PDA

View Full Version : Ken Harrelson isn't Hawk Harrelson?

getonbckthr
08-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Watching this interview on Comcast with Hawk he pretty much just admitted to having I guess it would be called a split personality. He actually refers to "Hawk" as a completely different person than himself. Said he has been to a psychologist for it and everything. I wonder if i'm split between a John and a Moose?

EDIT:Don't be a complete ****ing dumbass and try to leech images from another site, mmkay?

turners56
08-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Watching this interview on Comcast with Hawk he pretty much just admitted to having I guess it would be called a split personality. He actually refers to "Hawk" as a completely different person than himself. Said he has been to a psychologist for it and everything. I wonder if i'm split between a John and a Moose?

What? Weird...

EMachine10
08-17-2008, 07:39 PM
After reading his book, it sort of alludes to "Hawk" being more of his persona than himself. I never would have taken it that far to think of it as a split personality, though, so this sounds interesting.

turners56
08-17-2008, 07:41 PM
After reading his book, it sort of alludes to "Hawk" being more of his persona than himself. I never would have taken it that far to think of it as a split personality, though, so this sounds interesting.

So Hawk isn't such a homer when watching the games at home?

ilsox7
08-17-2008, 07:42 PM
He has said this for years. Decades, really.

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 08:27 PM

Yaz won his Triple Crown using 3 distinctly different personalities - one for each corresponding statistical category.

I personally think it's tantamount to cheating, but whatever.

Patrick134
08-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Which one was the GM for the White Sox ? Because I like the other one better.

Daver
08-17-2008, 08:55 PM
EDIT:Don't be a complete ****ing dumbass and try to leech images from another site, mmkay?

Maybe he didn't realize that leeching bandwidth was a crime.

I am not ruling out the possibility that he is a complete idiot though.

getonbckthr
08-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Maybe he didn't realize that leeching bandwidth was a crime.

I am not ruling out the possibility that he is a complete idiot though.
I didn't know it was problem if I started the same topic at multiple places. Sorry.

UofCSoxFan
08-17-2008, 08:58 PM

Yeah saw this interview...I like how Hawk kept saying "This one psychiatrist says its actually pretty common."

It was weird...it wasn't like he was telling himself "Be the Hawk, get the Swagger...he said he would tell himself "Ken, this is a big at-bat...step aside and let Hawk hit."

My sister's a pyschology PhD student (granted she's not an MD candidate like Hawk's guy) and I'm going to have to ask her about this one.

Daver
08-17-2008, 09:15 PM
I didn't know it was problem if I started the same topic at multiple places. Sorry.

What does that have to do with leeching bandwidth?

Taliesinrk
08-17-2008, 09:44 PM
What the hell is leeching bandwith anyway?

whitesoxwilkes
08-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Hotlinking an image from another site and embedding it into a post. You're taxing the "mother" site's servers and it tends to piss off the admins there. In getonbckthr's case, the site admins had a profane but amusing image which inserted in place of the original image.

Taliesinrk
08-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Hotlinking an image from another site and embedding it into a post. You're taxing the "mother" site's servers and it tends to piss off the admins there. In getonbckthr's case, the site admins had a profane but amusing image which inserted in place of the original image.

Well thanks - apparently, I won't be doing that anytime soon

Daver
08-17-2008, 10:01 PM

Wilkes is correct. Some giant sites like MLB.com and ESPN.com don't care if you do it, their bandwidth bill is huge anyway, some huge sites like the Chicago Trib bitch about it because they can, and small sites with no advertising like us can get screwed if someone leeches one of our images someplace where it will get a million views, because we end up paying for the traffic of every view. Bandwidth is the coin of the internet, and when stolen it can't be returned.

BRDSR
08-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Yaz won his Triple Crown using 3 distinctly different personalities - one for each corresponding statistical category.

I personally think it's tantamount to cheating, but whatever.

Hillarious. Well done.

08-17-2008, 10:17 PM

I love this.

I another thread, I call a poster "not smart" and get threatened with banishment under the personal attact section of the WSI forum rules.

Apparently I should have called them a "complete ****ing dumbass".

Daver
08-17-2008, 10:19 PM
I love this.

I another thread, I call a poster "not smart" and get threatened with banishment under the personal attact section of the WSI forum rules.

