and I should know.

Lefty34
08-24-2008, 01:45 AM
The Sun Times also covered this story and apparently, little "Wrigley" was delivered by a diehard Sox fan who had reservations about doing the delivery when he found out what they were naming him. The father said the doc's words were "I don't know if I can do this". :tongue:

My lord does the media love a good Cubs fluff piece. I'm sure somewhere Hangar is having a fit.:D:

I sincerely hope almost every part of that story is false. A delivery doctor, no matter what team he reps, should have no business even voicing his opinion on what the child should be named, regardless of what sports team he/she is named after. If it is actually true (and I hope to my personal God it is not) that this doctor even CONSIDERED refusing treatment based on SPORTS TEAM AFFILIATION, he/she should be promptly sued and sent to prison. This story, if it were actually true, would be a huge mark on the heart of every Sox fan.

Nellie_Fox
08-24-2008, 02:17 AM
I sincerely hope almost every part of that story is false. A delivery doctor, no matter what team he reps, should have no business even voicing his opinion on what the child should be named, regardless of what sports team he/she is named after. If it is actually true (and I hope to my personal God it is not) that this doctor even CONSIDERED refusing treatment based on SPORTS TEAM AFFILIATION, he/she should be promptly sued and sent to prison. This story, if it were actually true, would be a huge mark on the heart of every Sox fan.My god, get a sense of humor. I'm sure the obstetrician was being facetious. I'd have said the same kind of thing in that situation, but I wouldn't have been serious.

StillMissOzzie
08-24-2008, 02:34 AM
Marshall Fields is nine years of age and already hits 85 on the gun with his fastball.

:hawk:

That's the best nine old pitcher I've ever seen in my life. Granted, I haven't seen any other nine year old pitchers, but he's the best and I should know.

Did they have to rename the kid Macy?

SMO
:tongue:

alohafri
08-24-2008, 11:19 AM
I sincerely hope almost every part of that story is false. A delivery doctor, no matter what team he reps, should have no business even voicing his opinion on what the child should be named, regardless of what sports team he/she is named after. If it is actually true (and I hope to my personal God it is not) that this doctor even CONSIDERED refusing treatment based on SPORTS TEAM AFFILIATION, he/she should be promptly sued and sent to prison. This story, if it were actually true, would be a huge mark on the heart of every Sox fan.

Sued AND sent to prison? Even if the story was true, and the doctor was being serious, what laws were broken? What were the family's losses? Good Lord!

beckett21
08-24-2008, 12:49 PM
My god, get a sense of humor. I'm sure the obstetrician was being facetious. I'd have said the same kind of thing in that situation, but I wouldn't have been serious.

I kid with Cub fans in the office regularly, and vice versa. Most people are nervous in a doctor's office to begin with, so it's a good tension breaker.

It's absurd for anyone to honestly think the OB was serious. Without actually being there, I can tell you with 99.99999% certainty that the guy was joking.

The Hippocratic Oath does not exclude Cub fans, unfortunately. Whether or not parents should be allowed to saddle a child with a joke of a name for said child's life is another story. If anyone should be sued or locked up here, it's not the OB. Save the cutsey name for the dog.

LongLiveFisk
08-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Whether or not parents should be allowed to saddle a child with a joke of a name for said child's life is another story. If anyone should be sued or locked up here, it's not the OB. Save the cutsey name for the dog.

Bingo.

(Hey, that's a good name for a dog too.) :D:

Lefty34
08-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Sued AND sent to prison? Even if the story was true, and the doctor was being serious, what laws were broken? What were the family's losses? Good Lord!

Well one could make a criminal case for criminal negligence if (God forbid) anything should happen to the baby as a direct result of the doctor's refusal of treatment.

On the civil side, given his words (if they are true), he could be sued for intentional infliction of emotional distress if (God still forbid) something were to happen to the baby as a direct result of his refusal to provide treatment. And if that is not enough his negligence in refusing treatment based on his own personal sports team affiliation could be construed as a tort. Good enough for ya?

beckett21
08-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Well one could make a criminal case for criminal negligence if (God forbid) anything should happen to the baby as a direct result of the doctor's refusal of treatment.

On the civil side, given his words (if they are true), he could be sued for intentional infliction of emotional distress if (God still forbid) something were to happen to the baby as a direct result of his refusal to provide treatment. And if that is not enough his negligence in refusing treatment based on his own personal sports team affiliation could be construed as a tort. Good enough for ya?

You do understand that the doctor was joking, right?

BTW, as a doctor you are not obligated to treat anyone and everyone. Patients get 'fired' every day due to noncompliance, belligerence, and other reasons. Not all doctors accept all forms of insurance either, Public Aid being one of them that many refuse to accept. It is an open system, but you can't always see who you want when you want. The real world does not work that way.

Unless the delivery was a medical emergency, it very easily could have been handled by one of his partners or associates with no harm done to mother or child. Of course when there is a doctor-patient relationship established, the doctor does have an obligation to the patient to a high degree. If however you refuse to follow my recommended course of treatment, I have the right as a physician to discharge you with cause. Usually the patient is given a 30-day grace period to be seen until which time they can transfer their care to another physician.

Of course this is all hypothetical because, naturally, there was no cause here and the doctor was joking.

eriqjaffe
08-25-2008, 01:18 PM
When my son was born, the OB (who wasn't the OB my wife had been seeing - he was in the middle of another delivery when my wife went into labor) came in and joked that my wife "looked like crap."

Now, this doctor was well-known around the medical group and hospital as a guy who tried to lighten the mood with humor of this nature - most people, apparently, responded positively to it, but it always rubbed my wife the wrong way. Afterwards, she wrote a very angry letter to the medical group about it, and he actually called a couple days later to apologize for upsetting her.

At no point did we consider a lawsuit, however.

OldRomanPizza
08-25-2008, 06:21 PM
I think the odds are quite good that this child will want to be done with baseball by the time he starts developing critical thought.

areilly
08-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Joan if I have a girl. Definitely.