PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else getting frustrated with Joe Crede?

Whitesoxfan23
08-16-2008, 01:46 PM
We really could use him right now. It seems like he is playing it safe right now. Thank god Uribe is playing good defense.

sox1970
08-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Who is this Joe Crede you speak of?

WhiteSoxBlog
08-16-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm frustrated that he's not playing- and that there's no definite answer as to what exactly is happening to him, but I'm not frustrated with him. I'm sure he's not doing this to himself on purpose.

JB98
08-16-2008, 02:01 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think we miss Crede's bat more than we miss his glove.

Uribe screwed the pooch on that little pop-up last night, but his defense saved us a couple games on the last homestand.

The bottom of the lineup does look significantly weaker, however, with Uribe in there and Crede out.

EMachine10
08-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Uribe's bat wouldn't seem so weak if we weren't relying as much as we are on him. Hawk, DJ, Farmer, and Stone have all said that Uribe is an incredible asset to this team with his glove, and that any added offense you receive from his bat is a bonus. If we were getting typical production from Konerko and Swisher, and perhaps even Griffey, we wouldn't be interested in Uribe's bat - we could let him play his defense and move on, like we have in the past with him.

Adele_H
08-16-2008, 02:10 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think we miss Crede's bat more than we miss his glove.

Uribe screwed the pooch on that little pop-up last night, but his defense saved us a couple games on the last homestand.

The bottom of the lineup does look significantly weaker, however, with Uribe in there and Crede out.

Again, it wildly depends WHICH Joe Crede you'll be getting back.

The Joe Crede of April & June? Or the error machine cripple whose bat was barely dragging through the hitting zone before he went on the DL?

RockJock07
08-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Again, it wildly depends WHICH Joe Crede you'll be getting back.

The Joe Crede of April & June? Or the error machine cripple whose bat was barely dragging through the hitting zone before he went on the DL?

So ture, Crede was helping no one when he was swinging a sluggish bat and throwing the ball all over the field.

Aubery Huff is on waviers, he can play 3rd and has some pop in his bat, I wouldn't mind seeing him playing at 3rd 4-5 times a week.

Jim Shorts
08-16-2008, 02:20 PM
I think I'm more frustrated with Linebrink than Crede

cheezheadsoxfan
08-16-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm not so much frustrated with the players as with what seems like a news blackout.:scratch:

doublem23
08-16-2008, 02:46 PM
We really could use him right now. It seems like he is playing it safe right now. Thank god Uribe is playing good defense.

I'd rather he come back 100% for good than come back 80% and have to be shut down again.

doublem23
08-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Aubery Huff is on waviers, he can play 3rd and has some pop in his bat, I wouldn't mind seeing him playing at 3rd 4-5 times a week.

Right now, Uribe's bat is just as good as Huff's and he's playing far superior defense. No need to rock the boat here.

kevingrt
08-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Right now, Uribe's bat is just as good as Huff's and he's playing far superior defense. No need to rock the boat here.

Completely agree. Huff's defense at 3B isn't anywhere near what Uribe or Crede's is.

anewman35
08-16-2008, 03:49 PM

I hardly think that's fair. How do you know what his current ability and pain levels are?

Frater Perdurabo
08-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Frustrated with Crede personally? No.

Frustrated with the 3B situation? Yes.

But I'm more frustrated with the bullpen.

Frontman
08-16-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm frustrated in the lack of information about Joe and how he's doing versus anger of him not being able to play.

btrain929
08-16-2008, 06:10 PM

:o::o::o:

Have you bothered to pay attention to Aubrey Huff this year?

25HR/82RBI/.303AVG with OPS of .910.

The only reasons we might not pursue him is I believe he has an expensive option for next yr (10 mil or so), and BAL would probably want a ton in return (I don't blame them). But with our uncertainty at 3B for next year, I wouldn't be upset if he was brought in at all.

turners56
08-16-2008, 06:13 PM

Aubrey Huff's been the best DH in baseball this season...

But he's no 3B.

DickAllen72
Joe who?

turners56
:o::o::o:

Have you bothered to pay attention to Aubrey Huff this year?

25HR/82RBI/.303AVG with OPS of .910.

The only reasons we might not pursue him is I believe he has an expensive option for next yr (10 mil or so), and BAL would probably want a ton in return (I don't blame them). But with our uncertainty at 3B for next year, I wouldn't be upset if he was brought in at all.

