PDA

View Full Version : *official* What problems in Oakland? 8-17 postgame thread

DumpJerry
08-17-2008, 06:27 PM
That was easy.

Good O, D and P.

Bring on the Mariners so we can punish them for their performance this weekend in Minny,

october23sp
08-17-2008, 06:27 PM
That was easy

Yarp.

Rockabilly
08-17-2008, 06:28 PM
nice win today... it's a shame we blew fri night game..

would have been great to sweep Oakland

IlliniSox4Life
They jumped on em pretty early and then didn't give up. Good all around win from pitching to hitting.

Marqhead
Should have been a sweep, but 2/3 in Oakland is damn fine. 5 of the last 6, lets sweep the Mariners this week!

sox1970
White Sox, Twins, Red Sox---53 losses. 6 weeks left. It's on.

thomas35forever
Javy has looked impressive as of late. Hopefully, he's finally woke up and realized we're in a pennant race. Keep it up, #33!

October26
08-17-2008, 06:29 PM
What a wonderful game today. Sox finally win a series in Oakland (last one was in 2000)! So happy:bandance::bandance:

Rockabilly

I don't think Boston will make the post season... Think they made a huge mistake trading Manny

Blueprint1
This is going to go down to the wire. I hope that We are going to keep winning on the road. If we play at home like we have all year and win some series on the road we can do this.

SoxSpeed22
08-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Can't ever complain about taking 2 of 3 in Oakland, especially after the way they lost the first game. Vazquez looks like he's hitting his groove at the right time. Smacking around Gio at the beginning made everything a lot easier for him. Time for some home cooking with Seattle Sushi on the menu.

DumpJerry
08-17-2008, 06:32 PM

I don't think Boston will make the post season... Think they made a huge mistake trading Manny
If the White Sox win the ALC and the Twins are the WC, ESPN will implode and happiness will reign all over the land. The Twins, as usual, will not get out of the ALDS, so we won't face them in the ALCS.

RockJock07
08-17-2008, 06:33 PM

Agreed, they were so hell bent on getting him out that they traded away one the best hitters of all time away. In this case, addition is not by subtraction.

As for our Sox, great game all around. Series win in Oakland, first time since 2000.

I think TCQ would end up with around 40-45 HR. It;s also nice to see MB and Javy step up when we need them.

BadBobbyJenks
08-17-2008, 06:35 PM
I love that version of Javier.

2 out of 3, I'll take it.

cheezheadsoxfan
Hopefully this will get the "can't win in Oakland" monkey off their backs and then we can work on the "can't win in the Humpdome" complex.

Great to see Javy pitching so well. Looks like our pitching is get back to April, May & June form.

:bandance:

CHISOXFAN13

How bout the Sox and Twins both clinching playoff spots in the Metrodome that final week.

Now that would be strange, and I'd be fine with it. **** Boston.

DumpJerry
08-17-2008, 06:36 PM
How bout the Sox and Twins both clinching playoff sports in the Metrodome that final week.

Now that would be strange, and I'd be fine with it. **** Boston.
Works for me. I don't care what the Twins do, so long as it does not keep us out of the World Series.

Whitesoxfan23
08-17-2008, 06:37 PM
I gotta give props to Ozzie and the Whitesox for bouncing back the way they did, after that god awful first game loss. This team is professional, and puts tough games behind them and bounces back.

turners56
08-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Great series win. Nothing went wrong today.

The Sox really did come back strong after that terrible loss on Friday. Man, had Dotel not thrown that stupid 0-2 BP style fastball to Cust, we could of swept.

Oh well, I said I'd be happy with 2/3 in Oakland and it happened. I can't complain.

First series win in Oakland since 2000.

arKnaD7
08-17-2008, 06:43 PM
We need to sweep the M's to equal what the Twins did this weekend.

I saw Alexei's slam while playing some video games, 0-2 fastball right there. I LOLed at the pitcher. :tongue:

WhiteSoxBlog
08-17-2008, 06:44 PM
So, if Richard went out there to pitch in the 9th... does that mean he's officially just another arm in the 'pen? Or was he out there just warming up for Tuesday? :scratch:

sox1970
08-17-2008, 06:45 PM
So, if Richard went out there to pitch in the 9th... does that mean he's officially just another arm in the 'pen? Or was he out there just warming up for Tuesday? :scratch:

No chance Richard starts Tuesday. Really looks like Aaron Poreda will get a shot.

