PDA

View Full Version : What's the word on Linebrink?

soxfandy
08-17-2008, 12:38 PM
I haven't heard anything. Does anybody know when he is expected back? Is he going to go on a rehab assignment first?

oeo
08-17-2008, 12:54 PM
I haven't heard anything. Does anybody know when he is expected back? Is he going to go on a rehab assignment first?

Hopefully by early September.

russ99
08-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Hopefully by early September.

There was a blurb in one of the local papers that he's throwing long-toss, and had soreness afterwards in places where he wasn't hurt. He was encouraged by that and said he needs to work the kinks out then work towards getting ready to pitch. He also mentioned that a rehab assignment may not be possible due to the minor leagu season ending.

By that, I'd assume he'll be back in 2-3 weeks barring further setbacks.

soxfanreggie
08-17-2008, 01:25 PM
We could always send him to throw simulated games where Wood and Prior go.

BigP50
08-17-2008, 02:06 PM
There was a blurb in one of the local papers that he's throwing long-toss, and had soreness afterwards in places where he wasn't hurt. He was encouraged by that and said he needs to work the kinks out then work towards getting ready to pitch. He also mentioned that a rehab assignment may not be possible due to the minor leagu season ending.

By that, I'd assume he'll be back in 2-3 weeks barring further setbacks.

yea I read that, he was throwing from 60 and 120 Feet

Hitmen77
08-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Here's the latest on Linebrink.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080823&content_id=3353962&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Man, we REALLY need this guy back. IMO getting Joe Crede back is not nearly as important as getting Linebrink back. Having him to shut down teams in the 8th could be make or break for the Sox this season.

turners56
08-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Here's the latest on Linebrink.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080823&content_id=3353962&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Man, we REALLY need this guy back. IMO getting Joe Crede back is not nearly as important as getting Linebrink back. Having him to shut down teams in the 8th could be make or break for the Sox this season.

Getting Joe Crede back might be a bad thing considering Uribe is hitting .300 while playing 3B this year.

munchman33
08-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Getting Joe Crede back might be a bad thing considering Uribe is hitting .300 while playing 3B this year.

:o:

I had no idea Juan was playing that well.

Chez
08-23-2008, 12:18 PM
The longer this goes on, the more it reminds me of Dustin Hermanson in 2005. Once Hermy went down, he never really came all the way back. I realize that Llinebrink's injury is completely different than Hermanson's, but I'm not sure how much we can really count on Linebrink this season. Even if's ready in a week or so, will he be able to pitch on consecutive days? How long will he need on a rehab assignment to build up his arm strength and comand? Unfortunately, we don't have the equivalent of a Bobby Jenks waiting in the wings like we had in 2005.

turners56
08-23-2008, 01:36 PM
The longer this goes on, the more it reminds me of Dustin Hermanson in 2005. Once Hermy went down, he never really came all the way back. I realize that Llinebrink's injury is completely different than Hermanson's, but I'm not sure how much we can really count on Linebrink this season. Even if's ready in a week or so, will he be able to pitch on consecutive days? How long will he need on a rehab assignment to build up his arm strength and comand? Unfortunately, we don't have the equivalent of a Bobby Jenks waiting in the wings like we had in 2005.

I agree.

nug0hs
08-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't rely on him very much for the rest of the season. Dont hope or expect him to be like he was in the early summer, if he even comes back at all.

LoveYourSuit
08-23-2008, 02:32 PM

I think Poreda can be that guy. No one has a book on him yet and he can get away with 95+ and a semi breking pitch up here for 1 inning every other night.

Poreda is no way ready to be a starter, but I think he can be great help from the pen.

Daver
08-23-2008, 02:34 PM
I think Poreda can be that guy. No one has a book on him yet and he can get away with 95+ and a semi breking pitch up here for 1 inning every other night.

Poreda is no way ready to be a starter, but I think he can be great help from the pen.

MLB hitters would beat him like a rented mule.

JB98
08-23-2008, 02:40 PM

Daver, do you think Jon Link will be able to help the Sox at some point?

Daver
08-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Daver, do you think Jon Link will be able to help the Sox at some point?

He'd be a better choice than Poreda.

LoveYourSuit
08-23-2008, 03:48 PM

That's the beauty of baseball. Unless he gets a shot you and I cannot be proven right or wrong. Sort of like everyone giving Alexei Ramirez ZERO chance to hit ML pitching back in April.

Daver
08-23-2008, 03:50 PM
That's the beauty of baseball. Unless he gets a shot you and I cannot be proven right or wrong. Sort of like everyone giving Alexei Ramirez ZERO chance to hit ML pitching back in April.

