PDA

View Full Version : Twins to add rock wall to new stadium, expect crazy bounces especially for the sox

aloha
08-16-2008, 09:25 PM
If you hated the metrodome just wait.

"The facade bearing the rough-cut stone, about 90 feet long and several feet high, will be in play. So the result could be some crazy bounces once the stadium opens in 2010."

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/27037744.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:a ULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU (http://www.startribune.com/local/west/27037744.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:a ULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU)

Marqhead
08-16-2008, 09:35 PM
What is with all this gimmick bull****? Its a baseball stadium, not an amusement park.

anewman35
08-16-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm sure I'll grow to hate it, but it looks like a really interesting and unique ballpark. And, hopefully, they'll have lots of snowed-out series in April that'll end up hurting them later on...

JohnnyInnsbrook
08-16-2008, 09:47 PM
What is with all this gimmick bull****? Its a baseball stadium, not an amusement park.

In all fairness the Sox have a place where you can race a cardboard cutout....

sox1970
08-16-2008, 09:48 PM
In all fairness the Sox have a place where you can race a cardboard cutout....

In play?

anewman35
08-16-2008, 09:50 PM
In play?

If they didn't do anything different and unique, people would complain the park was too cookie-cutter and boring. It's one of those things where teams just can't win.

doublem23
08-16-2008, 09:54 PM
When I think rock walls... I think Minnesota.

BigP50
08-16-2008, 10:02 PM
No matter where the Twins play and they still exsist I will always ahte them and there stadium

sox1970
08-16-2008, 10:04 PM
No matter where the Twins play and they still exsist I will always ahte them and there stadium

kittle42 would like to have a word.

Bobby Jenks
08-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Interesting concept. I wonder if they ran that past the players first.

dwalteroo
08-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Bad idea jeans. Otherwise the park does seem pretty cool.

LongLiveFisk
08-16-2008, 11:15 PM
It shouldn't be allowed. But then again that strange uphill centerfield area in Houston doesn't make any sense to me either and it's there.

cws05champ
08-16-2008, 11:31 PM
When I think rock walls... I think Minnesota.
Maybe they'll have climbing knots and people can scale it during game play....

DumpJerry
08-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Have you read my signature? Also, try hitting the "spell check" button before the "Submit reply" button.

Memo to Selig: is this gimmick some sort of violation of stadium design rules? This is beyond obscene. Send the franchise to AAA where they belong!

soltrain21
08-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Have you read my signature? Also, try hitting the "spell check" button before the "Submit reply" button.

Memo to Selig: is this gimmick some sort of violation of stadium design rules? This is beyond obscene. Send the franchise to AAA where they belong!

They allow a hill in CF in Houston, why would this be banned?

DumpJerry
08-16-2008, 11:42 PM
It does not interfere with the ball like this wall would. You do bring up a good point, however. Why would MLB allow a flagpole to be planted right where players are running all out to catch a ball?

soltrain21
08-16-2008, 11:50 PM
It does not interfere with the ball like this wall would. You do bring up a good point, however. Why would MLB allow a flagpole to be planted right where players are running all out to catch a ball?

It is pretty dumb. No "gimmick" should be in play like this. I envision a ball taking an odd bounce for a Punto inside the park homerun.

DumpJerry
08-16-2008, 11:53 PM
It is pretty dumb. No "gimmick" should be in play like this. I envision a ball taking an odd bounce for a Punto inside the park homerun.
Well unlike the **** visitors have to put with at the Dome (lousy Batter's Eye, the blowers turned on for Twins' batters, etc.), this is one goofy thing which can hurt the Twins as much as the visiting team. There would be no getting used to it no matter if you play 10 games or 81 games there each year.

anewman35
08-16-2008, 11:54 PM

It'll work for both teams. As long as the "gimmick" works the same for both teams, I don't see the issue. Lots of parks have "gimmicks" in play (the Green Monster, ivy on the walls, hill in center field, dirt path between mound and the plate, etc.), I don't see why this is any different.

rustysurf83
08-17-2008, 12:23 AM
I wonder what the **** is going to happen when players start barrelling into this mother****er to make plays and get the **** beat out of them. I think this idea, along with other **** like the uphill center field, is ****ing stupid and should be regulated by MLB somehow.

twentywontowin
08-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Should have just contracted the team in 2002 like planned and we wouldn't have to worry about this.

RadioheadRocks
08-17-2008, 12:26 AM
It'll work for both teams. As long as the "gimmick" works the same for both teams, I don't see the issue. Lots of parks have "gimmicks" in play (the Green Monster, ivy on the walls, hill in center field, dirt path between mound and the plate, etc.), I don't see why this is any different.

Exactly. "Tal's Hill" was supposed to work AGAINST us in the '05 World Series, and the only time it came in to play was with AJ's double off of Oswalt in inning #5 of Game 3.

hellview
08-17-2008, 12:39 AM
I don't have much of a problem with this. It's open game for the Twins and another team that plays in that stadium so it's not like it's some unfair advantage.

