PDA

View Full Version : FOUR teams for THREE AL PLayoff spots

Fenway
08-16-2008, 11:49 AM
and then there were four.......one will fail

Boston,Tampa Bay, Chicago, Minnesota

I know I am tempting the wrath of the basebhall gods and George Steinbrenner but

THE YANKEES ARE DEAD

http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2008/08/16/alg_esteban-german.jpg

The end of the Yankees came late Friday night when Mariano uncorked a wild pitch allowing the Royals to steal a win.

Rockabilly
08-16-2008, 12:25 PM
i agree the Yankees are DEAD... Couldn't happen to a better team

Fenway
08-16-2008, 12:42 PM

They only have 18 home games left.... they are now 10 1/2 behind the Rays and 7 behind Boston for the wild card.

Good god they are rushing CARL PAVANO back

If everything plays out the way I think it will I hope Joe Torre sends a playoff strip for all games at Dodger Stadium to Hank Steinbrenner.

gregoriop
08-16-2008, 01:28 PM

Uh, what about the Twins? I'd much more like to see them out of it.

Fenway
08-16-2008, 01:29 PM

This 14 game road trip just might bury the Twins. This is when the White Sox have to lock it up.

gogosox16
08-16-2008, 01:30 PM
1 team at a time. I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Twins making the playoffs and knocking out Boston too. Wow would the rating suck if the playoffs had the Sox, Rays, Angels, and Twins

soxfanreggie
08-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Hmmm...Pavano...I thought he was hanging them up. Maybe they'll get something out of him...or he'll pitch 1.2 innings and then head back to the DL for 2 years.

hawkjt
08-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Yanks are losing to the Royals again today. Stick a fork in them.
Boston,Rays,Sox and Twins are playing off for three spots.
Boston has to play the Rays and Yanks a bunch I would assume so the wildcard is in play for the AL Central where the sox and twins only play three more games.
I would not mind the twins,sox,rays and angels going into the playoffs. Angels vs Twins...Angels crush
Sox vs Rays....tough series.

Fenway
08-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Yanks are losing to the Royals again today. Stick a fork in them.
Boston,Rays,Sox and Twins are playing off for three spots.
Boston has to play the Rays and Yanks a bunch I would assume so the wildcard is in play for the AL Central where the sox and twins only play three more games.
I would not mind the twins,sox,rays and angels going into the playoffs. Angels vs Twins...Angels crush
Sox vs Rays....tough series.

You really have to wonder how Hank is going to react if the Yankees finish in third or fourth. Cashman rolled the dice and thought the kids could pitch. Granted they have been destroyed by injuries but Hank has to be thinking Santana in his sleep.

The Yanks could be eliminated before the Stadium closes.

gogosox16
08-16-2008, 02:43 PM
You really have to wonder how Hank is going to react if the Yankees finish in third or fourth. Cashman rolled the dice and thought the kids could pitch. Granted they have been destroyed by injuries but Hank has to be thinking Santana in his sleep.

The Yanks could be eliminated before the Stadium closes.
I would not be surprised at all if Cashman and Girarddi were not back next year because of the ignorance of Hank

hawkjt
08-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Yanks come back just when I bury them. Tie game.
Sox play in NY the last ten days of the season...I want the yanks outta it by then if possible. But eliminating them would be sweettttt.

Frater Perdurabo
08-17-2008, 06:12 PM
I have a feeling that the Sox and Twins will keep pushing each other and that they will pass up the Red Sox and even the Rays. Let's hope the Sox take the division, because then things could go this way:

ALDS I: With home field advantage, Sox beat Rays
ALDS II: Twins upset Angels :tongue:
ALCS: With home field advantage, Sox beat Twins
WS: With home field advantage, Sox beat whoever the (Inter)National League sends.

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 07:18 PM

I'd much rather the Twins made it than either Yankees or Red Cubs.

doublem23
08-17-2008, 07:53 PM
I'd much rather the Twins made it than either Yankees or Red Cubs.

Yeah, I know the Twins burn us in the regular season, but people seem to forget their play-off history.

In two words: They suck.

Optipessimism
08-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I know the Twins burn us in the regular season, but people seem to forget their play-off history.

In two words: They suck.
The Sox have never had the opportunity to roll over for the Twins in a playoff series. They're still dangerous, and I think we match up better against the Red Sox anyway. And I don't want to see the Rays either because they've got young lefties with good change-ups.

But then again, I'd rather face any of those teams than the Angels who are built to embarrass us.

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 10:11 PM
They're still dangerous, and I think we match up better against the Red Sox anyway

Especially based on our dominance of Beckett & Matsuzaka...

Adele_H
08-17-2008, 10:13 PM
But then again, I'd rather face any of those teams than the Angels who are built to embarrass us.

People forget that Postseason is pretty much one giant crapshoot.

If Angels get swept in ALDS, it wouldn't suprise me one bit.

