PDA

View Full Version : Leo Mazzone's Cackle vs. Joe Buck's Smugness

shes
08-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Of the two brain-throbbing Fox announcer characteristics, which is worse?

Buck has the longevity, but new-kid-on-the-block Mazzone has quickly made a case for himself with his grating, incessant squawking.

turners56
08-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Of the two brain-throbbing Fox announcer characteristics, which is worse?

Buck has the longevity, but new-kid-on-the-block Mazzone has quickly made a case for himself with his grating, incessant squawking.

He gives good commentary, but his laugh is just creepy...

shes
08-16-2008, 07:25 PM
He gives good commentary, but his laugh is just creepy...

It has gotten to the point that I don't even hear what he's saying because I'm anticipating the next series of clucks.

turners56
08-16-2008, 07:29 PM
It has gotten to the point that I don't even hear what he's saying because I'm anticipating the next series of clucks.

True...

Marqhead
08-16-2008, 07:45 PM
At least Leo knows something about baseball.

Zisk77
08-16-2008, 07:49 PM
At least Leo knows something about baseball.

Yeah, like throw everything low and away. "Well when I was with the braves greg maddux used..."

Optipessimism
08-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Leo Mazzone has forgotten more about baseball than Joe Buck will ever know. The cackle is annoying, but at least Mazzone would rather be there than in his mansion strutting around in father's shadow wearing women's clothing and blowing kisses at his own perceived legacy. I'd much rather listen to the guy who is grateful to be there, not the guy who believes he should be there but the game should not, unless of course it changes to better suit his feminine television schedule. Joe Buck seems like the kind of guy that will scream at the maid if he finds one little hair on his perfect little specially made child-sized suit.

Joe Buck is like the commentator version of Jay Mariotti. The Windsock can write, but he does it without substance. Joe Buck can talk, but again without substance.

BTW, Mazzone and Ross Gload should get together and have a few beers at the next horror film festival.

Optipessimism
08-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Yeah, like throw everything low and away. "Well when I was with the braves greg maddux used..."
Why shouldn't he talk about Greg Maddux? Maddux is one of the best pitchers to ever play the game.

Zisk77
08-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Its not that he talks about Maddux. Its that every conversation starts with Smoltz did this, maddux, did that, avery's shoes melted, glavine blah blah blah. shoved down your throat. And the critique about everybody's pitchers not throwing low and away constantly.

turners56
08-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Its not that he talks about Maddux. Its that every conversation starts with Smoltz did this, maddux, did that, avery's shoes melted, glavine blah blah blah. shoved down your throat. And the critique about everybody's pitchers not throwing low and away constantly.

Well, those were the great pitchers he coached.

thomas35forever
08-16-2008, 08:40 PM
I've hated Joe Buck from the moment he called McGwire's 62nd. I actually prefer Chip Carey's call over Buck's. And let's not forget his sarcastic "And the White Sox have won the World Series!"

turners56
08-16-2008, 08:42 PM
I've hated Joe Buck from the moment he called McGwire's 62nd. I actually prefer Chip Carey's call over Buck's. And let's not forget his sarcastic "And the White Sox have won the World Series!"

At least he wasn't as bad as Berman...who didn't even mention the White Sox in his first sentence when the Sox swept the Carmines in 05.

doublem23
08-16-2008, 09:05 PM
If I never have to listen to Leo Mazzone call a game, it won't be long enough.

slavko
08-16-2008, 09:18 PM
At least he wasn't as bad as Berman...who didn't even mention the White Sox in his first sentence when the Sox swept the Carmines in 05.

Chris "Jolie" Berman's Bosto-centric world view. He does have a sense of humor which Buck doesn't. Joe's baseball knowledge is not up to the job he has. How do guys like this get top gigs?

EuroSox35
08-16-2008, 09:41 PM
I actually like Leo, when he's cracking himself up, it's usually not that funny, which ends up making it kind of funny for me. He's got good points and he brings something different, no need for another cookie cutter guy

If I never heard from Joe Buck again you wouldn't find me complaining.

TornLabrum
08-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Chris "Jolie" Berman's Bosto-centric world view. He does have a sense of humor which Buck doesn't. Joe's baseball knowledge is not up to the job he has. How do guys like this get top gigs?