If your gonna have 36 high feet walls in LF, hills in CF, short porches in RF I don't see what the big deal is about this.

EuroSox35
08-17-2008, 12:43 AM
I wonder what the **** is going to happen when players start barrelling into this mother****er to make plays and get the **** beat out of them. I think this idea, along with other **** like the uphill center field, is ****ing stupid and should be regulated by MLB somehow.

I don't think players will even be able to get to it

Nellie_Fox
08-17-2008, 01:34 AM
When I think rock walls... I think Minnesota.Only if it's made out of Kasota stone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasota_limestone), which is what it looks like in the picture. It says it will be on the right field home run porch facade; I think that means upper deck, not where a player can run into it.

They allow a hill in CF in Houston, why would this be banned?Already mentioned, but the hill is nowhere near the big deal that a flagpole in play is. I can't believe that's allowed.

gobears1987
08-17-2008, 01:41 AM
I know for a fact that many older parks did have hills. Fenway had one earlier in its history. I'm not sure on this point, but I believe some of them also had flag poles.

34 Inch Stick
08-17-2008, 01:56 AM
A nice brick wall in centerfield would have worked well back in the Torii Hunter days

Nellie_Fox
08-17-2008, 02:01 AM
I know for a fact that many older parks did have hills. Fenway had one earlier in its history. That hill is modeled on the one at Crosley Field, which went all the way around the outfield, and served as the warning track.

gobears1987
08-17-2008, 02:03 AM
A nice brick wall in centerfield would have worked well back in the Torii Hunter days
The only bad news is we would have had problems during the 9 games Rowand would patrol out there.

I now fear I started a firestorm by mentioning his name.:cower:

Nellie_Fox
08-17-2008, 02:17 AM
The only bad news is we would have had problems during the 9 games Rowand would patrol out there.

I now fear I started a firestorm by mentioning his name.:cower:Rowand would blast a hole through a mere stone wall, then throw out the runner trying to advance on the sac fly.

FedEx227
08-17-2008, 03:20 AM
Rowand would blast a hole through a mere stone wall, then throw out the runner trying to advance on the sac fly.

Or he'd double off the guy on first who took a half lead waiting for the impending Rowand cosmic explosion.

DoItForDanPasqua
08-17-2008, 11:40 AM

Forbes Field also had a flag pole that was in play. It still stands outside the outfield wall today.

I've also been told that Monument Park used to be in play at Yankee Stadium before the park was renovated.

DoItForDanPasqua
08-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Should have just contracted the team in 2002 like planned and we wouldn't have to worry about this.

I wish that too. The Sox would be 9.5 games in first.

LITTLE NELL
08-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Forbes field also had a flag pole that was in play. It still stands outside the outfield wall today.

I've also been told that Monument Park used to be in play at Yankee Stadium before the park was renovated.
Tiger Stadiums flag pole in CF also was in play. Old Yankee Stadium only had 3 mouments in deep CF before the renovation of 74-75, IIRC they were Ruth, Gehrig and Miller Huggins.

turners56
08-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Don't they need padding on the walls all around the field of play?

hawkjt
08-17-2008, 12:42 PM
I am trying to envision what they are describing here. The stone will be several feet high and 90 feet long on the facade of a right field porch that will hang over the field and be in play? So if a ball hits the facade it is in play but if it goes under the overhanging porch into the first deck it is a homer? And if a ball goes over the facade ,obviously it is a homer.

With Morneau and mauer as lefty fixtures ,I see them making right field homer friendly but is there any park with a porch that actually is in play?

Seems very roller ball to me. I guess the trick will be to hit line drives that get under the porch or high drives that go over the porch. I see some long homers being taken away due to hitting that facade deal...screwy..but it is the twins and they love gimmicky fields.

MinnySoxFan
08-17-2008, 01:34 PM
What do you expect from...well...the team who has a garbage bag for a wall?

DumpJerry
08-17-2008, 01:38 PM
One more time. This contraption will be the facade of the UPPER DECK. Unless someone has Manute Bol sitting on Yao Ming's shoulders, nobody will run into it.

anewman35
08-17-2008, 01:54 PM

As somebody else pointed out, it isn't on the field of play. Imagine the Fundamentals deck, but in right field, and hanging over the field. The stone would be the front of the deck. See the renderings at http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/photogallery/year_2007/month_04/day_11/cf1892986.html.

Anyway, as we all know there's a stadium right in Chicago that doesn't have padding on the outfield walls, and people seem to be ok with that...

DumpJerry
08-17-2008, 03:28 PM
As somebody else pointed out, it isn't on the field of play. Imagine the Fundamentals deck, but in right field, and hanging over the field. The stone would be the front of the deck. See the renderings at http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/photogallery/year_2007/month_04/day_11/cf1892986.html.

Anyway, as we all know there's a stadium right in Chicago that doesn't have padding on the outfield walls, and people seem to be ok with that...
Looks nice. Love that natural "roof" overhead!

hawkjt
08-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the link, it is easier to understand now. It is just a two foot strip at the top of the wall that will produce crazy hops back into the field on near homers. Park looks nice but this was not necessary.