UofCSoxFan
08-17-2008, 10:20 PM
While I like our chances against anyone in the playoffs if we play to our abilities, but compared to the Red Sox, I would welcome the chance to play the Twins.

Could they beat us in a 7 game series? Sure. But unlike some teams, their rotation is set up for the season, not the playoffs. The Twins have 5 above average pitchers (one could argue some are more average than others). Even with Liriano, they do not have a shutdown Ace. In contrast, you look at a team like the Diamondbacks (a likely first round opponent) who have Harren and Webb and no one else. That is one scary team in a 5 game set, however as you have to face those to 3 or possibly 4 times. Throw in a Randy Johsnon, who still can put it together from time to time, that is a team I don't think anyone wants to play in the playoffs.

Let's cross that bridge when we get to it, though. We both have to qualify for the playoffs and we both have to win our first round series as well as two teams from the same division can't meet in the first round (which I think is dumb, but it was put into play to placate the networks who wanted Boston/NYY in the ALCS even if those weren't the two best teams that year.

Optipessimism
08-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Especially based on our dominance of Beckett & Matsuzaka...

I'd rather see the Sox face those guys than Liriano and Slowey. The Sox seem to do better against hard throwers who locate than they do against lefties with above average offspeed stuff and soft tossers.

People forget that Postseason is pretty much one giant crapshoot.

I would disagree with that statement. While anything can theoretically happen, the better teams have the better chance of winning.

The Angels have the ability to manufacture runs. No other team in baseball can do that as well as the Angels, and in low-scoring playoff games featuring dominant pitching, which they have as well, they have to be the favorite over teams that try to win in those situations by the solo home run. If the Angels get swept in the first round - or even lose at all in the first round - it will most likely be because their pitching falls apart, which isn't something I'd bet on.

The Angels can out-slug you, out smallball you, out-defend you, out-pitch you from the rotation, out-pitch you from the bullpen, out-run you on the bases, and their manager can out-smart you. I can't stand that team, but I'll admit the only thing we definitely have over them is the ability to out-slug them, and that's only if their pitching struggles. There is not another playoff contender out there that can beat you in as many different ways as the Angels can. If they lose at all this year it will have to be a major disappointment to their fans and to their front office. They are the best there is in baseball this year.

Adele_H
08-18-2008, 01:14 AM
I'd rather see the Sox face those guys than Liriano and Slowey..

So you'd rather Sox face a bonafied October Legend, Josh Beckett.... who dominated the Sox pretty much with one pitch that he didn't even throw as hard as he will come the playoffs................than Kevin effin' Slowey?

Speechless.

Mohoney
08-18-2008, 03:53 AM
So you'd rather Sox face a bonafied October Legend, Josh Beckett.... who dominated the Sox pretty much with one pitch that he didn't even throw as hard as he will come the playoffs................than Kevin effin' Slowey?

Speechless.

If we were the Wild Card and had to play any one of those teams in the ALCS, I would MUCH rather it be the Red Sox. All the other sideshow crap could go by the wayside and we could just play. With the Twins, there is always that worry about some stupid fluky bull**** happening on turf in that dome in Game 7.

Mohoney
08-18-2008, 03:57 AM

With that bullpen, I would be shocked if they couldn't even win one game. IMO they are, by far, the best team in the majors. I see no reason to consider them as one of those teams that is built for the 162 game season at the expense of being able to win short series.

Fenway
08-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Well now.....

Boston had a nice cushion for the wild card but hello Minnesota and Chicago.

The Boston bullpen right now can not get anybody out and now the Sawx go on their last long road trip of the year visiting Baltimore, Toronto and New York.

This race will be decided by how the teams do on the road. Tampa is now almost at .500, the Twins 5 under and the Sox and Sawx also struggling.

The Red Sox right now look like the odd team out but I still think the Twins 2 week road trip will be their undoing. However Boston's 9 game trip could be a disaster for them as well.

The Yankees while 4 1/2 behind in the WC have to catch 3 teams and first catch Boston as being third does them no good.

The Rays injury situation is dire and losing Percival may be their undoing but I am not convinced Boston can get past them.

This may well go to the final weekend with everybody still alive but with 6 weeks to go the playoffs have started. Every game is critical now for the 4 teams ( and the Yankees are going to have a lot to say on how this plays out )

But when the dust clears baseball fans west of the Hudson maybe happy campers as Boston and NYY both fail to make it.

MarySwiss
08-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Well now.....

Boston had a nice cushion for the wild card but hello Minnesota and Chicago.

The Boston bullpen right now can not get anybody out and now the Sawx go on their last long road trip of the year visiting Baltimore, Toronto and New York.

This race will be decided by how the teams do on the road. Tampa is now almost at .500, the Twins 5 under and the Sox and Sawx also struggling.

The Red Sox right now look like the odd team out but I still think the Twins 2 week road trip will be their undoing. However Boston's 9 game trip could be a disaster for them as well.