Huff's been this good before with the Rays. He had a couple of bad seasons in between though. Aubrey can't really play 3B, so I wouldn't bother. If you're trying to replace Konerko, it wouldn't be such a bad idea then...

turners56
08-16-2008, 06:14 PM

I love the signature Crede pop-up...

DickAllen72
08-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Uribe's bat wouldn't seem so weak if we weren't relying as much as we are on him. Hawk, DJ, Farmer, and Stone have all said that Uribe is an incredible asset to this team with his glove, and that any added offense you receive from his bat is a bonus. If we were getting typical production from Konerko and Swisher, and perhaps even Griffey, we wouldn't be interested in Uribe's bat - we could let him play his defense and move on, like we have in the past with him.
If those guys were producing like they're supposed to, the Sox would be in first place with a comfortable cushion by now.

Adele_H
08-16-2008, 06:41 PM
I'd rather he come back 100% for good than come back 80% and have to be shut down again.

In the real world you're not given that option. Joe Crede most likely will never be 100% again in his career.

Best you hope for is a September return at 80%, Sox using him wisely, with Joe having a great Postseason on epidural, helping the Sox win the World Series.

Then you let him go as FA.

UofCSoxFan
08-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Am I the only that does see the logic behind the speculation that Crede is sitting out to make himself more marketable for next year?

Sitting out now may help his health for next year, but he's going to get his contract based on what he does THIS year. By sitting out it brings up questions of his health that should hurt his value. Even if he comes back the last 3 weeks and his .350 over that span, the questions still remain. Crede needs to prove he can stay healthy and he simply isn't doing that but "resting up for next year" as many sepculate. And I don't think telling clubs "I was actually healthy but I wanted to rest to make sure I could play up to my next contract instead of helping my current team win a title" is going to fly.

UofCSoxFan
08-17-2008, 10:46 AM

I'll give you Konerko. Swisher really isn't that far below his career numbers....he's always been a low average, high OBP guy. I don't know what you epected from Griffey, but what you see now isn't that much worse than what he's been doing all year for the Reds.

Jurr
08-17-2008, 11:11 AM
It may seem like he's playing it safe, and people will without fail bring up his contract/Boras, but you need to understand the medical issues he faces.

Crede has had surgery to repair herniated discs. This is no small issue. When a disc is repaired, even in a microdiscectomy procedure, scar tissue develops. The connective tissue that surrounded the gel-like "interior" of the disc ruptured, which caused the issue. A microdiscectomy is performed to remove the tissue that leaked out (which pushes on nerves, causing pain). That connective tissue capsule can only close up with a little scar tissue, and will never be as strong as it was. There isn't a definitive "cure" to the issue, especially for an athlete that's being asked to dive around on the ground, stay in a bent position, and torque the back with a violent swinging motion (during hitting).

Also, once the disc ruptures and some of the nucleus (the gel stuff) squirts out, the disc space shrinks. This can cause issues (a domino effect) in all of the other vertebrae. There's no telling how bad Joe's back is or can become.

In summary, a back injury for an athlete with Joe's demands is no small issue. The guy is probably very concerned with his future in baseball.

cards press box
08-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Am I the only that does see the logic behind the speculation that Crede is sitting out to make himself more marketable for next year?

Sitting out now may help his health for next year, but he's going to get his contract based on what he does THIS year. By sitting out it brings up questions of his health that should hurt his value. Even if he comes back the last 3 weeks and his .350 over that span, the questions still remain. Crede needs to prove he can stay healthy and he simply isn't doing that but "resting up for next year" as many sepculate. And I don't think telling clubs "I was actually healthy but I wanted to rest to make sure I could play up to my next contract instead of helping my current team win a title" is going to fly.

I cannot imagine that the injury has made him more marketable. The injury raises several questions: (1) will the back injury ever really go away, (2) if the back will always be an issue, perhaps managing the back and nursing the injury over the course of a long season is the best that Crede (and whatever team signs him) can expect in the future and (3) back injuries do not get better with age.

No, this latest back injury after last year's surgery and in the middle of this pennant race can only make Crede less marketable next year.

Jurr
08-17-2008, 11:15 AM
I cannot imagine that the injury has made him more marketable. The injury raises several questions: (1) will the back injury ever really go away, (2) if the back will always be an issue, perhaps managing the back and nursing the injury over the course of a long season is the best that Crede (and whatever team signs him) can expect in the future and (3) back injuries do not get better with age.

