PDA

View Full Version : Any News On Joe Crede?

tick53
08-16-2008, 11:03 AM
I've been working my buns off all summer and today is the first time that I have even logged on to WSI in three weeks. Working, playing in the band, and watching the games is all I have time for, so my question is, what's the news on Joe's rehab situation. I can't recall Hawk and DJ mentioning it during games. Any news?

TornLabrum
08-16-2008, 11:06 AM
http://palehose8.blogspot.com/

tick53
08-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the great laugh. I really needed that. :D:

Sockinchisox
08-16-2008, 12:59 PM
I read on Wednesday or Thursday that he was feeling better and was going to start playing at Charlotte this weekend. He didn't play yesterday though.

Rockabilly
08-16-2008, 01:28 PM
I think Crede is looking more towards his future and not this year with the Sox...

im getting so tired of his back problems... We need a quality 3B going into next season.. I have my fingers crossed that Beckham is ready..

JGarlandrules20
08-16-2008, 01:31 PM
im getting so tired of his back problems... We need a quality 3B going into next season.. I have my fingers crossed that Beckham is ready..

Are you serious? I think it's safe to say Beckham won't be ready by next season....

Rockabilly
08-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Are you serious? I think it's safe to say Beckham won't be ready by next season....

I know he wont be ready next season.

soltrain21
08-16-2008, 01:39 PM
I know he wont be ready next season.

So why did you say you have your fingers crossed that he will be? :scratch:

Rockabilly
08-16-2008, 01:46 PM
So why did you say you have your fingers crossed that he will be? :scratch:

Because right now I don't see anyone else, that can play 3rd base for us next year...

plus i was half kidding...

who the hell knows he might be ready after the all -star break to take over 3rd base.. I have watched alot of Georgia games and got to meet Gordon , since my brother goes to school there... Beckham is going to be solid many years for us..

California Sox
08-16-2008, 01:49 PM
I think Crede is looking more towards his future and not this year with the Sox...

Why has this board become so enamored with the idea that Beckham is going to play third?! He's a shortstop. Worst case scenario he plays second. He's a similar player (hopefully) to Michael Young. At short or second, that's an all star. At third, that's a slightly above average player. The rule of thumb is you keep a player at the more difficult position until he proves he can't do it.

Also, I know everyone hates Fields now, but Fields > Getz.

Rockabilly
08-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Why has this board become so enamored with the idea that Beckham is going to play third?! He's a shortstop. Worst case scenario he plays second. He's a similar player (hopefully) to Michael Young. At short or second, that's an all star. At third, that's a slightly above average player. The rule of thumb is you keep a player at the more difficult position until he proves he can't do it.

Also, I know everyone hates Fields now, but Fields > Getz.

because Alexei will be playing SS for many years with the Sox and Getz will probably be playing 2B...

I'm a Fields fan and had many fights on this board sticking up for him, but right now he is a huge failure..

EMachine10
08-16-2008, 02:20 PM
because Alexei will be playing SS for many years with the Sox and Getz will probably be playing 2B...

I'm a Fields fan and had many fights on this board sticking up for him, but right now he is a huge failure..

I could see Getz at third with Beckham/Ramirez at SS/2B.

white sox bill
08-16-2008, 02:31 PM
So our around the horn triple play for 2009: Beckham to Rameriz to Getz to Swisher

gogosox16
08-16-2008, 02:45 PM
I could see Getz at third with Beckham/Ramirez at SS/2B.
Getz, I believe doesnt have a strong enough arm to play 3rd

JB98
08-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Am I the only one who sees Getz having a nice career as a utility player? It seems that's the role the Sox have been grooming him for.....

palehozenychicty
08-16-2008, 03:28 PM
I don't think Beckham will be ready until '10 at the earliest. As for Crede, anything from him is a bonus. After April and the Cubs series at Cellular, he was barely a factor this season.

Chez
08-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Am I the only one who sees Getz having a nice career as a utility player? It seems that's the role the Sox have been grooming him for.....

Agreed. He's Aaron Miles version 2.0.

Adele_H
08-16-2008, 08:02 PM

Whoa, that Palehose8 guy Carl must be a Dark Cloud of monumental proportions.:o:

Put some color in the graphics at least, Mr. Self-Loathing Wannabe Cubs Fan Mentally Unstable Misanthrope, you. :angry:

:tongue:

34 Inch Stick
08-17-2008, 01:52 AM
Agreed. He's Aaron Miles version 2.0.

I was thinking more along the lines of The Little Hurt, Craig Grebek.