DumpJerry
08-17-2008, 06:47 PM
No chance Richard starts Tuesday. Really looks like Aaron Poreda will get a shot.
What makes you so sure of this?

TomBradley72
08-17-2008, 06:48 PM
This teams really battles and had been surprisingly consistent this season. They've been over .500 every month (now 11-6 for August). Most seasons we have at least one month where we completely suck (in 2006 the Sox were 10-15 in July, 12-16 in September, same thing happened in 2003-2004, even in 2005 we were 12-16 in August). They just keep chugging and battling...

sox1970
08-17-2008, 06:51 PM
What makes you so sure of this?

If Richard was going to start Tuesday, he would not have pitched today.

As far as Poreda, apparently they aren't allowed to bring Broadway back until he's down 10 days. I'm just thinking it will be Poreda since the reports are leaning that way.

turners56
08-17-2008, 06:51 PM

Isn't Aaron still in AA? He'll get clobbered. His fastball is good, but he doesn't have a solid secondary pitch. The Mariners aren't a very good hitting club, but he still won't fare too well IMO.

Soxfest
08-17-2008, 06:54 PM
2 of 3 at Oakland I will take anytime!:)

DumpJerry
08-17-2008, 06:55 PM

As far as Poreda, apparently they aren't allowed to bring Broadway back until he's down 10 days. I'm just thinking it will be Poreda since the reports are leaning that way.
With the off day on Thursday, I'm thinking someone will be on short rest or Carassco (15 pitches on Saturday).

CMPDragRacing
08-17-2008, 06:56 PM
i cant stand the fact that we gave away a W on friday but im pleased with the 2of3 this weekend.

its time for the sox to rattle off an eight game win streak here.

RockJock07
08-17-2008, 06:58 PM
With the off day on Thursday, I'm thinking someone will be on short rest or Carassco (15 pitches on Saturday).

I'd rather have someone called up then dip into the bullpen. We're gonna need that bullpen.

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 07:06 PM
nice win today... it's a shame we blew fri night game..

would have been great to sweep Oakland

Sox were basically a Damaso Dotel away from sweeping the Billy Beaners.

I'll take it, I guess.

On a related note... See, there is no Oakland Curse just as there is no Metrodome curse. It's all about quality of play (that, and good old-fashined baseball luck); nothing more, nothing less.

Brian26
08-17-2008, 07:11 PM

Is this a new rule? I thought they could bring Broadway back immediately. Also, based on how he did against KC, I have no idea why they wouldn't give him a shot against Seattle.

Frater Perdurabo
08-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Sox were basically a Damaso Dotel away from sweeping the Billy Beaners....

On a related note... See, there is no Oakland Curse just as there is no Metrodome curse. It's all about quality of play (that, and good old-fashined baseball luck); nothing more, nothing less.

Good points. "Damaso Dotel" is a great way of putting it.

DumpJerry
08-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Is this a new rule? I thought they could bring Broadway back immediately. Also, based on how he did against KC, I have no idea why they wouldn't give him a shot against Seattle.
They have to wait 10 days per the rules. It was mentioned yesterday during the post-game show.

Cuck the Fubs
08-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Where are the pants pissers from Friday now?

Haven't the Sox earned some of your beliefs yet?

I'm not saying they are the best team in all of baseball without flaws, but come on, let's give these guys some credit where it's due.

This is a pretty good baseball team we've got here!

It's Dankerific
08-17-2008, 07:28 PM
They have to wait 10 days per the rules. It was mentioned yesterday during the post-game show.

They said it again on the post game show today. I thought it was the rule, but on another thread Daver seemed pretty insistent.

southside rocks
08-17-2008, 07:32 PM
They said it again on the post game show today. I thought it was the rule, but on another thread Daver seemed pretty insistent.

Once sent down, a player cannot be recalled for 10 days unless he is recalled to take the spot of a player who goes on the DL, or unless the minor-league season ends.

Here's a summary of the rule:
http://www.sonsofsamhorn.net/wiki/index.php/MLB_Rules_and_Procedures#Sending_to_the_Minors

Or unless he's recalled to replace a player who's suspended for drug use.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080117&content_id=2349809&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

It's Time
08-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Need a 4-2 homestand at minimum coming up.

turners56
08-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Good points. "Damaso Dotel" is a great way of putting it.