No, this latest back injury after last year's surgery and in the middle of this pennant race can only make Crede less marketable next year.
This LATEST back injury is the result of the original. It's a terrible degenerative change that will increase with time, especially the way Crede has to use his back.

cards press box
08-17-2008, 11:30 AM
This LATEST back injury is the result of the original. It's a terrible degenerative change that will increase with time, especially the way Crede has to use his back.

I agree that the latest injury is a result of the original one and that is my point. Back injuries don't get better. Other third basemen (e.g., Bill Melton and Al Rosen) devopled bad backs that eventually shortened their careers.

Joe Crede has been a great player for the White Sox and his play in 2005 led the Sox to a world championship. I fear, however, that this back problem will be chronic and will limit his play on the field.

Jurr
08-17-2008, 11:38 AM
I agree that the latest injury is a result of the original one and that is my point. Back injuries don't get better. Other third basemen (e.g., Bill Melton and Al Rosen) devopled bad backs that eventually shortened their careers.

Joe Crede has been a great player for the White Sox and his play in 2005 led the Sox to a world championship. I fear, however, that this back problem will be chronic and will limit his play on the field.
Exactly right. I am very sad to see Sox fans stating opinions that Crede not playing is a result of Boras or money. Ignorance is bliss.

35th and Shields
08-17-2008, 12:46 PM

We do seem to keep saying that he can't hit but I saw (I think on TV) that uribe's been hitting .278 or something since june and over .300 with runners in scoring position

#1swisher
08-17-2008, 08:20 PM

IMO, I will take Joe Crede with back problems and limited playing time on the field.
When he's well there is none better. IMO
Get well soon, 2008 ALL-STAR CREDE

BadBobbyJenks
08-17-2008, 08:25 PM
I am extremely happy with Juan Uribe.

ChiSox89
08-17-2008, 09:13 PM
gettin crede back will help, but right now, i would leave uribe as the starter cause of his glove at third and the way he is hittin the ball as of late

Vernam
08-17-2008, 09:39 PM
This LATEST back injury is the result of the original. It's a terrible degenerative change that will increase with time, especially the way Crede has to use his back.Having had an L-4 laminectomy myself, my sense of back surgery is that it can alleviate -- maybe even eliminate -- pain for most people, but range-of-motion and durability issues will remain. I can golf, for which I'm thankful, but my back will let me know about it the next day. (Strangely, the injury does not permit me to do yard work. :wink:)

Two guys I think of are Bill Melton and Don Mattingly. I'll admit surgical techniques have improved since the mid-70s, when I think Melton underwent a new procedure in which they injected enzymes to dissolve the affected disk. Not too appealing. Mattingly's surgery was of the same vintage as mine (late 80s), and you can see the sad results -- he lost his ability to hit for power and, with it, his chance at the Hall of Fame.

Joe's situation may be similar to Maggs's only in the sense that Boras will probably find some team crazy enough to give him a big deal. But having also had a meniscus repaired arthroscopically (not the fancy kind Maggs got), I can tell you it was kid's stuff compared to my back surgery.

Vernam

Vernam

michned
08-18-2008, 01:48 AM
Strangely, the injury does not permit me to do yard work.

Nice...:cool:

nccwsfan
08-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Crede's my favorite positional player on this team, but it's looking more and more to me like he's played his final game with the White Sox. Uribe has filled in just fine during his absence, and even when #24 does get back to the team there's no guarantee that he'll be able to perform at the level we'd like him too.

Like many others on this post I'd much rather get a healthy Scott Linebrink back into the fold- we need him badly. If Uribe ends up being the 3B for the remainder of 2008 it's not the ideal situation but I'd be fine with it.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-18-2008, 07:55 AM
I agree - Uribe's glove is been crucial these past few weeks at 3rd. Him now starting to hit doesn't hurt either.

What makes me sad is little by little, the team that won the WS is slowly being dismantled - be it age, injury, trades.....being an adult you KNOW they don't stay together forever....but still, it's hard to "accept" at times. I think Crede's time in the black pinstripe is just about over.

Jurr
08-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Having had an L-4 laminectomy myself, my sense of back surgery is that it can alleviate -- maybe even eliminate -- pain for most people, but range-of-motion and durability issues will remain. I can golf, for which I'm thankful, but my back will let me know about it the next day. (Strangely, the injury does not permit me to do yard work. :wink:)

Two guys I think of are Bill Melton and Don Mattingly. I'll admit surgical techniques have improved since the mid-70s, when I think Melton underwent a new procedure in which they injected enzymes to dissolve the affected disk. Not too appealing. Mattingly's surgery was of the same vintage as mine (late 80s), and you can see the sad results -- he lost his ability to hit for power and, with it, his chance at the Hall of Fame.