The Yankees while 4 1/2 behind in the WC have to catch 3 teams and first catch Boston as being third does them no good.

The Rays injury situation is dire and losing Percival may be their undoing but I am not convinced Boston can get past them.

This may well go to the final weekend with everybody still alive but with 6 weeks to go the playoffs have started. Every game is critical now for the 4 teams ( and the Yankees are going to have a lot to say on how this plays out )

But when the dust clears baseball fans west of the Hudson maybe happy campers as Boston and NYY both fail to make it.

But Fens, in that case, wouldn't MLB simply cancel the playoffs due to lack of interest? :tongue:

Lukin13
08-18-2008, 09:23 AM
A hair under 25% of the regular season is remaining.

Tons of time left!

Fenway
08-18-2008, 09:46 AM
But Fens, in that case, wouldn't MLB simply cancel the playoffs due to lack of interest? :tongue:

No MLB and ESPN will simply stage the Peter Gammons Cup between Boston and the Yankees to run the entire month of October with Chris Berman doing play by play.

soxpride724
08-18-2008, 09:48 AM
As much as I used to dislike the Yankees, I now cannot stand the Red Sox and would love nothing more than for the Yankees to overtake the Sawx for the WC.

Save McCuddy's
08-18-2008, 10:03 AM
This is a huge week coming up as Boston goes to Baltimore, Toronto and the Bronx for its next nine while we get Sea, Tam and go to Baltimore for 4. Can we go 7-3 with the Sawks taking 4 out of 9? If so, we'd go to Fenway up on them in the WC chase.

Rockabilly
08-18-2008, 10:22 AM
if the Red Sox and Yanks didn't make the post season.. ESPN will be kissing the Cubs ass all through the playoffs..

Fenway
08-18-2008, 10:33 AM
This is a huge week coming up as Boston goes to Baltimore, Toronto and the Bronx for its next nine while we get Sea, Tam and go to Baltimore for 4. Can we go 7-3 with the Sawks taking 4 out of 9? If so, we'd go to Fenway up on them in the WC chase.

4-5 is what I am thinking.

Labor Day weekend looms large for both clubs.

Boston has one slight advantage playing the last week at home with FOUR with Cleveland and 3 with NYY.

The scoreboard watching has begun.

CHISOXFAN13
08-18-2008, 10:35 AM
4-5 is what I am thinking.

Labor Day weekend looms large for both clubs.

Boston has one slight advantage playing the last week at home with FOUR with Cleveland and 3 with NYY.

The scoreboard watching has begun.

Four with Cleveland and you probably face Lee. That's a loss. And the Indians have been playing much better ball since the Sabathia deal. That's not a cake walk at all.

Fenway
08-18-2008, 11:13 AM
FOX is praying that the Dodgers and Cubs win in the NLDS. Cubs vs Manny on over the air TV will generate huge ratings.

Hopefully baseball will learn that having one league over the air and the other cable only is insanity. TBS is looking at a ratings disaster if both NY and Boston are out. Anaheim has awful TV numbers in SoCal, and the Twins and White Sox have little drawing power outside the home market. Tampa has no following at all.

If both the Cubs and White Sox make the LCS the Cubs might outdraw the Sox on TV in Chicago by a 3-1 ratio simply because the games are on 32 and not cable only. WFLD would promote it like crazy and no local outlet will promote TBS.

Like it or not the Cubs are the story of the post-season. The whole 100 year saga is the national hook for the casual fan.

From a TV producer standpoint I would love to see the crowd shots at Wrigley as the White Sox win the series at 1060 W Addison. I am not sure Cubdom could ever recover from that.

UofCSoxFan
08-18-2008, 11:43 AM
From a TV producer standpoint I would love to see the crowd shots at Wrigley as the White Sox win the series at 1060 W Addison. I am not sure Cubdom could ever recover from that.

I've talked to some of my Cub fan friends about this....I think it's their worst nightmare.

Fenway
08-18-2008, 11:58 AM
I've talked to some of my Cub fan friends about this....I think it's their worst nightmare.

I suspect that most of you as much as you would like to win the Series at USCF, the idea of doing it at Wrigley must make the mouth water.

shes
08-18-2008, 02:54 PM
I suspect that most of you as much as you would like to win the Series at USCF, the idea of doing it at Wrigley must make the mouth water.

I have a feeling that if that happens the amount of drunken violence will be extraordinary.

MarySwiss
08-18-2008, 06:41 PM
I have a feeling that if that happens the amount of drunken violence will be extraordinary.

I have no doubt that's true. I mean, can you imagine? Those Cubs fans would go completely bananas. Not bad enough losing the World Series, but losing it at the Shrine? To the (shudder!) White Sox?

The mind boggles. :o:

cws05champ
08-18-2008, 07:09 PM
I have no doubt that's true. I mean, can you imagine? Those Cubs fans would go completely bananas. Not bad enough losing the World Series, but losing it at the Shrine? To the (shudder!) White Sox?