That should be Dotel's new nickname. He's pretty similar to Marte, except he comes at you from the opposite side.

turners56
08-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Once sent down, a player cannot be recalled for 10 days unless he is recalled to take the spot of a player who goes on the DL, or unless the minor-league season ends.

Here's a summary of the rule:
http://www.sonsofsamhorn.net/wiki/index.php/MLB_Rules_and_Procedures#Sending_to_the_Minors

Or unless he's recalled to replace a player who's suspended for drug use.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080117&content_id=2349809&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Quick, give Clayton Richard some medical marijuana!

It's Time
08-17-2008, 07:49 PM
The Twins are starting to show cracks in the pen. Seattle, while losing 4 of 6 to them, made the Twins sweat and really put a ton of crooked numbers up against them.

The White Sox need a good homestand (4-2) and the Twins need to start losing a bit.

sox1970
08-17-2008, 07:55 PM
The Twins are starting to show cracks in the pen. Seattle, while losing 4 of 6 to them, made the Twins sweat and really put a ton of crooked numbers up against them.

The White Sox need a good homestand (4-2) and the Twins need to start losing a bit.

The next ten games would be nice to gain a 2 or 3 game lead.

Hopefully Duchscherer and Gallagher can go to the dome and get a win or two.

Then the Twins start the long road trip in Anaheim. This could be a good ten game stretch for the White Sox if they take care of their own business.

voodoochile
08-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Where are the pants pissers from Friday now?

Funny I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how many of the lunatics who took over the game and post game thread are too ashamed to show their face today after that performance. Nothing new, they've been running and hiding all summer long when things don't fit their vision of reality.

Hey, a new high mark 17 games over .500 at least I think this is the first time we've cracked the 16 over barrier.

Was having a hard time keeping my eyes open today, a nap was pushing its way into my brain as I tried to watch the first few innings. Since I left my power cord for my laptop at my Mom's the other day, I was trying to watch at my desktop which made it all the more awkward to nap. With the laptop, I can stretch out on the sofa and if a nap hits me, I am fine, but at the desktop, I am obviously constrained to a desk chair. My head would snap down as I dozed off and jolt me awake thus I went from 0-0 to 2-0 to 3-0 to 6-0 without ever seeing a run cross home. It was pretty funny, but I figured I'd go lie down where I could see my computer screen and that ended my desire to nap. I don't know what that means, but it was a damned fine way to spend 30 minutes or so...:D:

I did get to see the GS that salted the game completely away though. Kid's been in a bit of a funk recently, so nice to see him get his schwing on...

**** Boston!
**** the Twinkies!

:winner

:)

:moonwalk:

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 08:05 PM

Once the game was out of reach, I felt really bad for Gio - A's rushed him before he could hone his change-up & get better command of that curveball. He'll be alright, but maybe a little warning flag in regards to Sox option of prematurely promoting Poreda....

Gio looked arguably as bad as Broadway did for most of the game against KC; the only difference, Sox didn't miss a stitch on Gio's meatballs. Maybe Richard outing in KC is more comparable in that respect.

soxinem1
08-17-2008, 08:09 PM

As much as I agree with the reasoning behind the trade, and like Jason Bay as a player, Bay is just another hitter in that line up now, especially since Ortiz missed so much time.

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Isn't Aaron still in AA? He'll get clobbered. His fastball is good, but he doesn't have a solid secondary pitch. The Mariners aren't a very good hitting club, but he still won't fare too well IMO.

What about Egbert?

sox1970
08-17-2008, 08:12 PM
What about Egbert?

Egbert pitched 6 innings tonight.

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 08:20 PM

No, I mean in general. He can he make it?

btrain929
08-17-2008, 08:29 PM

Blasphemy.

sox1970
08-17-2008, 08:29 PM
No, I mean in general. Can he make it?

His injury early this year set him back. He might be a decent candidate for a September callup, and bring him in if a game gets away.

Frankfan4life
08-17-2008, 08:37 PM
It was a pleasure watching today's game. I haven't watched too many games where I have been completely relaxed and assured of victory from the first inning to the ninth.
Well done Javy, TCQ, TCM, JD and Juan. :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

soxfanreggie
08-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Great game, complete butt-kicking, but I'm not going to pretend like we haven't had troubles in Oakland over the years. Glad we can take 2 games from them and move on to hopefully continuing this offensive onslaught against the M's.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-17-2008, 08:49 PM

Since Egbert is out as a potential starter, I would think the choice is between Poreda and Whisler. I doubt either one is ready, but sometimes you have to just throw someone out there.