Not everyone.

Show me a fastball pitcher with no movement and no second pitch that has had success against MLB hitters.

LoveYourSuit
08-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Not everyone.

Show me a fastball pitcher with no movement and no second pitch that has had success against MLB hitters.

Alan Embree has made a nice living that way.

Daver
08-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Alan Embree has made a nice living that way.
Alan Embree has good movement on his fastball and his cut fastball, he can also get a breaking ball over the plate, but it was a nice try.

jabrch
08-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Not everyone.

Having never seen Poreda, is that the universally agreed upon scouting report on him? Serious question - as I haven't seen it from anyone other than you. (not that I have seen anyone call him a 3 pitch pitcher either...)

Daver
08-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Having never seen Poreda, is that the universally agreed upon scouting report on him? Serious question - as I haven't seen it from anyone other than you. (not that I have seen anyone call him a 3 pitch pitcher either...)

I base it on tape of him pitching in Birmingham, he relies on overpowering hitters, and has no real secondary pitch, he can't throw anything besides a fastball for a strike with any consistency, and he doesn't have much movement on his fastball.

Bill Naharodny
08-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Alan Embree has good movement on his fastball and his cut fastball, he can also get a breaking ball over the plate, but it was a nice try.

Alan Embree has zero movement on his fastball. Maybe he has a breaking pitch, but you really lose credibility when you say his fastball moves. The other guy is right: it doesn't.

Jose.Contreras
08-23-2008, 06:24 PM
After watching the first first two games vs the Rays this series (critical games at his point).......All I have to say is.....

SCOTT LINEBRINK PLEASE COME BACK ASAP!!!!!

infohawk
08-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Seriously, we need Linebrink back quickly. The bullpen hasn't been the same since he hit the shelf. I'm kind of getting upset that we haven't seen hide nor hair of him since around the all-star break. I thought he had tendonitis or something. I haven't heard anything other than that the Sox hope he's ready by the end of the month. What gives???

CubKilla
08-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Seriously, I brought this up last night. How long does "dead arm" last? He's been out since the All-Star Break and nary a mention of even a possible return from the White Sox since.

This is ridiculous.

Adele_H
08-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Seriously, I brought this up last night. How long does "dead arm" last? He's been out since the All-Star Break and nary a mention of even a possible return from the White Sox since.

This is ridiculous.

Linebrink doesn't have a dead arm.

He had inflammation and "deep shoulder" pain.

People expecting Linebrink to be the savior are going to be soarly, to quote munchman33, disappointed. It's simply not how it works.

The only thing that will save Dotel & Thornton... are Dotel and Thornton - and only with Don "Fixer" Cooper's help.

Kudos to DJ Carrasco who doesn't over-think things, doesn't try to blow everyone away... Just goes and throws. Hits his location; mixes up the spin & speed of the ball - and, voila, he's pitching the best he's pitched in his career.

russ99
08-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Linebrink doesn't have a dead arm.

He had inflammation and "deep shoulder" pain.

People expecting Linebrink to be the savior are going to be soarly, to quote munchman33, disappointed. It's simply not how it works.

The only thing that will save Dotel & Thornton... are Dotel and Thornton - and only with Don "Fixer" Cooper's help.

Kudos to DJ Carrasco who doesn't over-think things, doesn't try to blow everyone away... Just goes and throws. Hits his location; mixes up the spin & speed of the ball - and, voila, he's pitching the best he's pitched in his career.

You're right about people shouldn't be expecting Linebrink to be the savior, but there is truth to the notion that bumping Dotel and Thornton up a role has messed them up a bit. Once Scott's back, they can go back the roles they had all season, and there's a comfort zone there.

I'm starting to think that the Sox Kangaroo Court needs to start fining our relievers for walks, double for lead-off walks. Most of our recent bullpen problems can be fixed if these guys just attack the zone, throw first-pitch strikes and get ahead in the count - Dotel especially as when he gets behind 2-0 is when he's serving up these hangers down the middle.

Hopefully Scott will be back soon, but I wouldn't expect it until after the road trip since he hasn't thrown from a mound yet.

Adele_H
08-23-2008, 10:51 PM
You're right about people shouldn't be expecting Linebrink to be the savior, but there is truth to the notion that bumping Dotel and Thornton up a role has messed them up a bit. Once Scott's back, they can go back the roles they had all season, and there's a comfort zone there.

I'm starting to think that the Sox Kangaroo Court needs to start fining our relievers for walks, double for lead-off walks. Most of our recent bullpen problems can be fixed if these guys just attack the zone, throw first-pitch strikes and get ahead in the count - Dotel especially as when he gets behind 2-0 is when he's serving up these hangers down the middle.

