PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Not pretty but Sox take it

gogosox16
08-16-2008, 05:58 PM
discuss.

turners56
08-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Well, at least we won't get swept. That was a horrible game by the offense. Bullpen was strong today though. Go M's...

soltrain21
08-16-2008, 05:59 PM
We are in a pennant race, so take them however you get them.

rookie
08-16-2008, 06:00 PM
:D: That's a winner. Pitching pitched through it!

thomas35forever
http://www.kionic.com/forums/images/smilies/whew.gif

Harry Potter
at this stage a W is a W...

thankfully, we were slightly better today (or less bad?)...

Jim Shorts
I like Danks gumption. He didn't have it and still battled through.

Great outings by Thorton and Jenks. Paulie still struggling.

October26
I luv Bobby Jenks! Ugly game but Sox win, Sox win! Oh yeah :bandance:

JB98
No complaints about a win in Oakland. Ever. I'll take ANY win we get in that place.

Nice job Danks. Nice job Carrasco. GREAT job Thornton. GREAT job Jenks.

Win again tomorrow.

SoxSpeed22
One ugly, brutal game. But a win is a win. Good job by Danks getting out of trouble, without his best stuff. Now if he can avoid trouble...
One thing that the Sox have done well is rebound after *****y losses.

White City
08-16-2008, 06:01 PM
We needed that one, because the Twins are almost surely about to win. 2nd and 3rd, one out. Delmon Young sac bunted with no outs! Smart move, but how many 5-hole hitters are asked to bunt?

Daver
Siox?

Jim Shorts
Well, at least we won't get swept. That was a horrible game by the offense. Bullpen was strong today though. Go M's...

Defense wasn't much better.

We still got the W

Let's go Mariners.

gogosox16
08-16-2008, 06:02 PM

Paulie was hitting it on the Screws today, just right at people. He is definately a defferent hitter this last week or so compared to the rest of the year

JB98

No. He started off a two-run rally with a rope double today. He did more than most Sox hitters today.

White City
Bah! Twins win, tied for first.

Mohoney
It's nice to see the bullpen nail this down.

JermaineDye05
Twins win :angry::whiner:

LoveYourSuit
In that stadium, the flow of the game had me worried.

But the bullpen was lights out. Thornton was awesome.

Let's get the series tomorrow.

Danks was not great but he learned to man up today. Might be a future ace for the South Side.

gogosox16
08-16-2008, 06:03 PM
twins win on a walk off sac fly by Brian Buscher

hawkjt
That was one of the most excruciating wins I have ever sat thru for the sox...you just knew the sword of damacoles was hanging over the whole game....and it was going to drop eventually....but no!!! Sox hang tough and win a game they needed. Now, relax tonite boys...and go out and pound Gio tomorrow...and all is fine with the world.

Jim Shorts
No. He started off a two-run rally with a rope double today. He did more than most Sox hitters today.

How many runners did he leave on base today?

An out is an out, no matter how hard you hit the ball.

He's thisclose.....

JB98
08-16-2008, 06:04 PM

Don't let it ruin your enjoyment of a Sox victory.

Rdy2PlayBall
Well.... at least were still tied. And no big head paste-up thing... Not excided enough from the win. :rolleyes:

turners56
Defense wasn't much better.

We still got the W

Let's go Mariners.

And the M's lose because they decided to use a guy with a 7 ERA in the 9th...good managing.

Jim Shorts
08-16-2008, 06:05 PM
And the M's lose because they decided to use a guy with a 7 ERA in the 9th...good managing.

Okay, I hate them too.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-16-2008, 06:06 PM
The was nervewracking but all's well . . .
Hope this is the Thornton we see the rest of the year. I think he just went thru a period of being overused.

hawkjt
If the sox come back home in first..that is all I can ask knowing the twins have the mariners at home.
This is a pennant race boys...40 games to go. 69-53 right now...need #70 tomorrow.

LoveYourSuit

I don't think they care over there, what a pile of crap that team is.

We better beat them senseless this week at home.

arKnaD7
That was one of the most frustrating games in a while. 13 LOB, only 3 three up & 3 down innings (Danks' last inning, Thornton, and Jenks I believe).