I find it odd they closed the book on Broadway so quickly, knowing they needed a fifth starter on Tuesday. Maybe they want to keep his record unblemished so they can get something for him in the offseason.

doublem23
08-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Gio looked arguably as bad as Broadway did for most of the game against KC; the only difference, Sox didn't miss a stitch on Gio's meatballs. Maybe Richard outing in KC is more comparable in that respect.

Oh, Jesus Christ you can post the same thing over and over again but that doesn't make it true. I don't know what Lance Broadway did to you; did key your car? Run over your dog? He was far better than Gio was today, anybody could have seen that except for those so paralyzed with prejudice they still go out of their way in an unrelated thread to slam Broadway.

Here's a stat for you, Einstein:

Gonzalez today: 88 pitches, 42 strikes (47.2%), 5 walks
Broadway Friday: 100 pitches, 62 strikes (62%), 1 walk

Comparable. :rolleyes: Just get the **** over it.

delben91
08-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Oh, Jesus Christ you can post the same thing over and over again but that doesn't make it true. I don't know what Lance Broadway did to you; did key your car? Run over your dog? He was far better than Gio was today, anybody could have seen that except for those so paralyzed with prejudice they still go out of their way in an unrelated thread to slam Broadway.

:thumbsup:

Taliesinrk
08-17-2008, 09:50 PM

yeah, I'm a bit confused - I didn't see Broadway's start, but assumed he did well since he gave up only 1 or 2 runs and got the win.. am i missing something?

soxinem1
08-17-2008, 09:51 PM

Amen. ***?, what is it with the dumping on Broadway, and the enthusiasm for a guy who never made it out of the fifth in three starts?

TDog
08-17-2008, 10:01 PM

First series win in Oakland since 2000.

This is incorrect. The White Sox took two of three in Oakland in April 2007. I could only make it to one game in the series, and that was the 2-1 loss in which Jenks gave up two runs in the ninth -- the second coming on a two out, bases loaded drive that apparently hit Scott Podsednik in the head. The Sox had won the night before and would win the next afternoon, with Jermaine Dye hitting a two-run homer to tie the game at 3 in the eighth and the Sox scoring three against the Street in the ninth to win 6-3.

I just got back home from the Saturday and Sunday wins. I have now seen the Sox win two and loses two in Oakland in the last two years. Saturday's game was frustrating. The Sox hit the ball very well, sometimes into the defense and other times into some great Oakland defense. Nick Swisher had a bad day. Twice he came up with two on and two out and ended the inning. Fortunately his error didn't hurt with Uribe executing the line-drive doubleplay with the bases loaded and none out. Danks struggled, but didn't give up the big hit. And the bullpen was great. Fortunately, Frank Thomas had an offensive day worse than Swisher, striking out twice when he could have hurt his former team and grounding out with the bases loaded and one out with his team down by a run.

I had seats behind home plate for the Saturday and Sunday games (not expensive and not difficult to get for the A's this year), and I was impressed with how well they are swinging the bats. The line on Gonzalez doesn't reflect how little stuff he had. The A's, though, didn't do him any favors by starting him after starting two other southpaws against the Sox. The Sox should have beaten all three of the southpaw starters.

Today, Gonzalez didn't have nearly the control that a finesse pitcher needs, and he wasn't throwing hard. The Sox were patient. Incredibly, through three innings, when the Sox had six runs on four hard hits, the Sox had only hit two foul balls, and one was a foul tip. Gonzalez had thrown 70 pitches according to the scoreboards down the lines, and the Sox had only fouled off two of them.

Even some of the outs he gave up were rockets. Griffey hit one that he thought was gone that ended up a nice running catch at the wall.

Monday night the Sox will face their fourth straight lefty starter. Washburn is better than any the Sox saw in Oakland, but facing another southpaw shouldn't be a novelty. The Mariners bullpen should be overworked, but they have been hitting very well lately.

The best thing about Oakland, though, is that before the game, the announcer warns that players throwing home run balls back onto the field of play are subject to removal from the stadium. However, he doesn't announce Frank Thomas with the drama that Gene Honda used to. But it won't stop me from being a temporary A's fan next week. If they A's can win more games in the Metrodome next week than they did on their last three-city road trip, I'll be happy.

sox1970
08-17-2008, 10:08 PM
^

There is a misprint in the media guide.