Apparently I should have called them a "complete ****ing dumbass".

Nobody makes you post here. If you dislike the way things are done here, then don't stay.

08-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Nobody makes you post here. If you dislike the way things are done here, then don't stay.

Practice what you preach.

Daver
08-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Practice what you preach.

I do. All decisions here are made by me, and they are final.

Next time come up with a valid point.

08-17-2008, 10:29 PM
I do. All decisions here are made by me, and they are final.

Next time come up with a valid point.

It's apparent your associates don't.

It's pointless to argue with you anyway, I get it.

Daver 1 - Tommy 0

Daver
08-17-2008, 10:46 PM
It's apparent your associates don't.

It's pointless to argue with you anyway, I get it.

Daver 1 - Tommy 0

My associates are here because I chose them for their positions.

I repeat, if you do not like it here, post elsewhere, is that simple statement all that difficult to understand?

eriqjaffe
08-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Well, I dunno about Hawk, but this thread has certainly developed a split personality.

SoxNation05
08-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Daver: admit your defeat bra.

Daver
08-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Daver: admit your defeat bra.

What does underwear have to do with this?

How much simpler can I make it, if you don't like it here, don't post here. I would think even a pinhead could understand that.

SoxNation05
08-17-2008, 11:10 PM
What does underwear have to do with this?

How much simpler can I make it, if you don't like it here, don't post here. I would think even a pinhead could understand that.

I would think a pin head could understand that you're wrong.

08-17-2008, 11:12 PM
My associates are here because I chose them for their positions.

I repeat, if you do not like it here, post elsewhere, is that simple statement all that difficult to understand?

I heard you Daver.

08-17-2008, 11:13 PM

Obviously not because he doesn't.

SluggersAway
08-17-2008, 11:14 PM

If you do not understand that the owners of private property do not have to play by the same rules as the guests then you have a lot to learn about this world.

Daver
08-17-2008, 11:18 PM

Wrong about what, exactly?

08-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Wrong about what, exactly?

Mind****ing his way to victory once again. Comical.

fed ex 4 pasqua
08-17-2008, 11:19 PM
If you do not understand that the owners of the private property in question enjoy greater benefits than the guests you have a lot to learn.
What does ownership have to do with acting like an ******* to other people?

TheCommander
08-17-2008, 11:22 PM
:popcorn:

SluggersAway
08-17-2008, 11:25 PM
What does ownership have to do with acting like an ******* to other people?

This all started because someone started whining that the admin was not playing by the "WSI forum rules."

And, I am simply pointing out that the owner of private property enjoys greater privileges than the guest, and thus need not play by the same rules he imposes on his guests.

Or in Daver's words:"If you don't like it here, don't post here."

MetroPD
08-17-2008, 11:27 PM

Um okay?!?

08-17-2008, 11:29 PM
This all started because someone started whining that the admin was not playing by the "WSI forum rules."

And, I am simply pointing out that the owner of private property enjoys greater privileges than the guest, and thus need not play by the same rules he imposes on his guests.

But I do like it here.

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Wilkes is correct. Some giant sites like MLB.com and ESPN.com don't care if you do it, their bandwidth bill is huge anyway, some huge sites like the Chicago Trib bitch about it because they can, and small sites with no advertising like us can get screwed if someone leeches one of our images someplace where it will get a million views, because we end up paying for the traffic of every view. Bandwidth is the coin of the internet, and when stolen it can't be returned.

So no images can be included in the post?

Daver
08-17-2008, 11:35 PM
But I do like it here.

Really?

Then why comment on how the forum is run without knowledge of why it is done?

Please post elsewhere, I think we are over our quota of RWAC's .

SluggersAway
08-17-2008, 11:35 PM

I would answer, but I am scared of anyone that identifies with Adèle Hugo. :tongue:

Daver
08-17-2008, 11:36 PM

Where did I say that?

SluggersAway
08-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Okay, I will get over my fear of Adele Hugo.

It is not the posting of images per se. It is hotlinking or inline linking that is the no no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inline_linking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inline_linking)

08-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Really?

Then why comment on how the forum is run without knowledge of why it is done?

Please post elsewhere, I think we are over our quota of RWAC's .

Enlighten me.