Joe's situation may be similar to Maggs's only in the sense that Boras will probably find some team crazy enough to give him a big deal. But having also had a meniscus repaired arthroscopically (not the fancy kind Maggs got), I can tell you it was kid's stuff compared to my back surgery.

Vernam

Vernam
Boras would have to be a magician to pull it off. However, based on some reports out there (that Joe's protecting his "investment"), it seems like "baseball people" are clueless to the extent of trouble Joe could have from this back problem.

30DaysintheHole
08-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Since Crede went out on the DL, the only clear statement from his camp was that this back "inflammation" was not related to his back surgery. Red flag right there.

As previous posters mentioned, his back surgery was not a walk in the park. I would be very surprised if this was a ploy on the part of his agent to bring in a bigger contract next year. I suspect he was feeling it before the All Star game and pushed it a bit longer for that Game.

If Boras is behind this, he is in effect sending a message to the rest of the league that Crede is a player who would rather sit out the seson than help his team push for the pennant. Not so very appealing.

I hope it works out for Crede - he seems to be a guy with his heart in the game.

gobears1987
08-18-2008, 06:18 PM
If Boras is behind this, he is in effect sending a message to the rest of the league that Crede is a player who would rather sit out the seson than help his team push for the pennant. Not so very appealing.

Why is it not surprising for Bora$$ to do this? Another of his clients was going to quit on his team this year if he wasn't traded.

30DaysintheHole
08-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Point taken on Boras. I just am of the camp who believes the injury is what is controlling the situation - not the agent. Frustrating for all involved, I am sure.

Jurr
08-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Why is it not surprising for Bora$$ to do this? Another of his clients was going to quit on his team this year if he wasn't traded.
Manny Ramirez is a primadonna. Always has been. Yes, Boras can push buttons to make a guy like Manny act up to achieve financial goals.

Crede is getting nerve pain (or as they said, "inflammation") from a previously surgically corrected back. Inflammation around a protruded disc is exactly what causes back pain. Now, is Crede's "camp"(Boras) going to come out and say that the back is experiencing directly related pain? Nope. That wouldn't be smart. Boras is hoping that he can get one big contract out of Crede before the young man's back gives out. In Scott Boras' perfect world, he'll get a Mike Hampton-esque contract that benefits nobody but the agent and the player.

I guarandamntee you that all Joe Crede wants to do is wake up and swing a bat without feeling like someone's jabbing a hot iron spike into his lower back.

kitekrazy
08-18-2008, 08:37 PM
I guess the worse thing for a player who is out with an injury in the last year of his contract is to see the team win without him.

I don't see the Sox signing him.

Jurr
08-18-2008, 09:08 PM
I guess the worse thing for a player who is out with an injury in the last year of his contract is to see the team win without him.

If they did, it would have to be INCENTIVE LADEN. You just can't hand the kid guaranteed money.

Daver
08-18-2008, 09:13 PM

I can, in arbitration.

WhiteSoxBlog
08-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Well, good news! Crede's starting his rehab assignment tomorrow (fingers crossed, knock on wood, all that good stuff). I'm sure all our encouraging messages in this post finally got him to rethink what he was doing. :tongue: (That or they were probably just waiting for the Knights to start playing home games 'cause they've been on the road for awhile and they probably didn't want him schlepping about the country with them.)

Sarcasm aside, I'm excited for him to get back :bandance:

Jason82807
08-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Just giving my $0.02 on the Crede/Uribe thing, I think Crede definately has more consistant offense, and he's got faster reflexes on defense, but one thing I didn't notics about Uribe until the last month was how strong and accurate Uribe's throwing arm is. I really don't know who's the better man for the job, but it seems like lately we just had the right guy in at the right time.

jabrch
08-19-2008, 12:55 AM
I want him back when his back is ready to be back.

Right now, I'm glad KW had the foresight to keep Uribe despite all the calls for his release. He's been a big part of the team the past 6-8 weeks.

jabrch
08-19-2008, 12:57 AM
I can, in arbitration.

You think he accepts a 1 year deal, assumedly for 20% less than he is making this year? (that would be 4mm)

I can't see it.

Daver
08-19-2008, 01:07 AM
You think he accepts a 1 year deal, assumedly for 20% less than he is making this year? (that would be 4mm)

I can't see it.

Might be the best offer he gets.