They have the Sox going 4-2 at home vs Oak, and 0-3 at Oakland.

It was actually 2-1 at home and 2-4 at Oakland.

ChiSox89
08-17-2008, 10:10 PM
solid win today. javy looked like the javy of last year

Oldfellah
08-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Another beautiful day for the Sox.. Very impressed with their hitting today!!:bandance::bandance:

Noneck
08-18-2008, 12:36 AM
I hope the Sox keep blowing teams out, that bullpen still scares me.

Heres a a tidbit: Late in the game Farmio and Blackjack were just filling air space and Blackjack mentioned that Thome is an excellent bunter and could get a hit anytime he wanted to. Of course they both then said hes not in the lineup for that. But I found his bunting skills very interesting.

hawkjt
08-18-2008, 01:22 AM
The Sox get the best Seattle has to offer on the mound while the Twins dodged them. That sucks. Seattle is hitting the ball well but Washburn and hernandez are their only decent starters and we see them both. Must beat Washburn tomorrow but he has been pitching well the last two months.
I am guessing that Richard goes tuesday for the sox...he had few pitches.

WhiteSoxBlog
08-18-2008, 02:47 AM
Well, they "made" Broadway pitch a third of an inning or something like that a few days before he pitched and then went on to start. Richard only threw 13 pitches today. I'm no pitcher, but I'm almost sure his arm can recover from that in two days, which is why I'm not sure we should count him out for the Tuesday start.

southside rocks
08-18-2008, 07:23 AM
yeah, I'm a bit confused - I didn't see Broadway's start, but assumed he did well since he gave up only 1 or 2 runs and got the win.. am i missing something?

Broadway struggled a bit and wasn't overwhelming, but he was effective, as his line suggests, and Ozzie said afterwards that he felt Lance did a very good job. He gave up two runs in the first but then settled down noticeably.

Gonzalez, OTOH, had nothing working but his fastball, and the Sox are a fastball-hitting club, and they hit his big-time. Black Jack, doing the game with Farmio, kept commenting on that, saying that even in the bullpen before the game, GG couldn't get his curve over and had no offspeed pitches. Jack wondered a few times if Gio wouldn't be better suited to a bullpen role, not a starter role, since he appeared to have only a single pitch.

If Gio has good stuff, he sure didn't have it yesterday.

palehozenychicty
08-18-2008, 09:08 AM
A good recovery in Oakland for the guys. I do like the nickname for "Damaso Dotel". He is exactly that. Seattle was useless this weekend, so now we must punish them for that. :D:

TommyJohn
08-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Funny I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how many of the lunatics who took over the game and post game thread are too ashamed to show their face today after that performance. Nothing new, they've been running and hiding all summer long when things don't fit their vision of reality.

:moonwalk:

That's one of the great things about a White Sox win. Not only do they stay in 1st place, but the postgame threads are nice, peaceful enjoyable reads, as the psychos and ChiSoxBobs of the world stay away.

Not to say I'm perfect. Every Sox loss hits me in the gut, too. The temptation to vent brims up sometimes. I always keep in mind a sage piece of advice that Mike Royko said he received from an editor: "Don't ever write while you're angry. Wait until you calm down." I learned it the hard way, and some of the folks around here might wind up doing that, too.

doublem23
08-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Not to say I'm perfect. Every Sox loss hits me in the gut, too. The temptation to vent brims up sometimes. I always keep in mind a sage piece of advice that Mike Royko said he received from an editor: "Don't ever write while you're angry. Wait until you calm down." I learned it the hard way, and some of the folks around here might wind up doing that, too.

Well, I understand getting upset after a game like Friday... That sucked, I went to bed angry.

I'll take 2 of 3 in Oakland any day of the week.

voodoochile
08-18-2008, 10:42 AM
That's one of the great things about a White Sox win. Not only do they stay in 1st place, but the postgame threads are nice, peaceful enjoyable reads, as the psychos and ChiSoxBobs of the world stay away.

Anger and frustration are one thing. I understand them. I was angry and frustrated too after losing on Friday. It's the people who insist on drawing a pattern based on that one frustrating loss who tick me off. This may be the 10th time this year we've had this kind of heartbreaker and every single one of them has led to people acting like it's season ending.