That game will go down as one of those "toss-up" games, so a good win.

White City

He's thisclose.....

I'll say this ... if that last one had been a hit, he'd have the same batting average as Nick Swisher. Nick and JD with their 0-for-9 and 12 LOB are easier targets in this one than Paulie, who has been better (but certainly not great!) in recent weeks.

JB98

He's thisclose.....

Konerko is hitting over .300 in the month of August. If your argument is we need more RBIs from him, I agree. But I wouldn't describe him as "struggling" right now. He's helping the offense a helluva lot more now than he was in July. He's taking some walks and getting on base with more frequency. We do need more RBIs. I think it will come.

WhiteSoxBlog
08-16-2008, 06:08 PM
13 LOB? That's probably the order of the lineup. Not pretty. But we got more in than they did. That's all that matters.

Good to see Matt Thornton going strong these past two days. The outing before, he looked like Boone Logan. Don't need two of that. :wink:

LoveYourSuit
08-16-2008, 06:08 PM
I think two huge bonus pieces are still there for us in Linebrink and Crede.

Although Uribe has been good enough to make me forget about the slumping Crede we had the last 2-3 weeks he was here on the roster.

turners56
08-16-2008, 06:09 PM
I don't think they care over there, what a pile of crap that team is.

We better beat them senseless this week at home.

They have a knack for the big inning, but they also have a knack for giving up the big inning and terrible managing.

hawkjt
The problem is the twins still play the mariners another series and the A's for seven more games....they both suck. Twins are taking this to the wire and it is going to be painfully exciting.

Juan made the defensive plays that saved the game today. I am ok with him in there the rest of the way as he also had a double and RBI.

voodoochile
Whew...

I don't really want to eat a flaming bowl of dog****...:D:

Didn't get to see a minute of the game. Maybe that's a good thing. That's how you get off the schneid... over the hump... out of the weeds in a place where you struggle. You find a way to win on a day when things don't go well and presto, your luck starts to change.

:winner

:)

:moonwalk:

DickAllen72
08-16-2008, 06:10 PM
discuss.
Crappy game by both sides but at least the Sox won. They need to win the series tomorrow.

October26
08-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Despite 13 runners left on base, the White Sox managed to hang on and Danks does get his 10th win - without having his best stuff today. Sox bullpen pitched great today and held the A's to only 1 run. :bandance:

I hope TDog was able to attend this game and witness a Sox win after the disaster last night.

DickAllen72
08-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Minnesota Twins: "Too much good stuff." :(:

Brian26
08-16-2008, 06:13 PM
discuss.

I disagree with the thread title; a 2-1 victory is always pretty.

gogosox16
08-16-2008, 06:15 PM
OK I am admitting right now that at the beginning of the year I would of never said both Gavin and John would win at least 10 games each and both have an era under 4.

turners56
08-16-2008, 06:15 PM

More like too much Jason Kubel and too many sac flies.

turners56
08-16-2008, 06:16 PM
OK I am admitting right now that at the beginning of the year I would of never said both Gavin and John would win at least 10 games each and both have an era under 4.

You would be flamed for such nonsensical optimism had you posted that they would.

gogosox16
I disagree with the thread title; a 2-1 victory is always pretty.
I'm sorry, but I put that as the thread title because it was not a fundamentally sound baseball game and it was very nerve wracking

LoveYourSuit
What a horrible place to have a postgame show from.... Oakland.

gogosox16
08-16-2008, 06:17 PM
You would be flamed for such nonsensical optimism had you posted that they would.
your probably right:tongue:

Brian26
08-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Konerko is hitting over .300 in the month of August. If your argument is we need more RBIs from him, I agree. But I wouldn't describe him as "struggling" right now. He's helping the offense a helluva lot more now than he was in July. He's taking some walks and getting on base with more frequency. We do need more RBIs. I think it will come.

Konerko looks comfortable at the plate right now. It's like a different guy from the guy who was struggling last month. I think results will follow.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-16-2008, 06:20 PM
I think two huge bonus pieces are still there for us in Linebrink and Crede.

Although Uribe has been good enough to make me forget about the slumping Crede we had the last 2-3 weeks he was here on the roster.