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 03:06 AM

At this point it's all one big "It Depends", isn't it?

If Brooks Credenson does come back some time soon on epidural; plays mediocre ball as he did before being put on DL, has a productive October... He will get more than 1 yr/4 mill - a lot more, probably with all sorts of PA-based escalators.

And if upon his return Joe Crede pulls a Mark Mulder and is quickly shut down for the year, which seems much more likely - why in the world would the Sox want him back for 2009, to begin with?

One possibility noone's mentioned is Adrian Beltre. It's hard to believe but he's younger than Crede, at this point superior defensively, superior on the pads, and has a higher ceiling offensively - especially if you put him at USCF, with better line-up protection, and with the right manager/hitting coach that convinces him to stop chasing pitches at his shoulders..... Change of scenery and all that.

As long as Mariners are willing to pay a reasonable chunk of his salary, that'd be a medium risk/high reward avenue to explore.

Jurr
08-19-2008, 11:06 AM
At this point it's all one big "It Depends", isn't it?

If Brooks Credenson does come back some time soon on epidural; plays mediocre ball as he did before being put on DL, has a productive October... He will get more than 1 yr/4 mill - a lot more, probably with all sorts of PA-based escalators.

And if upon his return Joe Crede pulls a Mark Mulder and is quickly shut down for the year, which seems much more likely - why in the world would the Sox want him back for 2009, to begin with?

One possibility noone's mentioned is Adrian Beltre. It's hard to believe but he's younger than Crede, at this point superior defensively, superior on the pads, and has a higher ceiling offensively - especially if you put him at USCF, with better line-up protection, and with the right manager/hitting coach that convinces him to stop chasing pitches at his shoulders..... Change of scenery and all that.

As long as Mariners are willing to pay a reasonable chunk of his salary, that'd be a medium risk/high reward avenue to explore.
The first part of this post is right on, and I guarantee you that's what's brewing in Boras' head. Crede can get epidurals and fight through the season, put up decent numbers, and screw the rest. Some sucker gets to eat a sizeable portion of a long term contract on a player that is a chronic back case. I just couldn't see a team forking that money out w/o a large amount of medical consultation/testing.

oeo
08-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Of course a lot will depend if Sox are able to find a suitor for Paul Konerko AND Konerko waives his trade-veto rights...

And then there is Griffey on the books...

Griffey has a team option for $16.5 million. Not happening.

And with Thome likely coming back...new contract? Again, not happening.

Adele_H
08-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Griffey has a team option for $16.5 million. Not happening.

So it's a Team option only? In that case, good.

Now all Sox need is for Konerko to get really hot down the stretch, then find an offense-desperate, GM-stupid suitor for him in the off-season.

Cut ties with Cabrera, Crede...

Presto: good $$$ freed up for better re-investment.

Lundind1
08-19-2008, 05:31 PM
I see Thome coming back next year because I believe he has an automatic option for 2009 if he gets over 525 plate appearances in 2008.

I have a real problem with trying to keep Crede. We must not fall in love with some of these players, because after all it is simply a business. If he does go, we will get a compensatory draft pick. The same goes for OC.

I would venture to guess that we are either going to see some hole in the wall player come in, similar to CQ and ARam, to fill out the 3B spot.

So if you're as lost as I am, well thats ok. IF Joe is better, we would need him for a possible postseason run. I just don't know. I guess that a good guage of what he can do will depend upon, and I know this sounds strange, how he fouls the ball off during at bats. I have noticed that when he hits into the first base side of the club level, he is healthy and hitting good, if not....like last year, he will strike out a ton more than usual and will not have good, battling AB's.

Any ideas besides Uribe who could take that spot???:scratch:

kitekrazy
08-19-2008, 09:46 PM
I want him back when his back is ready to be back.

Right now, I'm glad KW had the foresight to keep Uribe despite all the calls for his release. He's been a big part of the team the past 6-8 weeks.

I would rather offer OC a contract and let Joe go elsewhere. Keep Uribe at 3rd, Ramirez at 2nd.

Adele_H
08-20-2008, 12:51 AM
I would rather offer OC a contract and let Joe go elsewhere. Keep Uribe at 3rd, Ramirez at 2nd.

So you'd rather pay a glorified Royce Clayton 3 year, 35 mill -type contract?