South Side Irish
08-17-2008, 02:00 AM

Dude's been banged up this year, and I think we can give him a little slack for one bad year. Let's see how he responds next year before calling him a failure. If he can project his '07 stats (power numbers) over a full year, those numbers can make up for below-average/average defense. I'll take a 35 HR, 110 RBI guy in the 7 or 8 spot in the order.

South Side Irish
08-17-2008, 02:03 AM
Oh yes, Joe Crede!

I heard, tick, Chris Ronge (sp) say on the pre-game show that he's sloooowly working through re-hab, and speculated that he's more concerned with making himself healthy so he's a more attractive Free Agent this off season. Therefore, he's not really worried about helping the Sox, but himself.

I found this kind of speculation odd, and would think that a guy who was a part of the last WS champs would like to help repeat it.

gobears1987
08-17-2008, 02:06 AM
I found this kind of speculation odd, and would think that a guy who was a part of the last WS champs would like to help repeat it.
I wouldn't expect any type of winning attitude from any athlete who selects Scott Bora$$ as his agent. I bet Rongey is right here. If Crede cared about winning he would have done what the Danks brothers did and dumped the slime ball. I am perfectly fine with letting Crede walk so long as he is represented by the man who is destroying baseball. **** Bora$$ and **** his clients. Crede has made a clear decision to sleep with the devil. It tells you something when Manny is the only major client he picked up last year. I would love it if Crede wised up and dumped Bora$$. Then we could re-sign a player who has his priorities straight. However, I don't think he will.

Optipessimism
08-17-2008, 08:41 AM
I wouldn't expect any time of winning attitude from any athlete who selects Scott Bora$$ as his agent. I bet Rongey is right here. If Crede cared about winning he would have done what the Danks brothers did and dumped the slime ball. I am perfectly fine with letting Crede walk so long as he is represented by the man who is destroying baseball. **** Bora$$ and **** his clients. Crede has made a clear decision to sleep with the devil. It tells you something when Manny is the only major client he picked up last year. I would love it if Crede wised up and dumped Bora$$. Then we could re-sign a player who has his priorities straight. However, I don't think he will.
I forgot what it was, but Ozzie had a quote a few days ago I think that sounded like a dig at Crede. I think he said something along the lines of having to check with a player's agent to see if that player is allowed to pitch. He said it as a joke, but then followed it up with another comment insinuating that agents these days have way too much power over players.

It could be nothing, but I found it odd that Ozzie would say that. Off the top of my head, I couldn't think of an agent for any player on the team that might present a conflict other than Boras, who I believe only represents Joe as far as the team goes.

If there's any truth to this speculation, and there very well could be since Boras is such a slimeball, then I hope Joe re-injures his back, sits out the rest of the year, denies arbitration so the Sox get a draft pick, and then finds himself signing a $2mil 1-year contract with performance and health-based incentives. I hope this isn't the case, but if it is then **** Joe Crede. KW tried extending him when he was hurt last year, to no avail, and still took a chance on him this year when many people (including myself) were hoping he'd be shipped out for a bag of balls in order to let Fields develop.

Hopefully this is all something else, but with Boras involved and Crede's back involved, and with the Sox sounding like they're not as in-the-loop as they should be concerning his status, this might be the start of another Magglio Ordonez situation.

Frontman
08-17-2008, 09:11 AM
I feel for Joe, but its time to move on (and out) of baseball. Boras is going to ask for a boatload of cash, and while there will be a team out there dumb enough to give it; Crede's career has been shortened by this injury.

LITTLE NELL
08-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Ive lost all respect for Crede, as far as Im concerned I dont care if he ever plays another game for us.
Id sign Uribe to a 2 or 3 year contract, have him play 3B next year then Beckham would take over for 2010. Uribe then again would be our supersub at SS, 2B and 3B.
The ideal situation would have been for Fields to progress as a major league third baseman, it does'nt look like that is going to happen.

gobears1987
08-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Hopefully this is all something else, but with Boras involved and Crede's back involved, and with the Sox sounding like they're not as in-the-loop as they should be concerning his status, this might be the start of another Magglio Ordonez situation.
Ding Ding Ding!

We have a winner here.

Just a question of trivia. Who represented Magglio during that entire situation? I'm pretty sure you already know the answer.