Well here we are two days later in better shape than we were before Friday and all the thunderheads have run away again to lick their wounds and wait for the next bad loss so they can run around pissing bile and hate on the rest of us. None of them with the stones to Man up and admit they were wrong...

spawn
08-18-2008, 11:06 AM

Anger and frustration are one thing. I understand them. I was angry and frustrated too after losing on Friday. It's the people who insist on drawing a pattern based on that one frustrating loss who tick me off. This may be the 10th time this year we've had this kind of heartbreaker and every single one of them has led to people acting like it's season ending.

Well here we are two days later in better shape than we were before Friday and all the thunderheads have run away again to lick their wounds and wait for the next bad loss so they can run around pissing bile and hate on the rest of us. None of them with the stones to Man up and admit they were wrong...
I get pretty pissed off after a bad Sox loss like the one on Friday. What I don't do, however, is post in the post-game threads, or even read them for that matter because I know exactly what to expect. People around here tend to view one bad loss as the end of the season. I looked at the loss on Friday as losing, yet still being in first place. Two days later, and here we are, at the high water mark of the season. I've been on other teams message boards, and I swear I've never seen so much pants pissing as I have here.

oeo
08-18-2008, 11:08 AM
I get pretty pissed off after a bad Sox loss like the one on Friday. What I don't do, however, is post in the post-game threads, or even read them for that matter because I know exactly what to expect. People around here tend to view one bad loss as the end of the season. I looked at the loss on Friday as losing, yet still being in first place. Two days later, and here we are, at the high water mark of the season. I've been on other teams message boards, and I swear I've never seen so much pants pissing as I have here.

It's the same crap everywhere. Just last week reading the Red Sox boards when we beat them on Sunday, there were people saying that loss clinched the East for the Rays. :scratch:

hi im skot
08-18-2008, 11:35 AM
That should be Dotel's new nickname. He's pretty similar to Marte, except he comes at you from the opposite side.

That, and you know, I actually trust him.

A series win in Oakland is huge...let's beat Seattle.

Foulke You
08-18-2008, 12:06 PM
The Sox get the best Seattle has to offer on the mound while the Twins dodged them. That sucks. Seattle is hitting the ball well but Washburn and hernandez are their only decent starters and we see them both. Must beat Washburn tomorrow but he has been pitching well the last two months.
Isn't that typical White Sox luck? We get Felix and Washburn and the Twins face a bunch of scrubs. At least we are playing them at home. The Mariners are the worst team in the AL this year though and the Sox need to sweep them at home. I think as long as we don't let Ichiro and Ibanez beat us, we'll be fine this series. I'm worried about the Game 2 matchup more than anything. Felix vs. TBA doesn't exactly favor us.

CHISOXFAN13
08-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Isn't that typical White Sox luck? We get Felix and Washburn and the Twins face a bunch of scrubs. At least we are playing them at home. The Mariners are the worst team in the AL this year though and the Sox need to sweep them at home. I think as long as we don't let Ichiro and Ibanez beat us, we'll be fine this series. I'm worried about the Game 2 matchup more than anything. Felix vs. TBA doesn't exactly favor us.

We missed Ducscherer at least and the Twins see him. Then again, I don't see the A's scoring many runs this week.

southside rocks
08-18-2008, 12:16 PM

And like it's the end of a player's career. That one really gets me :rolleyes: .

I guess I don't understand this football fan approach to baseball games. It's a LONG season, and at times even the good teams are going to look horse****, as Jim Bouton would say. 2005 was a magical season, but I remember distinctly that not every game was flawless and had that sprinkle of stardust that meant 'destiny' to it. That got created later, after the trophy was handed to JR.

Looking back at the past few seasons, I'm enormously grateful that -- unlike 2006 -- a couple of other teams in the ALC are playing much worse baseball than we thought they would at the outset of the season; and I'm enormously grateful that -- unlike 2007 -- the Sox aren't having one of those years that's a perfect storm of failures and disasters. To be in a tight pennant race with the hated Twinkies in late August is fun, and I've really enjoyed this season so far!

And yes, Friday's loss was a tough one, but it didn't come even CLOSE to the pain of watching Mike MacDougal and David Aardsma pitch last season. :tongue:

whitesox901
08-18-2008, 12:18 PM
wow to actually win a series in Oakland is pretty nice, instead of leaving swept or batterd