D'Sphitz
08-17-2008, 03:41 PM
If you hated the metrodome just wait.

"The facade bearing the rough-cut stone, about 90 feet long and several feet high, will be in play. So the result could be some crazy bounces once the stadium opens in 2010."

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/27037744.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:a ULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU

From the picture the stones look pretty flat to me, it's not like they're going to use jagged edged rocks that deflect balls at 90 degree angles and punch holes into the skulls of outfielders. I think this is being blown out of proportion, and it will probably look pretty cool. Since the wall doesn't even exist yet there's no point in getting all worked up over speculation.

turners56
08-17-2008, 04:18 PM
One more time. This contraption will be the facade of the UPPER DECK. Unless someone has Manute Bol sitting on Yao Ming's shoulders, nobody will run into it.

That's just weird...

DSpivack
08-18-2008, 12:29 AM

From what I see in the renderings, it's not really the upper deck, just a wall above the normal outfield wall padding; the bleacher seats there seem to hang out over the field. I don't think it will take away home runs, but even add them. It seems a similar idea to Wrigley's baskets, in that way.

Nellie_Fox
08-18-2008, 12:45 AM
At the risk of providing information that none of you give a damn about, it is, in fact, Kasota stone, which is quarried about ten miles from my house. The local paper quite proudly announced that today.

Average Homeboy
08-18-2008, 12:48 AM
http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/future/twins952.jpg

DumpJerry
08-18-2008, 12:48 AM
From what I see in the renderings, it's not really the upper deck, just a wall above the normal outfield wall padding; the bleacher seats there seem to hang out over the field. I don't think it will take away home runs, but even add them. It seems a similar idea to Wrigley's baskets, in that way.
The renderings were added to this thread after my post went up.

nasox
08-18-2008, 12:50 AM
At the risk of providing information that none of you give a damn about, it is, in fact, Kasota stone, which is quarried about ten miles from my house. The local paper quite proudly announced that today.

I give a damn. I think it is cool.

DumpJerry
08-18-2008, 01:00 AM
I'm still :scratch: over the title of this thread.

How will it especially effect the Sox and not the other 29 other MLB teams, including the team which will play at least 81 games a year there, the Twins?

soltrain21
08-18-2008, 01:11 AM

How will it especially effect the Sox and not the other 29 other MLB teams, including the team which will play at least 81 games a year there, the Twins?

I think it is a commentary on the luck we have had there over the years.

SoxGirl4Life
08-18-2008, 06:57 AM

I think... there's some trollin' going on. And we bit with four pages of commentary. We even got a nice picture.

oeo
08-18-2008, 08:47 AM

The Twins can't hit it that far. They're too busy beating the ball into the ground and blooping the ball into the outfield.

tstrike2000
08-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Well, if they're going to put a rock wall out there, they might want to think about making the wall heated for the spring and fall games with a hot cocoa stand at the bottom.

Iwritecode
08-18-2008, 11:13 AM

Players have complained about that for years.

IIRC, Torii Hunter said he absolutely did not want to play for the Cubs because of the lack of padding on the outfield wall.

MiamiSpartan
08-22-2008, 04:42 PM
It shouldn't be allowed. But then again that strange uphill centerfield area in Houston doesn't make any sense to me either and it's there.

...and that stupid flag pole....I'm just waiting for someone to get impailed on that thing...
I hope the new Miami ballpark sticks a big Royal Palm right behind 2nd base.:redneck

russ99
08-22-2008, 08:01 PM

Don't rip on the hill & in-play flagpole in center at Minute Maid, as that was borrowed from left-center at old Crosley Field in Cincinnati. Granted, the Astros stole a cool tradition from an entirely different city for their new park. Maybe club President Tal Smith (who's idea it was) grew up a Reds fan...

Nowhere in history has a ballpark had a rock wall. Or Baggies for that matter.

DSpivack
08-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Don't rip on the hill & in-play flagpole in center at Minute Maid, as that was borrowed from left-center at old Crosley Field in Cincinnati. Granted, the Astros stole a cool tradition from an entirely different city for their new park. Maybe club President Tal Smith (who's idea it was) grew up a Reds fan...

Nowhere in history has a ballpark had a rock wall. Or Baggies for that matter.

Crosley and other parks had things like that out of necessity or circumstance. Minute Maid has it as a gimmick and a goof. There's absolutely no reason to have something like that in play.

jabrch
08-22-2008, 09:00 PM

...and "there" grammar text books?

Madscout
08-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Or he'd double off the guy on first who took a half lead waiting for the impending Rowand cosmic explosion.
He did lead the league in Kablamos. Extreme doesn't wear a uniform, bro!

LongLiveFisk
08-23-2008, 12:49 AM
http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/future/twins952.jpg

Meh...it kinda looks like Jacobs Field.

DSpivack
08-23-2008, 01:17 AM
Meh...it kinda looks like Jacobs Field.

The outside of the park has some cool looking limestone.