And isn't Uribe also due to get paid at some point?

eriqjaffe
08-20-2008, 08:34 AM
And isn't Uribe also due to get paid at some point?I would assume that Uribe gets paid on the same schedule as the rest of the players. ;)

Seriously, Uribe is a free agent after this season.

cws05champ
08-20-2008, 08:55 AM
I would assume that Uribe gets paid on the same schedule as the rest of the players. ;)

Seriously, Uribe is a free agent after this season.
At this point in Uribe's career he is a good utility player and nothing more. People have short memories...when Uribe was a starter he was blasted every game for his wild swings and inability to execute. Every year he has been with us he has a had a good spurt at some point of the year, and this year is no different. He is having that spurt now. But don't confuse the Uribe you see out there at 3B with an everyday 3B, because that would be a big mistake I hope the White Sox don't make. I don't think he'll ever get a per year contract as much as he has this year($4.5M) from any other team. Now he may get more years than the White sox would probably offer which would be a 1 year deal.

34 Inch Stick
08-20-2008, 09:15 AM

If that were the case, wouldn't Boras accept arbitration if/when it is offered?

palehozenychicty
08-20-2008, 09:16 AM
At this point in Uribe's career he is a good utility player and nothing more. People have short memories...when Uribe was a starter he was blasted every game for his wild swings and inability to execute. Every year he has been with us he has a had a good spurt at some point of the year, and this year is no different. He is having that spurt now. But don't confuse the Uribe you see out there at 3B with an everyday 3B, because that would be a big mistake I hope the White Sox don't make. I don't think he'll ever get a per year contract as much as he has this year($4.5M) from any other team. Now he may get more years than the White sox would probably offer which would be a 1 year deal.

Thank you.

Pods4455
08-20-2008, 10:12 AM
just my 2 cents....i didnt read the whole thread so im sry if this has already been mentioned... my friend used to play 4 the cubs and lives out in AZ...and was throwing BP to crede the last few days (im sure every1 knows he left for charlotte day b4 yest)... according to my friend he looks awesome and is rotally ready to get back out there... crede said he hasnt been feeling bad at all and hates that he has to go to charlotte bc hes ready to be back in chi.... he told my friend he was looking to spending hopefully only 3-4 days in AAA

turners56
08-20-2008, 10:58 AM
He was taken out yesterday in the middle of the game at AAA, was he injured or was it just precautionary?

sox1970
08-20-2008, 11:15 AM
He was taken out yesterday in the middle of the game at AAA, was he injured or was it just precautionary?

Hopefully it's just easing him back into game shape. Quite frankly, I really don't care if he comes back this year or not. Uribe is playing better than Crede had been this year, and he's done with the Sox after this season either way, so...

08-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Hopefully it's just easing him back into game shape. Quite frankly, I really don't care if he comes back this year or not. Uribe is playing better than Crede had been this year, and he's done with the Sox after this season either way, so...

Joe Crede was an All-Star this season. Uribe could never sustain that for half a season.

turners56
08-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Joe Crede was an All-Star this season. Uribe could never sustain that for half a season.

He really didn't deserve it though...

He did in 06 though.

sox1970
08-20-2008, 11:21 AM

Didn't deserve it, and his defense was borderline awful. Sure he made the occasional diving stop, but he booted so many easy plays and short-armed it to first waaaay too much.

balke
08-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Crede needs to get healthy for the stretch if the Sox need him, and for October for sure. I want his bat back by October.

Uribe has been great defensively, but with Crede back in the lineup, the Sox give themselves more options from the bench and for starting lineups. If he gets healthy and swinging, we can't forget how clutch he can be when he's streaking.

I say take your time, cause the Sox don't need you right now, but definitely get back for the stretch in late September.

Adele_H
08-20-2008, 11:48 AM
I would assume that Uribe gets paid on the same schedule as the rest of the players.

:uribe:

"whena no ge' pay, mother****ers ge' shot"

Didn't deserve it, and his defense was borderline awful. Sure he made the occasional diving stop, but he booted so many easy plays and short-armed it to first waaaay too much.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Uribe also have something like 6 errors in only 20 or so starts at 3B this season? I am not saying Juan hasn't made his share of good plays, but, you know...

I guess we all need to watch some Longoria, Beltre, Zimmerman - or (healthy) Chavez, Rolen for that matter - you know, to remember what good defense at 3B looks like.

Pods4455
08-20-2008, 03:25 PM

my friend texted him and he said he wasn't hurt.

Jimmy Piersall
08-20-2008, 03:49 PM

how long have you and Otis been friends ?

kitekrazy
08-20-2008, 04:05 PM

A player who is can stay on the field is worth a lot more than one that can't.
Uribe is making $4M this year. That's not bad for a utility player.