Daver
08-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Enlighten me.

Read the rules and the code of conduct, I'm not here to do your homework for you.

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 11:43 PM
the owners of private property do not have to play by the same rules as the guests then you have a lot to learn about this world.

Absolutely.

I don't know about anybody else, but I post here knowing full well that at any time my posting privileges can be revoked. I certainly won't kiss anybody's ass but I don't think throwing a tantrum or making oneself into a cyber-martyr is a way to go either. It simplifies a lot of things, and when I get banned, I get banned. Big deal.

Edited to add: at my other site, META was strictly prohibited. Half of of the people in this thread would be banned by now - good intentions or not.

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Where did I say that?

So which images can be posted?

Daver
08-17-2008, 11:48 PM
So which images can be posted?

Get a photobucket account and use that, it would save us some headaches.

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 11:49 PM
I would answer, but I am scared of anyone that identifies with Adèle Hugo.

I don't identify with her.

Or maybe I do.

08-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Read the rules and the code of conduct, I'm not here to do your homework for you.

I've done my homework.

I seemed to have missed the administrator hypocrisy clause.

As far as the RWAC goes, I've already said you win. You're the fuel.

Daver 1 - Tommy 0

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 11:51 PM

It's just that I see people post huge-ass pics all the time here, so it's confusing.

fed ex 4 pasqua
08-17-2008, 11:51 PM

I'm confused as to how it's a privilege to act like an *******. Seems to me that it's just ******* -ish behavior regardless of ownership/guest status.

SluggersAway
08-17-2008, 11:56 PM
I don't identify with her.

Or maybe I do.

Well, + 1 for having seen a Francois Truffaut film at least.

UofCSoxFan
08-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Not that Daver needs defending, but as an admin, using harsh language to dissuade someone from doing something that could get this site sued or shutdown (or at the very least screws over admins of other sites) is a bit different than calling out someone that you don't agree with.

That being said calling someone "not smart" seems a little light to ban someone (which is why ... was warned and not even banned) and yes Daver probably could have used other language, if nothing esle but to save himself this headache, but like it or not the people that run this site, that i.e. "own" this site if you will, frankly could do whatever they want as owners. Hell if they wanted to make this a Cubs forum or a forum amgonst the 5 or 10 admins only tomorrow they could do so. This isn't a democracy.

08-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Not that Daver needs defending, but as an admin, using harsh language to dissuade someone from doing something that could get this site sued or shutdown (or at the very least screws over admins of other sites) is a bit different than calling out someone that you don't agree with.

That being said calling someone "not smart" seems a little light to ban someone (which is why ... was warned and not even banned) and yes Daver probably could have used other language, if nothing esle but to save himself this headache, but like it or not the people that run this site, that i.e. "own" this site if you will, frankly could do whatever they want as owners. Hell if they wanted to make this a Cubs forum or a forum amgonst the 5 or 10 admins only tomorrow they could do so. This isn't a democracy.

Fair enough.

SluggersAway
08-18-2008, 12:09 AM
Fair enough.

It is not smart to have to take all this time and words to explain it to someone.

Adele_H
08-18-2008, 12:12 AM
Well, + 1 for having seen a Francois Truffaut film at least.

What's a "Francois Truffaut"?

i keed, i keed

Dabchsx28
08-18-2008, 12:14 AM
Daver aint nuthin but a trick ass bitch and I'll b banned from this website but I'm still a sox fan . Daver suck my nuts:cool:

Mod edit: Daver probably would have ignored you, but I won't. Beg to be banned, your wish will be granted.

SluggersAway
08-18-2008, 12:17 AM
:popcorn:

tstrike2000
08-18-2008, 12:20 AM
So anyway, I heard something like Ken Harrelson has a split persona from being Hawk.

SluggersAway
08-18-2008, 12:23 AM
So anyway, I heard something like Ken Harrelson has a split persona from being Hawk.

Yes, and Ted Williams had the trifecta going on...

Adele_H
08-18-2008, 12:26 AM

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/featured/8091/index.htm

Beautiful.

UofCSoxFan
08-18-2008, 12:34 AM

Beautiful.

I've seen that before. I like how he's called "The Swinger." The powder blue suit and gold medal looking thing around his neck is pretty classy too.