The mind boggles. :o:

Although it would be great to actually beat the Cubs in the World series I would rather do it on the Southside.
In some respects I would feel bad for some of the Cubs fans at Wrigley because the one's that would actually be at a World Series would be the die hard season ticket holders or corporate schmucks, not the Chad and Trixies that would normally populate the game IMO. I remember at game one of the 2005 series, I didn't want to drink a beer because i didn't want to cloud my memory of it and have to wait in ginormous lines at the bathroom.
Now the *******s that would be outside the stadium would be another story. I'm sure there would be a lot of violence outside and around the shrine.

TommyJohn
08-18-2008, 10:30 PM

No, but ESPN would have a difficult time. They'll have to come up with a lot more Tom Brady and Brett Favre filler.

ma-gaga
08-19-2008, 10:45 AM
You know. I hate to admit this, but I think the Twins are not going to make it. They are running on fumes. The Bullpen has given up leads all year and without making any moves the bullpen is going to lose games for them. They have a couple of kids in AAA that could step in and give a better performance than Bass/Bonser, but I'm not sure if they'll make the moves (simply Bass for Korecky would be an immediate upgrade).

The local media made statements about the kid pitching staff running out of steam and approaching their maximum innings. ... Now I checked the numbers, and typical AM radio garbage 'analysis', they were pretty misleading.

Baker, Blackburn and Slowey all pitched a decent number of innings last year and still have 40+ innings before they hit their upper tiers. Perkins and Liriano were hurt last year, and yeah I agree, those two they need to watch the arms on. But the problem for the Twins is; They have no fallback plan. There isn't anyone in AAA or AA that can step in and take over if someone gets hurt. And I simply think the 'Law of Averages' is going to take out one of the starters to some fluke injury and that will be the end of it (unless somehow super Boof can turn into a MLB starter).

But unless the Twins get some bullpen help, I think they are going to drop a couple of games here and fall too far behind. :(:

But I'm sure you all are heartbroken. :cool:

CHISOXFAN13
08-19-2008, 10:55 AM
You know. I hate to admit this, but I think the Twins are not going to make it. They are running on fumes. The Bullpen has given up leads all year and without making any moves the bullpen is going to lose games for them. They have a couple of kids in AAA that could step in and give a better performance than Bass/Bonser, but I'm not sure if they'll make the moves (simply Bass for Korecky would be an immediate upgrade).

The local media made statements about the kid pitching staff running out of steam and approaching their maximum innings. ... Now I checked the numbers, and typical AM radio garbage 'analysis', they were pretty misleading.

Baker, Blackburn and Slowey all pitched a decent number of innings last year and still have 40+ innings before they hit their upper tiers. Perkins and Liriano were hurt last year, and yeah I agree, those two they need to watch the arms on. But the problem for the Twins is; They have no fallback plan. There isn't anyone in AAA or AA that can step in and take over if someone gets hurt. And I simply think the 'Law of Averages' is going to take out one of the starters to some fluke injury and that will be the end of it (unless somehow super Boof can turn into a MLB starter).

But unless the Twins get some bullpen help, I think they are going to drop a couple of games here and fall too far behind. :(:

But I'm sure you all are heartbroken. :cool:

I'd personally rather the Twins win the wild card than the BoSox. But if your theory proves to be true, I wouldn't lose sleep about it.

PaleHoser
08-19-2008, 03:02 PM

I'd give a year of my life to witness that. But it will never happen because the Cubs would have to win a pennant first.

Fenway
08-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Boston fans wil be rooting for the White Sox and Anaheim this weekend and also hope that Boston can win 2 in Toronto.

I think the magic number for Wild Card is 92 wins.

It really comes down to the teams that play the best on the road as all 4 teams have excellent home records.

I still think NYY is out of this but they will have a big say in who else joins them for early tee times.

The Twins play 24 of next 30 on the road. I don't think they can overcome that.

Zisk77
08-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Boston fans wil be rooting for the White Sox and Anaheim this weekend and also hope that Boston can win 2 in Toronto.

I think the magic number for Wild Card is 92 wins.

It really comes down to the teams that play the best on the road as all 4 teams have excellent home records.

I still think NYY is out of this but they will have a big say in who else joins them for early tee times.

The Twins play 24 of next 30 on the road. I don't think they can overcome that.

i hope your right because i feel prett certain we'll win at least 92 games. But, lets win the division and pass the rays for the second best al record.

Fenway
08-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Yankees getting shelled in Toronto Thursday night and they just announced CARL PAVANO will start on Saturday.

It really comes down now to how the Twins do on the road with 24 of the next 30 away from Twinkiedome. They need 15 wins to stay afloat and that might be asking too much.

Tampa so far has not been slowed down by their injuries and they still have a 5 game lead in loss column.