Adele_H
08-20-2008, 04:31 PM
A player who is can stay on the field is worth a lot more than one that can't.

So you do want the White Sox to pay a glorified Royce Clayton (Cabrera at 34 years old) something along the lines of 3 years, 35 Mill dollars he'll be asking for in all likelyhood?

Adele_H
08-20-2008, 04:34 PM

Be careful what you share here.

got the PM thanks.

kitekrazy
08-20-2008, 05:10 PM
So you do want the White Sox to pay a glorified Royce Clayton (Cabrera at 34 years old) something along the lines of 3 years, 35 Mill dollars he'll be asking for in all likelyhood?

Speculation on your part. So far what is on the field seems to work a lot better. If you lose OC and replace him with Ramirez then you have to shop for 2B, or put Uribe there and rely of Josh can't Fields to play 3rd if Crede goes down.

That's 2 holes you'll need to fill unless you are banking on the health of Crede. It doesn't appear what's on the farm seems impressive or healthy.

When you have to fill 2 holes using the FA market everyone is glorified. It takes a fantasy baseball freak to believe many GMs would be willing to fill those holes in exchange for some of our aging sluggish sluggers thru a trade.

The Sox don't have much to give away in talent without creating more voids so it might as well be money. Unless things have changed there is no salary cap in baseball. Until then you may have to pay someone more than their bluebook value. So far baseball hasn't run out of owners who are willing to do that.

UofCSoxFan
08-20-2008, 05:14 PM

I'm not saying I'd give OC 12 a year over 3, but to compare him to Royce Clayton is absurd.

Pods4455
08-20-2008, 05:19 PM
how long have you and Otis been friends ?

Im not sure i get that.

Pods4455
08-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Be careful what you share here.

got the PM thanks.

haha np. Thought you might enjoy the story.

Adele_H
08-20-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm not saying I'd give OC 12 a year over 3, but to compare him to Royce Clayton is absurd.

Not as absurd as you think. They're both self-centered *******s with vastly overrated gloves and similar offense this year (see Clayton with the Sox). Cabrera's WTP crap is getting old.

Cabrera is more talented and has had a better career, I dont disagree.... but AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME GOING FORWARD, you might as well call him the Choice II.

Orlando is free to disagree with the above assessment by putting up his June # down the stretch and leading the Sox to the World Series title. :D:

EMachine10
08-20-2008, 07:16 PM
He's not in Charlotte's lineup tonight.

sox1970
08-20-2008, 07:24 PM

Not good for him.

As an impact to the Sox season, not so much. :shrug:

kitekrazy
08-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Not as absurd as you think. They're both self-centered *******s with vastly overrated gloves and similar offense this year (see Clayton with the Sox). Cabrera's WTP crap is getting old.

He might be the best option we have while waiting for Crede to be healthy and Josh Fields to learn how to play defense.

I don't have any confidence in either one happening.

RockJock07
08-20-2008, 11:17 PM
I think that one thing I found out during this SEA series is that I would be more than happy if KW tried to trade for Adrian Beltre next season. He's owed $12 mil next season but I think the sox can afford it being that they will not pick up Griffey's option.

I have no faith in Joe Crede but KW knows his players better than anyone, so Crede will probably come back late this season and help the Sox to the playoffs.

Rockabilly
08-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Crede career with the Sox might be over, if he can come back this year it doesn't look that he is already sitting out after what one game..

Adele_H
08-21-2008, 12:10 AM
I think that one thing I found out during this SEA series is that I would be more than happy if KW tried to trade for Adrian Beltre next season. .

That's my guy!

[/terry boers]

Man, when that guy stays on the ball (which isn't often these days), man he's got Carlos Quentin-type talent. And his glove needs no introduction.

The only way it happens, however, is if Sox can get rid of Konerko's salary. And even then, I am not entirely sure Greg Walker can fix Beltre's swing/approach.

ChiSoxGirl
08-21-2008, 12:22 AM

Again?! Damn it. I thought he was supposed to be starting tonight. Any news on him?

Ziggy S
08-21-2008, 01:02 AM
I think it's very likely Crede doesn't play another game at the Major League level. Back problems do not go away. I just thank G-d I've never had them.

Pods4455
08-21-2008, 06:48 AM
I think it's very likely Crede doesn't play another game at the Major League level. Back problems do not go away. I just thank G-d I've never had them.

Agreed. Back pains are chronic, chronic, chronic. Poor Crede- I was really pulling for him!