Nellie_Fox
08-18-2008, 12:36 AM
The powder blue suit and gold medal looking thing around his neck is pretty classy too.That was the absolute epitome of style at that time.

tstrike2000
08-18-2008, 12:36 AM
Yes, and Ted Williams had the trifecta going on...

Yes, I believe he did or Carl Yastrzemski, who Hawk has huge amounts of man love for.

Beautiful.

Yes, Hawk was the man for a while....all the way to a lifetime batting avg. of .239

Nellie_Fox
08-18-2008, 12:37 AM
Yes, Hawk was the man for a while....all the way to a lifetime batting avg. of .239Hawk himself has said on several occasions that he wasn't a good hitter, but he was a dangerous hitter. I think that's an apt description.

tstrike2000
08-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Hawk himself has said on several occasions that he wasn't a good hitter, but he was a dangerous hitter. I think that's an apt description.

Love him or hate him, his style is definitely unique.

SluggersAway
08-18-2008, 12:42 AM
That was the absolute epitome of style at that time.

You gotta love the Nehru style jacket!

Adele_H
08-18-2008, 12:47 AM
I like how he's called "The Swinger." The powder blue suit and gold medal looking thing around his neck is pretty classy too.

http://streetknowledge.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/austin_danger_powers_mike_myers.jpg

SAKE THOME ROTTEN, BABY. YEAH!

PeteWard
08-18-2008, 01:02 AM

Beautiful.

That is so comical.
For pure unconscious cool, nothing will ever touch this:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/featured/8284/index.htm

soltrain21
08-18-2008, 01:02 AM
Owen Wilson would be perfectly casted for him in a movie.

21stcenturySox
08-18-2008, 01:03 AM
Yes, Hawk was the man for a while....all the way to a lifetime batting avg. of .239

Well in fairness to Hawk, 1968 he had a pretty good year with a .275 avg and and All Star appearance. He also was third in the MVP balloting.

Those late '60s years the batting averages were pretty grim--Yaz hit like .301 and won the triple crown. In 1969 they lowered the mound.

Adele_H
08-18-2008, 01:16 AM

You have to remember that this was before 1969 when they lowered the mound and came up with a scoring system that awarded players for having a high batting average - as opposed to the 'lower the better' system favoured by golf, for instance. In that context, the .239 batting average I believe led the league. All-state in two states, in fact.

Adele_H
08-18-2008, 01:48 AM
For pure unconscious cool, nothing will ever touch this:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/featured/8284/index.htm

That guy with a ciggy, 3 baseballs looks a lot like Khalil Greene and Melvin Van Peebles.

slavko
08-18-2008, 02:00 AM

Is this what they mean by being a legend in your own mind?

tstrike2000
08-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Is this what they mean by being a legend in your own mind?

Even though I like Hawk with all his quirks, split personality or not, many would probably describe him as being a legend in his own mind.

Wickel
08-18-2008, 12:43 PM
"Hawk" defitinely is unique in the booth and joy to listen to on the few WGN games we receive on cable. Which made me wonder: Why ever happened to his longtime sidekick Tom Paciorek? Tom played his minor league ball just down the road in Albuquerque for the Dukes, the Dodgers' AAA farm club back then.

Fenway
08-18-2008, 01:03 PM
How Hawk left Boston...

http://books.google.com/books?id=YTktr9wCtwgC&pg=RA15-PA1975&lpg=RA15-PA1975&dq=ken+harrelson+sub+shops+boston&source=web&ots=vm1C9tZBkt&sig=zhORrd_ydkb8PJfxDMAr27Ipibo&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

KyWhiSoxFan
08-18-2008, 03:57 PM

So who does pay for all the site costs, such as bandwidth and the ISP?

Foulke You
08-18-2008, 04:09 PM
So who does pay for all the site costs, such as bandwidth and the ISP?
FarWestChicago pays for the annual costs for the site which he can't do anymore. There is a thread about it here:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104268

getonbckthr
08-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Wow this thread went in a direction that I never intended or expected.:?:

Adele_H
08-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Well in fairness to Hawk, 1968 he had a pretty good year with a .275 avg and and All Star appearance. He also was third in the MVP balloting.