They have fathers named Jack Buck?

cards press box
08-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Leo Mazzone provides insight on pitching strategy. I enjoyed listening to him speak about several pitching related topics. Two that come to mind were simplifying a pitcher's repertoire to a well located fastball and changing speeds and throwing the changeup as fast as possible (but with enough of a differential to be offspeed).

Leo also said that Ozzie Guillen was a winner as a player and as a manager. I agree 100% with that.

SOXSINCE'70
08-17-2008, 12:48 PM
I And let's not forget his sarcastic "And the White Sox have won the World Series!"

Remember this one from game 2 of the 2005 ALCS after Crede
hit a hanging Kelvim Escobar slider for a game winning double??

"Off the wall"......(heavy sigh)
"The White Sox have won it"... (heavier sigh) .

The heavy sigh may be implied,but Joe Buck sucks to eternity.
I always call heim Joe Sux,but that's just me. And his lame brained
partner who took waaayyy too many foul tips off the catcher's mask
I refer to as "MacBarfer"

russ99
08-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Yow, that was just awful yesterday. Buck may be the smarmmaster general, but how much inapproppriate laughter and non-game commentary can one take? It was like Mazzone was at a banquet and everyone had to listen to his tired old stories. There's a freaking baseball game on, try to talk about it or even one of the teams playing once or twice an inning...

I had to turn off the sound and listen to Steve and Ed.

TommyGavinFloyd
08-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Yow, that was just awful yesterday. Buck may be the smarmmaster general, but how much inapproppriate laughter and non-game commentary can one take? It was like Mazzone was at a banquet and everyone had to listen to his tired old stories. There's a freaking baseball game on, try to talk about it or even one of the teams playing once or twice an inning...

I had to turn off the sound and listen to Steve and Ed.

You mean Black Jack and Ed?

russ99
08-17-2008, 08:49 PM
You mean Black Jack and Ed?

Yup, Black Jack and Ed. It was good to hear McDowell, even just for a short time. Had them on again today on the roof during the Air & Water show.

seventyseven
08-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Well, those were the great pitchers he coached.

You mean those were the great pitchers the Braves happened to draft/acquire while he was the pitching coach?

TommyGavinFloyd
08-18-2008, 01:36 AM
Yup, Black Jack and Ed. It was good to hear McDowell, even just for a short time. Had them on again today on the roof during the Air & Water show.

I took some stuff down to school and listened to the Saturday game on the way back. I really really enjoy McDowell and have every time he has been in the booth.

Viva Medias B's
08-18-2008, 08:38 AM
I was at work when the game was going on; was Leo doing the play-by-play?

BringBackBlkJack
08-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Joe Buck will never be forgiven for the lackluster announcing of the '05 WS. And for all the people whining about Mazzone's constant references to the 90's Braves pitchers, I don't see the problem with it. The man was responsible for putting together one of the best MLB pitching staffs of all time. And I don't think it was a coincidence that the year after the Braves let him go the 13-year streak of winning their division ended. The man knows baseball, he knows pitching and that no doubt overweighs a chuckle some find annoying. It's probably a nervous tick that will go away once he gets a few years of broadcasting under his belt.

BringBackBlkJack
08-18-2008, 10:45 AM
You mean those were the great pitchers the Braves happened to draft/acquire while he was the pitching coach?

An excerpt from wikipedia:

"In his book The Baseball Economist, J.C. Bradbury titles a chapter, "How Good is Leo Mazzone?" Using statistical analysis, he analyzes whether Mazzone had a significant impact upon the pitchers that he coached. The sample is all pitchers who have pitched at least one year under Mazzone and one year under a different pitching coach. Bradbury found that Mazzone lowered the ERA of pitchers by an average of .64 points, and that after leaving Mazzone, pitchers' ERA increased by an average of .78 points. Bradbury believes that such an impact is deserving of Hall of Fame consideration."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Mazzone

(This appears to be paraphrased from the book and not the actual text. Mods, please delete if this is considered a violation of board policy.)

pythons007
08-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Joe Buck should crawl under a rock and die. I hated him before the 05 World Series and I can't stand his ass now! I hope he gets gonorrhea.

hawkjt
08-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Buck is a pro. Mazzonne is an old pitching coach out of his element in the booth. I respect his coaching but I am tired of him after two games in the booth.