Man, I hope you're right. Seems like never any news on the two lately. Tho if they are just keeping Joe out as long as possible, hoping to get a month like April out of him that's fine with me.

gogosox16
Konerko looks comfortable at the plate right now. It's like a different guy from the guy who was struggling last month. I think results will follow.
I hope your right, Also I believe that his wrist is starting to finally get completely healthy again, because Hawk was always talking about that and ever since he had back to back days off when we first acquired Griffey, he's been doing exceptionally well.

Brian26
I'm sorry, but I put that as the thread title because it was not a fundamentally sound baseball game and it was very nerve wracking

Every baseball game can't be a 10-run blowout. I don't mind nerve-wracking games...its good entertainment. It makes it that more enjoyable when the Sox win too.

turners56
08-16-2008, 06:21 PM

Paulie crushed the ball today, the entire Sox lineup did off of Smith. Most of them were just hit in the wrong place.

What really hurts about this win is that knowing what SHOULD have happened yesterday, we could of won the series already...but I guess it's a trade-off (we should of won yesterday, but didn't really deserve to win today).

Instead, we have a rubber game tomorrow...*sigh.

TomBradley72
08-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Our starters are really battling....over the last 5 games (KC & Oak)...almost all the opposition's runs have been caused by lapses on defense. Excluding last night's debacle late in the game.

August is always a grind 'em out month. Taking one at Oakland is fantastic...one thing about this team...they battle as tough as any Sox team I've seen.

DickAllen72
Every baseball game can't be a 10-run blowout. I don't mind nerve-wracking games...its good entertainment. It makes it that more enjoyable when the Sox win too.
I just hate having a nerve-wracking game against a crappy team the day after they just blew a game against that same crappy team.

On the other hand, a nerve-wracking game against a team like the Angels makes good entertainment--especially when the Sox win.

Woofer
All that matters is the W.

LoveYourSuit
08-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Toby took the pie in the face....very nice.

Whitesoxfan23
08-16-2008, 06:26 PM
This wasn't what you call a "pretty" game, but I honestly don't give a damn. We don't play well in Oakland, and a win is a win. I'll take it. Let's take the series tomorrow. P.S. I hate the Minnesota Twins, even more than the Cubs.

turners56
08-16-2008, 06:30 PM
This wasn't what you call a "pretty" game, but I honestly don't give a damn. We don't play well in Oakland, and a win is a win. I'll take it. Let's take the series tomorrow. P.S. I hate the Minnesota Twins, even more than the Cubs.

You should always hate your divisional foes more than the Cubs.

gogosox16
08-16-2008, 06:31 PM
You should always hate your divisional foes more than the Cubs.
unless if your playing the Cubs

turners56
08-16-2008, 06:34 PM
unless if your playing the Cubs

You don't have to hate the team you play. I dislike the Cubs too, but not more than any other AL Central team.

Chez
08-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Paulie crushed the ball today, the entire Sox lineup did off of Smith. Most of them were just hit in the wrong place.

Right. Although 13 LOB is lots, I can't remember a game where the Sox hit more rockets right at 'em. Win tomorrow and Friday will seem like a distant memory.

Jim Shorts
08-16-2008, 06:43 PM

He is not producing, period.

And, I love this, well, let's lump him in with BA and Swish if we're going to be so hard on mr. konerko. Last I saw, neither are being paid superstar money.

Marqhead
08-16-2008, 06:43 PM
I couldn't bear tracking this game past the 7th after what happened last night. Just checked the score, and pleased with the outcome. Sloppy play, trouble with RISP, lots of LOB, but a win is a win. Lets take the series tomorrow.

Zisk77
08-16-2008, 06:46 PM
That was one of the most excruciating wins I have ever sat thru for the sox...you just knew the sword of damacoles was hanging over the whole game....and it was going to drop eventually....but no!!! Sox hang tough and win a game they needed. Now, relax tonite boys...and go out and pound Gio tomorrow...and all is fine with the world.