WhiteSoxBlog
08-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Good news, he's in the lineup again today :redneck

Gigantor3000
08-21-2008, 08:53 PM

Ziggy is correct. Crede is most likely gonna be hobbled by this forever and therefore be unreliable.

Great post Ziggy!

tacosalbarojas
08-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Joe was 0 for 3 tonight. From looking at the box, it appears that Cortes came in late to replace him..

Adele_H
08-22-2008, 12:44 AM
Joe was 0 for 3 tonight. From looking at the box, it appears that Cortes came in late to replace him..

Good.

'Rally Crede' hasn't been the same without the 'Crede' component. As long as the White Sox dugout is wheelchair-accessible, by golly, it can work! :bandance:

Oldfellah
08-22-2008, 11:29 AM

I started out with the same exact problem as Crede... And unfortunately, I've had 4 different operations on the same area in the last 6 years... It will forever haunt him... I was optimistic that he would be better off than me just do to the fact that he could afford better treatment and therapy but it doesn't appear to be so.. It makes me sad that one of my favorite players will not be the same. On the bright side of things,, miracles can happen! I'll be praying for ya Joe!!

all*star quentin
08-22-2008, 11:55 AM
I'll say a pray for you too Joe. Get well soon #24

:praying:

WhiteSoxBlog
08-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Update: 0 for 4 today, took part in 2 assists. :scratch: Lots of flying and popping out. At least there were no strikeouts today. He's been 0 for 9 since he started his assignment. Not a good sign

Foulke You
08-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Update: 0 for 4 today, took part in 2 assists. :scratch: Lots of flying and popping out. At least there were no strikeouts today. He's been 0 for 9 since he started his assignment. Not a good sign
Well, in Joe's defense, he hasn't seen live pitching in some time. It is going to take a little while to get his timing and feel back. Now, if he is hitting this poorly in 7 days, then I might start sharing your concern. I'm not writing off the possibility that the back is still bothering him but let's not make rash judgments based on such a small sample size.

Konerko05
08-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Well, in Joe's defense, he hasn't seen live pitching in some time. It is going to take a little while to get his timing and feel back. Now, if he is hitting this poorly in 7 days, then I might start sharing your concern. I'm not writing off the possibility that the back is still bothering him but let's not make rash judgments based on such a small sample size.

There is no doubt in my mind that his back is still bothering him. Right now everyone (including Joe) is trying to find out if he can manage the pain and be somewhere productive for the rest of the season. This is not a very positive situation for anyone.

WhiteSoxBlog
08-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Sorry, I take back what I said. I agree. What I meant is that it's not a good sign in terms of how soon he'll return. Today is a month since he's been on the DL, so it's understandable that it's taking some time. I was just thinking it means it'll take awhile for him to get back to the Sox.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Hell, I'm just encouraged to see that he played the whole game.

Konerko05
08-24-2008, 01:22 AM
Crede out of the lineup again tonight. There is no way he is coming back. I'm not frustrated with him. I feel bad for him.

gobears1987
08-24-2008, 01:42 AM
It isn't just physical pain in his back that can cause a problem. There is also a huge mental issue with coming back from an injury. Even if you feel 100% healthy, your body may not respond as if you are in that condition.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Crede out of the lineup again tonight. There is no way he is coming back. I'm not frustrated with him. I feel bad for him.

I think it's too early to say he won't be back. A story on the Sox website written yesterday says he's moving forward and they fully expect him to return to the Sox once he starts hitting.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080823&content_id=3355667&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

soxfanreggie
08-24-2008, 11:37 AM
The longer he's out, the more leverage the Sox have. However, I also become more leery I am about re-signing him to anything longer than a one year contract unless we can get in insured against injury.

08-24-2008, 11:47 AM
The longer he's out, the more leverage the Sox have. However, I also become more leery I am about re-signing him to anything longer than a one year contract unless we can get in insured against injury.

Agreed, and actually I'd be leery of signing him to anything. Boras will spin this some how, some way. He'll get Crede a decent deal, likely a 3 year deal, with some other team.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-24-2008, 07:14 PM
He got 2 hits in 4 AB today. Game's in extra innings. He's out of the game now, hopefully just precautionary.

voodoochile
08-24-2008, 08:04 PM
He got 2 hits in 4 AB today. Game's in extra innings. He's out of the game now, hopefully just precautionary.

He's played in 4 or 5 out of the last 6 now and today he finally got a few hits. I expect he'll be back with the big league club shortly.