Boston's bullpen is a mess and they are not a lock either.

This will be a month to remember.

TwinKess
08-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Well, we got our first win out of those 15 last night! W00t

The sad thing is that if both Boston and the Yankees miss the playoffs, the Fox Sports montage before the ALCS will be all about them and missed-opportunities or some crap like that.

Fenway
08-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Hmmmmm

Anaheim has not had a good week and there are getting creamed by the Twins.

Tampa is suddenly winning on the road.

Boston had no choice but to exile Buchholz as the team went 3-12 in games he started. The worst thing to happen to him was pitching a no hitter in his second start. He is the main reason they trail Tampa by 5 in the loss column. So far their road trip has gone well winning 3 of 4 with 2 more in Toronto and 3 in The Bronx.

Boston has a chance to bury NYY next week. But NYY also can play themselves back into the WC picture.

Madscout
08-22-2008, 11:50 PM
ESPN tonight..."Three big market teams on verge of making the playoffs, Yanks, Sawks, and Sox, and we will update you on them" and then they go on to talk about all but one.

Fenway
08-25-2008, 10:58 AM
This is going to be a huge week for all the teams.

Twins on the road but should feast on Seattle and Oakland and the White Sox hit Baltimore and Fenway. On paper the schedule favors Boston as they still have 20 at home and so far they are having a good road trip overall.

Boston goes to The Bronx for 3 and this is the Yankees last stand. They are 5 back in the WC which is really their only hope for October. The Yankees need to sweep and with Boston's pitching in tatters could happen.

Tampa has not been slowed down by their injuries and I doubt Boston can catch them.

This will be a fun week.

Fenway
08-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Yankees now on life support as the loss tonight puts them 6 behind Boston for the WC

Boston closes to 3 1/2 on Tampa and they now assured a winning record on this 9 game trip and they have 20 left at home.

The schedule is whacky for everybody but it all evens out in the end but now I think Boston will catch Tampa but the Rays will hold on for the WC. Boston having more home games than anyone will make the difference.

Mohoney
08-27-2008, 05:01 AM
Yankees now on life support as the loss tonight puts them 6 behind Boston for the WC

The Yankees are dead. Even a 22-9 mark from now until the end puts them at only 92-70, and I don't see Tampa Bay winning only 12 games from here on out.

I think it is now 3 teams fighting for 2 playoff spots, as I feel that Tampa Bay's ticket is punched.

Iwritecode
08-27-2008, 10:53 AM
The schedule is whacky for everybody but it all evens out in the end but now I think Boston will catch Tampa but the Rays will hold on for the WC. Boston having more home games than anyone will make the difference.

That's not a biased opinion at all...

:cool:

Fenway
08-27-2008, 11:14 AM
That's not a biased opinion at all...

:cool:

Actually I am being objective. I said here a week ago that Boston had to have a good road trip and they have delivered so far winning 5 of 7 with 2 to go. After tomorrow they have only 9 road games left -
3 in Tampa, 3 in Texas and 3 in Toronto and 20 at home.

Just playing .500 puts them at 91 wins and given their track record at home they most likely will finish with 94 or 95. Tampa has 17 on the road and that could make the difference in the East. twins have 12 left at home and the White Sox have 13.

The WC is coming out of the East and I think the Twins will be the odd team out. The 2 losses in Seattle really have hurt them.

chitown13
08-27-2008, 11:29 AM
The WC is coming out of the East and I think the Twins will be the odd team out. The 2 losses in Seattle really have hurt them.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. JD Drew being put on the shelf for a week won't help Boston's cause either. Their is still plenty of games left and one bad series can make a huge different. Just as you mentioned the Twinkies against Seattle. They could easily go and win today and sweep Oakland for 4 and the SOX can lose 3 in a row. Its way too early still to make comments like that. There is no guarantee that the Wild Card is coming out of the East. As a matter of fact, I would be shocked if it does.

Fenway
08-27-2008, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't be so sure of that. JD Drew being put on the shelf for a week won't help Boston's cause either. Their is still plenty of games left and one bad series can make a huge different. Just as you mentioned the Twinkies against Seattle. They could easily go and win today and sweep Oakland for 4 and the SOX can lose 3 in a row. Its way too early still to make comments like that. There is no guarantee that the Wild Card is coming out of the East. As a matter of fact, I would be shocked if it does.

I think Boston having more home games will seal the deal as they have the best home record in all of baseball.

LAA should wind up with best record and they are praying Tampa is not the WC as the Rays owned them this year.

It will be close but the schedule does favor the Red Sox.

Madvora
08-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I just looked this up. Since the wildcard was created, the Yankees and/or Red Sox have always been in the playoffs. The last time neither of them made it was 1993 when the Sox played the Blue Jays.

I hope we can put an end to this already.

Fenway
08-27-2008, 09:48 PM
I just looked this up. Since the wildcard was created, the Yankees and/or Red Sox have always been in the playoffs. The last time neither of them made it was 1993 when the Sox played the Blue Jays.