Those late '60s years the batting averages were pretty grim--Yaz hit like .301 and won the triple crown. In 1969 they lowered the mound.

not to mention,

The 1969s were an entirely different era than before the 1969s.

hi im skot
08-18-2008, 05:59 PM
not to mention,

The 1969s were an entirely different era than before the 1969s.

"The 1969s?"

Were there multiple 1969s?

/kittle42

Adele_H
08-20-2008, 06:38 AM
"The 1969s?"

Were there multiple 1969s?

you mock but if you think about it, the 1969s was a remarkable era that saw man putting fellow man on the Moon; the Moon retailiating with an all-out invasion, riding the lightening into mechanical vehicles buried deep underneath Earth... Jimmmy Hendry briefly inventing rock-n-roll before the most famous four of the Beattles essentially killed it.... Native Indians boycotted the Nobel prize awards by refusing to accept it on Brando's behalf due to his unstated support of the Black panthers... Mohammad Ali deserting from the Korean war to avoid the draft, smuggling pure-grade heroin in the coffins in the process... A few political assasinations, turmoils, natural disasters, genocides, epidemics, upheavals, cultural strifing, recessions sprinkled in - all testing the global enlightment & resolve; Watergates; Woodstaxx, Cubs almost-winning,which really should count as winning but for some reason doesn't; Spitz's unbreakable olympic record. Equal pay for unequal workload, ****-teasing.....indirectly stemming from a religion-related controversy...Supreme Court effecting 24th amendment, something to do with business monopolies and/or segregation... And other important things of that nature.

btw, Did Hawk mention that Yaz is in the hospital during broadcast, I wonder? Seems somewhat related.

markopat
08-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Jimmmy Hendry briefly inventing rock-n-roll before the most famous four of the Beattles essentially killed it....

I didn't know "Jim Hendry" was the pioneer of rock and roll? He's come a long way! (Though he is NO Kenny Williams.) LOL :)

downstairs
08-20-2008, 02:06 PM

Not really taking any side in the argument here, but just an FYI... I run a bunch of sites, and would much prefer someone hotlink to my images rather than steal them, host them on their own PhotoBucket site, and link to that.

One could say *that* is more along the lines of theft than hotlinking.

Also, as an admin I can easily install tools to prevent hotlinking. That is my responsibility. So hotlinking to an unprotected image really isn't stealing IMHO.

Just another side of the coin... no argument :)

sachin
08-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Hello,

Who is Ken Harelson? Is he a relative to the Hawk Harelson?

Re: BAndwidth: It is the web you know, so, the rules may be very arbitrary on stealing images such as jpegs. I do not think it is a big situation and an administrator may have discretion more than they think?

Many thanks, Sachin.:)

Adele_H
08-21-2008, 01:22 AM
Hello,

Who is Ken Harelson? Is he a relative to the Hawk Harelson?

Hawk is his first name and Ken is middle name, I believe.

It pays to be accurate with names & facts, my friend. Next time do your own research. Seriously.

TommyJohn
08-21-2008, 06:02 AM
Hawk is his first name and Ken is middle name, I believe.

It pays to be accurate with names & facts, my friend. Next time do your own research. Seriously.

Is this post a joke? No seriously, are you joking?

Adele_H
08-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Is this post a joke? No seriously, are you joking?

What? :dunno:

Daver
08-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Also, as an admin I can easily install tools to prevent hotlinking. That is my responsibility. So hotlinking to an unprotected image really isn't stealing IMHO.

Just another side of the coin... no argument :)

Bandwidth theft is an actual crime, you can get cited for it, there are no opinions. We do not allow images to be hotlinked from this forum, or from the site because we choose not to pay for the extra bandwidth cost it creates.

chisoxfan4life
08-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Wouldn't PMs be a good idea at this point?

Lem_Siddons
08-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Which one was the GM for the White Sox ? Because I like the other one better.

<spitting coke on my keyboard from laughing>

Then I remembered just how gawd awful he was as a GM. :whiner:

Adele_H
08-23-2008, 03:43 PM
<spitting coke on my keyboard from laughing>

Then I remembered just how gawd awful he was as a GM. :whiner:

I thought Hawk as WhiteSox GM was half-fantasy, half-urban legend, half-hoax.

You mean to tell me it's true??!!

[/the horror, oh the horror...]