Hopefully Scott will be back soon, but I wouldn't expect it until after the road trip since he hasn't thrown from a mound yet.

You're assuming that Linebrink will come back fully healthy. I think it's more likely that he'll come back the way Dustin Hermanson came back in 2005.

But even if he's fully healthy..... If Linebrink of low-1.00 ERA that we saw in the first 2.5 months of the season was the "real" Linebrink, he'd be setting up for the Mets, making 10 Mill a year.

The real Linebrink, when adjusted for USCF and superior AL line-ups.... is probably a mid-to-high 3.00 ERA guy. Aka "Octavio Dotel".

The problem for the bullpen is not just that they allow too many walks, althought that's big. I think what should be examined is WHY they are issuing so many free passes; it's far from an easily correctable black & white issue, unfortunately.....

The Hawk has this saying about the "dreaded lead-off walk" scoring almost 40% of the time. Well, Mr. Baseball, can you by chance tell me what percentage of lead-off Home-Runs end up scoring....? :rolleyes: Because that's what you're going to see if a struggling pitcher is going to keep falling behind good hitters & keep grooving get-me-over pitches into their wheelhouse so they could avoid issuing a walk.

What I am trying to say in my own convoluted retard sorta way... Righting the bullpen will take a lot more work on Don Cooper's and each individual reliever's part in the next few weeks than just getting Scott The Cure back.

It's why they all get paid the big bucks that they do, in short.

WhiteSox5187
08-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Not everyone.

Billy Kotch had a couple of good years...I don't remember what his second pitch was.

soxinem1
08-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Alan Embree has zero movement on his fastball. Maybe he has a breaking pitch, but you really lose credibility when you say his fastball moves. The other guy is right: it doesn't.

Agreed. One of the gripes against Embree his entire career going back to when he was with CLE has been his pitches being way too straight.

I've never heard anyone say that anything Embree throws possesses any movement. He gets by on speed and location.

Adele_H
08-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Billy Kotch had a couple of good years...I don't remember what his second pitch was.

Koch had a nasty slider. Not K-Rod-in-2002 nasty, but not that far off.

But you're right, by the time he pitched on the Sox, neither his fastball nor his slider were the same. Pinata City. :mad:

markopat
08-24-2008, 05:29 PM
We could always send him to throw simulated games where Wood and Prior go.
:rolling:.................:mg:

Hitmen77
08-28-2008, 12:51 PM
The latest on Linebrink:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080827-scott-linebrink-chicago-white-sox,1,1116320.story

I like Ozzie's quote about praying for his return.

turners56
08-28-2008, 03:06 PM
The latest on Linebrink:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080827-scott-linebrink-chicago-white-sox,1,1116320.story

I like Ozzie's quote about praying for his return.

SIMULATED GAMES!!!

I wonder if Scott is as good as Prior in those...

KenBerryGrab
08-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Please, let there be no towel involved.

russ99
08-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Sounds good. Things seem to be progressing well.

Looks like Scott's a little behind his expected date of return, which was the 1st week of September. But if he has a good session and can throw his breaking balls we should be able to get him back with plenty of pennant race baseball left to play.

Maybe we'll get a Jenks or Crede, not knowing anything and all of a sudden he's ready to play...

Sockinchisox
08-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Linebrink might throw in a simulated game on Monday and then would return from the DL within a week.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/08/fridays-updates.html

turners56
08-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Linebrink might throw in a simulated game on Monday and then would return from the DL within a week.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/08/fridays-updates.html

About time. We really do miss him. Dotel and Thornton haven't been the same without him in the setup role.

white sox bill
08-29-2008, 07:39 PM
So what does his roster status have to be for post-season eligibility?

Sockinchisox
08-30-2008, 01:37 AM
Simulated game is a go, if that goes well he's going to be activated on Wednesday.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1136089,CST-SPT-soxnt30.article

KyWhiSoxFan
08-30-2008, 07:56 AM
So what does his roster status have to be for post-season eligibility?

He's already eligible, being on the DL on Sept. 1 does not matter. Playoff rosters are set before each series. He just needs to be active and named to the roster to play in a series.

turners56
09-01-2008, 03:10 PM
They said he threw well in the simulated game. His control wasn't very good though.

Link (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/09/linebrinks-simu.html)

UofCSoxFan
09-01-2008, 03:28 PM
They said he threw well in the simulated game. His control wasn't very good though.

Link (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/09/linebrinks-simu.html)

Not too suprising given the long layoff, especially the offspeed stuff. I think it's good that they'll try to get him in a blow out or two before trusting him with the 7th or 8th.