I hope we can put an end to this already.

You should have added that NYY has been in the playoffs every year since the Wild Card.

Tonight was their swan song and they have been given last rights.

The White Sox have a good chance of being the team that eliminates them officially.

LoveYourSuit
08-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Yankees are done.

Red Sox, TB, & White Sox are surviving nicely with some injury issues since the allstar break. The Twins are the only healthy one of the bunch.

Becuase of what IMO was a failed trip into Baltimore by splitting the 4 decisions, the White Sox are making it hard on themselves to put the Twins away sooner rather than later when that Dome series gets closer and closer.

Fenway
08-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Yankees are done.

Red Sox, TB, & White Sox are surviving nicely with some injury issues since the allstar break. The Twins are the only healthy one of the bunch.

Becuase of what IMO was a failed trip into Baltimore by splitting the 4 decisions, the White Sox are making it hard on themselves to put the Twins away sooner rather than later when that Dome series gets closer and closer.

Losing the makeup game hurt but at least you split in Baltimore.

Now you go to Fenway and may the best Sox win. At least I know the Sox will all 3 :tongue:

We all going to be doing a lot of scoreboard watching now and for the first time in memory nobody will be watching NYY on the scoreboard.

CHISOXFAN13
08-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Yankees are done.

The Sox gained ground on the Twins playing a much tougher opponent than they were.

I'm not thrilled, but it beats the alternative. The Twins were lucky to steal one at a potential 100-loss foe.

Fenway
08-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Sunday now becomes the biggest game of the White Sox season as the Pale Hose can not afford to let Boston get 4 games ahead in the Wild Card. A Chicago win Sunday would have them 2 back.

Boston thanks to earlier rainouts just has too many home games left (18) and somehow they are not letting the injuries slow them down.

I think the Red Sox now know that catching Tampa may not be possible and are really focused on the Wild Card fallback.

Pedroia is making a nice statement for MVP.

So come on White Sox just win the Central and make the Twins the odd team out.

Whitesoxfan23
08-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Quentin deserves MVP much more than Pedroria.

Mohoney
08-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Sunday now becomes the biggest game of the White Sox season as the Pale Hose can not afford to let Boston get 4 games ahead in the Wild Card. A Chicago win Sunday would have them 2 back.

Boston thanks to earlier rainouts just has too many home games left (18) and somehow they are not letting the injuries slow them down.

I think the Red Sox now know that catching Tampa may not be possible and are really focused on the Wild Card fallback.

Pedroia is making a nice statement for MVP.

So come on White Sox just win the Central and make the Twins the odd team out.

If the Red Sox distance themselves another game from the AL Central teams next week, I'll consider the Wild Card a done deal, or if they just hold the 3 game lead for 2 weeks, I'll call it done as well.

Both teams really need that game tomorrow. I'm glad that Floyd is on the mound. That game he pitched in the Metrodome was fantastic, and I hope he can do the same tomorrow.

Fenway
08-30-2008, 10:39 PM
If the Red Sox distance themselves another game from the AL Central teams next week, I'll consider the Wild Card a done deal, or if they just hold the 3 game lead for 2 weeks, I'll call it done as well.

Both teams really need that game tomorrow. I'm glad that Floyd is on the mound. That game he pitched in the Metrodome was fantastic, and I hope he can do the same tomorrow.

If Tampa wins the East it may be ranked as the greatest surprise in MLB history. Other teams have gone from last to first but never were as payroll challenged as the Rays are.

Tampa ownership is starting to complain about the continued small crowds at The Trop and for the first time are floating the possiblty of buying out the lease and moving. The team would certainly draw better 20 miles to the east in Tampa itself and would also make it an easier drive from Orlando and Lakeland.

Ownership has looked at a new stadium in St Pete but that doesn't solve the Tampa problem as people on that side of the bay just will not drive to Pinellas County and Tampa is where the money is.

sox1970
08-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Red Sox have nothing to worry about.

It's down to the Central.

Fenway
08-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Red Sox have nothing to worry about.

It's down to the Central.

Until the magic number is zero you always worry.

Sunday is huge for both teams no doubt but perhaps more so for the White Sox. The harsh reality is both the Twins and Boston play the final week at home. The White Sox also have to face the Yankees in The Stadium's last homestand which will be a total circus.

I want both Sox teams in the playoffs so I have mixed emotions about Sunday.

PKalltheway
08-31-2008, 05:38 PM
Quentin deserves MVP much more than Pedroria.
Agreed.

I honestly can't see the Wild Card coming out of the Central this year. It's Boston's to lose. With that being said, I am very confident that the Sox can take the AL Central.

turners56
08-31-2008, 05:57 PM
I don't know how you can call Pedroia an MVP. I'll be surprised if he's in the top 5 in MVP voting. Youkilis has been MUCH better. That said, you can't win the league MVP if you're not even the MVP of your own team.

chaerulez
08-31-2008, 11:40 PM
I don't know how you can call Pedroia an MVP. I'll be surprised if he's in the top 5 in MVP voting. Youkilis has been MUCH better. That said, you can't win the league MVP if you're not even the MVP of your own team.