Nice allusion. Hopefully, the twins will experience a sysiphusean pursuit of the division. Now I'm going to take a nap on my procrustean bed.

hawkjt
08-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Toby gets wacked....payback is a bitch,Tobster!!:D:

I have to give it to Toby...everything he does is slow..run,behind the plate and swing...but he has managed a lot of oppo field hits with that ponderous swing of his...way to strike a blow for us ''slow''guys, Toby.

MCHSoxFan
08-16-2008, 07:20 PM
We are in a pennant race, so take them however you get them.

Hell yes! That is all that is needed to be said.

Frater Perdurabo
08-16-2008, 07:36 PM
A win? I'll take it under any circumstances.

Go Sox and go Mariners!

EuroSox35
08-16-2008, 08:38 PM
My favorite part of this game was Ozzie's handling of Danks. He stressed at times, but got out of the jams when he needed to. Props to Uribe who keeps on finding ways to contribute

BigP50
08-16-2008, 09:10 PM
I didn't get to watch but by looking at the score they must have done work

JB98
08-16-2008, 09:40 PM

And, I love this, well, let's lump him in with BA and Swish if we're going to be so hard on mr. konerko. Last I saw, neither are being paid superstar money.

You just really have no idea what you're talking about. I didn't say anything about Anderson or Swisher. The discussion was about Konerko. And Konerko did produce today. He doubled and scored.

PopsBrechtel
08-16-2008, 09:41 PM
As others have said, A win is a win.

Let's go get 'em again tomorrow

cws05champ
08-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Right. Although 13 LOB is lots, I can't remember a game where the Sox hit more rockets right at 'em. Win tomorrow and Friday will seem like a distant memory.
I listened to some of the game on the radio, and they said the Sox were 0-14 in productive outs.:o: Not only did they leave them on, they did not once move them over. Oh well....a win is a win. Let's take the series, and go M's!!

hawkjt
08-17-2008, 01:52 AM
As bad as the Sox offense was today...the Bears were a lot worse...what a long fall it will be if the Sox do not come thru. If they do come thru, we bounce right into the Bulls from the world series:D:

gogosox16
08-17-2008, 01:59 AM
As bad as the Sox offense was today...the Bears were a lot worse...what a long fall it will be if the Sox do not come thru. If they do come thru, we bounce right into the Bulls from the world series:D:
The only thing I'm looking forward to this fall and winter is the Blackhawks. Geez, who would of thought that:bandance:

Jim Shorts
08-17-2008, 10:50 AM
You just really have no idea what you're talking about. I didn't say anything about Anderson or Swisher. The discussion was about Konerko. And Konerko did produce today. He doubled and scored.

Convenient you left out the question of how many did PK leave on base.

But you're right, you're the only one who knows the game of baseball.

Ex-MtGreenwood
08-17-2008, 12:43 PM

Yup.....'The Little Engine That Could'.

TomBradley72
08-17-2008, 01:00 PM

For the month of August PK has an OPS of 1.021...second only to Quentin among the regulars. He did not produce for most of this season...but all the evidence points to him coming out of it. The statement "He is not producing period" is ridiculous.

TommyJohn
08-17-2008, 01:42 PM
For the month of August PK has an OPS of 1.021...second only to Quentin among the regulars. He did not produce for most of this season...but all the evidence points to him coming out of it. The statement "He is not producing period" is ridiculous.

Shhhh. Quit confusing people with facts. It throws them off, makes it all the harder for them to find something about which to bitch.

LITTLE NELL
08-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Winning ugly sure beats losing ugly.

Jim Shorts
08-17-2008, 06:41 PM

Give me his production for the Oakland series...

Perhaps my brush was a bit too broad, but the fact remains, Paulie leaves guys on base at an alarming rate. Dispute that.

TomBradley72
08-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Give me his production for the Oakland series...

Perhaps my brush was a bit too broad, but the fact remains, Paulie leaves guys on base at an alarming rate. Dispute that.

I can't.

But Dye and Swisher were just as bad yesterday. If there's anyone sucking it up on offense right now...it's Swisher...hitting ~.200 since the All Star break. Paulie is drawing walks and picking up some hits...not great...but showing some signs of life and if we can just get a 2-3 week hot streak out of him...a huge lift. I would like to see him swapped in the order with Ramirez.