Jurr
08-17-2008, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't expect any type of winning attitude from any athlete who selects Scott Bora$$ as his agent. I bet Rongey is right here. If Crede cared about winning he would have done what the Danks brothers did and dumped the slime ball. I am perfectly fine with letting Crede walk so long as he is represented by the man who is destroying baseball. **** Bora$$ and **** his clients. Crede has made a clear decision to sleep with the devil. It tells you something when Manny is the only major client he picked up last year. I would love it if Crede wised up and dumped Bora$$. Then we could re-sign a player who has his priorities straight. However, I don't think he will.
Crede's back is the issue. Read my post in the other Crede thread about disc procedures. You might change your mind.

Jurr
08-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Ding Ding Ding!

We have a winner here.

Just a question of trivia. Who represented Magglio during that entire situation? I'm pretty sure you already know the answer.
Back injuries are not easily repaired. Knees are. Period.

JGarlandrules20
08-17-2008, 12:33 PM

I really don't want them to go through something like that again, it's sad. I hope he just leaves quietly.

It's like...Fine, Joe. Go take your money. Thanks for what you gave us, but don't pretend like you want to stay here and that you're doing everything in your power for that to happen with an agent like Boras.

cws05champ
08-17-2008, 01:01 PM
All this speculation and quotes spun and spun again into Crede bashing threads here. There is the possibility that he wants to get as healthy as possible before returning to the Sox for the stretch run. Nothing would enhance Crede's value more than a strong Sept and October playoff performance, and Bora$$ knows it. Crede sitting out the last two months of this season will not enhance his value as some have speculated.

Until Crede comes out and says look I'm just not healthy enough to play, or I'm coming back and ready to go...I'm holding judgment and not beleiving all these speculative quotes.

white sox bill
08-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Baseball is a business plain and simple. I hold no ill will against Joe although I can see he wants the $$.(WHO WOULDN'T?) I too will withhold any opinion of him until I can analyse the facts

Jurr
08-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Baseball is a business plain and simple. I hold no ill will against Joe although I can see he wants the $$.(WHO WOULDN'T?) I too will withhold any opinion of him until I can analyse the facts
....or the guy may be finding out that every time he tries to get into a crouching position or swings the bat more than 10 times in a day (even BP), he can't keep his back loose.

Red Barchetta
08-17-2008, 05:33 PM
After reading through all our options and alternatives, it's funny Fields name was never mentioned. Too bad we didn't trade him for a nice return when we had the chance last winter.

TomBradley72
08-17-2008, 07:09 PM
After reading through all our options and alternatives, it's funny Fields name was never mentioned. Too bad we didn't trade him for a nice return when we had the chance last winter.

I never would have seen his regression this year coming. The most telling comment was Ozzie talking about Cora working with Fields on his footwork in spring training and saying that he saw no evidence of that when Fields was called up. Not good for Fields to have made zero progress on his defense this season. But also not a good sign for the quality of our coaching at Charlotte. Fields turns 26 in December...combined with a mediocre year this season his trade value is way down. What need would he fill for a team looking to trade?

seventyseven
08-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Ive lost all respect for Crede, as far as Im concerned I dont care if he ever plays another game for us.
Id sign Uribe to a 2 or 3 year contract, have him play 3B next year then Beckham would take over for 2010. Uribe then again would be our supersub at SS, 2B and 3B.
The ideal situation would have been for Fields to progress as a major league third baseman, it does'nt look like that is going to happen.

Crede may not be the answer, but that doesn't mean Uribe is. If Uribe is our starting 3B next year, we're in trouble.

tonyho7476
08-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Crede may not be the answer, but that doesn't mean Uribe is. If Uribe is our starting 3B next year, we're in trouble.

I wouldn't mind seeing Casey Blake.

#1swisher
08-18-2008, 12:00 PM

Lost respect for a player that's injured/recovering from surgery. :scratch:

UofCSoxFan
08-18-2008, 12:17 PM

What's the rush to move Beckham to 3B? He has the potential to be a 30 home run guy. As has been said, at SS or 2B that is an all-star. At 3B those guys are a dime a dozen. I don't think you shorten his ceiling to fill a need. If he proves he doesn't have the range to play SS or 2B in the majors thats a different story.

And anyone that wants Uribe to be our everyday 3B next year has a really short memory. Yes he has been solid defensively and he has gotten "hot" at the plate (which still doesn't give you enough production ideally from 3B). We've been down this road before. Uribe can look solid to great at the dish for a month and then one thing gets out of whack at the plate and he looks horrible. He's a good utility guy but to have him as a starter is a recipe for disastor.