Youkilis is the better bat in the lineup, I guess Pedroia gets the attention because he's a scrappy grinder type guy.

A. Cavatica
09-02-2008, 09:39 PM
TWO teams for ONE AL Playoff spot

We really need veterans like Buehrle, Vazquez, Konerko, and Griffey to step up.

Fenway
09-02-2008, 09:49 PM
TWO teams for ONE AL Playoff spot

We really need veterans like Buehrle, Vazquez, Konerko, and Griffey to step up.

First time in my lifetime that fans at Fenway cheering the Yankees score.

But ya Boston has a nice grip on the WC now so it may be division or bust for the White Sox.

CHISOXFAN13
09-02-2008, 09:53 PM
First time in my lifetime that fans at Fenway cheering the Yankees score.

But ya Boston has a nice grip on the WC now so it may be division or bust for the White Sox.

Thanks for the update, McCarver.

getonbckthr
09-02-2008, 09:55 PM
My MVP top 5:
1) Quentin
2) K-Rod
3) Dye
4) Hamilton
5) Mauer/Morneau

Fenway
09-03-2008, 07:36 PM
OK the universe is about to explode.

I am in a Boston sports bar and Red Sox fans are cheering the Yankees who are leading Tampa.

If the Rays lose their lead is cut to 3 in the East.

chisoxfanatic
09-03-2008, 08:22 PM
OK the universe is about to explode.

I am in a Boston sports bar and Red Sox fans are cheering the Yankees who are leading Tampa.

If the Rays lose their lead is cut to 3 in the East.
I am too! I need a save in my fantasy league from Rivera. :tongue:

Fenway
09-03-2008, 09:33 PM
I am too! I need a save in my fantasy league from Rivera. :tongue:

Forget the save opportunity. In what might be the first use of replay ARod homer stands... Skunks lead 8-3 in 9th.

Crew chief looked at monitor and said call was correct.

Fenway
09-03-2008, 10:35 PM
You got to love the spin the Yankees radio crew is spitting out crowing how they are only 2 behind the Twins for the wild card.

Talk about spreading false hope because they are still THIRD in the East and 7 behind Boston but Sterling and Dame Edna overlook that reality.

Boston did take advantage of their extra home games winning 5 of 6 and now have a comfortable lead of 5 for the WC. But Boston wants the division so they can duck Anaheim and take their chances with the Central winner.

Funny thing is Anaheim doesn't want to see Tampa in the first round as the Rays have owned them all year.

Billy Ashley
09-03-2008, 10:36 PM
My MVP top 5:
1) Quentin
2) K-Rod
3) Dye
4) Hamilton
5) Mauer/Morneau

1) Sizemore
2) A-Rod
3) Pedrioa
4) Quentin
5) Youkilis

Defense matters too. Pedrioa is an above average defensive second basemen while also a damn solid hitter. That's slightly more valuable than a slugging left fielder with below average defensive skills.

I think it'll come down to Pedrioa and Quentin due to the fact that the best player in the league is not going to sniff the post season and my prior favorite got hurt (Kinsler).

Pedrioa is playing out of his mind right now and should slow down, so Quentin has a very good chance of leaping over him. However, gun to my head: I'd rather have Pedrioa by a small margin.

I'd also rather have four or five other closers before K-Rod this year. He's been good, but this is one of his least impressive seasons. I hope the voters can see past the arbitrary and stupid save stat.

* Not to get to side tracked but I'd argue that Nathan, Papelbon, Jenks Soria, Jenks and Rivera have all been better this season; K-Rod had racked up a ton of saves but they mean almost next to nothing.

chisoxfanatic
09-03-2008, 10:45 PM
You got to love the spin the Yankees radio crew is spitting out crowing how they are only 2 behind the Twins for the wild card.

Talk about spreading false hope because they are still THIRD in the East and 7 behind Boston but Sterling and Dame Edna overlook that reality.

Boston did take advantage of their extra home games winning 5 of 6 and now have a comfortable lead of 5 for the WC. But Boston wants the division so they can duck Anaheim and take their chances with the Central winner.

Funny thing is Anaheim doesn't want to see Tampa in the first round as the Rays have owned them all year.
I'm not discounting Tampa here; but, I really think if it were Sox/Tampa and LAA/Carmines, we'd see an '05 ALCS rematch.

Billy Ashley
09-03-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm not discounting Tampa here; but, I really think if it were Sox/Tampa and LAA/Carmines, we'd see an '05 ALCS rematch.

We can't see that. Two division rivals can't play each other in the ALDS...