People also don't realize that for a baseball player, a back injury is one of the worst to have. Any swing can set you back a couple weeks. It really is something that you have to wait to get near 100% and is an injury that is very difficult to play through effectively.

whitesox901
08-18-2008, 12:23 PM

we dont need to know what happened to Joe Crede,we can move along without him :D:

LITTLE NELL
08-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Lost respect for a player that's injured/recovering from surgery. :scratch:
Lost respect for him because he should have had the surgery after the 06 season and plus he has a scumbag for an agent.

forrestg
08-18-2008, 07:09 PM
By Crede not getting surgery in 07 we lost a lot because he missed most of 07 and may miss the rest of the 08 season.. We got to love you joe because you've been with us your whole career. how many games were won with his clutch hitting and great defense at third?

Jurr
08-18-2008, 07:17 PM
By Crede not getting surgery in 07 we lost a lot because he missed most of 07 and may miss the rest of the 08 season.. We got to love you joe because you've been with us your whole career. how many games were won with his clutch hitting and great defense at third?
Putting off that surgery didn't help or hurt his availability. The guy was in pain, and surgery on the back is AN ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT. I can pull teeth and put implants in with a fairly predictable outcome. Beckett can put a screw in a foot and feel pretty good that his patient will make a full recovery. With the back, you never know, and that's a scary proposition for an athlete to take. Crede went through with the surgery because conservative treatment wasn't helping and he had no other choice. As we are now seeing, not even that is keeping his symptoms down for long.

southside rocks
08-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Lost respect for him because he should have had the surgery after the 06 season and plus he has a scumbag for an agent.

Studies show that about half the time, back problems like what Joe has are helped by surgery, and about half the time, back problems like what Joe has are helped by physical rehab programs.

If even his doctors couldn't tell him with certainty that surgery was the better option following the 2006 season, it's not likely that a poster on an internet board, who has neither a medical degree nor any firsthand knowledge of the situation, can make that call. Joe, the selfish jerk, was concerned about his health, his family, and his career -- in that order.

I'm astounded by the number of posters who appear to be angry at Joe Crede for having a bad back.

Jurr
08-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Studies show that about half the time, back problems like what Joe has are helped by surgery, and about half the time, back problems like what Joe has are helped by physical rehab programs.

If even his doctors couldn't tell him with certainty that surgery was the better option following the 2006 season, it's not likely that a poster on an internet board, who has neither a medical degree nor any firsthand knowledge of the situation, can make that call. Joe, the selfish jerk, was concerned about his health, his family, and his career -- in that order.

I'm astounded by the number of posters who appear to be angry at Joe Crede for having a bad back.
Well said. Most orthopedic surgeons will fully counsel the patient to try less conservative methods of treatment, including ice, rest, and rehabilitation to strengthen the muscles that surround the back. When the disc tissue pushes on the nerve to the point that the patient is experiencing excruciating pain or even sciatica (which can cause numbness all the way to the heel of the foot), it's time for surgery.

Joe did what he was told, and what has transpired is EXACTLY what most lower back/herniated disc patients go through. Pain, conservative treatment, surgery as a last resort, aggravation of the back pain due to over-exertion (which is going on EVERY DAY he plays ball.)

LITTLE NELL
08-18-2008, 09:14 PM

Angry at Joe because the Sox wanted to sign him to a contract in the spring, Crede and his agent told the Sox to take a hike, well now Joe can take a hike.

beckett21
08-18-2008, 09:19 PM

Well said. Most orthopedic surgeons will fully counsel the patient to try less conservative methods of treatment, including ice, rest, and rehabilitation to strengthen the muscles that surround the back. When the disc tissue pushes on the nerve to the point that the patient is experiencing excruciating pain or even sciatica (which can cause numbness all the way to the heel of the foot), it's time for surgery.

Joe did what he was told, and what has transpired is EXACTLY what most lower back/herniated disc patients go through. Pain, conservative treatment, surgery as a last resort, aggravation of the back pain due to over-exertion (which is going on EVERY DAY he plays ball.)

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

If conservative therapy is an option you almost always go that route first, ESPECIALLY with the back. Of course surgery always remains an option if conservative treatment fails, and you won't know this until you invest the time in the conservative care. The body heals on it's own timetable, not according to a MLB schedule.

Surgery is almost always a last resort. If you do the surgery first and it fails, then what do you do? Other than retire, go on disability and live the rest of your life crippled? :dunno:

As a fan, it's a lot easier to criticize a million-dollar athlete as being selfish for doing what's in the player's own best interest. No doubt in my mind that Joe did the right thing. Boras is a separate issue entirely, but if Joe had asked for my advice (HA! :redneck) I wouldn't have told him to do anything any different than what he did.

Ziggy S
08-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Joe Crede is still alive and his first name is Joseph.