The White Sox kind of get the shaft in that they'll either have to face the Angels or Rays instead of the banged up Red Sox. Right now, with the uncertainty surrounding Beckett and Lester at so many innings, Boston looks weaker than they should.

Edit: My bad- would you believe I actually did well on the reading comprehension part of the SAT... not so much here.

sox1970
09-03-2008, 10:55 PM
We can't see that. Two division rivals can't play each other in the ALDS...

The White Sox kind of get the shaft in that they'll either have to face the Angels or Rays instead of the banged up Red Sox. Right now, with the uncertainty surrounding Beckett and Lester at so many innings, Boston looks weaker than they should.

She said Sox/Rays, Red Sox/Angels. She got it right.

Billy Ashley
09-03-2008, 11:00 PM
She said Sox/Rays, Red Sox/Angels. She got it right.

Somebodies got dyslexia. She very well could be correct. Though I don't like the White Sox chances versus the Rays nearly as much as I like the Angels against the banged up Red Sox.

Fenway
09-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Pedrioa in ths past homestand has reminded people of Yaz in 1967. Jenks literally was the only one that fooled him and I give Ozzie credit for pitching to him on Sunday in the 9th.

I would like to see the save rule tweaked where a pitcher gets more credit for a 1 run save than a 2 or 3 run one. the formula would be open for debate but over the season would be fairer than the present system.

1) Sizemore
2) A-Rod
3) Pedrioa
4) Quentin
5) Youkilis

Defense matters too. Pedrioa is an above average defensive second basemen while also a damn solid hitter. That's slightly more valuable than a slugging left fielder with below average defensive skills.

I think it'll come down to Pedrioa and Quentin due to the fact that the best player in the league is not going to sniff the post season and my prior favorite got hurt (Kinsler).

Pedrioa is playing out of his mind right now and should slow down, so Quentin has a very good chance of leaping over him. However, gun to my head: I'd rather have Pedrioa by a small margin.

I'd also rather have four or five other closers before K-Rod this year. He's been good, but this is one of his least impressive seasons. I hope the voters can see past the arbitrary and stupid save stat.

* Not to get to side tracked but I'd argue that Nathan, Papelbon, Jenks Soria, Jenks and Rivera have all been better this season; K-Rod had racked up a ton of saves but they mean almost next to nothing.

Billy Ashley
09-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Pedrioa in ths past homestand has reminded people of Yaz in 1967. Jenks literally was the only one that fooled him and I give Ozzie credit for pitching to him on Sunday in the 9th.

I would like to see the save rule tweaked where a pitcher gets more credit for a 1 run save than a 2 or 3 run one. the formula would be open for debate but over the season would be fairer than the present system.

Yaz brought the Red Sox back to life in 67, Pedrioa may have just sealed the deal on the wild card this year.

Regardless. He's not as good as Sizemore, and neither is anyone else in the American league not sleeping with Madonna, the fact that he's been so good and the Indians have been so below average is pretty hilarious.

I don't care what they do with saves. I understand it's part of baseball today, but really in the long run over a season the difference between a Soria, Rivera, Papelbon or Jenks is worth maybe 1 win more than just another guy. I can see the argument in that they're worth a ton in the post season when managers actually use them in the 6th and 7th innings during high leverage spots but is it worth paying a guy over ten million a year just to have in case you make the post season?

Mohoney
09-04-2008, 02:04 AM

It boggles the mind that they would even bring this up, considering that the Yankees don't play the Twins again. Even if the Yankees did still have a series with the Twins, the comment doesn't make much sense, but with NO games head-to-head with the Twins, it sounds even more stupid.

Fenway
09-04-2008, 09:03 AM
It boggles the mind that they would even bring this up, considering that the Yankees don't play the Twins again. Even if the Yankees did still have a series with the Twins, the comment doesn't make much sense, but with NO games head-to-head with the Twins, it sounds even more stupid.

Such is the nonsense of Yankees radio. Those 2 make Hawk and Santo sound objective.

I think the White Sox need to go 9-4 at home and MUST go 5-5 on that last road trip and that would put them at 92 wins. The games at Yankee Stadium loom large as by then the Yankees will be playing for pride in The Stadium's final week.

Can Boston catch Tampa? Maybe as they have 6 left with the Rays.
that series stands at 6-6 with the home team winning every game.

Foulke You
09-04-2008, 05:40 PM
After watching our offense wilt against Dice-K in two starts this year, I want no part of the Red Sox in a short 5 game series where we'd likely face Dice K twice. Plus, the Red Sox seem to be peaking at the right time and have a lot of playoff tested players on their roster. I'd take my chances with the inexperienced Rays in a 5 game series or even the Angels who likely would use Lackey twice who we've hit decently in the past. The Angels are also a team that basically wrapped this thing up in August and have been cruising since. Some teams can't turn the "switch" on and start playing with the intensity needed to win in October. I'm not saying this will happen but it is a factor to consider.